PDA

View Full Version : Holding my breath until Thursday

WVRedsFan
01-17-2006, 02:23 AM
It's Tuesday in West Virginia and that means only two more days until the ownership can take over. At this point I'm not fearful and I only look ahead with optimism (guarded optimism for sure) at what can be done once the change is final--with crossed fingers.

My hope is that the new owners come in and get rid of Allen, O'Brien, most of the rest of the front office (and especially including the PR department), field management, and TV crew. Of course, all of that won't happen, but that's my hope.

For obvious reasons, no competent owner would want John Allen in his present position just because of PR alone. He's loathed by Reds fans. Fire him or kick him downstairs (he might make a great usher). O'Brien is a total idiot and needs to look elsewhere for employment even if it means we have to use Marty Brenneman as the GM for a year (I'm serious--I could have used Porky Pig, but you get my drift). The rest of the front office has been part of a franchise that hasn't had a winning season since 2000. The PR department is woefully inadequate in modern society. They must go. And I hate this for Jerry Narron, Verne Ruhle, and Chris Chambliss, but they all must, at least in the beginning, go. Hire some of them back if you want, but pink slips should be like confetti at an astronaut parade starting Friday. The turmoil would show everyone that there's a new sheriff in town (and I do not mean Don Gullett).

But I wait in anticipation with my glass half full. If some changes are not made I may have to go into exile until opening day. I wouldn't miss that even if we stand pat.

StillFunkyB
01-17-2006, 06:12 AM
I don't even think a large percentage of Reds fans even know who John Allen is. We all here at RedsZone sure do, but that is a smaller percentage....

Anyway, I hope so too, but I doubt it all happens.

membengal
01-17-2006, 07:03 AM
I just don't think anything will be done this late in the off-season, and we are locked into O'Brien and Allen for another baseball season.

Which makes me consistently sick to my stomach.

TOBTTReds
01-17-2006, 10:09 AM
My hope is that the new owners come in and get rid of Allen, O'Brien, most of the rest of the front office

This is just talking out of anger. I'm guessing about 98% of the people here aren't really sure how most of the people that work with DanO effect the team. How can you call someone to be fired if you don't know how they effect the team. I think you'd be surprised at the amount of disagreeing that goes on in meetings there. I know there are many different baseball types in that FO, which might be part of the problem. With so many different personalities, I could see DanO making the final decision based on what he wants, despite part of his staff disagreeing.

GADawg
01-17-2006, 08:38 PM
it's tuesday in WV too? I thought y'all were at least a couple of days behind....maybe you mean last Tuesday? Ha ha... sorry...grew up in Virginia...couldn't resist. Now I'm a dawg...dang Rich Rodriquez and that fake punt!!

creek14
01-17-2006, 08:43 PM
WVRedsFan on Thursday.
http://www.citytourcard.com/img/blue-men.jpg

WVRedsFan
01-17-2006, 08:59 PM
it's tuesday in WV too? I thought y'all were at least a couple of days behind....maybe you mean last Tuesday? Ha ha... sorry...grew up in Virginia...couldn't resist. Now I'm a dawg...dang Rich Rodriquez and that fake punt!!

I recently heard you couldn't spell Sugar (Bowl) without UGA. Well, that was wrong :D .

It's still Tuesday here and we've still got approximately 40 hours before there could be any announcement. Nail biting time.

Kind of like that fake punt, eh GADawg? Brilliant if it works, stupid if it doesn't. Kind of like making Danny Graves a starter.:devil:

WVRedsFan
01-17-2006, 09:00 PM
WVRedsFan on Thursday.
http://www.citytourcard.com/img/blue-men.jpg

That's me. Smurfy nail biting me...

Jpup
01-18-2006, 06:37 AM
I would say that the vast majority of Reds fans don't know who anyone in the front office is. Most of them don't know who Dan O'brien is, and the rest of the story is, they don't care. They just think that the Reds are cheap and won't spend the money to bring in better players. I don't live in Cincinnati but that is the impression that I get.

