PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign RP Grant Balfour...and DFA Hancock

LawFive
01-12-2006, 04:59 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060112/SPT04/301120015

M2
01-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Hot damn!

Hands down this is the best move DanO's made since his arrival. Big props to him for landing Balfour.

RANDY IN INDY
01-12-2006, 05:01 PM
That Dan O'Brien is hard at work.

registerthis
01-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Missed the entire year with shoulder and elbow surgeries? :eek: At least it wasnt anything he might use while pitching.

His numbers in Minnesota prior to the injuries were good, though. Anyone have more details on what those injuries were?

StillFunkyB
01-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Whipeee....

Another TJ rehab project. Way to go DanO!

Joseph
01-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Wasn't he the Blackhawks goalie a few years back? </lame>

westofyou
01-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Wasn't he the Blackhawks goalie a few years back? </lame>
Grant Fuhr... and I thought about him too.

wheels
01-12-2006, 05:12 PM
At least he's not 35, and he had two decent but brief stints with the Twins.

For a guy that was non tendered, he's definitely worth a look.

Unlike most of DanO's signings, this one can't hurt.

flyer85
01-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Unlike most of DanO's signings, this one can't hurt.this one has an upside, it may not pan out but Balfour has some serious stuff and unlike a Joe Valentine, he has been dominant at the minor league level and decent at the major league level. The question is have the injuries robbed him of his stuff?

BRM
01-12-2006, 05:21 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060112/SPT04/301120015

...to the 40-man. No corresponding move yet.

That shouldn't be too hard. There are at least 10 players on the 40 man that could be released without negatively impacting the ballclub. I'm being very generous by only saying 10.

TOBTTReds
01-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Grant Fuhr... and I thought about him too.

Or Ed Belfour. I think that's who he was getting at.

RedsManRick
01-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Tony Womack has been released to open a spot on the 40 man for Grant Balfour? This is GREAT NEWS!

Oh wait... I'm day-dreaming. Nevermind.

BCubb2003
01-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Couldn't we have signed Chad Strikethree?

gm
01-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Couldn't we have signed Chad Strikethree?

The corresponding press conference = the Balfour "Declaration"?

(Middle Eastern trivia)

Roy Tucker
01-12-2006, 05:37 PM
http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/baseball/player.cgi?1876

Falls City Beer
01-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Well, his age means he's probably still going to have "stuff" remaining after the surgeries. So that much is good. I'd really love to know more about the severity of the injuries before I can make anything resembling an assessment. My money's on this deal being made on a scoop from Kullman.

"With a glimmer in his eye, DanO tucks Jimbo's dusty playbook under his arm, steals into his office, rubbing his hands in anticipation...."

Phhhl
01-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Sep. 30, 2005 - 9:23 am et

Grant Balfour had surgery yesterday to repair a torn rotator cuff and a torn labrum. He will likely miss the entire 2006 season.
Balfour had hoped to earn a roster spot in spring training, but he had a setback while trying to rehab from Tommy John surgery. Balfour may never pitch again following yesterday's surgery.
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

westofyou
01-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Sep. 30, 2005 - 9:23 am et

Grant Balfour had surgery yesterday to repair a torn rotator cuff and a torn labrum. He will likely miss the entire 2006 season.
Balfour had hoped to earn a roster spot in spring training, but he had a setback while trying to rehab from Tommy John surgery. Balfour may never pitch again following yesterday's surgery.
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

From Will Carroll back then.
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4492

Grant Balfour had his rotator cuff and labrum repaired via scope. This is on top of his Tommy John surgery. There’s no comps for this

Falls City Beer
01-12-2006, 06:00 PM
From Will Carroll back then.
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4492

Stick that fork in deep.

Cyclone792
01-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Stick that fork in deep.

Yep, the chances of him ever seeing the mound in a Reds uniform are slim to none, and slim is taking a long, hard look at the exit sign.

M2
01-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Bummer, I didn't realize the shoulder was so severe.

That said, I still like the signing. He's a big guy who had a big arm and the Reds should be willing to offer patience and medicine to guys like that. Balfour may never rebound, but I like this a hell of a lot more than trying to eke something out of a guy who's at the end of his rope.

Doc. Scott
01-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Geez... this is as much a longshot as the Luke Prokopec thing was. And Luke never got that close to an actual uniform.

