PDA

View Full Version : 24 Season 5

Pages : [1] 2

savafan
01-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Holy crap!

Palmer and Michelle dead, Tony in critical condition, President Logan still an idiot and his wife is crazy, and Jack is Frank and fighting mad.

Sean Astin joins the cast tonight, Elisha Cuthbert is back as Kim in three weeks, and C. Thomas Howell joins the cast in four weeks. This season is shaping up to be even better than last year, which was pretty good!

westofyou
01-16-2006, 12:48 PM
I don't watch it. But if I tivioed it and I opened this post I'd be pissed. :laugh:

KronoRed
01-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Yea..how bout some spoiler warnings in the title there ;)

savafan
01-16-2006, 12:52 PM
There's no excuse for not watching it. ;)

westofyou
01-16-2006, 12:54 PM
There's no excuse for not watching it. ;)
Never seen it.

But I dream the commericals now.

Aceking
01-16-2006, 01:13 PM
I'll chat with you Sava.

I'll agree with your "Holy Crap!" I think when Palmer got shot, it was the first time I've ever said "Oh My God" out loud while watching a TV show.

Great 2 episodes. I'm expecting the death of Michelle to push Tony further to a Jack Bauer like level of mericlousness (if that's a word).

Very excited about Season 5.

Puffy
01-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Wow.

Awesome beginning to Season 5.

Roy Tucker
01-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Our little Chloe is getting all grown up.

I see a little of DanO in Charles Logan.

Walt is a snake.

How long till Tony spontaneously recovers and joins Jack in bad-guy-butt-kicking?

And Derek decides he likes what Frank/Jack does for a living and joins in the fun?

Falls City Beer
01-16-2006, 02:11 PM
How long till Tony spontaneously recovers and joins Jack in bad-guy-butt-kicking?

I'm teaching a class right now on revenge tragedies (revenge as metaphor)--I'm going to have to tell my kids to tune in to this show; it seems the revenge motif has been established early with Michelle's death and Jack's brutal revenge slaying of the gunman who killed Palmer. I don't know this, but I suspect Tony, like Hieronymo before him, will be revenged, only to die himself in the act of said revenge.

The more things change....

LoganBuck
01-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Over-under in weeks/hours till Tony is brandishing a gun and fighting bad guys? I am guessing he rubs some asprin on it and is fighting fit in March.

I loved the show last night. I have Tivo now and found that not watching it until it was half over was much more enjoyable. Just skip forward and don't watch the commercials.

HotCorner
01-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Great start to the season! With Jack no longer tied to CTU, this could get even more interesting.

savafan
01-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Best line from last night:

"The only reason you're conscious right now is because I don't want to carry you."

Matt700wlw
01-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Chloe packing a gun....who woulda thunk it?

Unassisted
01-16-2006, 04:05 PM
I have Tivo now and found that not watching it until it was half over was much more enjoyable. Just skip forward and don't watch the commercials.I can top that. I watched it last night after it aired on a ReplayTV with automatic commercial skip. During the entire show, I saw parts of maybe 2 commercials that didn't get skipped. Took about an hour and 20 minutes to watch the whole thing. :cool:

savafan
01-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Chloe packing a gun....who woulda thunk it?

She did that a little bit last year. She is starting to grow on me, becoming a little less annoying.

Since I know Kim is coming back, it'd be nice if Chase came back too.

Falls City Beer
01-16-2006, 04:47 PM
She did that a little bit last year. She is starting to grow on me, becoming a little less annoying.

Didn't Chase die?

Matt700wlw
01-16-2006, 04:50 PM
I don't think he died....just had a slight arm issue

:)

Falls City Beer
01-16-2006, 04:52 PM

Oh, that's right.

savafan
01-16-2006, 04:54 PM

Yep. Last mention of Chase came during last season when Jack said that he and Kim were living together outside of LA.

I'm glad that I don't live in Columbia, I would have gone postal if this had happened to me. As it is, I'm taking a vacation day tonight so I don't miss the next two episodes (I usually don't work late on Monday nights, figures once 24 starts, my job, which I'll be leaving soon enough, changes that on the schedule).

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/13635789.htm

By ADAM BEAM
Staff Writer

Midlands fans of the FOX show “24” are used to cliffhangers — but nothing like what happened during the fifth-season premiere Sunday night.

WACH-TV, Columbia’s FOX affiliate, cut away from the last 10 minutes of the blockbuster show to start its 10 p.m. newscast — leaving fans in the Midlands hanging.

“Somebody has lost their mind,” said Steve Arnold, a fan who was watching the show at his Irmo home.

FOX has been promoting the show’s two-part, two-hour season premiere for weeks. It was scheduled to start at 8 p.m., after the conclusion of the NFL playoff game between the Carolina Panthers and the Chicago Bears.

The game went long, pushing the start of “24” back about 10 minutes — and ideally pushing back the start of the newscast.

WACH has a contract with WIS-TV, which produces WACH news programs, to broadcast its news at 10 p.m. If, for some reason, WACH has to delay broadcast, the station can record the newscast and air it later.

Sunday night, that didn’t happen.

“They should have realized that it was running over,” WACH station manager Scott McBride said from his home Sunday night. “They just opted to take the news live, and that was a mistake.

“WIS or WACH-TV did not communicate to each other that the game was running long and that it was going to be a problem.”

Barry Ahrendts, WIS’ director of marketing and programming, confirmed the two stations’ contractual obligations.

“As to what exactly happened tonight,” he said, “I don’t know; I wasn’t there.”

Paul Teeple, 43, of Columbia, hadn’t missed a second of “24” from the start — even from 2001 to 2003, while working in Nicaragua for his employer, an international development nonprofit organization. He had friends record it for him.

“I’m mad, I’m upset, and I’m having a hard time rationalizing this,” he said. “This is the one TV show you wait for and wait for, and there’s always a cliffhanger — but this is too much.

“It was irresponsible; I found it disrespectful of WACH to its viewers.”

McBride said the station will re-air the entire show — but not before Part 2 of the season premiere, which airs at 8 tonight.

That doesn’t work well with the unique format of “24.” Each hourlong episode chronicles a “real-time” hour in the life of federal agent Jack Bauer, played by Kiefer Sutherland.

While most shows start in the fall and continue throughout the season with occasional reruns, “24” starts in January and runs straight through to May with no reruns.

“If you miss an episode, you’re out of the loop,” said 41-year-old Barry Ammons of Columbia. “That’s just a big screw-up.”

The “24” mishap might remind another generation of viewers of a national TV goof on Sept. 17, 1968, when NBC cut off the last hour of a pro football game to show the made-for-TV movie “Heidi.”

As a result, football fans missed it when the Oakland Raiders scored two touchdowns in nine seconds to beat the New York Jets.

After WACH’s 35-minute newscast — which did not acknowledge the loss of the last 10 minutes of “24” — the station aired a 30-minute infomercial for a diet book, “The Omega 3 Miracle.”

But the coup de grace for “24” fans came next, when WACH broadcast a rerun of a Season 1 episode of — you guessed it — “24.”

savafan
01-17-2006, 01:13 AM
Samwise Gamgee saved the day!

What an amazing two more episodes. This is going to make it very difficult to wait an entire week now before getting my next fix.

Redsland
01-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Dan O'Brien in “162”

The following events take place between 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.

DO: Madge? Any calls for me?

M: No, Mr. O’Brien

DO: Oh. Okay.

Next week on “162”

DO: Madge? I’m gonna be down the hall for a minute if anyone calls for me.

M: Okay, Mr. O’Brien.

tick, tick, tick, tick

savafan
01-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Important Safety Tips To Remember When Watching 24

1. Do Not Assassinate Friends of Jack Bauer.

2. Do Not Threaten to Kill Friends of Jack Bauer.

3. Do Not Taunt Jack Bauer.

4. Do Not Chase Guys Who Look Like Terrorists Into Airports Behind Jack Bauer.

5. If You Are a Friend of Jack Bauer, Consider the Remote Starter Option Now Available on Most Autmobiles.

6. If You Encounter Jack Bauer and Lots of Smoke in an Open Area, Leave Immediately.

7. Do Not Stand Between Jack Bauer and a Crime Scene.

8. Do Not Stand Between Jack Bauer and the Exit Route From a Crime Scene

9. Do Not Sit Too Close to Jack Bauer's TV, Especially if Jack's team just received a bad call and Jack reaches under the cushions.

10. It is usually a good idea to get Jack to promise not to let anything happen to you... unless your name is Behrooz.

savafan
01-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Jack Bauer facts:

If you wake up in the morning, it's because Jack Bauer spared your life.

If Jack Bauer was in a room with Hitler, Stalin, and Nina Meyers, and he had a gun with 2 bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.

There are only 2 types of people in the world: • Those who will do anything for Jack...and eventually die as a result. • Those who are secretly plotting to betray Jack, and who will eventually die as a result.

Jack Bauer was never addicted to heroin. Heroin was addicted to Jack Bauer.

Jack Bauer's favorite color is severe terror alert red. His second favorite color is violet, but just because it sounds like violent.

Jack Bauer got Hellen Keller to talk.

1.6 billion Chinese are angry with Jack Bauer. Sounds like a fair fight.

Superman wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

Jack Bauer doesn't miss. If he didn't hit you it's because he was shooting at another terrorist twelve miles away.

Lets get one thing straight, the only reason you are conscious right now is because Jack Bauer does not feel like carrying you.

Killing Jack Bauer doesn't make him dead. It just makes him angry.

Jack Bauer does not sleep. The only rest he needs is what he gets when he's knocked out or temporarily killed.

The original script of 24 had Jack Bauer use only his hands to kill the terrorist but Jack said give me a gun to give them a chance.

Season 5 of 24 was supposed to be Jack Bauer fighting Chuck Norris and Vin Diesel. This idea was abandoned when Jack defeated them and nothing else could be found to fill the other 23 hours and 59 minutes.

Guns dont kill people, Jack Bauer kills people.

Whenever Jack Bauer's cars run out of gas, he simply does one of two things: either hotwires another person's car or points a gun at another person and takes it. Basically he is the Federal Agent equivalent of "Grand Theft Auto".

Jack Bauer's family threw him a surprise birthday party when he was a child. Once.

Jesus died and rose from the dead in 3 days. It took Jack Bauer less than an hour. And he's done it twice.

Losing a colleague or loved one for Jack Bauer is comparable to the feeling of missing the elevator for most people.

LoganBuck
01-22-2006, 12:59 AM
sava, did you write those or did you get them emailed to you? That was great.

I can't wait for Monday. I have been planning my week around it.

savafan
01-22-2006, 01:03 AM
sava, did you write those or did you get them emailed to you? That was great.

I can't wait for Monday. I have been planning my week around it.

I wish I could take the credit for those, but nah, you can find random Jack Bauer facts at:

http://www.notrly.com/jackbauer/index.php

LoganBuck
01-23-2006, 11:19 PM
Walt Cummings is going to have a bad afternoon.

savafan
01-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Walt Cummings is going to have a bad afternoon.

Probably the understatement of the year.

I loved when things looked like they were getting predictable last night, they pulled the tablecloth out from under the dishes.

MWM
01-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Probably the understatement of the year.

I loved when things looked like they were getting predictable last night, they pulled the tablecloth out from under the dishes.

Yep, they're learning and things are moving very quickly this season. I was afraid the whole Cummings thing was going to linger for most of the season, but it appears they've already exposed him already. I like that approach.

Unassisted
01-24-2006, 11:01 AM
I loved when things looked like they were getting predictable last night, they pulled the tablecloth out from under the dishes.I thought last night's episode was kind of a wheel-spinner. Not much action. Too much "Welcome back, Jack." But the Audrey character bugged me last season, too. ;)

Why did none of those cameras catch the SWAT team van pulling out of the hangar? We saw the yellow-tie guy go into the hangar, so the cameras were pointed at the building.

It seemed like little attention was being paid to the unknown vehicle carrying the nerve gas, once it was established that there was nerve gas missing from the hangar. The farther it got from the airport, the harder it would have been to find.

And how did the computer repair guy get the gun through security?

RFS62
01-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Yep, they're learning and things are moving very quickly this season. I was afraid the whole Cummings thing was going to linger for most of the season, but it appears they've already exposed him already. I like that approach.

Yeah, they started killing off bad guys much faster last year. It was a big change, and it really worked.

Wonder what Jack has in store for a White House Chief of Staff who was an accessory to the assasination of a former president?

MWM
01-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Why did none of those cameras catch the SWAT team van pulling out of the hangar? We saw the yellow-tie guy go into the hangar, so the cameras were pointed at the building.

Yeah, stuff like that bothers me. To enjoy the show I've accepted there are certain little things you have to overlook, but that one's pretty big and a little TOO obvious.

rdiersin
01-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Yeah, they started killing off bad guys much faster last year. It was a big change, and it really worked.

Wonder what Jack has in store for a White House Chief of Staff who was an accessory to the assasination of a former president?

I don't know, but from the scenes for next week it seemed that the incompetent president will take Walts side and Jack is going to get framed or something.

RFS62
01-24-2006, 11:19 AM
I don't know, but from the scenes for next week it seemed that the incompetent president will take Walts side and Jack is going to get framed or something.

Yeah, only delaying the inevitible, I'd think.

They really need to let Jack get his hands on that weasel, maybe saving the first lady in the process.

Roy Tucker
01-24-2006, 11:20 AM
I thought last night's episode was pretty good. The show is moving at a good pace and the plot is like an onion getting peeled back in layers like last year.

I do want to know how Walt the Mole got where he is while being a bad guy.

The SWAT van thing bugged me some, but I soon forgot about it.