We know that isn't the whole truth because we are die hards who follow every move of a baseball club on the way to nowhere. After you spend some time on this board, you start to wonder how some people could think like they do, but I was once there so I understand. 3 years ago, I couldn't have told you that John Allen even existed, and I have been following Reds baseball my entire life. I think that the new ownership group has the burden of changing the enviroment surrounding the Cincinnati Reds. Let's hope that starts on Thursday.

KronoRed
01-18-2006, 06:54 AM
Little more then 24 hours to go before WV can breath again ;)

TeamBoone
01-18-2006, 10:14 AM
The press conference is Friday, right?

Reds4Life
01-18-2006, 10:18 AM
The press conference is Friday, right?

Friday at 4pm I think, I could be wrong on the time though.

KronoRed
01-18-2006, 10:22 AM
53 then :D

Unassisted
01-18-2006, 10:50 AM
I hope for WVRF's sake that George Steinbrenner doesn't start one of his famous filibusters. ;)

membengal
01-20-2006, 04:03 PM
So...I guess we are all still holding our breath?

Any news?

Matt700wlw
01-20-2006, 04:12 PM
"We will bring championship baseball back to Cincinnati"

-Robert Castellini, January 20th, 2006

Matt700wlw
01-20-2006, 04:14 PM
"We're buying the Reds to win"

Matt700wlw
01-20-2006, 04:16 PM
-John Allen has agreed to stay. DanO isn't going anywhere.....all parties will report to Castellini

-$60-65 million is the budget....this year

-good baseball leads to good attendance, which leads to more revenue, which leads to bigger budget, which leads to better baseball....

Matt700wlw
01-20-2006, 04:18 PM
"if the fans ain't happy, then nobody's happy"

dsmith421
01-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Blah blah blah. Words mean absolutely nothing.

SHOW US YOU CARE ABOUT WINNING.

Matt700wlw
01-20-2006, 04:28 PM
I just report....

RBA
01-20-2006, 04:41 PM
"John Allen has agreed to stay"

Who said it was his decision? :thumbdown

WVRedsFan
01-20-2006, 04:43 PM
I should have gone ahead and breathed.

Really down.

Not impressive at all.

Reds Pride? Give me something to be proud of.

Matt700wlw
01-20-2006, 04:44 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/cin/y2006/m01/d20/c1298629.jsp

01-20-2006, 04:47 PM
I actually expected less. At least Allen isn't a baseball guy now.

Northern Red
01-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Driving home from work here in Michigan, I was trying to listen to this. There was alot of static and fading in and out. What was he sayig about Sweet Lou? All I heard was he might be invited to Spring Training. It also sounded like a possibility of a return in some way next year?

Maybe it was just wishful thinking amongst the static...

Ravenlord
01-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Driving home from work here in Michigan, I was trying to listen to this. There was alot of static and fading in and out. What was he sayig about Sweet Lou? All I heard was he might be invited to Spring Training. It also sounded like a possibility of a return in some way next year?

Maybe it was just wishful thinking amongst the static...
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=874945#post874945

marcshoe
01-20-2006, 06:12 PM
I had a lot of static too, but I heard something about Spring Training and understood that Pinella will be competing with Wily Mo and Kearns for a spot in the outfield.

That is correct, isn't it? ;)

membengal
01-20-2006, 07:09 PM
"if the fans ain't happy, then nobody's happy"

I ain't happy.

Marc D
01-20-2006, 08:43 PM
-"We will bring championship baseball back to Cincinnati"

-"We're buying the Reds to win"

Cheap talk which is immediatley contradicted by this little factoid per Matt

-John Allen has agreed to stay. DanO isn't going anywhere.....all parties will report to Castellini

My grandfather would sum it all up if he were here by saying "Don't pee down my back and tell me its raining" well he wouldn't say pee but you get the point.

