PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sweeney: 1999 Royals teammates used steroids

savafan
01-16-2006, 10:11 AM
http://sportsline.com/general/story/9164034

Jan. 14, 2006
Wichita Eagle

Were the 1999 Royals using steroids?

You'd never have guessed it by their record: The Royals finished a woeful 64-97 that season, 32 games behind the first-place Cleveland Indians.

But Royals slugger Mike Sweeney said on talk radio Friday and to the Kansas City Star that he was approached by friends on the team who had "the juice."

Sweeney told the Star later Friday that he has never taken steroids.

"There would have been no repercussions back then," Sweeney said by phone from California. "There was no testing like that. But I knew in my heart it was wrong, and I had my faith to get me through it."

Sweeney said he also has no intentions of naming those who may have been using steroids.

"We are a family in the clubhouse," he said. "What happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse. It's like that saying about Vegas -- what happens there, stays there.

"I also don't want to give the impression that there was rampant usage back then. There wasn't. In my 11-year career, I may have known four or five guys who might have been doing it. That's it."

As bad as the Royals were in 1999, that team did perform well offensively, batting .282 with a then-franchise-high 856 runs scored.

"I took a stand, and when I speak to kids -- to the D.A.R.E. program or the Fellowship of Christian Athletes -- I tell them, 'Look, I'm drug-free and I mean it when I say it,'" Sweeney said.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Players on the 1999 Royals:

Carlos Febles
Joe Randa
Rey Sanchez
Johnny Damon
Carlos Beltran
Jermaine Dye
Jeremy Giambi

redsfan30
01-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Beltran and Damon are some very interesting names on that list.

marcshoe
01-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Jeremy G's already admitted to taking steroids, hasn't he?

I get the feeling that you could say the same thing about (nearly?) every team in baseball. But maybe I'm just feeling cynical this morning.

Johnny Footstool
01-16-2006, 10:22 AM
It's probably Jeremy Giambi.

cincinnati chili
01-16-2006, 11:10 AM
It's probably Jeremy Giambi.

Yep. And the KC front office took a lot of heat for unloading him (including from me). If this was the reason, then I beg their pardon.

savafan
01-16-2006, 11:14 AM
http://sportsline.com/general/story/9164034

But Royals slugger Mike Sweeney said on talk radio Friday and to the Kansas City Star that he was approached by friends on the team who had "the juice."

Friends is plural, meaning more than one.

ED44
01-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Wasn't that the year that Febles came out and had people talking all-star? Nothing has been heard from him since either. There are definitely some interesting names there...

Team Clark
01-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Bob Hamelin??? LOL!!!!!!

this1belongs2
01-16-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't think Randa or Damon would have done it.

savafan
01-16-2006, 02:26 PM
I don't think Randa or Damon would have done it.

Based on what? Their character? All people have flaws, it doesn't make them bad.

registerthis
01-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Based on what? Their character? All people have flaws, it doesn't make them bad.

Well, Randa, for one, ha sput up rather consistent numbers during his career. There's been no noticeable "spike" in performance (or in body size, for that matter.) Additioanlly, he's become somewhat renowned for hsi work ethic--so based on nothing more than that I would express surprise if it comes out that Randa had used steroids. I simply don't see any evidence to support it.

Damon, I really have no idea. And that, really, is the saddest result of baseball's steroid scandal. Everyone is under suspicion, regardless of evidence. All numbers and records are viewed with a question mark. And that is truly unfortunate.

cincinnati chili
01-16-2006, 03:35 PM
And that, really, is the saddest result of baseball's steroid scandal. Everyone is under suspicion, regardless of evidence. All numbers and records are viewed with a question mark. And that is truly unfortunate.

Yes.

Hondo
01-18-2006, 08:28 AM
The Royals have the worst General Manager in all of Baseball South of Cincinnati... Allard Baird is a WAL-MART Greeter at best...Not a GM.

Oh, Say NO to Steroids Royal players...Even though you need every advantage...

JaredRoberts.com

RedsBaron
01-18-2006, 09:01 AM
And that, really, is the saddest result of baseball's steroid scandal. Everyone is under suspicion, regardless of evidence. All numbers and records are viewed with a question mark. And that is truly unfortunate.
Yes, but the players have no one to blame for this state of affairs but themselves. The players union successfully resisted any meaningful steroid testing for years.

Chip R
01-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Bob Hamelin??? LOL!!!!!!

Maybe he took the fat steroids. :lol:

As for the players resisting any steroid testing, when was it ever put on the table by the owners? They are not exactly blameless in this matter.