I thought Spencer was your average garden-variety 24 mole, but him working for the White House was a nice little wrinkle.

The added impetus that Jack added to the scissors in the neck of the fake doctor got a "gaaahhh" from my wife and daughter (who have become 24 fans this season) and a "woooooo" from me.

I figured the gun was either plastic or the pieces were disguised as other tools.

My wife is cheering for wacked-out Martha. FLOTUS on the run.

President Logan reminds me a little of DanO.

savafan
01-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Crafty move by the writers to get the viewers to love President Palmer and now hate President Logan, no?

Puffy
01-24-2006, 11:42 AM

I don't know - I kinda think that is all a CTU ploy to get Jack into the White House to get his hands on Walt.

We shall see.

LoganBuck
01-24-2006, 03:18 PM
You know what really irks me about the show the most? The time spent in traffic. You cannot get anywhere in LA in less than an hour. Especially during day time. Yet Jack can hop in a SUV and be driven from an Ontario Airport to CTU and apparently to the Presidents location in less than 2 hours.

The scissors to the neck was kind of gross, then when he pushed it in for some reason I was thinking "Yeah, take that".

savafan
01-24-2006, 03:35 PM
I wonder how the viewing public would react if the terrorists won a day?

Matt700wlw
01-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Crafty move by the writers to get the viewers to love President Palmer and now hate President Logan, no?

Logan's a republican ;)

Unassisted
01-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Speaking of President Logan, what happened to the President who crashed in Air Force One last season? I thought he survived the crash, but was unconscious when Logan took over. I'd think he might have recovered enough to return to power in the ensuing year and a half.

Puffy
01-24-2006, 04:58 PM
He died last year, I'm pretty sure. He survived for awhile but died in one of the last hours or so.

savafan
01-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Great interview with one of the writers. No spoilers:

http://www.slate.com/id/2134395/?GT1=7641

By James Surowiecki
Posted Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2006, at 8:44 PM ET

When 24 debuted on Fox in November of 2001, its chances of survival appeared slim at best. The show's narrative conceit—each season tells the story of a single day in 24 hourlong episodes—seemed far too demanding for viewers who seemed to prefer the satisfactions of stories that were neatly contained in a single episode. And 24's focus on the fight against terrorism—its chief protagonists are members of the Los Angeles office of a government agency called the Counter-Terrorist Unit—hardly offered escapist fare in the wake of 9/11. But over 24's first four seasons, those seeming weaknesses have proved to be its most important strengths. The show's inherently suspenseful real-time format distinguishes it from everything else on television, and the real-life fight against terrorism has given 24 a political and even moral depth that might otherwise have been missing. While the show is, at heart, an unabashed thriller, it is distinguished by its narrative and emotional complexity (and by Kiefer Sutherland's exceptional work as Jack Bauer). Michael Loceff has been one of 24's key writers and producers since the show began. He was in his office at Real Time Productions when we spoke by phone, shortly before the remarkable four-hour debut of 24's fifth season this past Sunday and Monday.

Slate: Where did the concept for 24 come from? Did it start as a show about counterterrorism or as a show that would take place in 24 episodes over a single day?

Loceff: It really started with a single idea from a single person, Joel Surnow. He came up with the idea of a show that took place in 24 hour-length, real-time episodes over the course of one day, and he called Bob Cochran, his producing partner, and pitched it to him. And Bob said, "It's a great idea, it'll never work, don't call me again." The idea that you could stitch together every detail episode to episode and preserve continuity for the length of a season and tell a story while using no time cuts, no flashbacks, nothing but pure real time just seemed too difficult. To create a situation where each new episode has to start in the exact same place as the previous one, with the actors' hair in the exact same place, seemed crazy. But Joel called Bob back the next day, and that was it.

Slate: So, where did the counterterrorism angle come from?

Loceff: Well, given that we decided we wanted to do a show in which all the action would be contained within a single day, we had to ask ourselves: What kind of situation would warrant doing 24 hours straight, nonstop, where our main characters couldn't sleep, couldn't go out for a meal, couldn't take a nap? And we needed a situation where personal and professional problems would intersect, where the characters couldn't put them aside. We wanted to give our characters no time to think in ordinary terms because the dilemmas they face are so overwhelming, where ideas of ordinary comfort don't even come into play. You ask yourself what kind of story carries that kind of weight, and the counterterrorism angle seems natural. Also, don't forget where we came from—La Femme Nikita [a show Loceff, Surnow, and Cochran all previously worked on] was about a global anti-terrorist unit, so that wasn't too far from our awareness.

Slate: The early episodes of the first season were written before 9/11 occurred. What difference did 9/11—and the war on terror that's followed—make?

Loceff: I actually don't think it had a major impact on the show itself, but it obviously had a huge impact emotionally on all of us who were involved with it. We were writing the fourth, fifth, and sixth episodes when 9/11 happened, and the first show hadn't even aired yet. Now, there was an explicit impact on that first show because it ends up with a plane being blown up. That obviously was very close to the bone, but it was also essential to the plot. So, it was recut to be less violent and visceral. There was no need to do anything to create a sense of horror, because we were all going to feel that instinctively. But the first season did not involve Middle Eastern terrorism, and I think that helped us, because we could stay away from issues that may have still felt too raw and real and paralleled the news too much.

Slate: 9/11 clearly raised the stakes for what you're doing: On the one hand, the show now has an inherent dramatic allure. On the other, it's not obvious that viewers actually want to see the things that we're most afraid of. How do you balance between those two poles?

Loceff: I think in every season we've based our A-story—which is the main terrorist story—on plausible scenarios. But just because it's plausible doesn't make it probable, and I don't think you should watch 24 expecting to see a forecast of what the fight against terrorism is going to look like in the real world somewhere down the line. As far as how important the real-life resonance of the stories is, I think it must play at least a small role in the show's success, because it gives the show this sense of suspense from the fact that it seems at least plausible. But I don't think it plays a major role: The X-Files was very successful, and most Americans don't have any worries about aliens taking over the government. So, I think there's a good case that the show would have legs even if it had nothing to do with the day's headlines.

Slate: How much work do you put into making the show realistic? There seem to be times when realism and drama inevitably come into conflict.

Loceff: We do have an investment in plausibility. We've hired writers who have done heavy research in espionage and anti-terrorism and worked with the government. And we've met with consultants from the intelligence community and other parts of the government, just to help stir up ideas and help us come up with something that seems compelling. But I think ultimately what makes the show is not the reality but the drama. Joel and Bob approach 24 the way they have always approached dramatic television: They've approached it with the idea that the drama is, in the end, more important than the factual aspect of the story. Joel in particular is really good at ignoring reality when it's convenient.

I actually started in the opposite place. I come from a technical background—I'm a mathematician and a programmer by trade—and I was one of those people who would watch a show and say, "Oh, that could never happen." And I know that those people sometimes watch 24 and get frustrated. But ultimately people don't watch shows because of how realistic they are. They watch them because of the same dramatic elements that have always made stories interesting. And fundamentally if those elements don't work, no amount of reality is going to be enough to keep people watching a show. The rule, I think, is: Do your homework, learn what there is to learn about the real world, and then when you get in the room, forget it all.

Slate: One of the places where 24 and the real world have intersected most powerfully is on the question of torture. On 24, torture is regularly used in interrogation. Some critics believe that 24 actually plays to our desire to witness torture, that it is, in some sense, "torture porn." How do you make sense of and justify the role of torture in the show?

Loceff: I absolutely do not believe that the show is, in any sense, torture porn. This is something we talk about a lot. Torture is of no interest to us as torture, and we're not anxious to show it, nor do we want to watch it. We don't want to go to any level of great detail in depicting it, and there are many times when we will pull back from the original idea because it seems too much. I think its real use in the show, aside from its narrative function, is to create dramatic conflict, conflict not just between two people but within characters as well. If you look at any given torture scene in the show, you'll find that there's something in it that shows someone's distaste or disgust. And Jack Bauer's decision to torture people for information in the past has cost him, because it's shown other people just exactly what he's capable of. Jack himself is appalled by what he feels he has to do, but he's also convinced he has to do it. That is a real dramatic conflict.

Slate: One of the familiar critiques of using torture as an interrogation technique is that it doesn't work. On 24 it tends to be very effective.

Loceff: I don't know that torture works, and we don't write it because we think it works. So, I don't think any of us are trying to make a statement about the efficacy of it one way or the other.

Slate: Back to the realism question: 24 is shot in real time, which creates a very powerful illusion of reality. In that context, things that seem especially unrealistic run the risk of snapping us out of that.

Loceff: It is a challenge. I'd say that for every idea you see on the screen, there were five ideas we threw away that were more interesting and less real, and there were five ideas that we threw away that were more real and less interesting. What you have to get used to as a writer is realizing that most of what you come up with is wrong for the show.

Slate: It seems as if that weeding-out process goes on not just in the writing room but even after the shows have been shot. On the DVD for Season 4, for instance, there are 39 deleted scenes, some minor, others involving entire subplots.

Loceff: That's right. We go into every episode knowing that we will lose at least one scene and probably more. This is one difference between the way things are done on 24 and the way they're done in most episodic television: Joel and Bob are the kind of writers who are willing to throw out a lot of what's already in the can, which means doing reshoots. To me, this is the single biggest characteristic that allows the show to be somewhat more engaging than average. When Joel and Bob are in the editing room, they look at the show as if they've never seen or heard any of it. They're not invested in any scene, and that makes you free to throw everything out. We sometimes say that you're not done unless you've cut your favorite scene.

Slate: Is it better or worse writing for a real-time show?

Loceff: In Season 1, it actually made some things easier, because it just limited the possibilities. There weren't as many things you had to think about, and no matter how small you make a box, there are still infinitely many stories inside the box. But I think that everyone on the show has thought at one time or another about how nice it would be to work on an ordinary television show. It sometimes feels as if you're writing with both hands tied behind your back, blindfolded. Some of the problems are simple: You can't do a time cut. You want the character of Curtis to be at CTU, but he's at the airport, so we can't have him at CTU right then. And then the way we write the show adds to that, because although we do have a broad sense of the entire season's arc, we write the episodes sequentially. So, you end up in situations where you need a character to be acting as if they're at full capacity, but we just killed his mother or father. It seemed like a good idea at the time to kill their father or mother, but later it's just damned inconvenient to have somebody mourning.

Slate: As the show has gone on, it hasn't been entirely rigorous about hewing to "real-time" rules. Is it fair to say there's some fudging?

Loceff: That's fair. But to be fair to ourselves, in almost every original script, the timing is actually worked out down to the minute. What happens is that as the scripts are rewritten and re-edited in order to make the story more compelling, you sometimes end up with what you could call a time singularity—where there's no way for everything that happens to happen in real time. It's something that you need to wink at. And we have loosened up, maybe just because the stories got harder to write and because we became more desperate. Especially at the end of the season, when you have fewer episodes to make the story happen, and not all that much time to tell it. That's when it turns out the airport is actually two doors down from CTU.

Slate: What about the problem of representing characters or political positions honestly? Do you worry about the show skewing one way politically?

Loceff: I honestly don't think so. Over the course of the four seasons, we've had villains on the right as well as on the left. Politically, our writing staff is very diverse, running the full range from left and right. This is stuff we have arguments about all the time, and I think we've learned to strike the right balance.

Slate: 24 has become a show where we know that there is almost nothing the writers won't do. The flip side of that is that the penchant for unpredictability can become predictable. How do you navigate your way between those two extremes?

Loceff: The beauty behind killing someone who no one thinks you're willing to kill is, of course, that you throw people out of their comfort zone. And that's good because you want people to be on the edge of their seats. But we also recognize that you can't always do the extreme thing, and I think we're careful about not making the unpredictable predictable. So, we've let characters survive when it would have been easy to kill them for the shock value. We've allowed people to succeed when it would have been more shocking for them to fail. But we also remain willing to kill off characters, or to do the shocking thing, when the story demands it. In fact, we sometimes kill characters despite how much we love them. You know, it's hard as a writer to lose characters (and actors) you like. You really don't want them to die because you're not going to get to see them anymore.

Slate: In the first four seasons, Jack Bauer faced political assassinations, portable nuclear bombs, biological warfare, and nuclear missiles. Where could you possibly go from here?

Loceff: Well, at the end of Season 4, we collectively said that we couldn't just keep up coming up with bigger and bigger terrorist threats. The goal instead was to come up with bigger dramatic events that could be spawned by terrorist threats. So, our approach to Season 5 was one of making it more complex and more complicated narratively. We tried to downsize the enormity of the threat without downsizing the impact of the event. The stories are just as, or even more, interesting because of that complexity, even if the terrorist threats have been slightly downsized. As the series progresses, you'll see that over a particular arc of three to four episodes, lots of people could suddenly find themselves at risk. It just may not be the several million that we imperiled last year. Let's face it, from a dramatic point of view, a threat that endangers a bunch of people that we really care about is just as compelling as one that imperils lots and lots of people.

Slate: In the last five years or so, television has experienced something of a renaissance, with HBO shows like The Sopranos and The Wire, and network shows like Lost and 24. Viewers seem increasingly comfortable with complex long-form stories. Do you think 24's been a beneficiary of this trend? Are you surprised by it?

