PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign Frankie Menechino

Doc. Scott
01-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Per Rotoworld, to a minor-league deal. This just has to be for AAA, although Menechino (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/frank-menechino.shtml) might be a better use of a roster spot than Tony Womack.

"Shut Up Frankie" is colorful and gets on base. I've seen conflicting stuff about his glove.

---
How many second basemen does a team need? The Reds now have Ryan Freel, Rich Aurilia, Menechino, Ray Olmedo, Anderson Machado, Will Bergolla, Ron Oester, Jeff Treadway, Kurt Stillwell... and Tony Womack. Menechino probably won't be kept unless the Reds trade an outfielder, making both Freel and Aurilia regulars.
---

EDIT: Also catcher Steve Torrealba (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/T/steve-torrealba.shtml), who's been out injured (ACL) since four games in to the 2004 season. He's actually just 28, although he can't really hit. I suppose he hits better than Dane Sardinha, although if that isn't damning with faint praise I don't know what is.

wheels
01-12-2006, 08:23 PM
What in the world is going on?

Menechino and Olmedo would have been just as productive as Womack and Aurilia.

Not to mention cheaper.

pedro
01-12-2006, 08:25 PM
what is DanO doing? Trying to corner the market on crappy second basemen?

wheels
01-12-2006, 08:29 PM
what is DanO doing? Trying to corner the market on crappy second basemen?

Again....

I thought signing Dunn long term was the number one priority after the first of the year.

His entire tenure has been a waste of time when it isn't a complete disaster.

pedro
01-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Again....

I thought signing Dunn long term was the number one priority after the first of the year.

His entire tenure has been a waste of time when it isn't a complete disaster.

Why? Can Dunn play second base?

wheels
01-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Why? Can Dunn play second base?

:laugh:

pedro
01-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Tomorrow DanO will trade Kearns for Orlando Hudson.

RBA
01-12-2006, 08:40 PM
DanO, how about Danny Bonaduche?

pedro
01-12-2006, 08:47 PM

Good idea. I hear he got to second base when he was only twelve plus he's got good connections(wink wink) if you know what I mean.

Falls City Beer
01-12-2006, 08:49 PM

Which one?

http://www.tonyranaudo.com/images/photos/Video_Photos/The_Other_Half_%20Bonaduce.gif

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/sony_pictures/the_partridge_family___the_complete_first_season/danny_bonaduce/partridge.jpg

Heath
01-12-2006, 08:57 PM
For those of you expecting Frank Cattalanto from last night...here's what we got....

RedsManRick
01-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Apparently the idea is to create a Frankenstein's monster at 2B:

Womack's speed + Menechino's plate discipline + Aurilia's power + Olmedo's defense = a decent 2B.

But who is Dr. Frankenstein with Dr. Andrews out of commision?

KronoRed
01-12-2006, 09:30 PM
I'd love to hear Joe try and say his name :D

Heath
01-12-2006, 10:04 PM
I'd love to hear Joe try and say his name :D

He'd pronounce it Bernard Gilkey.

BTW - Very impressive Krono - 10 posts in 3 minutes. 'Fess up, doctor. How many "associates" do you have posing as Krono.....

KronoRed
01-12-2006, 10:12 PM
He'd pronounce it Bernard Gilkey.

BTW - Very impressive Krono - 10 posts in 3 minutes. 'Fess up, doctor. How many "associates" do you have posing as Krono.....
We...err I mean I am just one.

;)

Unassisted
01-12-2006, 10:16 PM
For those of you expecting Frank Cattalanto from last night...here's what we got....Sort of like inviting Sylvester Stallone to dinner and having his brother Frank show up instead.

http://www.indiavarta.com/gallery/images/2005/jan/6a/la2.jpg

Topcat
01-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Good idea. I hear he got to second base when he was only twelve plus he's got good connections(wink wink) if you know what I mean.

