PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listen to Colin Cowherd?

TRF
01-17-2006, 09:36 AM
I heard a promo for his show yesterday and he was talking about Jose Canseco. His take was interesting, and i'll try to do credit to him and be as accurate as possible.

Do you remember when Nirvana's Smeel's like Teen Spirit came out? It changed the music scene completely. For a decade we listened to all those hair bands, and we liked them. we defended them. Then Nirvana and all of a sudden we couldn't believe we ever listened to that drek.

That's Jose Canseco. He introduced weightlifting and steroids to baseball, wrote a book, testified before congress, and made punchlines of of Palmeiro, Sosa, Bonds and McGwire. He single handedly brought about the elimination of steroids to the game, a decade and a half after introducing them. If a player, by himself, changes the future, the present, the past of the game, he's a Hall of Famer.

I think I got close, it's not an exact quote, but it's close. It's the last line that got me thinking, and I thought on this all weekend. Canseco's numbers are borderline, but his impact on the game is undeniable. whether or not that impact was positive or not is debatable, but he certainly meets the fame part of the equation.

Joseph
01-17-2006, 09:40 AM
I think it's about your accomplishments on the field, and now Canseco has admitted his numbers are steroid driven and therefore tainted. He is in no way a Hall of Famer.

Cowherd is a moron. I said it the day he replaced Kornheiser, I'll say it again today. He has no real substance, and no real intelligence for that matter. One of those radio jocks who is always right and cuts off people who disagree with his POV.

TRF
01-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Cowherd is a moron. I said it the day he replaced Kornheiser, I'll say it again today. He has no real substance, and no real intelligence for that matter. One of those radio jocks who is always right and cuts off people who disagree with his POV.

Not to get too OT here, but I disagree. Yeah he's opinionated, but nowhere near the level of stupidity of a Jim Rome.

RedFanAlways1966
01-17-2006, 10:02 AM
He single handedly brought about the elimination of steroids to the game, a decade and a half after introducing them.

Okay... Jose single-handily introduced and eliminated steroids according to Cowherd. Did Jose run faster than speeding trains and leap tall buildings too?

These comments by Cowherd are not too smart IMO. I equate the above to saying it is okay that a murderer killed someone as long as he paid for the funeral and helped get youngsters to stop violent ways after the fact. Who cares about the damage done or created, as long as you did "right" in the end.

I highly-highly doubt that Jose introduced steroids to the game. Sounds like comments from a talk-piece who is trying to get people fired up (imagine that). I absolutely-positively guarantee that Jose DID NOT introduce weight-lifting to MLB as Cowherd says. That comment is not true.

Perhaps Pete Rose brought about more awareness of athletes and gambling. That is the very small bit of good that might come from a bad thing. Does not mean that the "instigator" of the bad thing deserves any sort of credit at all. NONE. BTW... did Jose make bucks on his tell-all book? Sounds like someone else who would only "come clean" if he'd make a buck doing it. Sad and pathetic human behavior. Not worthy of any award!

traderumor
01-17-2006, 10:09 AM
I would be more inclined to be impressed by Canseco's ratting out others if he had not done it in a way that he profited from doing so. Really, he exhibited the same behavior that led him to steroids, which is doing what benefits Jose regardless of who he takes down doing it. I think it was beneficial that he wrote the book, but he should not be rewarded when it is certainly not apparent that he did so for the greater good, unless you think like Jose and that the greater good is whatever benefits Jose.

traderumor
01-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Okay... Jose single-handily introduced and eliminated steroids according to Cowherd. Did Jose run faster than speeding trains and leap tall buildings too?

These comments by Cowherd are not too smart IMO. I equate the above to saying it is okay that a murderer killed someone as long as he paid for the funeral and helped get youngsters to stop violent ways after the fact. Who cares about the damage done or created, as long as you did "right" in the end.