Loceff: I recently saw David Lynch speak, and he said that years ago he could not turn certain ideas he had into reality because when he was pitching those ideas, the networks and the studios were not interested in them because they involved long arcs—stories that spanned more than a single episode. Today, that's absolutely not true. Almost every show that you can think of that's tremendously successful is episodic and has huge arcs, and I think 24 has been part of this revolution that's shown that people really are willing to follow stories that extend over many episodes; that they will watch serialized television; that they are willing to come back every week; and that they have an appetite for complex, demanding shows. I do think technological advances have helped with this: TiVo, obviously, makes it much easier to keep up with a serialized show. So, I think there's a combination of a change in the perception of what audiences will go for and a change in what audiences can do (in terms of missing shows and then being able to catch up) that has allowed us to tell these stories over very long arcs. And I'm not surprised that the appetite for shows like ours is out there. My background is in math and science, and I thrive on complexity, and I think lots of people do. People love puzzles; it's human nature to want to solve puzzles. I personally have more faith than the average writer in people's willingness to be complicated, and so I'm thrilled by what's happened. I'm elated at audiences' willingness to handle complexity. In some sense, I feel like my belief in what people are capable of is being validated.

Related in SlateIn 2004, Matt Feeney argued that 24's realistic depiction of violence shocks viewers into believing its outrageous plot twists. Last month, Michael Kinsley debunked the "ticking bomb" scenario used to justify legalizing torture. And last month, James Surowiecki explained why it's getting harder to make great video games.

James Surowiecki writes the financial column at The New Yorker.

savafan
01-30-2006, 01:10 PM
http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_27263126.shtml

By Josh Hart
Jan 30, 2006

John McCain has been on the big screen with in the hit film, 'The Wedding Crashers' with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. Now he'll team with Kiefer Sutherland on one of America's hottest and non-politically correct shows '24.'

The Arizona Senator will make a brief appearance in a February episode.

'24' has been criticized by some liberals for - get this -its depiction of the torture of terrorists to extract information for Sutherland's character Jack Bauer to save the world. But just like the nudity and 'R' rating didn't stop McCain from entertaining the "wedding Crashers' that apparently won't stop him from the Fox show.

But he will keep his mouth shut.

TV Guide reports:

Senator John McCain's recent visit to the set of Fox's 24 — yep, he's a superfan — resulted in a non-speaking cameo for the politico. In the Feb. 6 episode, executive producer Howard Gordon tells USA Today, watch closely and you'll see McCain make "a little Alfred Hitchcock star turn" when he hands off a file folder to Audrey.

Jack's old flame will then begin sobbing uncontrollably because 1) she really wanted McCain to win the 2000 California primary and 2) that's what she does.

Bauer and McCain? The world has never been safer. '24 airs each Monday night on Fox.

--Josh Hart

Unassisted
01-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Jack's old flame will then begin sobbing uncontrollably because 1) she really wanted McCain to win the 2000 California primary and 2) that's what she does.:laugh: I doubt that I will have a bigger laugh today. Good stuff!

LoganBuck
01-31-2006, 12:08 AM
Walt Cummings almost had a REALLY bad afternoon.

I saw the ending of tonights episode coming way to early. There has to be a big twist coming again. But what is it?

Redsland
01-31-2006, 12:52 AM
Yeah, the empty crates were telegraphed way back in season three or so. But overall, a great, great episode. Wifey looks like she knows she's got POTUS by the short ones. Novik never got released, did he? Good to see Jack and Aaron collaborating again. And the Hobbit continues to show himself as a capable manager, in what qualifies as a sweeping departure from usual Division practice. The pres, who used to be merely sniveling, is now openly manipulable. That could come back to hurt him.

Sure, Jack didn't kill anyone, but he did nearly harvest an eye, and that's got to count for something.

:beerme:

Roy Tucker
01-31-2006, 09:33 AM
I didn't see the twist of Walt outright confessing all to the President coming. When that all happened, I said "well... hmmmmm...".

Jack certainly cuts to the chase, doesn't he? Within 30 seconds of confronting Walt, he's ready to carve his eyeball out. My wife and daughter were freaking.

FLOTUS didn't look very forgiving of POTUS. With good reason. That was one creepy attempted kiss. Does anyone else think Logan resembles Richard Nixon? Logan is a weak man.

Secret Service Agent Aaron Pierce is True American. I like all these people outright defying presidential orders.

I will tolerate the Jack-Audrey-Dianne triangle for about one more episode. Then they have to dump it all and get on with blowing stuff up and popping out eyeballs.

RFS62
01-31-2006, 09:42 AM
I didn't see the twist of Walt outright confessing all to the President coming. When that all happened, I said "well... hmmmmm...".

Same here. Almost thought they had jumped the shark. Still not comfortable with how easy it is to infiltrate the highest levels of the government.

Jack certainly cuts to the chase, doesn't he? Within 30 seconds of confronting Walt, he's ready to carve his eyeball out. My wife and daughter were freaking.

Yeah, I would have preferred a more prolonged ass-whipping and torture session myself. Work your way up to the eyeball thing. Dude had it coming.

FLOTUS didn't look very forgiving of POTUS. With good reason. That was one creepy attempted kiss. Does anyone else think Logan resembles Richard Nixon? Logan is a weak man.

This guy couldn't run a Wal-Mart, much less the country. Interesting that President Palmer, the strong president, was a democrat and President Logan, the sniveling weenie, is a republican. Must be a coincidence.

Secret Service Agent Aaron Pierce is True American. I like all these people outright defying presidential orders.

I will tolerate the Jack-Audrey-Dianne triangle for about one more episode. Then they have to dump it all and get on with blowing stuff up and popping out eyeballs.

Yeah, Pierce is the man. And Audrey picked a good time to call Jack and try to get into their relationship. Doesn't she know he's got stuff to blow up and Presidential aids to torture.... geesh.

savafan
01-31-2006, 09:54 AM
Does anyone else think Logan resembles Richard Nixon? Logan is a weak man.

He's very Nixonian. He has the look, the attitude, the I'll cover up treason to save my own hide mentality.

Yeah, Pierce is the man. And Audrey picked a good time to call Jack and try to get into their relationship. Doesn't she know he's got stuff to blow up and Presidential aids to torture.... geesh.

I agree. Jack doesn't have time for love right now. Where is Heller when you need him? I hope Crumbs gets cancelled so he can get in there and show his daughter how to behave in a national crisis.

TeamBoone
02-03-2006, 04:33 PM
I don't watch it. But if I tivioed it and I opened this post I'd be pissed. :laugh:

I taped the first 6 hours before watching it which is why I am just now reading this thread (you don't really need to put spoiler in the title if you know the new season is #5).

I like to watch several episodes in a row. I'll tape a bunch again before I watch them.

I totally agree about how it really jump started this year. I know they're only TV characters, but I almost cried when Palmer and Michelle died.

Which character is Sean Asten/Astin (spelling?)? I knew he was going to be in it and still didn't pick up on him.

TeamBoone
02-03-2006, 04:36 PM

Chase is on a different show... In Justice, I think.

savafan
02-03-2006, 04:37 PM
I totally agree about how it really jump started this year. I know they're only TV characters, but I almost cried when Palmer and Michelle died.

So did my mom TB

Which character is Sean Asten/Astin (spelling?)? I knew he was going to be in it and still didn't pick up on him.

He is playing Lynn (sp?) McGill from district.

LoganBuck
02-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Walt Cummings had a really bad afternoon. Was he given a speedy trial for treason, and then had his demise inflicted upon him?

I think I am going to change my sig to "Shut up Edgar"

What was Goonie boy doing messing around in the parking lot. Also how did his sister know where he worked considering he was transferred in there during the second hour of the show?

savafan
02-07-2006, 09:30 AM
What was Goonie boy doing messing around in the parking lot. Also how did his sister know where he worked considering he was transferred in there during the second hour of the show?

This is one of those questions you just can't ask yourself when watching this show. ;)

I wonder how long it is until Jack has had enough of President Logan.

rdiersin
02-07-2006, 10:08 AM
I think I am going to change my sig to "Shut up Edgar"

Yea, the way she said it made me wonder if she is Napoleon Dynamite's long lost sister.

savafan
02-07-2006, 10:13 AM
I thought last night's episode was a bit weak. There wasn't one of those moments that made you want to jump out of your chair and grap your head in disbelief.

If Walt Cummings hung himself, I have to question why they allowed a confessed traitor who had worked with terrorists to have some alone time. Wouldn't you think he would have been watched at all times? Now, if Mike allowed for Walt to be hanged so that the story wouldn't get out (and the press release that POTUS and FLOTUS were working on could be shelved) then it makes a bit more sense.

savafan
02-07-2006, 11:13 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/cardmaster16/Cummings.jpg

savafan
02-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Don't understand why they had to bring Samwise Gamgee's sister into the story. Does everyone who works for CTU have a crazy family member?

RFS62
02-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Don't understand why they had to bring Samwise Gamgee's sister into the story. Does everyone who works for CTU have a crazy family member?

Yep, that was beyond ridiculous

rdiersin
02-08-2006, 10:30 AM

My only thought was that the guy took something important out of Samwise's wallet that will later be of use to someone trying to kill Jack Bauer. Just a guess.

Have no clue what, though.

Roy Tucker
02-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah, this season, the writers have been consistently ahead of me (not that that is hard to do) so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and a week to develop McGill whacked-out sister plot thread into something interesting. Sometimes these things turn out to be something interesting, sometimes they are dead-ends.

However, I'm not really looking forward to the continuation of the human interest stories of the Audrey love thing and Jack's reunion with Kim. Give me blowing up stuff and torture any time :)

And I can't tell if Logan is just leading FLOTUS on or he is genuine in his affections.

Seems that this week's preview of next week gave an awful lot away of what's to come.

MWM
02-08-2006, 05:13 PM
I like the season so far, but my only complaint is that it's pretty much the same story as the past 4 years, just replace nuke or virus with nerve gas. It's a good story, but I'd like at least a little variation other than a dangerous weapon going to explode in LA.

savafan
02-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Sec. of Defense Heller is returning soon, and we'll also get to see the Vice-President.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=13164

Source: FOX
February 13, 2006

Elisha Cuthbert and William Devane return, joined by newcomers C. Thomas Howell (The Outsiders) and Ray Wise (Good Night, And Good Luck) as "Day Five" intensifies on 24. The nonstop fifth season continues Mondays (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) and will clock in with a special two-hour event Monday, March 6 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

In a day where he was implicated in the President's assassination, held hostage at the airport, and is following leads to terrorists armed with 20 canisters of military-grade nerve gas, Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) has had little time to put the pieces of his personal life back together. Recently reunited with former lover Audrey Raines (Kim Raver), Bauer enlists her help to reestablish communication with his daughter, Kim (Cuthbert). When Kim reenters Jack's life, she does so with her trusted friend Barry Landes (Howell), a therapist who attempts to simmer down a boiling situation. Meanwhile, leadership issues continue to tangle the Administration, and Vice President Hal Gardner (Wise) and Secretary of Defense James Heller (Devane) join the cause against the terrifying situation.

The nonstop season accelerates with a special two-hour event, "Day 5: 5:00 PM-6:00 PM"/"Day 5: 6:00 PM-7:00 PM," airing Monday, March 6 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). Agent Bauer deals with Christopher Henderson (Peter Weller), the defected federal agent who recruited Jack to counterterrorist work more than a decade ago, along with his wife Miriam (JoBeth Williams). The back-to-back episodes also feature President Logan (Gregory Itzin) muddling through more intense and iffy decisions while CTU commanders Lynn McGill (Sean Astin) and Bill Buchanan (James Morrison) redefine roles.

24, created by Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran, is a production of Real Time Productions and Imagine Television in association with 20th Century Fox Television. Joel Surnow, Robert Cochran, Howard Gordon, Evan Katz and Brian Grazer are the executive producers. Kiefer Sutherland is a co-executive producer.

TheGARB
02-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Good episode last night. Lots of shooting and Jack yelling "get down". Plus, no one is listening to the leadership at CTU. It's a can't miss formula for 24. However, this is bugging me about last night's episode...

Did anyone else notice that all of the news organizations on TVs in the background were covering the treaty signing like it was the big news of the day? In fact, I think one announcer even said something along the lines of "this date will go down as a historic day for the signing of this treaty between the US and Russia." Really? Not because of the assassination of a former president or a hostage situation at an airport where hostages were killed on TV? The treaty is why this day will be historic? Even in a fictional tv show, Fox News is spinning the story for the White House. :)

savafan
02-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Did anyone else notice that all of the news organizations on TVs in the background were covering the treaty signing like it was the big news of the day? In fact, I think one announcer even said something along the lines of "this date will go down as a historic day for the signing of this treaty between the US and Russia." Really? Not because of the assassination of a former president or a hostage situation at an airport where hostages were killed on TV? The treaty is why this day will be historic? Even in a fictional tv show, Fox News is spinning the story for the White House. :)

:laugh: Good points.

I still think President Logan is a tool.

Roy Tucker
02-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Martha Logan for president.

TheGARB
02-21-2006, 03:12 PM
:laugh: Good points.

I still think President Logan is a tool.

Logan is an absolute tool. The cabinet should have been invoking the 25th admendment from day one of his presidency.

And what's with Rudy the Hobbit's complete breakdown? Maybe he was smoking a little too much of the wacky weed during his day's of playing football for Notre Dame while he lived in the Shire. Dude is totally paranoid.

Of course, he's also right, but wow.

LoganBuck
02-21-2006, 04:15 PM
I don't like Logan, but I really don't like FLOTUS. What a pain in the butt.

Goonie boy looks like he is having a bad afternoon.

When (insert the black guy's name who heads the strike teams, he has been on the show for five years but I still can't think of his name) asked Jack for his gun, I was hoping Jack was going to say "Lesser men than you have tried"

Chloe always looks so pained when she has to sneak around.