Even though Grant gets a major-league deal, he can probably be stuck on the 60-day disabled list, keeping him from taking up a 40-man spot.

StillFunkyB
01-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Like I said....

Whipeee :barf:

M2
01-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Geez... this is as much a longshot as the Luke Prokopec thing was. And Luke never got that close to an actual uniform.

Even though Grant gets a major-league deal, he can probably be stuck on the 60-day disabled list, keeping him from taking up a 40-man spot.

Big difference is Balfour had WAY better stuff than Prokopec ever did.

Part of running a team is that you've got to gamble and I like this bet -- small chip, big payoff if you win.

Caveat Emperor
01-12-2006, 06:22 PM

Part of running a team is that you've got to gamble and I like this bet -- small chip, big payoff if you win.

Maybe it's a small chip bet, but we're still pushing in with 2 7 off suited right now on this one.

RedsManRick
01-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Wouldn't it have made more sense to sign Carlos Hernandez if things were this gloomy?

LawFive
01-12-2006, 06:35 PM
If he's out for 06, why sign him now? That's another $300k (minimum) and rehab that the Reds pay for. Coming off two major surgeries and two years away from the game, I doubt there would have been a huge market for him next winter.

LawFive
01-12-2006, 06:36 PM
This just added to the Enquirer write-up in the last hour:

"Right-hander Josh Hancock was designated for assignment, giving the Reds 10 days to trade Hancock, release him or put him on outright waivers."

M2
01-12-2006, 06:38 PM
If he's out for 06, why sign him now? That's another $300k (minimum) and rehab that the Reds pay for. Coming off two major surguries and two years away from the game, I doubt there would have been a huge market for him next winter.

Because the team that rehabs him might find itself with a steal on its hands. Plus, $300k would be a spit in the ocean (and it's entirely possible he'll cost less than that because he's not on the 25-man roster).

FWIW, I'd have been all for landing Carlos Hernandez and I'm still in favor of getting Wade Miller. I'd be collecting medical waste like the Jersey shoreline.

RedsManRick
01-12-2006, 06:39 PM
If he's out for 06, why sign him now? That's another $300k (minimum) and rehab that the Reds pay for. Coming off two major surguries and two years away from the game, I doubt there would have been a huge market for him next winter.

I don't think he gets ML minimum for being on the 40 man. You have to actually be on the 25 man for that. What it does mean is that he has a finite amount of options -- which shouldn't be an issue. Can somebody correct me if I'm wrong about this?

Ravenlord
01-12-2006, 06:40 PM
i'm sure it's more than this now, but back in 02 if you were on the 40-man, but not the 25-man roster, you got a minimum of $170,000.

Cyclone792
01-12-2006, 06:51 PM
2003 and 2004 MLB stats combined ...

IP Hits HR HR/9 BB BB/9 K K/9 K/BB ERA dERA
Balfour 65.1 58 8 1.10 35 4.82 72 9.92 2.06 4.27 4.16

His major league stats correlate decently to his minor league numbers. In the minors, he'd rack up the strikeouts and keep the ball in the park, but had some control problems.

Unassisted
01-12-2006, 07:11 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/cin/y2006/m01/d12/c1294792.jsp

Reds sign Balfour to one-year deal
01/12/2006 6:15 PM ET
By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

General manager Dan O'Brien has said countless times before that his small-market team must be willing to roll the dice on players coming off injuries.

Enter Grant Balfour.

The Reds signed the right-handed Balfour, who missed all of 2005 after having Tommy John surgery performed on his throwing elbow, to a one-year contract Thursday with the hope he'll rejuvenate his career in Cincinnati.

A corresponding move to clear up room for Balfour on the 40-man roster will be announced when terms of Balfour's contract are confirmed.

In other news, the club signed infielder Frank Menechino and catchers Steve Torrealba and Ryan Hanigan to Minor League contracts with invites to Spring Training camp and named Gene Kerns a professional scout.

At the end of last season, doctors predicted Balfour won't be at full strength until this May, because he suffered setbacks during his rehabilitation. This past fall, Balfour had another surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff and torn labrum.

In his career, which began with Minnesota in 2001, Balfour has typically been used as a middle reliever. He's compiled a career record of 5-1 with a 4.63 ERA in 55 appearances, including one start, over the course of the '01, '03 and '04 seasons.