I highly-highly doubt that Jose introduced steroids to the game. Sounds like comments from a talk-piece who is trying to get people fired up (imagine that). I absolutely-positively guarantee that Jose DID NOT introduce weight-lifting to MLB as Cowherd says. That comment is not true.

Perhaps Pete Rose brought about more awareness of athletes and gambling. That is the very small bit of good that might come from a bad thing. Does not mean that the "instigator" of the bad thing deserves any sort of credit at all. NONE. BTW... did Jose make bucks on his tell-all book? Sounds like someone else who would only "come clean" if he'd make a buck doing it. Sad and pathetic human behavior. Not worthy of any award!
Hey, I guess great minds think alike :beerme:

Joseph
01-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Not to get too OT here, but I disagree. Yeah he's opinionated, but nowhere near the level of stupidity of a Jim Rome.

Just because he's not the worst doesn't mean he's not terrible.

TRF
01-17-2006, 10:18 AM

I did mention i was paraphrasing.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Canseco was a MAJOR factor in making steroids popular. Every team he's played on has an aura of suspicion floating around over them, and nearly every teammate he had has that same cloud. Giambi, Palmeiro, Mac. All their numbers tainted by suspicion.

But had he not written that book, we aren't having this discussion right now. Congress does not intervene, and MLB does not enact the toughest drug penalties in their history. Maybe some of this happens eventually, but certainly not now or in the forseeable future. Bud finally had some leverage against the toughest labor union in professional sports, but it took an Act of Congress and a book to get it.

traderumor
01-17-2006, 10:30 AM
I did mention i was paraphrasing.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Canseco was a MAJOR factor in making steroids popular. Every team he's played on has an aura of suspicion floating around over them, and nearly every teammate he had has that same cloud. Giambi, Palmeiro, Mac. All their numbers tainted by suspicion.

But had he not written that book, we aren't having this discussion right now. Congress does not intervene, and MLB does not enact the toughest drug penalties in their history. Maybe some of this happens eventually, but certainly not now or in the forseeable future. Bud finally had some leverage against the toughest labor union in professional sports, but it took an Act of Congress and a book to get it.
That still does not mean he should be rewarded. There is also the fact that if he didn't take the drugs in the first place, he would not be a part of this discussion. The only way I could seem him getting credit is if he had been a behind the scenes informant that received no benefit (other than the good feelings that come from doing the right thing without seeking personal benefit) from divulging the information.

TRF
01-17-2006, 10:36 AM
it's a thin line, but baseball is a strange sport. Gaylor Perry is in the Hall. He cheated. He wrote a book and profited from the sale of that book. But it's ok, because he doctored a ball, and not his body.

Had Canseco not done what he did, Amphetemines do not show up on the banned list. At least not for a while.

danforsman
01-17-2006, 10:53 AM
http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com/2006/01/12-minutes-of-hell-with-colin-cowherd.html

westofyou
01-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Okay... Jose single-handily introduced and eliminated steroids according to Cowherd.He also brought weightlifting to baseball... I'll let Honus Wagners ghost know that.

westofyou
01-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Phil Neikro is in the Hall. He cheated. He wrote a book and profited from the sale of that book. But it's ok, because he doctored a ball, and not his body.Gaylord Perry?

cumberlandreds
01-17-2006, 11:10 AM
it's a thin line, but baseball is a strange sport. Phil Neikro is in the Hall. He cheated. He wrote a book and profited from the sale of that book. But it's ok, because he doctored a ball, and not his body.

Had Canseco not done what he did, Amphetemines do not show up on the banned list. At least not for a while.

I think you mean Gaylord Perry? Niekro threw a knuckleball which is perfectly legal. Perry admitted he threw a spitball,not legal.

TRF
01-17-2006, 11:12 AM
yeah. having internet problems. I meant Perry. I even looked Perry up on Baseball Reference.