HotCorner
02-21-2006, 05:03 PM
When (insert the black guy's name who heads the strike teams, he has been on the show for five years but I still can't think of his name) asked Jack for his gun, I was hoping Jack was going to say "Lesser men than you have tried"

Curtis or Kurtis. Not quite sure of the spelling. ;)

Roy Tucker
02-21-2006, 05:29 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/arts/television/19rhod.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

February 19, 2006 Television
The First Lady Is Seriously Off Her Rocker
By JOE RHODES

FIVE seasons into the terrorist-chasing, plot-twisting, clock-and-dagger shoot-em-up soap opera that is the Fox network's "24," viewers have come to expect certain things. They know, for instance, that there will be good guys who turn out to be bad guys and bad guys who turn out to be good.

They know there will be kidnappings, explosions, bureaucratic ineptitude, downloaded schematics, back-channel double-crosses and complicated triggering mechanisms vital to the deployment of devices that are set to go off within the next few hours, jeopardizing the lives of thousands, if not millions of civilians in the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area. (Previous threats have included biological weapons and nuclear missiles. This year, so far anyway, it's nerve gas. )

And they know that the Counter Terrorism Unit special agent/tormented soul Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) will be forced to do something unpleasant in the name of national security including (but not limited to) torturing suspected bad guys, punching or shooting innocent bystanders who get in the way (he always feels bad about this) and clenching his jaw as he realizes he should probably tell his only daughter that he's not really dead. Also, he or one of his terrorism unit associates will have to get from one side of Los Angeles to another in an impossibly short period of time.

About the only thing viewers might not have been able to anticipate was that this season's break-out character would be a high-strung, sharp-tongued and off-her-meds first lady of the United States, a woman who screams, "I will have your family eating dog food out of a can" at Secret Service agents trying to keep her away from a presidential news conference. Jean Smart's first on-screen appearance as Martha Logan, perhaps the most memorable character debut in "24" history, consists of her looking into a mirror, assessing her make-up and proclaiming, "I look like a wedding cake" just before dunking her face in the bathroom sink.

"I read that scene and thought I have to play this woman," said Ms. Smart. In nearly 30 years she has been offered many parts, but few included such delicious possibilities: a chance to be intelligent and sexy, powerful and mysterious, vengeful and slightly psychotic, a loose cannon in sling-back pumps, married to a weak-kneed opportunist (Gregory Itzin as President Charles Logan) she no longer trusts or respects.

"I just loved the fact that she was so impulsive," Ms. Smart said, sipping Diet Coke at a Ventura Boulevard restaurant not far from the Encino home she shares with her real-life husband, the actor Richard Gilliand, and their 17-year-old son, Connor.

"I don't think she ever counted on being first lady," Ms. Smart said, "and I think she's not well suited for the job. Intellectually she is. But I think she's way too emotional to make the kind of compromises you're forced to make, to appear unrelentingly supportive all the time , even when you're not. She can't stand that."

Howard Gordon, one of three executive producers of "24," freely admits that the original model for Ms. Smart's character was Martha Mitchell, the volatile wife of Richard M. Nixon's attorney general, John N. Mitchell, known for her late-night calls to reporters outlining outrageous theories about conspiracy in the Nixon White House, a number of which turned out to be true. The Nixon administration response — just as in the fictional Logan administration — was to label Martha Mitchell as "unstable."

"We think of her as the first lady who cried wolf," Mr. Gordon said of the fictional Martha Logan, "a woman who is armed with the truth" — that a high-ranking administration official is involved with a terrorist plot — "but who is discredited by her own mental health history, the fact that she's had breakdowns and delusions in the past."

"It's a fun part to write," he continued, "but it's kind of a high wire act, to make sure she's not so hysterical that you can't see she's still an incredibly powerful and capable woman. To make it work, we had to have an actress you could believe had the strength and intelligence to be a first lady, but the unpredictability of never knowing when she might snap. Jean's name was the first we brought up."

In the 15 years since she left the hit comedy series "Designing Women," Ms. Smart, now in her early 50's, has carved out a steady but esoteric career, drawing rave reviews for roles in independent films like "Garden State" and "Guinevere," scene-stealing parts in mainstream movies like "The Kid" and "Bringing Down the House," her Emmy-Award winning guest appearances on "Frasier" and frequent returns to the theater (she started out with the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in 1978 and received an Obie nomination for her first Off-Broadway role, 1980's "Last Summer at Bluefish Cove), including a 2000 Broadway revival of "The Man Who Came to Dinner" with Nathan Lane.

Although she has tried, unsuccessfully, to get three comedy series off the ground since "Designing Women" ( 1995's "High Society," 1998's "Style and Substance" and last year's "Center of the Universe" with John Goodman) Ms. Smart said that being a television star is never what she had in mind.

"I grew up with a feeling that money was not that important, almost a reverse snob thing," she said, asked why she walked away from "Designing Women" at the peak of its rating success. "And I could feel myself getting used to the money. I felt like I was getting lazy. We worked maybe 30 hours a week, three weeks a month, I mean, good Lord. ..."

Her choices, she acknowledged, may have led to smaller paychecks and less star wattage, but they also gave her the freedom to pick her spots and feel good about the parts she took.

"I always wanted to be taken seriously," she said. "I always wanted to feel good about what I was doing and have my peers think that I was talented. I think I've had a really good reputation and that's very important to me."

"What I admire about Jeannie is that she's not afraid to get her hands dirty," said Mr. Itzin, a co-star with Ms. Smart in a play, "Mrs. California," at the Mark Taper Forum in Los Angeles 20 years ago. "There are a lot of actors who won't take roles because they think it might be unflattering. But Jeannie's not afraid to let herself look bad."

Because of the way "24" is structured — plot lines and character twists are often being revamped even as episodes are being filmed — Ms. Smart said she had no idea whether First Lady Logan will turn out to be a heroine or a lunatic, whether she'll forgive her husband for trying to have her committed or whether she'll end up by his side, saving his presidency and possibly the free world. Producers, however, have strongly hinted that her character will still be around when the season ends.

"I think, whatever happens, her fate is tied to the President's," Ms. Smart said. "If something happens to him, then I'm done."

But what, she was asked, if the first lady were somehow responsible for the President's demise.

"Oh, that would keep me around for several extra episodes, wouldn't it?," she said. "I've thought about that, President Logan floating face down in the pool, like William Holden in 'Sunset Boulevard.' That would — be fabulous."

savafan
02-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Wow, last night's episode was one of, if not the best of the year, and the surprising thing is that Jack was hardly even in it. The CTU coup lead by Curtis was intense! And now next week, we get two hours with Almeida and Hottie Bauer coming back into the story. I love this show!

Roy Tucker
02-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Peter Weller makes a real good bad guy.

He even got the drop on Jack. Twice.

savafan
02-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Peter Weller makes a real good bad guy.

He even got the drop on Jack. Twice.

Yeah, the supporting cast this year has been phenomenal. Weller, Julian Sands, Sean Astin, Geraint Wynn Davies...great performances all around. Or, as I say when I talk to my friends about the show, Robocop, Warlock, Samwise Gamgee and Nick Knight. :evil:

Roy Tucker
02-28-2006, 01:55 PM
And with President Logan asking Mike Novick to get down on his knees to pray with him, the Logan/Nixon parallels continue.

savafan
02-28-2006, 02:05 PM
And with President Logan asking Mike Novick to get down on his knees to pray with him, the Logan/Nixon parallels continue.

Yeah, I don't even think they're trying to hide that anymore. :)

RFS62
02-28-2006, 02:23 PM

No kidding. They sure do love to show the Republican as a sniveling weasel on this show. Democrat Palmer was FDR in comparison.

savafan
02-28-2006, 02:29 PM
No kidding. They sure do love to show the Republican as a sniveling weasel on this show. Democrat Palmer was FDR in comparison.

Yeah, but they do it subtlely...not really pushing politics on the viewers.

LoganBuck
02-28-2006, 02:59 PM
You have got to think that payback will be hell for Henderson.

My guess for next week based on the previews is that Goonie Boy's keycard resurfaces.

Roy Tucker
02-28-2006, 03:23 PM
You have got to think that payback will be hell for Henderson.

Nothing compared to the paybacks that Martha is going wreak upon the poor weasel Charles. When she dumps him, the shock wave will register on the Richter scale.

As the show went on last night, my wife's eyes got squintier and squintier as Logan continued to sell Martha down the river.

Matt700wlw
02-28-2006, 03:38 PM
I love this show!

Steve4192
02-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Yeah, but they do it subtlely.
Are you kidding? It's about as subtle as getting kicked in the Jimmies.

LoganBuck
02-28-2006, 03:43 PM
I still hate Martha. Charles is stuck in horrible situations and she can't stay in line. Maybe next she will get attacked by a moutain lion, or stuck in a bunker with a crazy guy who wants to repopulate the human race after the syntox goes off.

tts1stros
03-01-2006, 03:27 PM
I had Conan on in the background last night, and I looked up and saw the woman who played Chloe was his guest.

WOW - the actress is exactly like her character. She came off as uncomfortable, nervous, inept, and a little annoying.

She did have a great story though: She said the show has brought her a lot of fame and instant recognition, but not always at good times....

The first time she went scuba diving, she started getting very nervous. One of the other students saw her and said "Oh my God! You're Chloe! From 24!" She said, yes, she was, and kept looking nervous. That student must have told the instructor, because the instructor came over to her and said, "Listen, there's absolutely nothing to be scared of.....just pretend Jack Bauer is underwater and needs you to task a satellite........"

She wanted to smack him. :D

johngalt
03-01-2006, 11:54 PM
I like the season so far, but my only complaint is that it's pretty much the same story as the past 4 years, just replace nuke or virus with nerve gas. It's a good story, but I'd like at least a little variation other than a dangerous weapon going to explode in LA.

Sorry, I know this post is a bit old, but I agree on this one. I love the show and can't miss a second, but they definitely need to mix some things up beyond just terrorist threatening people in the U.S.

I really wish they had gone with Jack getting arrested by the Chinese last season at the end, and then this season could have been about him trying to escape from the prison with the help of Tony, Michelle, CTU, etc.

MWM
03-02-2006, 02:08 AM
I thought last night's episode was pretty good. It's a good thing too because I've been losing interest. In the past I couldn't wait until the show came on and if I wasn't around, I'd turn it on the second I got home. The last two weeks I've been away on Monday and couldn't get to it until Tuesday. I got home from being out of town Tuesday night and didn't even remember until this afternoon that it was even recorded. It just happened that way. Hopefully it picks up the pace soon.

Puffy
03-06-2006, 11:41 PM
wow.

Just wow.

RFS62
03-06-2006, 11:46 PM
wow.

Just wow.

No kidding.

They killed Edgar.

Jack shot the wife of a bad guy.

Leland Palmer is Vice President.

savafan
03-07-2006, 02:04 AM
The best two hours of this day.

R.I.P. Edgar :(

BuckeyeRed27
03-07-2006, 02:10 AM
Holy crap.

I just watched that and sat there with my mouth open for about half of it. This show is completely amazing.

creek14
03-07-2006, 07:41 AM
just terrorist threatening people in the U.S.

From where I'm sitting, it's just art imitating life.

RANDY IN INDY
03-07-2006, 07:56 AM
:thumbup:

Roy Tucker
03-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Damn. Remind me that if Jack Bauer ever wants anything from me, I give it to him. And not to have my wife anywhere close.

Between Logan and Henderson, husbands aren't coming off too well on this show.

Holy crap indeed. My almost-13 yr. old who watches the show with me actually got pretty upset at the Henderson's wife thing and then Edgar.

HotCorner
03-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Holy crap.

I just watched that and sat there with my mouth open for about half of it. This show is completely amazing.

That about sums it up.

rdiersin
03-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Great 2 hours. Man, that was something. So now 40% of CTU is dead, or at least that's what I thought I heard at the end. This will be interesting.

Puffy
03-07-2006, 10:57 AM
wow. Except for Jack Bauer anyone could die on that show at any minute.

Just wow.

Steve4192
03-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Loved the episode ... but I've got to admit I saw Henderson's wife getting shot coming from a mile away. Jack was being WAY too nice to her (asking for Henderson's password and accepting 'no' for an answer) and when Henderson showed no fear of getting kneecapped and professed his love for his wife, I knew she was in for a world of hurt.

Also, what the heck happened to C. Thomas Howell? Ponyboy looks like someone left him in the dryer too long. Either that or he hasn't partaken in any of that stuff we humans call 'food' since filming wrapped on 'Red Dawn' back in 1984. He looks like death.

jmbraun773
03-07-2006, 12:01 PM
That Carrie sure had an eventful day....Got fired...reinstated...then killed all in a couple of hours.

That sucks about Edgar...bad way to go.

I love this show!!!

LoganBuck
03-07-2006, 01:36 PM
My DVR didn't record the first hour. It is set to record 24 every Monday from 9-10, but because it appeared as a two hour show on the guide it would let me record the first hour. I didn't have time to argue with it yesterday morning and thought that I may have had it set up. Darn it!

I always liked Edgar. I will miss him.

Next time Redzone goes into Meltdown we should issue a CODE 6 in Edgar's honor.

savafan
03-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Looking at the guest star listings for this season on imdb.com, I see that Mandy, the hot lesbian assassin is returning next week (the episode date is wrong on imdb, 24 is new next week and is non-stop this season).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0502267/

And in two weeks, Ed Norton joins the cast as John Bauer!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0502269/

Roy Tucker
03-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Looking at the guest star listings for this season on imdb.com, I see that Mandy, the hot lesbian assassin is returning next week (the episode date is wrong on imdb, 24 is new next week and is non-stop this season).