The Twins did not tender a contract to Balfour last month, and the Reds swooped him up.

Balfour, who recently turned 28, showed signs of strong command at times during the 2004 season, during which he went 4-1 with a 4.35 ERA in 36 relief appearances.

TOBTTReds
01-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Why did we give him a 40 man spot?

Doc. Scott
01-12-2006, 07:14 PM
So how much more will it cost for the Reds to get DanO the therapy he needs after DFAing his beloved Josh Hancock?

Kidding aside, I still think Hancock has his uses out of the bullpen and could clear waivers.

Caveat Emperor
01-12-2006, 07:21 PM
1 year deal...So we pay him to rehab, then he can go sign wherever?

Whoever his agent is deserves a massive raise.

wheels
01-12-2006, 07:27 PM
I'll betcha we haven't seen the last of Josh Hancock as long as DanO has a job.

Hancock, Romano, and Machado are DanO's holy trinity.

KronoRed
01-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Agreed, Hancock will be back just like Machado was.

Heath
01-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Why did we give him a 40 man spot?

Why are you even asking.

Remember, this is a GM who can't horde enough utility infielders.

It's like a pelican overstuffed on fish.

Topcat
01-12-2006, 09:59 PM

Excellent point M2 i rather throw money at 3 guys like this than spending thew same $$$ on crap like what womack and Aurillia are going to produce over the next time period of 3 years. If 2 out of every 9 Balfours paid off it would be better than retarding EE's and Olmedo's futures.

red-in-la
01-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Is this a Chris Carpenter like signing?

Az. Reds Fan
01-12-2006, 10:09 PM
According to Rotoworld, we control his rights for the next 4 years...

Reds signed RHP Grant Balfour, who had been with the Twins, to a one-year contract.
We like the gamble, though Balfour is a long shot to make a positive contribution this year after undergoing surgery to repair both his labrum and his rotator cuff. Maybe he'll come back in June or July, but the Reds should be thinking about 2007 with this move. They'll control Balfour's rights for four years.

IslandRed
01-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Hmmm... conflicting info on the severity of the injury, from "may never pitch again" to today's article saying he could be full strength in May, which would imply the shoulder problems were not major. Guess we'll see. As long as there's a spot on the DL to park him, it's low-risk, and unlike some of the dreck O'Brien's brought in, the guy has (using present tense, fingers crossed) an arm.

pedro
01-12-2006, 10:28 PM
According to Rotoworld, we control his rights for the next 4 years...

Reds signed RHP Grant Balfour, who had been with the Twins, to a one-year contract.
We like the gamble, though Balfour is a long shot to make a positive contribution this year after undergoing surgery to repair both his labrum and his rotator cuff. Maybe he'll come back in June or July, but the Reds should be thinking about 2007 with this move. They'll control Balfour's rights for four years.

That's a really good point that makes this a risk worth taking IMO.

pedro
01-12-2006, 10:31 PM
I really wonder if he could eventually be a starter, as that would make him that much more valuable.

He did start some in the minors. 11 games as recently as 2003.

pedro
01-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Oh, and if his name is pronounced BALL FOUR, he'll really fit in with the other Reds pitchers.

wheels
01-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Oh, and if his name is pronounced BALL FOUR, he'll really fit in with the other Reds pitchers.

Guess he really thumbs his nose at DanO's pitch to contact theory.

Or.....

First DanO drafts a pitcher named Homer, then he signs a guy named Balfour (pronounced Ball Four) as a free agent.

How would anyone ever think that he could fix this club's pitching?

deltachi8
01-12-2006, 10:42 PM
The fact that the reds signed him to a Major League contract lends one to think more than one team was after him, but others were offering minor league deals. A big league deal put the reds over the top.

Or Dan O is just not very bright....

You can decide..

cincinnati chili
01-12-2006, 11:00 PM
"We get his rights for four years" because he had only 2 or so years of ML service time. Remember, it takes a minimum of 6 years of service to hit free agency.

He'll only hog up a 40-man spot until spring. At that point, we can move him to the 60-day DL list, adn that opens up a spot on the 40-man until he comes back.