TRF
01-17-2006, 11:52 AM
http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com/2006/01/12-minutes-of-hell-with-colin-cowherd.html

I just finished reading this, and yes Cowherd is all over the map. And regardless of the reasoning behind his arguement, it still merit's discussion.

The biggest problem with the hall of fame besides the writers is there is no set criteria for getting in. It seems to be about offensive or pitching prowess, and with very rare exceptions, defensive prowess (Ozzie Smith). The problem with this is what happened to Bill Mazeroski, and what is happening to Concepcion. Their stats say defensively they were similar player, but Davey was a pioneer on astroturf, and offensively, Ozzie would have a lot of trouble measuring up.

Yet the fame portion of the equation comes into play. As does the ESPN portion. Is Ozzie Smith HOF better than Davey? Is he a little better? Are they equals? My position is they are close enough to being equals that if one is in, the other should be as well, and that Larkin dwarfs both of them. But Fame plays a role, and as much as anyone wants to ignore it, It keeps deserving guys out, and includes Kirby Puckett. Kirby freaking Puckett.

Danny Serafini
01-17-2006, 12:17 PM
He went on for a couple of days about Canseco around the time of the HOF announcement. I like Colin, he's pretty good, but once every few months he'll get on a kick that's so idiotic I have to turn the radio off because I can't stand it. His Canseco thing was one of those moments. He's so focused on the fame part that he'd much rather put in style over substance. I'd rather recognize excellence, not noise.

bucksfan
01-17-2006, 12:31 PM
I do not think Canseco merits consideration for the Hall. I can appreciate the POV that off-the-field contributions should weigh into the discussion if appropriate. But considering the whole picture, I do not think Canseco merits inclusion, as he also contibuted greatly to the steriods that everyone criticizes now. Plus he was great on the filed only for a brief time, albeit he did have a unique combo of skills (40/40, etc). IMO off-the-field contributions need to have been solely positive, and and resulting in a distinct advancement or improvement of the product - not just helping to rid the game of something that should not have been there in the first place (especially if you were doing that also!).

It was truly an interesting point for a minute, then Colin just went on and on with it and basically made me turn off my radio because of the babble. I am not one for most of the sports-talk guys however, as so many of them, either by personality or by job definition, seem to become completely overbearing and almost idiotic with every opinion they take, almost never allowing for the fact they could be wrong.

TRF
01-17-2006, 12:36 PM
To me a good comp is actually Kirby Puckett. Nothing Kirby did was dominant. But he was liked, and we feel bad about the glaucoma.

But he's in the HOF. And Canseco has better numbers and longevity.

So is it the defense? If so, why is it that Concepcion, who was far better offensively, and similar defensively, was a pioneer for how the position was played on astroturf, and is an icon for latin players at the position is not in, but Ozzie Smith is?

TRF
01-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Plus he was great on the filed only for a brief time, albeit he did have a unique combo of skills (40/40, etc).

17 years. Yes, a lot as a DH, but that shouldn't have bearing on his arguement to be excluded, unless you are opposed on principle to DH's getting enshrined.

Jpup
01-17-2006, 12:42 PM
After I heard him comment that Eddie Guerrerro's death is not worthy to be discussed, I refused to listen to him anymore.

TRF
01-17-2006, 12:48 PM
I hadn't heard that. Truly a dumb opinion.

redsfanmia
01-17-2006, 06:45 PM
I personally like Cowherd and think that some on this board dont like any hosts.

bucksfan
01-17-2006, 08:52 PM
I personally like Cowherd and think that some on this board dont like any hosts.

I openly said I don't care for many of the "radio personalities" that make a living giving their opinions on sports. Granted I have not heard them all, but most that I hear rub me the wrong way - maybe it's just the whole agressive, my-opinion-is-right mentality that I cannot get over. When someone can come off just generally making a good point without going over the top, yelling, or belittling others I do enjoy hearing other's opinions, even those to the contrary. But from the times I have heard CC, he does not fit that description. Granted, based on the first few times I heard him, I generally change the station if he's on now, so I may well miss some better moments.