And in two weeks, Ed Norton joins the cast as John Bauer!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0502269/

sava, this year on 24, I'm going spoiler-less (there are a bunch of web sites that get leaked and publish forthcominig episode summaries).

Please give me a warning before you do this. I like to be surprised.

savafan
03-07-2006, 01:57 PM
sava, this year on 24, I'm going spoiler-less (there are a bunch of web sites that get leaked and publish forthcominig episode summaries).

Please give me a warning before you do this. I like to be surprised.

Sorry, I wouldn't put too much stock in it though. Looking further on imdb, it shows that in episode 19 Terri Bauer, Nina Myers, David Palmer, Michelle Dessler, and Sherry Palmer all return. Unless the terrorists are creating zombies, I'm not putting too much faith in what imdb tells me. They also said that Kim was supposed to have been back on the show four episodes back, and I believed them then...:help:

LoganBuck
03-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Roy, I wouldn't get too upset. The way I understand how they make 24, is that it is constantly being changed. They may not have finished shooting this season yet! The spoilers that get out can be very wrong.

savafan
03-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Roy, I wouldn't get too upset. The way I understand how they make 24, is that it is constantly being changed. They may not have finished shooting this season yet! The spoilers that get out can be very wrong.

As was the case when USA Today ran an article two weeks ago saying that Kim would be back then. I believed that one too. :help:

As for whatever happened to President Keeler, it is officially unconfirmed.

http://24.wikicities.com/wiki/John_Keeler

Welcome to Wiki 24, the site with all of the 24 answers.

Matt700wlw
03-07-2006, 03:23 PM
I sat absolutely stunned, with my mouth open, staring at the TV for a couple of minutes at the end of the two hours.

Phenomenal television!!

This season may top themselves

savafan
03-07-2006, 03:27 PM
I sat absolutely stunned, with my mouth open, staring at the TV for a couple of minutes at the end of the two hours.

My mom and I both did the same thing.

LoganBuck
03-07-2006, 03:33 PM
I actually couldn't move.

My first thought was get him some atrophine. Do you guys think Edgar has any chance for a resurrection next week? My guess is no, but this is 24 we are talking about.

Matt700wlw
03-07-2006, 03:34 PM
I wanted to give Kim a hug when she started crying after seeing Jack for the first time.

:D

MWM
03-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Ed Norton? Wow! They're really pulling out all the stops with the cast this season. I LOVE Ed Norton. He's one of the best actors out there right now.

VI_RedsFan
03-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Ed Norton? Wow! They're really pulling out all the stops with the cast this season. I LOVE Ed Norton. He's one of the best actors out there right now.

He's guest starring next week? That would be great.

savafan
03-08-2006, 01:52 PM
He's guest starring next week? That would be great.

I believe it is in 2 weeks.

VI_RedsFan
03-08-2006, 07:35 PM
I believe it is in 2 weeks.

Coool. I've always liked Norton. He will fit in nicely.

RedsManRick
03-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Coool. I've always liked Norton. He will fit in nicely.

Especially with Rudy now completely ostracized as the root cause of the CTU infiltration.

MrCinatit
03-14-2006, 09:16 AM
all i can say is...egads! wowzer!

a couple of rules:
if you are near Jack Bauer, run. Staying in one place will get you killed.
if you run from Jack Bauer, you will likely die.
don't make Jack Bauer mad at you. He will kill you.
don't make Jack Bauer like you. Somebody else will kill you.
if Jack Bauer could care less about you, you are most likely either already dead, or will be shortly. there is a good chance Jack Bauer will be involved.
If you see Jack Bauer with a gun, hope he only shoots you in the kneecap.
If you see Jack Bauer with a pencil in his hand, hope he stabs you in the head, because you don't want him coming after your kneecap with that thing.
Jack Bauer eats Chuck Norris for breakfast.

when i saw they were continuing the series, i did have my questions, i wondered how long they could drag this series out. looks like it is a good thing they have, and i do have to agree, this is probably the best season so far.
wow.

Roy Tucker
03-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Whoa.

I was OK with McGill. "I'm glad to be with you, Lynn McGill, here at the end of all things".

But my man Tony?

RFS62
03-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Whoa.

I was OK with McGill. "I'm glad to be with you, Lynn McGill, here at the end of all things".

But my man Tony?

Yeah, Samwise McGill had some making up to do. And he stepped up when it was time, like a good hobbit.

Roy Tucker
03-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Yeah, Samwise McGill had some making up to do. And he stepped up when it was time, like a good hobbit.

After unselfishly saving CTU and returning to die with the CTU red shirt dude, I started chanting "Ru-dy, Ru-dy, Ru-dy". My wife and daughter looked at me like I was nuts.

Henderson is starting to move up the bad guy scale. Nina is at the top.

Tony didn't get the silent 24 clock at the end like Edgar did. Which makes me wonder.

creek14
03-14-2006, 01:28 PM
ROY!! I thought you didn't want any spoilers!! Now you're spoiling. :nono: ;)

Roy Tucker
03-14-2006, 01:44 PM
ROY!! I thought you didn't want any spoilers!! Now you're spoiling. :nono: ;)

Now now creek, I am purely speculating. I have no idea where the series is going nor any insider info. I have stayed far far away from any spoiler sites (and it's a lot more fun this way). I'm just guessing. And actually, my gut says he is really dead.

But, you never know, Jack has come back from the dead a couple times now.

Last night, my youngest asked if I thought Edgar was going to come back alive again (she really likes/liked Edgar). Shortly into the episode, they showed Edgar face-planted on the floor with nerve gas drool-foam coming out of his mouth. She looked at me and said "nah, I don't think so".

LoganBuck
03-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Wow, imo maybe the best episode this year. (Somebody says that every week!) My thought was why didn't the security guard make a run for it? I know that if I was in a similar situation I would be headed for an exterior door.

Did anyone catch that Chloe had been in contact with Jack while he was doing his KungFu thing? Maybe that is how this thing is going to come full circle. The bad guys knew that Jack was alive. Perhaps now we will see how. I suspect we haven't seen the last of Kim either, I suspect she will get stuck in the Lebrea Tar Pits.

Last night the traffic finally caught up the story line, as Curtis was stuck in traffic. That was at least a little more realistic. If the Syntox had a corrosive agent in with it, why are the computers still functioning properly at CTU?

savafan
03-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Tony didn't get the silent 24 clock at the end like Edgar did. Which makes me wonder.

Makes me wonder as well. Since they're in the med unit, there may be something in there that can save him...not that he wants to be saved.

http://24.wikicities.com/wiki/Silent_clock

The silent clock is a rare use of the clock, usually at the end of an episode, without the sounds of the clock. It is used after a very emotional scene such as the death of a main character or an important event.

The effect of the silent clock could be accentuated by the split screen that is put in place immediately prior, depending on the circumstances surrounding the character's death. Upon the death of Teri Bauer, the screen was split between the scene of Jack cradling Teri's body alongside black and white clips from Day 1 12:00am-1:00am. Immediately preceding Ryan Chappelle's death, there was no split screen, possibly to create the expectation that the episode was not quite over and he would somehow escape, until the appearance of the silent clock, confirming that he had indeed died.

The silent clock has been used 4 times, and only once per season in Seasons 1, 2, 3, and 5. It was not used at all in Season 4.

Uses Of The Silent Clock

* After the death of Teri Bauer. Day 1 11:00pm-12:00am

* George Mason's departure from CTU on Day 2 (during and not at the end of the episode). Day 2 9:00pm-10:00pm

* After the execution of Ryan Chapelle. Day 3 6:00am-7:00am

* Upon the release of nerve gas into CTU and the death of several CTU employees, including Edgar Stiles. Day 5 6:00pm-7:00pm

Alternative to the Silent Clock

At the end of the season finale of Season 2, President Palmer suffered an assassination attempt, and was last seen lying on the ground gasping for breath. The final clock leading up to 8:00am was not silent in the same way as the other three instances. Instead, the clock featured the sound of Palmer's gasps for breath. This alternative could have been chosen to give a sense of finality to the season while still acknowledging the last minute plot twist. Unlike the above instances, however, Palmer survived the incident. Because of the unique nature of this instance, it is often grouped together with the other Silent Clock events.

Fan Controversy

As can be expected, the use of the silent clock in such rare instances has led to sometimes heated debate over instances when the silent clock should have been used when it was not. Since all four instances involve the death of a major character, the majority of these debates revolve around depictions of a certain character's death which were followed by the full sounded clock.

savafan
03-14-2006, 02:31 PM

Well, that was proven to be wrong.

creek14
03-14-2006, 02:33 PM
My thought was why didn't the security guard make a run for it? I know that if I was in a similar situation I would be headed for an exterior door.
I assumed there were barriers over the exterior doors.

Steve4192
03-14-2006, 02:41 PM
If the Syntox had a corrosive agent in with it, why are the computers still functioning properly at CTU?
Silicon-based items (like the internal workings of a computer) don't corrode as easily as petroleum-based ones (like a rubber seal).

Roy Tucker
03-14-2006, 02:43 PM
I suspect we haven't seen the last of Kim either, I suspect she will get stuck in the Lebrea Tar Pits.

I agree. My guess is based on Henderson is on the loose inside of CTU, Henderson and Kim have a history, Henderson is probably still a little cranky at Jack (destroying his life, shooting his wife, etc etc), and Jack told moron boyfriend Barry to get Kim the heck out of Dodge.

wolfboy
03-14-2006, 02:50 PM
My VCR didn't record right last night. The picture looked terrible when I went to play it back. Got the recap off of the 24 site, but it still irked me :bang:

LoganBuck
03-14-2006, 02:59 PM
You watch, next time they use the silent clock, a major plot twist will follow.

savafan
03-15-2006, 02:15 PM
The Ed Norton rumor turns out to be false as well.

http://www.edward-norton.org/news.html

Matt700wlw
03-15-2006, 04:10 PM
EVERYBODY IS DYING!!!!

I wonder if Tony is really dead :confused: :)

savafan
03-16-2006, 12:49 PM
EVERYBODY IS DYING!!!!

I wonder if Tony is really dead :confused: :)

Sadly, he is.

http://www.fox.com/24/episodes/

7:59 P.M.
Jack enters the clinic and finds Tony and Burke on the ground. Gasping his last breath of life, Tony tells Jack that he couldn’t do it. Jack clutches Tony’s head. Tony dies, and Jack cries with him still in his arms.

savafan
03-16-2006, 12:52 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/14/arts/television/14kill.html?_r=2&8dpc=&pagewanted=print&oref=login

As the Plot Thickens, No One Is Safe
By KATE AURTHUR

In the landscape of television dramas, "24" and "The L Word" have little in common. Fox's real-time action series trades in white-knuckle attempts to foil dastardly terrorist plots; Showtime's lesbian melodrama doles out emotional upheaval and the sexual politics of the beautiful. But this week, the two series have employed an increasingly widespread plot device: in the past 48 hours, both "The L Word" and "24" killed off popular lead characters.

The departed, Dana (Erin Daniels) from "The L Word" and Tony (Carlos Bernard) from "24," will be buried in an expanding prime-time cemetery. So far this season, main characters have died on "Lost," "Smallville," "Las Vegas," "One Tree Hill," "Desperate Housewives," "Battlestar Galactica" and previous episodes of "24." The killing isn't over, either: the casts of "The Shield," "Everwood," "ER" and, again, "Lost" and "24," will be culled by the end of May. And the always-violent "Sopranos," which returned on Sunday, promises to be a bloodbath: its season premiere featured one death by natural causes, and one shocking suicide by hanging.

As viewers have more choices of what to watch, and as quality shows compete across the broadcast and cable networks for loyal audience members who will return week after week, the stakes of dramatic series have risen. Some shows — "24," "Lost" and "The Sopranos" — illustrate dangerous worlds where death is always close. Viewers not only expect casualties on those series, they sometimes summon them. Recently, vocal "Lost" fans — fresh from the loss of Shannon (Maggie Grace) in November — began calling for the death of Ana Lucia (Michelle Rodriguez). The Internet din grew so loud that Damon Lindelof, the show's executive producer, publicly denounced the rumors on TVGuide.com last month.

On "The L Word," however, where the plots arise from interpersonal relationships, the death of a fan-favorite is still a shock. "I was surprised," Ms. Daniels recalled about hearing her character's fate. "But from the business standpoint, I get it. Killing off a main character is always good for drama."

The demise of Ms. Daniels's Dana was a slow and painful one from breast cancer. Her wasting illness played out from the season's first episode, when Dana's girlfriend found a lump in her breast, through Sunday's show, in which she died of an infection. On "24," in contrast, death came quickly to Tony Almeida, one of the five-year-old series's only remaining characters from its first season: he was stabbed in the heart with a very large needle.

When Ilene Chaiken, the creator of "The L Word," met with Showtime executives more than a year ago to begin planning the third season, they said, "Deal with the things that happen to people in life," she said. "Including death."

She and the other writers agreed, and decided to develop a breast cancer plot. Why did the bell toll for Dana, the endearingly goofy professional tennis player? "If we had told it about a character who was less well loved, it wouldn't have been as powerful," Ms. Chaiken said. The fact that Dana was a successful athlete added another layer to the story line. Ms. Chaiken said: "Dana is somebody whose entire life was about health and fitness. And it comes as a really rude shock to her that her body isn't always going to do exactly what she wants it to do."

Last March, Ms. Chaiken scheduled a meeting with Ms. Daniels to ensure she found out about Dana's death directly from her. "I was very nervous," Ms. Chaiken said. "But she embraced it readily. At the lunch, she already began talking about what an opportunity it was."