All in all one giant sense of "what-the-bleep-ever, wake me when something actually changes" as far as I'm concerned. Why not give the fans some hope and fire Allen and Dan O now? We're not going to win anything this year with them, what do you have to lose? At least give us hope.

Sea Ray
01-20-2006, 10:31 PM
How does this change anything:

"John Allen will handle the business side of things and Dan O'Brien the baseball side"?

These guys have had months to get ready for this day yet they're changing nothing. You know the saying about insanity and doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...

KronoRed
01-20-2006, 10:41 PM
This seems to me to be the worst case scenario, Dan O is given more power and Allen is still on board.

Hmm

TeamBoone
01-20-2006, 11:35 PM
How does this change anything:

"John Allen will handle the business side of things and Dan O'Brien the baseball side"?

Because previously, Allen was pretty much running the entire show.

IslandRed
01-20-2006, 11:43 PM
I'm not really surprised or upset about anything that happened today. This was Meet The New Owner Day, and that's all. When he fires O'Brien -- and he will, sooner or later -- there can be another press conference for that. Otherwise, he said more than I expected, if less than I dreamed. He's got a product to sell, and he's not going to spend any more time badmouthing it than he must.

The acid test of Castellini "getting it" comes in two parts: (1) Who will he hire to replace O'Brien? (2) Is he aware enough to understand it needs to be done before the draft?

Candy Cummings
01-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Hey, why not be optimistic? We've been disappointed before, and it never killed us.

KronoRed
01-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Hey, why not be optimistic? We've been disappointed before, and it never killed us.
I've got stock options in skeptical CO.

;)

Matt700wlw
01-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Let's give the guy a chance.

WVRedsFan
01-21-2006, 06:37 PM

Even though my initial reaction was somewhat negative, and still is on certain issues, I think Matt's right. Yes, I wanted to see O'Brien, Allen and Narron go, but it was obvious that RCast has designs on replacing O'Brien and possibly Narron.

Although he praised Allen, I say that no matter who you get as your business manager, they're all going to be somewhat like Allen. The mistake the past administration made was thinking he could run the baseball side. I also believe Allen's a short-timer along with DanO and Narron. The only thing that would save Narron would be a second or third place finish and I don't expect that.

I also think that things will get better, but not as quickly as I would like. I hope and think that it will be sooner than later and that O'Brien, if he does not resign or get fired, will be on a short leash.

Reds4Life
01-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Even though my initial reaction was somewhat negative, and still is on certain issues, I think Matt's right. Yes, I wanted to see O'Brien, Allen and Narron go, but it was obvious that RCast has designs on replacing O'Brien and possibly Narron.

Although he praised Allen, I say that no matter who you get as your business manager, they're all going to be somewhat like Allen. The mistake the past administration made was thinking he could run the baseball side. I also believe Allen's a short-timer along with DanO and Narron. The only thing that would save Narron would be a second or third place finish and I don't expect that.

I also think that things will get better, but not as quickly as I would like. I hope and think that it will be sooner than later and that O'Brien, if he does not resign or get fired, will be on a short leash.

One thing became clear fom Cast's comments; Piniella will be with the Reds in some fashion in 2007. My guess would be as manager, I don't see Lou wanting to be a GM again, he's an on the field type of guy. I hope Narron is ready for this, he's going to be haunted by the shadow of Lou Piniella all season.

membengal
01-21-2006, 07:26 PM

Well, really, what option do we have?

I just don't want to see O'Brien in charge of yet another draft. He needs to stop having opportunities to set this franchise back years and years.

KronoRed
01-22-2006, 12:39 AM
Well, really, what option do we have?

We could storm GAB, but we'll need a battering ram ;)

dsmith421
01-22-2006, 03:49 AM
I guess there's nothing to be done but adopt a "wait and see" approach. But if O'Brien is around by the All-Star break, it may be torches and pitchforks time.