KronoRed
01-17-2006, 08:59 PM
That's what gets people on the radio these days.

bucksfan
01-17-2006, 08:59 PM
17 years. Yes, a lot as a DH, but that shouldn't have bearing on his arguement to be excluded, unless you are opposed on principle to DH's getting enshrined.

I was really referring to the fact he only played in >131 games 5 times. I'll grant you that he put up good performance #'s about 5-6 of those years he play partial seasons, but IMO it is just not enough. I don't have a problem with a great hitting DH making the HOF. I just don't think Jose was it. A few more 1988's sprinkled in there though, and I'd reconsider. ;)

Jpup
01-18-2006, 07:40 AM

Not to hijack the thread but here is a transcript that I found with Cowherd after the death of Eddie. It's long, but this will explain why many can't listen to "The Herd."

On Tuesday, November 15, 2005 at 10:39 AM EST

Yesterday on "The Herd with Colin Cowherd" radio program on ESPN Radio, a segment in the show took place where the death of Eddie Guerrero was brought up. Soon after this took place, reports hit the internet that Cowherd made some disrespectful remarks about Guerrero and that his death wasn't "newsworthy" to the public.

The following is a transcript exclusive to WrestleView.com in which the comments were made by Cowherd on his program yesterday that is currently archived over on ESPNradio.com:

"The Herd with Colin Cowherd"
November 14, 2005

Part of show this takes place: 02:04:24

Colin Cowherd: Okay. I'm going to ask you a question. Compus (sp?) and I got into this argument earlier today. I did not know this. He is a big wrestling fan. I have no idea about wrestling. The last wrestling match I watched was my high school. It was dark and the only people there were girlfriends and family. It was high school wrestling and all the girls were dating the wrestlers.

A professional wrestler died over the weekend, Eddie Guerrero. I don't know anything about him. Apparently he is a big star. He was like 38 years old, died in his hotel room, nobody is quite sure why, blah blah blah, I don't care why. But I made the argument that there are certain careers, if I was the sports editor of a large major newspaper, I don't think I would put Eddie Guerrero's death in the sports page.

Now...you could say, whoa, that is insensitive. First of all, it's not sports, it is theatre. They are decided before they play. Now somebody argues with me, what about Hulk Hogan? I wouldn't put Hulk Hogan's death in the sports section. He transcends sports. He is a cultural phenomenon.

(Another host interjects - I believe his name was Chad)

Except for his wonderful movie career (in a joking manner).

(Back to Cowherd)

Yes, it was quite promising (makes another joke).

(Other host interjects again)

But it is news, where do you put it?

(Back to Cowherd)

Not everything death is news. For instance...

(Other hosts again interjects)

But five million people watch it.

(Cowherd)

Lets say a cessna (plane) goes down carrying Martha Stewart, it's news. If it goes down carrying Jim Lewis, it isn't news. It isn't making USA Today. We as a society decided that certain people's deaths get in the paper and certain people's deaths do not.

(Other hosts chimes in)

Just because you don't know who Eddie Guerrero is doesn't make him any less of a celebrity to other people. Now if a hockey player died, it would mean nothing to me. But that would obviously go in the sports page because he is a professional athlete of some sort. Eddie Guerrero is a big star. Five million people watch him.

(Cowherd)

He is not an athlete.

(Back to other host)

He is an athlete. He isn't a sports figure.

(Cowherd)

Again, why would I put him in the sports page?

(Other host)

Where would you put him?

(Cowherd)

I wouldn't put him anywhere in the newspaper.

(Other host)

You wouldn't put him in the newspaper?

(Cowherd)

No. I would put The Rock in because he has done movies. He is bigger than sports.

(Other host)

What about a TV actor? What if a soap opera star died?

(Cowherd)

He goes into the Entertainment/Life section.