Ms. Daniels said: "I was about 50 percent listening, and the other 50 percent of me was going, 'Did you really just say what I think you said?' " And then I think I said, 'Goodbye, I'll talk to you soon,' and got in my car and cried for about three days."

By the time "The L Word" began shooting during the summer, Ms. Daniels had reconciled her feelings. Her goal was, she said, "give this story line as much juice and truth as I can — and move on."

Some of the other cast members were less sanguine. "Her fellow actors, who love her, did lobby me at one point," Ms. Chaiken said. "I said: 'This is not punitive. This isn't meant to reflect on Erin or on any of you. It's a story I believe in, and it's a story we're going to tell.' "

Ms. Daniels said that the hardest part of the experience — next to acting out the death of a character to which she was attached — was hearing gossip that she had been fired. "People in the business were hearing rumors that I didn't like playing a lesbian or that I had asked for more money," she said. "To not be able to speak my side of this for an entire year has been torture."

"24" has such a rotating cast that Mr. Bernard has not had to defend himself from false conjecture. In fact, Tony wasn't even the only one killed in last night's episode — Sean Astin's Lynn McGill, a new character this season, fell prey to the deadly nerve gas that leaked into the Counter Terrorist Unit office at the heart of the show. (As did Edgar (Louis Lombardi), the loveable computer geek, in the previous episode.)

In playing Tony for five years, Mr. Bernard always wondered when his number would come up. "My feeling every year going into the next year was, listen, if there's an interesting story line, great, let's do it," he said on the telephone last week. "But if there's not, it's time to move on, really. Creatively, I didn't get into acting to play one character my whole life."

Tony was supposed to die in the season premiere, along with his wife, Michelle, who blew up in a car, and former President David Palmer, who was shot. Howard Gordon, an executive producer of "24," said that Mr. Bernard suggested that Tony last longer into the season to try to avenge Michelle's death. He and the writers agreed it was a good idea, partly because the idea of killing three popular characters in the season opener seemed risky. "It was just so depressing that it felt overwhelming," Mr. Gordon said.

The communication between the writers and the cast hasn't always worked as well as the give-and-take with Mr. Bernard. There have been times, Mr. Gordon said, when actors have found out their characters were dying from reading the scripts, rather than being told beforehand. To remedy that mistake, Mr. Gordon has grown practiced in his, as he put it, "Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger" role.

"I think there's really nothing better on this show than a well-earned death," he said. "Which doesn't mean they're not disappointed. And sometimes a little angry."

Mr. Gordon agreed with the suggestion that reality television might have influenced the ever-shortening lives of characters on scripted television. "There is absolutely a 'Survivor'-fication of television at some level," he said. "All these shows, whether it's 'Survivor' or 'American Idol,' are always about somebody leaving the show. It's always about a symbolic death."

This season of "24" began with Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) returning from the dead after he had to disappear in the finale last May. The actual death of Jack is where Mr. Gordon said he would like the series to end, whenever that may be. "He's a tragic character, and tragedy ends in death," he said.

But for now, it is Jack's companions who are at risk. Mr. Gordon said, "The irony is that he comes back to life, and everyone around him dies."

savafan
03-16-2006, 02:34 PM
Sadly, he is.

Or maybe he isn't...:confused:

http://24.wikicities.com/wiki/Tony_Almeida

Tony's supposed death was left ambiguous at the end of Day 5 7:00pm-8:00pm as he lost consciousness just before the final clock of the episode, which was not a silent clock. In an interviewwith Howard Gordon on March 14, 2006(the day after the episode aired), he refused to confirm that he was dead or alive, and said that viewers would have to tune in to the next episode to find out for sure. This incident has caused the most debate among fans of any incident in the series.

savafan
03-21-2006, 05:07 AM
Don't really think Audrey had anything to do with the schematics that Stenger sold to Bierko, but maybe her dad did...I don't know, just speculating.

The VP is slime.

Stoller is the same guy who played Desmond on "Lost"
http://imdb.com/name/nm0193738/

HotCorner
03-21-2006, 09:16 AM
That was a nice twist ... Wow!

Stoller is the same guy who played Desmond on "Lost"

Yeah that answers the question for LOST fans as to where Desmond went. ;)

MWM
03-21-2006, 09:56 AM
The Vice-President is crooked. He's the one who is attempting David Palmer's brother's assassination (I was wondering why the secret service guy was letting the VP know instead of someone else about Palmer's request. Now we know). So the President is spineless and the VP is in bed with the terrorists. That sounds about how Hollywood views Republicans (and no coincidence that Logan is playing about like the perception of Bush as an incompetent boob, and the VP is playing about how they view Cheney, a tough guy behind the scenes making all the real decisions).

Overall, this season is progressing very well. They've definitely mixed it up a little from seasons past over the past few episodes. I like what they're doing. The only thing I'd change is in not making high ranking gov't officials heavily involved with the terrorists. That plot method is a little too easy and lacking originality. But it's still fun to watch (even though bringing Kim back at all was a waste of time and a dumb plot twist).

Roy Tucker
03-21-2006, 10:20 AM
I hope the VP being crooked isn't at the end of it all. Seems like they are telegraphing that a little heavy-handedly and obviously. I'd like to think he is just power-mad.

Something makes me think Jack is going to rue double-crossing that German spy guy. I did like that little Mission-Impossible-esque destroying of the wet list memory chip. That darn Jack, he is one clever guy.

When the evil van pulled in behind Wayne Palmer, I thought "oh man, they are just killing off the old regulars left and right". But it looks like he eludes the bad guys, whoever they are.

Casting aspersions at Audrey Raines was a nice twist. Whoever planted her name did a nice job of discombobulating Jack.

Chloe should marry Frank Burns from MASH so they can have the ultimate ferret-faced children.

Steve4192
03-21-2006, 10:39 AM
no coincidence that Logan is playing about like the perception of Bush as an incompetent boob
Actually, the creators of 24 have said on numerous occasions that the Logan admistration is based on Nixon, not Dubya.

Puffy
03-21-2006, 11:40 AM
The Vice-President is crooked. He's the one who is attempting David Palmer's brother's assassination (I was wondering why the secret service guy was letting the VP know instead of someone else about Palmer's request. Now we know). So the President is spineless and the VP is in bed with the terrorists. That sounds about how Hollywood views Republicans (and no coincidence that Logan is playing about like the perception of Bush as an incompetent boob, and the VP is playing about how they view Cheney, a tough guy behind the scenes making all the real decisions).

Except that the President who dies on the plane last year was a Republican and they made him look like a great, powerful leader.

Puffy
03-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Also - outside of the first year, when they had to use Democrat because of the convention and the assaination happening on the day of a primary, they have never mentioned parties. The only reason we know Logan is a republican is because of the line of succession. As a matter of fact, if you just picked up the show this year you would never know what party Logan was in, because they have never mentioned it.

Matt700wlw
03-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Holy crap, Audrey!!?!?!

What a great twist!!!

Man, that girl who sold things to the terrorists was smoking! :)

MWM
03-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Except that the President who dies on the plane last year was a Republican and they made him look like a great, powerful leader.

Good point. But I was being more light-hearted than anything else. Honestly, I've never thought politics really came into play in the show too much and that's good because they'd lose a lot of viewers. I really don't care that much, but I still say it's not a coincidence (but I'm pretty biased because President Logan isn't that far off of how I view President Bush).

LoganBuck
03-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Nobody died last night!

Last night was a build up night. Major plot turns are coming. I am guessing we find out how President Palmer knew about the terrorist plot.

Audrey a traitor?

creek14
03-21-2006, 04:12 PM
I didn't like last night. I like it when they do things that could really happen in the intel world and last night they said/did a couple things that couldn't.

It was like reading a Tom Clancy novel.

Roy Tucker
03-21-2006, 05:12 PM
Yeah. I'm a computer guy and sometimes the stuff they do I go "naaaaawwww, get outta here".

Once in a blue moon they say something that actually makes sense.

LoganBuck
03-21-2006, 05:16 PM
What? You mean Chloe would not have been so easily able to hack into the NSA database in real life? Or was it Jack's self destructing smartcard? I found all of those things to be very believable.

creek14
03-21-2006, 07:38 PM
What? You mean Chloe would not have been so easily able to hack into the NSA database in real life? Or was it Jack's self destructing smartcard? I found all of those things to be very believable.
Neither.

MWM
03-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Come on creek, you know you'd hack your way into the system and get that WET list for a night on the town with Adam.

creek14
03-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Come on creek, you know you'd hack your way into the system and get that WET list for a night with Adam.
Been there, done that. :devil:

savafan
03-22-2006, 03:49 AM
(even though bringing Kim back at all was a waste of time and a dumb plot twist).

I don't have any inside scoop, but I predict that Kim's reappearance will be huge in the coming weeks.

savafan
03-22-2006, 04:42 AM
potential spoiler below!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1020124/

Look at the cast list for 1:00 AM-2:00 AM. Now, I'm not going to put too much stock in it due to imdb already having been wrong before, but doesn't that certain blast from the past seem kind of random? Remember though in season one when she killed Terri, she did so after Terri overheard her speaking in German on the phone. Now we have Stoller and the German government involved in some way.

MWM
03-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I don't have any inside scoop, but I predict that Kim's reappearance will be huge in the coming weeks.

Yeah, I could see the German spy somehow using Kim to get the REAL wet list to save face within his agency.

rdiersin
03-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I could see the German spy somehow using Kim to get the REAL wet list to save face within his agency.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Henderson (wasn't that it) who escaped and possibly left, about the same time that Kim did last week. That just dawned on me. Wouldn't Jack have been concerned about that? But no mention this week? Did I miss something?

HotCorner
03-22-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of Henerson (wasn't that it) who escaped and possibly left, about the same time that Kim did last week. That just dawned on me. Wouldn't Jack have been concerned about that? But no mention this week? Did I miss something?

Excellent point. I was surprised that they didn't pursue Henderson's escape with any effort. Weren't they still in lockdown?

rdiersin
03-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Excellent point. I was surprised that they didn't pursue Henderson's escape with any effort. Weren't they still in lockdown?

Yea, that's what I was thinking of. There was no mention of his escape, like it never happened. Seems like he would be someone they would have been interested in getting. Color me confused.

HotCorner
03-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Yea, that's what I was thinking of. There was no mention of his escape, like it never happened. Seems like he would be someone they would have been interested in getting. Color me confused.

Agreed.

As for the whole the Vice-President is "in bed with the terrorists" theory, I have a different spin. I believe his is using it for his agenda which of course is not known at this time. I believe the VP is simply an opportunist and taking advantage of the situation to further his vision.

jmbraun773
03-23-2006, 09:09 AM

Jack asked Audrey during some point if they had found Henderson, but she said no he managed to escape before they locked down the building. I think once they got rid of the syntox (sp?) the building was opened again, only to be locked down once Henderson got away.

OldRightHander
03-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Ok, here's my take on this show. I never have been much of a tv person, at least not for anything other than sports and historical documentaries. A few weeks ago my brother loaned me season 1 on DVD and said I had to check it out. I was hooked at that point and since then have watched seasons 2 and 3 and am currently waiting for season 4 to arrive in the mail. I am hoping that 5 comes out on DVD before 6 airs, so by next season I will be all caught up and then can start either watching it live or recording it.

So that's my reason for not reading this thread. I don't want to catch anything that might be a spoiler or that might give away something that could have happened in 4, which I haven't seen yet. With that said, imagine my utter dismay when I went into some baseball discussions the other day and saw that a certain user is sporting an avatar that would seem to be a rather major spoiler. Shame on you! I have been staying away from this thread because I wanted to avoid anything like that, and then it jumps up and gets me in a baseball thread of all places. That wasn't a nice thing to do. You know who you are. :nono:

LoganBuck
03-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Ok, here's my take on this show. I never have been much of a tv person, at least not for anything other than sports and historical documentaries. A few weeks ago my brother loaned me season 1 on DVD and said I had to check it out. I was hooked at that point and since then have watched seasons 2 and 3 and am currently waiting for season 4 to arrive in the mail. I am hoping that 5 comes out on DVD before 6 airs, so by next season I will be all caught up and then can start either watching it live or recording it.

So that's my reason for not reading this thread. I don't want to catch anything that might be a spoiler or that might give away something that could have happened in 4, which I haven't seen yet. With that said, imagine my utter dismay when I went into some baseball discussions the other day and saw that a certain user is sporting an avatar that would seem to be a rather major spoiler. Shame on you! I have been staying away from this thread because I wanted to avoid anything like that, and then it jumps up and gets me in a baseball thread of all places. That wasn't a nice thing to do. You know who you are. :nono:

Start living in the present!

savafan
03-24-2006, 01:48 PM
I can't win for losing.

OldRightHander
03-24-2006, 01:58 PM
I can't win for losing.

But at least I don't know how.

OldRightHander
03-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Start living in the present!

I have rather enjoyed watching them on DVD though. When they drop a cliffhanger at the end of an episode you don't have to wait a week for the next one. Anyway, I am hoping that the current season gets released on DVD before the next one airs so I can be caught up by then.

OldRightHander
03-24-2006, 10:06 PM
The postman delivered season 4 today. I'm 4 episodes into it so far. I'm almost caught up to y'all.

LoganBuck
03-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Last night was actually the most tedious episode of 24 I can remember in a long time. The syntox thing is now resolved, but what is the next bugaboo? With Bierko in custody, I would think now the pendulum swings to Henderson. Obviously little Bro Palmer, is the key to the coming story line. Time will tell.

savafan
03-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Last night was actually the most tedious episode of 24 I can remember in a long time. The syntox thing is now resolved, but what is the next bugaboo? With Bierko in custody, I would think now the pendulum swings to Henderson. Obviously little Bro Palmer, is the key to the coming story line. Time will tell.