Think of it this way:

We're going to pay him about $330,000 next year to sit and rehab. IIRC, that's about the signing bonus of a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

Considering this guy's proven he can strike out more than a hitter per inning both in the majors and in the Pacific Coast League, I think he's a MUCH safer bet than the typical fourth round draft pick - even if he'll be 29 when he pitches in a Reds' uni, and even if the Reds will only get 3 years out of him before free agency.

Unless his medical prognois is patently hopeless, this is a good gamble. He could be our closer in '07 and be a damn good one.

LoganBuck
01-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Did I just see a rotoworld update that said that they liked a move the Reds made?

Doc. Scott
01-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Given Balfour's Australian origin, his last name is very likely pronounced "BALL-FOUR". Either that or "Fostahs!"

M2
01-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Is this a Chris Carpenter like signing?

That's the thing. You never know. Balfour was young with a pile of talent and then he got injured. Medicine's a wild card. Maybe his arm is shot. Then again supposedly Felipe Lopez's 2003 leg break was so severe that he should have been happy to walk again.

Did I just see a rotoworld update that said that they liked a move the Reds made?

I know. It's positively out of character. I understand the frustration that he's not going to be any immediate help, but the pre-injury Balfour was something worth getting jazzed about. If he can get back to close to that in 2007 or 2008, we'll all be mighty pleased.

savafan
01-13-2006, 01:52 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2290548

CINCINNATI -- Right-hander Grant Balfour agreed to a one-year, $340,000 contract Thursday with the Cincinnati Reds, who decided to take a calculated risk on a pitcher still recovering from reconstructive elbow surgery.

To open a spot on their 40-man roster, the Reds designed right-hander Josh Hancock for assignment to the minors. They have 10 days to trade Hancock, release him or place him on waivers.

The 28-year-old Balfour pitched parts of three seasons for Minnesota. In his only full season in the majors, he went 4-1 with a 4.35 ERA in 2004, making 36 relief appearances for the Twins.

He went on the disabled list twice that season with shoulder tendinitis, and developed pain in his elbow. Dr. Timothy Kremchek, who works with the Reds, performed ligament replacement surgery on Balfour's elbow last April.

Minnesota decided not to offer him a contract last month, making him a free agent.

"He was originally operated on by Dr. Kremchek, so we have a pretty good idea here of what's involved," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said. "He's currently in rehab. He will be reporting to major league camp, but will not be physically able to compete for a job in spring training. If everything goes as planned, he could likely return about midseason."

Cincinnati has spent the offseason trying to upgrade a pitching staff that finished last in the National League.

Hancock was trying for a spot in the bullpen last spring training when he suffered a groin injury that lingered. He went 1-0 with a 1.93 ERA in 14 appearances at the end of the season.

Also Thursday, the Reds signed infielder Frank Menechino and catchers Ryan Hanigan and Steve Torrealba to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training.

Bill
01-13-2006, 02:37 AM
Another pitcher the Reds may look at is Brian Tallet, lhp just dfa'd by the tribe in order to add E. Perez to their 40 man. Tallet also had TJS but is now 2 years out and pitched well for most of last year. Can pitch from the pen or as a 5.

deltachi8
01-13-2006, 09:10 AM
I second the Tallet recommendation.

Kc61
01-13-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm surprised they DFA'd Hancock.

Hancock doesn't have great stuff, but when healthy has been effective. As the 11th or 12th man on a staff, there are worse candidates. Why designate him, unless he has already agreed to a minor league contract? Perhaps his injury woes are worse than I thought.

I guess they like Standridge better and feel they need to keep Sardhina on the 40. Surprised they let go of Hancock.

Krusty
01-13-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm surprised they DFA'd Hancock.

Hancock doesn't have great stuff, but when healthy has been effective. As the 11th or 12th man on a staff, there are worse candidates. Why designate him, unless he has already agreed to a minor league contract? Perhaps his injury woes are worse than I thought.

I guess they like Standridge better and feel they need to keep Sardhina on the 40. Surprised they let go of Hancock.

With most teams' 40-man rosters set, there is a chance that Hancock can slip through waivers and the Reds re-sign him to a minor league contract.

As for the Balfour signing, it is a no lose situation. How can anyone really complain about it?

lollipopcurve
01-13-2006, 09:54 AM
I like the Balfour signing.