Punky Lazza hooked him up;) . But seriously whats the point of this move ? My theory is he wants to torment poor Ray Olmedo to the point of going poastal. If you were Ray could you truly blame him ?

corkedbat
01-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Which one?

http://www.tonyranaudo.com/images/photos/Video_Photos/The_Other_Half_%20Bonaduce.gif

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/sony_pictures/the_partridge_family___the_complete_first_season/danny_bonaduce/partridge.jpg

Loved Dennis Leary in the promo for his Comedy Central Christmas special: "There won't be any Partridges in our pear tree, unless Bonaduce decides to drop by and hang himself." :laugh:

wheels
01-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Are things getting super silly around here tonight?

Or is the fact that I've been drinking really cheap WHITE wine straight from the bottle got something to do with it?

Falls City Beer
01-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Or is the fact that I've been drinking really cheap WHITE wine straight from the bottle got something to do with it?

I was going to ask if you were drinking it straight from the box. Well, it beats drinking it straight from the toilet, I guess.

pedro
01-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Punky Lazza hooked him up;) . But seriously whats the point of this move ? My theory is he wants to torment poor Ray Olmedo to the point of going poastal. If you were Ray could you truly blame him ?

Not really I suppose. OTOH, Olmedo has no chance of ever being a decent major leaguer IMO.

wheels
01-12-2006, 11:56 PM
I was going to ask if you were drinking it straight from the box. Well, it beats drinking it straight from the toilet, I guess.

I dunno...I'm laughing at pretty much anything and everything right now.

I've basically gone through all of my normal drinking progressions, but at a very accelerated paced.

Usually it's:

1-3 drinks: Verbose, cocksure, well spoken, and controversial

3-7 drinks: controversial, sappy, prone to grandiose schemes.

7-12 drinks: sappy, giddy, somewhat whaddyacallit....cantankerous (spelling probably incorrect).

'Course, I hardly ever get to twelve, unless we're talking about beer.

But this particular brand of wine is really hitting me.

Good thing the lady's probably cuddled up on her couch with the cats tonight.

Hmmm...Maybe I should call her.

This has anything and everything to do with the state of Reds baseball, and Carson Palmer.

Yuppers.

LoganBuck
01-13-2006, 12:18 AM
That must be what Narron said, can I pretend that he said Catalanatto?

savafan
01-13-2006, 01:37 AM
I hear the Reds are also looking at Junior Spivey, Carlos Baerga and Danny Ainge.

savafan
01-13-2006, 01:43 AM
Seriously, does DanO even look at the roster when he makes moves?

Cyclone792
01-13-2006, 01:54 AM
Seriously, does DanO even look at the roster when he makes moves?

Apparently the roster page was a casualty of DanO's binder mishap. During a rough patch in the Aurilia negotations, rumor has it DanO threw his binder across the GABP offices, scattering and destroying several key pages.

TheBigLebowski
01-13-2006, 02:12 AM
I am pissed....negotiations with Luis Rivas have not yet startedl

pedro
01-13-2006, 03:26 AM
My sources indicate that the Reds are looking at bringing former Brave Mark Lemke to spring training as insurance at 2B and possibly as middle reliever utilizing his newly developed knuckle ball. Reds GM Dan OBrien was quoted as saying that he was very concerned that Reds only had 6 possible candidates for the 2B slot and too few long relievers to use in losing blowouts.

savafan
01-13-2006, 03:35 AM
Lemke is nothing without Jeff Blauser at shortstop.

KronoRed
01-13-2006, 04:05 AM
Bowden loved the tools, Dan O loves the scrappy.

pedro
01-13-2006, 04:25 AM
Lemke is nothing without Jeff Blauser at shortstop.

Budman (Blauser) was pretty good for a few years.

membengal
01-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Is Jeff Treadway not available?

Tony Cloninger
01-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Tom Lawless....bad memories of the end of the Wagner era.
He did have speed though......... Herzog liked his "intangibles" for STL during the middle to late 80's.

Rafeal Landestoy........ always thought we traded away a potential all-star in him for some no name, italian LHP.