Yeah, last night's episode just made me mad. It was like the show was spinning its wheels, but not going anywhere. I think there has to be a bigger fish than Henderson, he's just too obvious. The door has been flung wide open for Secretary of Defense Heller to reappear now though.

HotCorner
03-28-2006, 01:42 PM
I believe the VP has a much larger role in this than we are aware of. Also what's up with the new psycho CTU analyst? It must be a prerequisite at CTU.

Puffy
03-28-2006, 01:58 PM
I believe the VP has a much larger role in this than we are aware of. Also what's up with the new psycho CTU analyst? It must be a prerequisite at CTU.

That is the great Wellington Mara's grandaughter. Pretty cool.

savafan
03-28-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the inside man in the White House is Mike Novick, and no, I have nothing to back up this prediction, just a gut feeling.

Walt Cummings' suicide was too convenient.

HotCorner
03-28-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the inside man in the White House is Mike Novick, and no, I have nothing to back up this prediction, just a gut feeling.

This thought has crossed my mind.

jmbraun773
03-28-2006, 03:26 PM

I hope not because I have always like Mike Novick, and that would just be bad.

Aaron Pierce (sp?), the head Secret Service guy has had two RPG's shot at him in the same day, but he is almost as tough as Jack.

Was all of the remaining syntox gas used at that place, or is there still some left?

Roy Tucker
03-28-2006, 03:57 PM
I thought it was pretty good. Isn't this how Season 2 went?

Audrey and Walt Cummings? Eeewwwww... However, I think Audrey is a very good actress and is still the mole.

I think Jack is actually dead and Aaron Pierce, US Secret Service, will take his place.

Chloe grew a pair with that slimeball IT guy.

I did like how Jack did not hesitate one picosecond in turning the gas distribution center into a bonfire. What's a 24 without a lot of good explosions?

Roy Tucker
03-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Actually, I expect Tony Womack and his evil sidekick Scott Hatteberg to show up on the finale of 24 as the ultimate villains of the universe.

MWM
03-28-2006, 04:03 PM
I like the way this season is progressing a lot. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Audrey is involved. Probably not, but it wouldn't surprise me. Didn't she scream, "I'll tell the truth" right before Jack came in and stopped the torture?

And I think the rest of the show will be about the Vice President and Henderson. I told my wife in the first few episodes that I thought that the first lady's personal assistant lady was crooked. I stand by that prediction.

jmbraun773
03-28-2006, 04:27 PM
I told my wife in the first few episodes that I thought that the first lady's personal assistant lady was crooked. I stand by that prediction.

I had never even thought about that...the first time it crossed my mind was when they showed the previews for next week. Great prediction!!

TheGARB
03-28-2006, 04:39 PM
I have a question. I know it's cool to blow up an entire natural gas distribution facility and all, but couldn't they have just increased the pressure in the pipes to turn the cyntox intert again? And how exactly was the cyntox supposed to get into the lungs of the citizens of LA? Why does it matter if it burns at the facility rather than burn in Joe Schmoe's furnace or on his stove? Do people use natural gas for any other purpose than to burn it?

I know I should suspend reality, and believe me, I loved to watch Jack destroy a whole natural gas facility, but I just didn't get the strategy of the terrorists.

Matt700wlw
03-28-2006, 06:44 PM
The VP is the one who wanted Logan to order Martial Law...to keep them all in their homes....Mrs. Logan on more than one occasion suggested to the Prez to not let the VP run the show because he wants to take Logan down.......if things go well, he'll take the credit, if things don't, Logan gets the blame....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

wolfboy
03-28-2006, 10:23 PM
I have a question. I know it's cool to blow up an entire natural gas distribution facility and all, but couldn't they have just increased the pressure in the pipes to turn the cyntox intert again? And how exactly was the cyntox supposed to get into the lungs of the citizens of LA? Why does it matter if it burns at the facility rather than burn in Joe Schmoe's furnace or on his stove? Do people use natural gas for any other purpose than to burn it?

I know I should suspend reality, and believe me, I loved to watch Jack destroy a whole natural gas facility, but I just didn't get the strategy of the terrorists.

I had the same thought. If anyone was in a position to breathe the cyntox gas, I would think they'd have died of carbon monoxide poisoning a long time ago.

As far as the pressure goes, I think it had to do with the time constraints. It took 15 minutes or so to get the pressure down, so I'd assume it would take that long to bring it back up.

FWIW, my girlfriend is convinced that Mike is involved with the attacks. For some reason, I think that would be too easy. Same goes for the VP. My out of the blue gut feeling type prediction is that Mrs. Logan might be involved. The previews show her assistant saying something to the effect of "I have evidence of who is behind this". The person she's closest to in the administration is Mrs. Palmer.

savafan
03-29-2006, 01:39 AM
The person she's closest to in the administration is Mrs. Palmer.

That'd be something. ;)

MrCinatit
03-29-2006, 08:46 AM

i wondered about that, too.
only thing i (sort of) figured is this:
when the attack was going on at CTU, a corrosive agent began eating away at their seals.
perhaps that has something to do with it? but, again, i am only thinking out loud.

TheGARB
03-29-2006, 09:18 AM
i wondered about that, too.
only thing i (sort of) figured is this:
when the attack was going on at CTU, a corrosive agent began eating away at their seals.
perhaps that has something to do with it? but, again, i am only thinking out loud.

Good point. I had forgotten about the corrosive agent. That makes much more sense now.

I think the VP is involved, though maybe unknowingly. The writers like to have people in higher up positions get manipulated by an evil mastermind. My guess is that the VP is being encouraged behind the scenes by the real genius behind this whole plot (Sherry Palmer's ghost, which is being manipulated by Nina's ghost). There's still like 10 hours left, right? That's too much time for it to be as easy as the VP being the bad guy.

One last thing, did anyone else notice that the reason that Jack is saving Bierko (sp?) is because "he's our only link to Henderson"? When did Henderson become the big catch? I would think they want Bierko because he is the link to the terroist organization that has ruined everbody's day. Maybe I just think about this show too much?

wolfboy
03-29-2006, 09:40 AM
One last thing, did anyone else notice that the reason that Jack is saving Bierko (sp?) is because "he's our only link to Henderson"? When did Henderson become the big catch? I would think they want Bierko because he is the link to the terroist organization that has ruined everbody's day. Maybe I just think about this show too much?

Seems personal for Jack.

RFS62
03-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Seems personal for Jack.

Oh yeah. And I have no doubt that Henderson is going to get his evil clutches on Kim, most likely accidentally ripping some of her clothes off.

And her punk-ass boyfriend/shrink is gonna cry like a little girl and most likely bite the bullet. Hopefully Jack will get a chance to torture him first, though.

savafan
03-29-2006, 10:15 AM
I think there are 9 episodes left.

Reds Fanatic
03-29-2006, 10:25 AM
That is right there are 9 episodes left.

TheGARB
03-29-2006, 10:38 AM

Oh yeah, I was thinking it started at 8am, but it started at 7am. See, I don't ever get up before 7, so I have a hard time believe other people do, I guess. :D

MWM
03-29-2006, 10:58 AM

Yeah, I struggle with the suspension of reality sometimes, too. But it seems this season has been better than past seasons as far as this goes. The thing that REALLY gets to me more than anything else is how few people they send to diffuse a situation. They had all this nerve gas at a natural gas plant and it would kill a couple hundred thousand people. It's the thing they've been working towards the entire season, and they send Jack and a couple other guys. They do this all the time. It's one of the few things that really bother me.

MrCinatit
03-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I struggle with the suspension of reality sometimes, too. But it seems this season has been better than past seasons as far as this goes. The thing that REALLY gets to me more than anything else is how few people they send to diffuse a situation. They had all this nerve gas at a natural gas plant and it would kill a couple hundred thousand people. It's the thing they've been working towards the entire season, and they send Jack and a couple other guys. They do this all the time. It's one of the few things that really bother me.

i found that interesting, as well - but then again, you don't want many in there clomping around, either. considering those guys sent in were "the elite" - and they had Jack - maybe they thought fewer was better.

Steve4192
03-29-2006, 01:56 PM
And her punk-ass boyfriend/shrink is gonna cry like a little girl
They really should work an angle where he and Audrey hook up .... they are perfect for one another. Just imagine the amount of incessant whining they could fit into a five minute scene featuring those two.

Meanwhile, Kim could visit the zoo to cheer herself up over the loss of yet another boyfriend, and accidently fall into the alligator/polar bear/killer llama pit.

TheGARB
03-29-2006, 02:02 PM
i found that interesting, as well - but then again, you don't want many in there clomping around, either. considering those guys sent in were "the elite" - and they had Jack - maybe they thought fewer was better.

My wife and I like to try to pick out the one that is going to die at the beginning of the scene since there are usually 2 or 3 that are in helmets - clearly an item that makes them more of a target for bullets. It really is an amazing feat that the guys in armor that walk behind Jack and Curtis are the ones to die. I would think that the bad guys would want to shoot at the lead guys who aren't wearing all of that protective gear. :D

savafan
03-29-2006, 02:19 PM
My wife and I like to try to pick out the one that is going to die at the beginning of the scene since there are usually 2 or 3 that are in helmets - clearly an item that makes them more of a target for bullets. It really is an amazing feat that the guys in armor that walk behind Jack and Curtis are the ones to die. I would think that the bad guys would want to shoot at the lead guys who aren't wearing all of that protective gear. :D

It's just like the guys in the red shirts in the original Star Trek series.

RFS62
03-30-2006, 08:21 AM
Jack is the Jim Coombs of the spy world. Body armor would be redundant

wolfboy
03-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Oh yeah. And I have no doubt that Henderson is going to get his evil clutches on Kim, most likely accidentally ripping some of her clothes off.

And her punk-ass boyfriend/shrink is gonna cry like a little girl and most likely bite the bullet. Hopefully Jack will get a chance to torture him first, though.

Ponyboy might cry, but don't mess with Johnny or Dally.

Puffy
04-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Wow - shocking.

RFS62
04-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Wow - shocking.

No kidding.

That lying weasel. His wife is gonna have to take him down in the end.

Falls City Beer
04-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Fonzie, wax up those skis.

LoganBuck
04-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Yikes, imo, there couldn't be a more less likely choice as the terrorists inside guy. I agree with FCB, the shark is looking up. The show has just been a mess the last two weeks, and I just can't see how this is going to come back together in a relatively plausible way. Perhaps Logan is also a hybrid alien!

Steve4192
04-04-2006, 01:53 AM
Fonzie, wax up those skis.
It saddens me to say it, but I think you are right. Unless they pull something out of their arse to explain tonight's revelation, I think 24 just jumped the shark.

Roy Tucker
04-04-2006, 09:09 AM
President Logan? Whaaaat? This really has me scratching my head.

Does he work for SPECTRE?

top6
04-04-2006, 12:41 PM
This is what 24 has been like every year. Just like the first season - it made no sense that Nina was the mole. She hadn't acted like the mole at any point. Then, 2 episodes from the end, they decided she was the mole.

The writers admit, nay, brag, that they just make everything up as they go along. They have no idea where it's going, and there never was a plan. Their genius is really in creating suspensful and fun situations for Jack to get out of; they aren't trying to come up with a season-long arch that makes sense. Now, we will get some scenes of Jack trying to take on the President - presumably without CTU's resources behind him. Awesome.

savafan
04-04-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm suspending a lot of reality right now.

So many questions...

MartyFan
04-06-2006, 01:43 PM
The thing they have not done is reveal what angle Logan is working to be the insider...everyone around him was telling him to do this or don't do that and so my thought is this.

Palmer is working with Jacks old bossat CTU in a STING operation at the highest levels of the government to see who is and is not faithful...when all is said and done the former mentor to Jack (can't remember his name right now) will be returned to CTU as it's director.

I also believe that we are not done with Jacks love iinterest from the Texas oil fields just yet...Audrea is going to be found on the wrong end of the whoopin stick along with her father, Mrs. Logan and the VP in this sting.

I love this show!

TRF
04-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Man it sure seems to be easy to infiltrate CTU headquarters and plant a bomb/poison gas/porn on Chloe's computer.

I'm trying, but last season was a lot better.

This season seems like every line is over the top soap opera times infinity. And I want to like it. I do, but this one is waaaay over the top.

MartyFan
04-07-2006, 02:14 PM
I still love the show...as for getting into CTU? I think that has been made easier because of the level of the breach, "AT THE HIGHEST OFFICES OF OUR COUNTRYS GOVERNMENT"

I'm still hooked...if for nothing else to see how Jack cheats death...oh, did I mention I think he really gets killed this year?

savafan
04-12-2006, 01:06 PM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14029

24 star Kiefer Sutherland has signed a deal to stay with the Fox show for three more years, through May 2009, reports Variety.

As part of the pact, Sutherland will establish a production company on the 20th Century Fox lot to produce series programming for both broadcast and cable networks.

The deal makes Sutherland one of the highest-paid drama actors on television.

Sutherland, currently co-executive producer on 24, will be bumped up to executive producer for the upcoming sixth and seven seasons of the show. He shares that title with creators Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran, as well as Howard Gordon and Evan Katz.

Finally, while the deal with Fox is for TV only, Sutherland said he and the show's producers continue to believe in the idea of bringing the 24 franchise to the big screen. The earliest the movie would begin shooting, however, is late spring 2007, Sutherland said.

Quality control is the chief reason a 24 feature couldn't shoot during the upcoming hiatus, Sutherland added.