Still, though, the signing of marginal RH relievers continues unabated, and it makes me laugh.
Plus Menenchino.

This is DanO on a bender.

Spring~Fields
01-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Seriously I am confused, can someone explain by the stats how Balfour is better than a Hancock, I looked and I don't get this move. I realize no one can make any predictions on a player with the health problems of Balfour, but when they are both healthy?

Ravenlord
01-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Hancock wishes he had Balfour's talent. look beyond the ERA.

M2
01-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Another pitcher the Reds may look at is Brian Tallet, lhp just dfa'd by the tribe in order to add E. Perez to their 40 man. Tallet also had TJS but is now 2 years out and pitched well for most of last year. Can pitch from the pen or as a 5.

He's tall and lefty. That's not a bad starting point if you're interested in being a pitcher.

Is Billy Traber still floating around? I always liked him a little better than Tallet.

savafan
01-13-2006, 02:27 PM
I just want to take a look at some of the other guys on the 40 man roster who were kept instead of Josh Hancock:

Jung Bong
Mike Burns
Dane Sardinha
Paul Wilson
Eric Milton
Tony Womack

Why?

Ravenlord
01-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Bong is better, or at least a lefty version
Burns is better
Wilson is guarenteed contract and better
Milton is guarenteed contract
Womack is the Reds savior

savafan
01-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Maybe, but with Bong and Wilson you never know if their arms may fall off tomorrow. Of course, I guess the same could be said for Balfour.

Doc. Scott
01-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Burns is better than Hancock? I sort of doubt that. Hancock has more versatility at a minimum.

Ravenlord
01-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Burns
Split ERA IP BB/9 K/9 H/9 HR/9 WHIP
Minors 3.55 595.1 1.72 7.59 8.56 0.82 1.14
Majors 4.94 27 2.32 5.81 8.42 1.74 1.19

Hancock
Minors 3.98 877.2 2.61 6.85 9.26 0.71 1.32
Majors 4.40 22 3.17 5.22 9.31 1.94 1.39ok, so they're closer to being the same guy than i first thought. but Burns is still a lot better than Hancock in potential. neither one's seen enough big league innings to make any useful inference though.

Doc. Scott
01-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Burns
Minors 3.55 595.1 1.72 7.59 8.56 0.82 1.14
Majors 4.94 27 2.32 5.81 8.42 1.74 1.19

Hancock
Minors 3.98 877.2 2.61 6.85 9.26 0.71 1.32
Majors 4.40 22 3.17 5.22 9.31 1.94 1.39ok, so they're closer to being the same guy than i first thought. but Burns is still a lot better than Hancock in potential. neither one's seen enough big league innings to make any useful inference though.

Hancock has 361 or so career innings at AAA. Burns has... thirty. Mike's minors numbers are heavily influenced by two big seasons- one at A ball and one at AA. Josh has been within a run of the 4.00 mark pretty much everywhere, and reached AAA faster.

I would have kept Hancock over Burns due to the former's versatility and proven adequacy at AAA. But it's like preferring Chicken Top Ramen over Beef, you know?

Ravenlord
01-13-2006, 03:03 PM
But it's like preferring Chicken Top Ramen over Beef, you know?
true dat.

Doc. Scott
01-13-2006, 03:07 PM
true dat.

But it's like preferring Chicken Top Ramen over Beef, you know?

...just wait until DanO finds out they have Spicy Chili Chicken (http://www.nissinfoods.com/top.htm)flavor... we'll get some Bosnian refugee guy out of the independent Winepasaukee League who walked just 0.32 batters per nine innings last year but needs a respirator and a plate of Mars bars in the dugout to be able to pitch.

Bill
01-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Traber became a FA this winter, not sure if he has been signed. Traber's injuries are on par with Balfour iirc but without the stuff. I doubt he will ever be able to reach his once promising potential. He had looked good in the long stint Cleveland game him a few years back.

Matt700wlw
01-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Think back with me now. Last year, I believe Dan O'brien said on Lance's show, basically 3 guys getting healthy was key to the season being successful down the stretch. Wily Mo Pena, Josh Hancock, and Anderson Machado.

2 of the 3 are no longer here.

I'm not sure what the point of this was, but I think the Hancock DFA triggered it.

TheBigLebowski
01-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Hancock is garbage.

