PDA

View Full Version : McCoy: 1/13 Reds will sort through crowd at second base

Heath
01-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Narron: 'Somebody will be mad. That's fine ... I can take it'
By Hal McCoy
Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | As head coach of the Goldsboro (N.C.) Rosewood girls high school basketball team, Cincinnati Reds manager Jerry Narron was squirmy during baseball's early-December winter meetings in Dallas.

His team was 2-0 at the time, with three games scheduled during his absence. While he was at the meetings, the team went 1-2.

After he returned, Rosewood won six straight and is now 9-2, "And we beat one of the teams that beat us while I was gone, so maybe it was the coaching," he said with a sly grin.

Coaching girls basketball most likely takes his mind away from some upcoming problems with his baseball team and not only the pitching.

For several seasons, a problem existed due to an overcrowded outfield and five guys wanting to play every day. If one believes that was a crowded situation, take a peek at second base when the Reds report to their Sarasota camp in mid-February. It is more crowded than a bank teller's window where free money is being passed out.

There is Ryan Freel, Tony Womack, Rich Aurilia, Ray Olmedo and William Bergolla all going to sleep at night dreaming of turning double plays on a steady basis with shortstop Felipe Lopez.

What is a manager to do?

"First of all, I don't like to see jobs handed to kids, they have to earn them," Narron said.

His reference was to 23-year-old third baseman Edwin Encarnacion, who was called up from Class AAA Louisville on July 23 when Joe Randa was traded, but it includes Olmedo and Bergolla at second base.

Encarnacion played third base the rest of the season and hit .232 with nine homers in 211 at-bats, but struck out 60 times and was a defensive liability with 10 errors, mostly on throws.

"It will be awesome to see Encarnacion come back, but it's also awesome to see Richie (Aurilia) come back because he can play third, short and second," Narron said.

Aurilia, a free agent who re-signed with the Reds at the last possible moment, wanted some assurances he would play second base. He didn't get them, although he could win the position during spring training.

Of Freel, Narron said, "He is a special guy who is comfortable playing anywhere. We need to manufacture runs, so having him in the lineup somewhere is important to us, and I'd like to have him in the lineup at all times."

Womack is nearly a Freel knockoff a guy with speed who can play several infield positions and the outfield. Olmedo and Bergolla are long shots.

"I'll try my best to get 'em all (Freel, Aurilia, Womack) on the field whenever I can," Narron said. "It is outstanding to have three guys of that caliber. I know that if they all stay healthy, it is going to be tough and somebody is going to be mad. And that's fine with me, I can take it. You want guys who want to be on the field every inning."

Of his team without Sean Casey, traded to Pittsburgh, and with Adam Dunn moving to first base and Wily Mo Pena manning left field, Narron said, "I wish Casey wasn't in our division. That scares me.

"Strikeouts are definitely a concern," he added, realizing Dunn, Pena, Austin Kearns, Lopez and Jason LaRue all struck out more than 100 times last season. Ken Griffey Jr. whiffed 93 times and Encarnacion is a 100-K guy if he plays all year.

"But as we proved last year, we are capable of scoring a lot of runs (No. 1 in NL) and hitting a lot of home runs with these guys."

Thankfully & hopefully this charade will end soon.

deltachi8
01-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Please proceed with bringing in the Bobs so the firings can start.

Please.

Pretty Please.

RFS62
01-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Womack is nearly a Freel knockoff — a guy with speed who can play several infield positions and the outfield.

A Freel knockoff. If you mean a cheap imitation that only fools the rubes who acquire them, I'm with ya' Hal.

Roy Tucker
01-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Tony Womack, the cubic zirconia of Ryan Freels.

Ravenlord
01-13-2006, 09:23 AM
A Freel knockoff. If you mean a cheap imitation that only fools the rubes who acquire them, I'm with ya' Hal.
think Hal even knows what an OBP or a SLG is?

TRF
01-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Womack is nearly a Freel knockoff — a guy with speed who can play several infield positions and the outfield. Olmedo and Bergolla are long shots.

Except for that whole getting on base thing.

Somebody force Hal to retire now, please.

flyer85
01-13-2006, 09:25 AM
From Hal

Womack is nearly a Freel knockoff... except for the fact he can't find first base.