"It was really Joel and Bob and Howard realizing that if we were going to squeeze it in during the break, we would have been rushing it," he said. "If we were going to do it, we would do it next summer. It's still a big 'if.' We would not go forward unless we thought we could do it right."

The film likely would depart from the series by condensing an entire day into about two hours, rather than unfolding in real time.

Sutherland isn't shooting a feature this hiatus in anticipation of working on a 24 film next summer.

Puffy
04-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Kate Mara is hot - and being a NY Giants fan she has quickly become my ideal woman. If I could marry her and get in on front office decisions....

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/916060/katemara_wbtca05.jpg

savafan
04-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Kate Mara is hot - and being a NY Giants fan she has quickly become my ideal woman. If I could marry her and get in on front office decisions....

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/916060/katemara_wbtca05.jpg

Just don't touch her shoulder.

jmbraun773
04-13-2006, 09:39 AM
I agree she is very hot, but look at her the wrong way and you might get hit with a sexual harrasment suit. :bang:

savafan
04-18-2006, 04:55 AM
They've changed the formula. This may be the best season yet. Last night was full of those edge of your seat, whisper or shout profanity at your TV type of moments.

jmbraun773
04-18-2006, 09:21 AM
I agree completely savafan. I knew President Logans phone was going to ring right at the wrong moment.

rah-ri
04-18-2006, 09:23 AM
okay...what time does this end? How many more episodes till the end. And...I still don't get it, President Logan in 24 hours time has changed from a non-decisional guy...to this cut to the throat actor. GRRRRRR.

What happened to the secret service agent and her daughter? I musta missed that part listening to the Dragon's game.

I love Kiefer/...but I have to admit...the acting is cheesy and redundandt.:bang:

Roy Tucker
04-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Last night's episode was number 18. So there are 6 left.

Aaron Pierce is missing. Which is a really bad thing. The way Martha looked at Aaron, I thought she was going to put the service back in the Secret Service on the floor right then.

I still think it's going to be Martha and Jack at the end to bring down Logan.

As soon as Secretary Heller's bodyguard got his gun back to help Jack, I knew he was dead. Everyone around Jack dies. Just like the bank guy.

So Audrey is going to bleed out in 3 minutes? And then Jack puts on a tourniquet and tells her to lay down and then she's OK? Audrey ought to talk to Evelyn to found out how that tactic works.

The net is tightening around Logan. Like I told my daughter, "oh, what a tangled web we weave".

We got a little of the backstory about why Logan is doing all this (which sounded kinda cheesy). Something about nerve gas was supposed to be deployed in Russia and then Logan could invoke the military clause of the treaty blah blah blah. Or something like that.

rah-ri
04-18-2006, 09:49 AM
but what happened to the secret service girl?

ANd isn't Heller Audri Raines's dad? He was still alive.....wasn't he?

HotCorner
04-18-2006, 10:42 AM
When Heller hit Jack, it almost felt a bit WWE'ish. I could hear Jim Ross.

"OH MY GOD! HELLER HIT BAUER! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!?"

but what happened to the secret service girl?

I believe you are referring to the first lady's assistant. As for her fate, I don't believe it's known but I'm under the assumption that Henderson killed her and her daughter after he got Jack's location.

MrCinatit
04-18-2006, 10:57 AM
I believe you are referring to the first lady's assistant. As for her fate, I don't believe it's known but I'm under the assumption that Henderson killed her and her daughter after he got Jack's location.

I had thought they were going to be kidnapped.
This could be a classic case of the red herring, where we are made to forget something which could potentially play a key element later on.

savafan
04-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Aaron Pierce is missing. Which is a really bad thing. The way Martha looked at Aaron, I thought she was going to put the service back in the Secret Service on the floor right then.

I'm hoping Aaron went dark for his own safety.

RFS62
04-18-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm hoping Aaron went dark for his own safety.

I have a bad feeling about Aaron. I don't think he's done yet, I think he'll do something heroic and go down in flames though.

savafan
04-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Where is Curtis? Was he let go in the CTU takeover by Homeland Security?

When Heller came back into the hangar and did the takedown on Jack, that blew me away.

Also, Jack is showing too much human weakness all of a sudden. I expected him to shoot Audrey and take on Henderson.

Reds Fanatic
04-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Where is Curtis? Was he let go in the CTU takeover by Homeland Security?
I think Curtis was let go in the takeover. I don't think we have seen the last of him. Jack has few people left he can count on and you will probably see him back before the end of the year.

Roy Tucker
04-18-2006, 02:48 PM
The idea of Buchanan, Wayne, and Chloe in the Bill bachelor pad sounds promising. Especially with Chloe heisting Miles' ID card.

The split screen at the end had to set some kind of record. Was it 6 or 8 screens?

savafan
04-18-2006, 03:00 PM
The split screen at the end had to set some kind of record. Was it 6 or 8 screens?

I thought I counted 12, but it was fast, so I'm not sure.

jmbraun773
04-18-2006, 04:10 PM
I think Jack called Aaron and told him to go dark and wait for Curtis somewhere. :thumbup:

Allegro
04-18-2006, 04:56 PM
But why would he drop his phone??

Unassisted
04-18-2006, 05:42 PM
I thought I counted 12, but it was fast, so I'm not sure. It was 8. The upper left box is Heller's.

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/2258/248screens6kl.jpg

savafan
04-19-2006, 03:43 AM
I'm hoping that Henderson somehow finds Kim and Barry here soon. It doesn't make much sense bringing them into this story if they have no purpose in it's outcome.

jmbraun773
04-19-2006, 11:23 AM
savafan i am hoping the same thing. I keep wondering when they are going to bring them back into the picture. I know it is coming but I have no idea how, why, or when.

creek14
04-19-2006, 01:06 PM
We were just talking (laughing) about the show here at work. Too many things that can't really be done. But I still watch (and yell at the TV).

LoganBuck
04-19-2006, 02:10 PM
But why would he drop his phone??

Jack would not need a phone to contact Aaron, that would be redundant, Aaron has ESP.

griffeyfreak4
04-20-2006, 08:25 PM
What about the German government agent, he is going to come back. It's the same with Kim and Berry. They wouldn't still be alive if they didn't contribute anything to the plot.

Everyone dies in this show!

Puffy
04-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Yup, they done pissed off Jack. That was their biggest mistake, cause Jack is gonna bring the pain. And how about Karen Hughes getting involved on the right side - good for her!

rdiersin
04-25-2006, 11:59 AM
A couple of weeks ago, I kind of thought this season was dragging, but the past two episodes have been great. I also liked how in the last episode, Pres. Logan seemed as if he was more in charge, but this week we see that he was still being the spineless jellyfish as he was before.

HotCorner
04-25-2006, 12:12 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I kind of thought this season was dragging, but the past two episodes have been great. I also liked how in the last episode, Pres. Logan seemed as if he was more in charge, but this week we see that he was still being the spineless jellyfish as he was before.

I wouldn't call him a spineless jellyfish but we now see that he's not calling the shots. However the guy whom he was speaking with looked familiar.

The revelation that Logan had a role in Cummings "suicide" only confirmed my belief that his death was way too convenient. I'm also starting to wonder whether Miles (Homeland Security) is working for Logan.

HotCorner
04-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Now I remember. He reminded me of Andre Drazen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Drazen) from Season 1 but he's dead.

HotCorner
04-25-2006, 12:30 PM
One more thing ;) Wasn't Wayne with Bill and Chloe last week? Where did he go?

rdiersin
04-25-2006, 12:32 PM
One more thing ;) Wasn't Wayne with Bill and Chloe last week? Where did he go?

I thought the same thing when watching last night's episode. I was a bit confused there, I can't remember him leaving from the last episode.

Roy Tucker
04-25-2006, 01:08 PM
So I'm not entirely clear as to why Heller decided to drive off a cliff. Was it so the bad guys wouldn't kill him first? Or did he think he was going to be captured?

Evidently Jack's hoodie has magic cloaking powers.

Poetic justice would be for a helicopter to drop on Rocket Romano.

Unassisted
04-25-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm also starting to wonder whether Miles (Homeland Security) is working for Logan.I'm not wondering that at all. I'm almost certain of it.

I find it hard to believe that he's nearly as proficient with the computers as Chloe. He comes across as more of a petty bureaucrat than a technical whiz.

savafan
04-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Poetic justice would be for a helicopter to drop on Rocket Romano.

I always thought Dr. Romano was a bit evil and power hungry.

http://ak1.aka.eonline.com/7/1480/1218/0001/www.eonline.com/Features/Features/Tube2001/Tidbits/ShowHopping/Images/mccrane.jpg

RedsNeck
04-25-2006, 03:16 PM

I always thought Dr. Romano was a bit evil and power hungry.

http://ak1.aka.eonline.com/7/1480/1218/0001/www.eonline.com/Features/Features/Tube2001/Tidbits/ShowHopping/Images/mccrane.jpg

I agree his death should without a doubt be at least helicopter related;)

Allegro
05-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Tremendous episode last night. I am loving this season. What's cool to me is the amount of tension building up, yet there seems to be no iminent nuclear explosion, nerve gas release, etc... just good old fashioned intrigue. I loved the part with Chloe , the bar guy and the stun gun.
Hilarious.

WVRed
05-02-2006, 11:22 AM
The city of Los Angeles once named a street after Jack Bauer in gratitude for his saving the city several times. They had to rename it after people kept dying when they tried to cross the street. No one crosses Jack Bauer and lives.

Theres my contribution to this thread, and no, I have never watched 24.:)

jmbraun773
05-02-2006, 12:36 PM
I loved the part with Chloe , the bar guy and the stun gun.
Hilarious.

Especially when he started waking back up and she hit him with it again. :beerme:

That was great when Jack sat next to the air marshall, picked up a pillow, looked around, and then knocked him out. :thumbup: Was wondering why he picked up a pillow, then it all made sense.

MWM
05-03-2006, 12:50 AM
I was worried with the Presidential story line. They redeemed themself and it turned out it was going to be so bad. Now, if they attempt shoot a plane down because Jack bauer is on it, that's just ridiculous....shark jumping territory.

savafan
05-03-2006, 02:00 AM
I think the phrase "jump the shark" has jumped the shark. ;)

This week's episode was mainly filler, leading up to an explosive climax, in my opinion.

While I am loving this season more than any season since the first, I am a bit upset that the writers have simply dropped so many characters without explanation:

Kim
Barry
The chick Jack was living near, and her son
Wayne Palmer
The first lady's assistant, and her daughter
Bierko

Aaron Pierce better show up again, because transferring him to DC is a pathetic way for him to leave the show after all he's done this year. I am also a bit upset that Tony had such an undramatic death, and there has been no mention of him since his demise, after all he's done on the show over the past 4 seasons.

HotCorner
05-03-2006, 11:23 AM
I was worried with the Presidential story line. They redeemed themself and it turned out it was going to be so bad. Now, if they attempt shoot a plane down because Jack bauer is on it, that's just ridiculous....shark jumping territory.

Well put on the skis Fonzi because based on previews that appears to happen next week.

HotCorner
05-03-2006, 11:30 AM
I think the phrase "jump the shark" has jumped the shark. ;)

This week's episode was mainly filler, leading up to an explosive climax, in my opinion.

While I am loving this season more than any season since the first, I am a bit upset that the writers have simply dropped so many characters without explanation:

Kim
Barry
Wayne Palmer
Bierko

Aaron Pierce better show up again, because transferring him to DC is a pathetic way for him to leave the show after all he's done this year. I am also a bit upset that Tony had such an undramatic death, and there has been no mention of him since his demise, after all he's done on the show over the past 4 seasons.

Sava ... I feel the exact same way. Too many characters have quietly exited without much of an explanation.

I would add the German operative, "Desmond", Russian President Yuri Suvarov and SOD Heller to your list. It has not been officially confirmed that Heller is dead ... just assumed.

Also if Suvarov finds out that Logan was behind his assassination attempt, things could get awfully dicey.

GoReds
05-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Also if Suvarov finds out that Logan was behind his assassination attempt, things could get awfully dicey.

Which leads us to next year.

The only thing that bothers me about 24 is that the writers admit that they don't have a full story outlined at the beginning of the season. They simply write and produce the first several episodes and then let the storyline develop.

That can lead to some great stories, but allows for a whole lot of plot holes. Disappearing characters, stories that start but never conclude are the result.

I understand that Lost is written in much the same way.

savafan
05-09-2006, 02:00 AM
Miles is a worm.

savafan
05-09-2006, 02:54 AM

Kim
Barry
Wayne Palmer
Bierko

I now withdraw some of this criticism. :)

Roy Tucker
05-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Miles is a worm.
An anagram for Miles is Slime.

Prez Logan was minutes away from blowing his brains out. I was afraid he was going to off Martha as well.

So what did Miles do to the incriminating little memory stick to cause it to malfunction? I was explaining other plot lines (the problem with watching it with my kids) and kinda missed what happened.

Reds Fanatic
05-09-2006, 09:07 AM
An anagram for Miles is Slime.

Prez Logan was minutes away from blowing his brains out. I was afraid he was going to off Martha as well.

So what did Miles do to the incriminating little memory stick to cause it to malfunction? I was explaining other plot lines (the problem with watching it with my kids) and kinda missed what happened.
Miles came in while Chloe was copying it to their computer system. While he was talking to her he leaned in next to the recording and had something in his hand that I guess would cause the recording to be erased.

TRF
05-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Wanna bet that memory stick isn't the real one, and that Heller has the real stick?

Puffy
05-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Miles came in while Chloe was copying it to their computer system. While he was talking to her he leaned in next to the recording and had something in his hand that I guess would cause the recording to be erased.

My guess would be a magnet