KronoRed
01-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Think back with me now. Last year, I believe Dan O'brien said on Lance's show, basically 3 guys getting healthy was key to the season being successful down the stretch. Wily Mo Pena, Josh Hancock, and Anderson Machado.

I'm not sure what the point of this was, but I think the Hancock DFA triggered it.
But they will all be back.

Barbarossa
01-19-2006, 01:04 AM
Went to one of the Twin's boards to see what they thought of Balfour. If you can believe the Twins fans DanO pulled off his best deal yet. Before his arm problems Balfour was hitting 98 on the gun. If you want a guy to come in and blow batters away he's your man. He did start some in the minors but the only pitch he had confidence in was his fast ball. Ideal situation to use him in is 10 to 20 pitches. Sounds like he could be that dominant closer some are longing for. Kremcheck probably gave DanO a thumbs up on this guy. Wheathers will be traded at the deadline, we might see him then. I think he has a good chance of becoming the Red's closer in 2007.:beerme:

GAC
01-19-2006, 09:10 AM
We still got Paul Wilson. :D

TRF
01-19-2006, 11:28 AM

DanO has already brought Machado back.

westofyou
01-19-2006, 04:24 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4714

he Reds have also been looking for arms outside the organization, recently inking former Twin Grant Balfour to a one year contract. Perhaps the team best equipped to gamble on Balfour--team Medical Director Dr. Tim Kremchek has performed both of his recent operations--the Reds expect Balfour back by mid-season. While Balfour certainly has not earned the praise he has garnered in the past, he does represent a good risk. When utilized at the Major League level, he has been a league average or better pitcher, featuring good heat and a good slider. His translated statistics show that he has succeeded in most of the right places, with great K/9 and HR/9 rates and a subpar BB/9 rate. At 28, with three years of arbitration eligibility left, it’s worth it for the Reds to see if he can stay healthy and put it all together.

Matt700wlw
01-19-2006, 06:30 PM
RHP Josh Hancock today cleared waivers, was outrighted to Class AAA Louisville and was invited to Major League spring training camp.

Hancock, 27, spent most of last season on the disabled list with a strained right groin. He made 11 appearances for Louisville and 11 appearances for the Reds.

Hancock was designated for assignment January 12, when the Reds signed RHP Grant Balfour

Heath
01-19-2006, 06:34 PM
So both Machado and Hancock, at one time, two important cogs of the Reds organization have both been waived, cleared, and outrighted to AAA.

Meanwhile, DanO's swapping stories with RA & TW, while Adam Dunn sits patiently and fishes. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Dear Mr. Castellini:

Please, please, please make the bad man stop.

Sincerely,
Reds Fans.

Caveat Emperor
01-19-2006, 08:11 PM
RHP Josh Hancock today cleared waivers, was outrighted to Class AAA Louisville and was invited to Major League spring training camp.

Hancock, 27, spent most of last season on the disabled list with a strained right groin. He made 11 appearances for Louisville and 11 appearances for the Reds.

Hancock was designated for assignment January 12, when the Reds signed RHP Grant Balfour

As pitching starved as most teams are, the fact that a 27 year old with big league experience and a low-dollar figure for salary can clear waivers and be outrighted to AAA speaks volumes about the lack of talent.

But, as is always the case with the Reds, all the other teams are idiots and and we know what we're doing.

Gallen5862
01-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Reds outright Hancock to Triple-A
01/19/2006 6:08 PM ET
By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

The Reds outrighted right-hander Josh Hancock to Triple-A Louisville on Thursday and invited him to big-league Spring Training camp.
The club had designated Hancock for assignment last week, when the team signed free agent Grant Balfour.

Hancock spent the vast majority of 2005 rehabbing a right groin strain suffered during Spring Training. With a couple rehab setbacks under his belt, he didn't return to the Reds until Sept. 1.

Hancock, whom the Reds acquired from the Phillies in the 2004 Todd Jones trade, went 1-0 with a 1.93 ERA in 11 appearances last season.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reds Homepage | MLB.com

Unassisted
01-19-2006, 10:12 PM
The dictionary definition of expendable now has Josh Hancock's picture next to it.

LoganBuck
01-19-2006, 10:25 PM
I am happy on this one. I would rather see him than Standridge. Maybe that will play out in spring training.