Ravenlord
01-13-2006, 09:37 AM
162-Game Average
Player AB H 2B 3B HR BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG
Womack 622 170 24 8 4 38 82 46 9 273 316 356
Freel 562 155 26 7 6 70 89 46 14 276 369 377

Best Season (by OBP, minimum 400 PAs)
Player AB H 2B 3B HR BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG
Womack 553 170 22 3 5 36 60 26 5 307 349 385
Freel 505 140 21 8 3 67 88 37 10 277 375 368

KronoRed
01-13-2006, 09:57 AM
When the team is gonna suck it's ok to let a kid have a job, if he tanks you act then.

NJReds
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Except for that whole getting on base thing.

Somebody force Hal to retire now, please.

And to say that Womack plays OF is a stretch. The Yankees put him out in LF for a few games last year, but I wouldn't consider him an option there.

BRM
01-13-2006, 10:04 AM
The worst pitching staff in the NL and the Reds are stockpiling second basemen. :confused:

The Reds will have no range at 2B, 3B, and CF on Opening Day.

Johnny Footstool
01-13-2006, 10:21 AM
After he returned, Rosewood won six straight and is now 9-2, "And we beat one of the teams that beat us while I was gone, so maybe it was the coaching," he said with a sly grin.

Sounds like Narron has found his calling -- coaching girls' basketball.

Please join me in encouraging him to follow that dream on a full-time basis.

corkedbat
01-13-2006, 04:47 PM
think Hal even knows what an OBP or a SLG is?

He said those were the abbreviations for Oak Barrell Punch (Bourbon) & Sloe Gin

Heath
01-13-2006, 04:53 PM
I thought OBP was something you got when you didn't take a shower.....

Heath
01-13-2006, 04:54 PM

Yeah, I wonder how he does when he has 12 players on his roster and 6 of them are point guards.....

Chip R
01-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I wonder how he does when he has 12 players on his roster and 6 of them are point guards.....

I know he wouldn't start a more talented freshman over a less talented senior.

KronoRed
01-13-2006, 07:56 PM
I know he wouldn't start a more talented freshman over a less talented senior.
That SR has experience and that counts more then actual results

;)

MrCinatit
01-13-2006, 08:29 PM
"It will be awesome to see Encarnacion come back, but it's also awesome to see Richie (Aurilia) come back because he can play third, short and second," Narron said.

Read: Ed who? Rich, whoohoo.

i might go to Florida this spring, just so i can personally take Narron, Dan0, Rich, Tony and Eric on a little "boat trip" into the gulf.
anyone want to come with?

Gainesville Red
01-14-2006, 01:09 AM
Thank goodness we've got a bunch of second basemen, next order of business should be to sign a few more crappy relievers.

registerthis
01-14-2006, 01:14 AM
I'd like to sign some more catchers. Preferably ones with weak bats, crappy D and who are slow of foot. Those are, after all, apparently the traits we look for in second basemen.

BTW Womack = Freel? Not by any mathematical theory I ever learned.

Cyclone792
01-14-2006, 01:28 AM
The only you thing you get out of a McCoy article involving O'Brien and/or Narron is a diatribe from the good ole boy's congregation. I especially loved McCoy's assertion that Encarnacion is a liability at third base defensively. Right, Hal, whatever you say ...

O'Brien is an idiot. Narron is an idiot. McCoy is an idiot. The only possible question is which one is the biggest idiot.

KronoRed
01-14-2006, 03:12 AM
BTW Womack = Freel? Not by any mathematical theory I ever learned.
Both first names are 4 letters and 2 Syllables.

That's all I have.

Jpup
01-14-2006, 03:25 AM
The only you thing you get out of a McCoy article involving O'Brien and/or Narron is a diatribe from the good ole boy's congregation. I especially loved McCoy's assertion that Encarnacion is a liability at third base defensively. Right, Hal, whatever you say ...

O'Brien is an idiot. Narron is an idiot. McCoy is an idiot. The only possible question is which one is the biggest idiot.

O'brien......not even close.;)

MartyFan
01-14-2006, 07:41 PM

And we won't need them.

Every ball hit will be out of the yard!

MartyFan
01-14-2006, 07:43 PM
The worst pitching staff in the NL and the Reds are stockpiling second basemen. :confused:

The Reds will have no range at 2B, 3B, and CF on Opening Day.

Meant too quote this post before...sorry.

And we won't need them.

Every ball hit will be out of the yard.

GAC
01-15-2006, 06:49 AM
What did you expect when McCoy titles his article, on the resigning of Aurilia, good news? ;)

We have such uncertainty in the INF (with the exception of SS and 1B - though I'll withhold judgment there until I see how Dunn does after a full year at 1B, and also with Lopez at SS).

But acquiring Womack, and then resigning RA (and this is not a defense of them either), has nothing to do, nor did it prevent us from acquiring quality pitching. The market did. The FA market on pitching sucked, and I'm glad they didn't try to enter the stakes, seeing what mediocre pitchers were being signed for. We made our mistakes last year. Perfectly content to sit back and watch some of the other teams do it this off-season.

If we had - we'd have simply dug the hole even deeper. ;)

Jpup
01-15-2006, 07:08 AM
What did you expect when McCoy titles his article, on the resigning of Aurilia, good news? ;)

We have such uncertainty in the INF (with the exception of SS and 1B - though I'll withhold judgment there until I see how Dunn does after a full year at 1B, and also with Lopez at SS).

But acquiring Womack, and then resigning RA (and this is not a defense of them either), has nothing to do, nor did it prevent us from acquiring quality pitching. Thge market did. The FA market on pitching sucked, and I'm glad they didn't try to enter the stakes, seeing what mediocre pitchers were being signed for. We made our mistakes last year. Perfectly content to sit back and watch some of the other teams do it this off-season.

If we had - we'd have simply dug the hole even deeper. ;)

The could and still can make some trades. The market doesn't stop that from happenning. The GM does.:(

Chip R
01-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Thank goodness we've got a bunch of second basemen, next order of business should be to sign a few more crappy relievers.

That was so 2004.

BoydsOfSummer
01-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Womack is versatile...he can makes outs at five different positions!

GAC
01-15-2006, 07:57 PM
The could and still can make some trades. The market doesn't stop that from happenning. The GM does.:(

It does when the shelves at the market are pretty bare, and people are scrambling paying $100 for a box of Fruit Loops, and you're outside the store wanting to barter with dirt. ;)

Redsland
01-15-2006, 09:29 PM
The FA market on pitching sucked, and I'm glad they didn't try to enter the stakes, seeing what mediocre pitchers were being signed for. We made our mistakes last year. Perfectly content to sit back and watch some of the other teams do it this off-season.
I agree when it comes to most of the free agents. Let the Dodgers render unto Dreifort what is Dreifort's.

But there is the trade market, as Jpup said. We've got the best offense in baseball. It boasts one of the top five or so players in the game, the best catching tandem in the league, a resurgent All-Century player, the next Sammy Sosa, the next Brian Giles, the next Alfonzo Soriano, the Edgar Rentaria, the next Trevor Hoffman, the next Brad Lidge, the last Rich Aurilia, and a half-dozen erstwhile veterans, plus some nice toss-in from the lower minors. Some of those guy are worth something to somebody.

Danny Serafini
01-16-2006, 10:35 AM
We've got the best offense in baseball. It boasts one of the top five or so players in the game, the best catching tandem in the league, a resurgent All-Century player, the next Sammy Sosa, the next Brian Giles, the next Alfonzo Soriano, the Edgar Rentaria, the next Trevor Hoffman, the next Brad Lidge, the last Rich Aurilia, and a half-dozen erstwhile veterans, plus some nice toss-in from the lower minors.

If we actually had all that we wouldn't be complaing about having to watch a 5th place team.

registerthis
01-16-2006, 10:53 AM
If we actually had all that we wouldn't be complaing about having to watch a 5th place team.

What we also have his a pitching staff with the worst ERA this side of Coors.

That ain't gonna get it done.

membengal
01-17-2006, 07:08 AM
Womack is versatile...he can makes outs at five different positions!

Heh. Quality.

In my idle moments, I imagine what Paul DePodesta's hire would mean in terms of the old boy congregation, and the thought of them collectively blowing up makes my chuckle. Which is more pleasure than I have gotten out of this off-season so far.

By the way, the Reds have fallen into the Bengals' trap (Richmond Webb anyone?) from the lost years. There once was a time when Womack was useful, but that time was eight years ago. But O'B and Allen look at him and Narron prattles on about how he is a guy who will get on base etc. etc. Well, if he once was that, he is no longer. You are not supposed to take a guy eight years after he had value and expect to get that same value. It doesn't work that way. Their inability to spot value in talent on the way up, combined with their over-valuing talent that is decaying is at once breath-taking and terrifying.