(Other host)

Then why doesn't Eddie Guerrero go in? He is on TV. He is a TV star.

(Cowherd)

Oh...boy...that is wobbly. I've never even heard of him.

(Other host)

Again, what do we say all the time on this show? Don't assume everyone thinks the way you do.

(Cowherd)

Everybody clearly does, but go ahead.

(Both hosts laugh)

(Other host continues)

I instantly knew this guy and I would love to read more about it. So if you are a newspaper, you have an audience.

(Cowherd asks someone else in studio if he heard of Eddie Guerrero)

I thought it was Eddie Guardado, I told you this morning, Eddie Guardado, Mariners closer.

(Other host)

Eddie Guerrero dying is far more signifcant than Eddie Guardado dying.

(Cowherd)

Here is the problem. Sports fans know him, but it's not an athlete in sports. Entertainment people don't...sports fans who watch wrestling don't read the Entertainment section. So you are wasting space in the Entertainment section. I'm not...it's nothing against him, but we decided as a society, certain people get in the newspaper when they die. Here is a prime example. When I was doing my little show in Portland, and if I had gotten hit by a bread truck, I wouldn't make the USA Today. If I got hit by a bread truck today, and it's entirely possible in my neighborhood because bread trucks drive way too fast, but if I was run over today, I might get a little blip. It would be like a line. The Herd, obnoxious, not a very nice guy, got run over by a bread truck. Now lets continue on to more important news. But I'd probably make it, there would be a line in USA Today. So, I could die the same way, I could die in the same city, but becuase you are more renoun, it affects where it's going to be put. Now the Compus (sp?) was incredibly offended by this and I know what you are saying, Colin, it is wrestling. I know it's wrestling. I don't like wrestling. I don't ever watch wrestling. I vaguely know the Hulk wrestled, there is a guy named Jimmy Superfly Snuka when I was a kid, I liked him a lot. First of all, he invented the sleeper hold, don't let anyone tell you anything differently. I'm not into wrestling, but I'll make an argument right here. Toughest man who ever lived. Including Mike Ditka. Jimmy Superfly Snuka. Don't screw with me on that one. Alright Brian, you are the editor of a major newspaper, the New York whatever, where do you put the story?

(No response from a caller)

He is a wrestling fan and he can't even figure out the radio business. (Another caller comes on named Tim). Alright Tim, where would you put the story?

(Caller)

Way back. Bury it some where.

(Cowherd)

Sports or non-sports?

(Caller)

Non.

(Cowherd)

See. I'm the same way. It's not sports to me.

(Caller)

Yeah. Those guys are not athletes. 90% are probably juiced up and they just run around. Like you said it is theatre. It's not a sport.

(Other host in a sarcastic manner)

Because yeah, sports guys don't juice. Baseball guys don't do that.

(Cowherd laughs and adds)

God if that is the ruling, Sosa will never get on the sports page. George you are in The Herd, go ahead.

(Second caller)

Hey Colin, I actually work for a newspaper. I'm kinda in between on this one though.

(Cowherd)

So you work at a newspaper right?

(Caller)

Yeah.

(Cowherd)

Where did your newspaper put the death of Eddie Guerrero?

(Caller)

If there was space, it was put on or put some where else. Our obiutaries are paid obituaries. I don't even think there is space for Eddie.

(Cowherd)

Lemme say this. Why can't you do this? You know in the obituaries section where they have like Gert passed away, Palm Springs, 1984. And Hank passed away. Why couldn't you put Eddie Guerrero's picture in the obituaries with a big mask on. He would be like the wrestler, passed away doing steroids.

(Another caller, Cowherd asks him same question)

It depends. It ranks up there with Junkyard Dog's death. I think it would go in the Entertainment section. You struck a cord with me though. Jimmy Superfly Snuka was not tougher than the British Bulldog or JYD. I mean you wanna go old school wrestling, we can do that.

(Cowherd laughs and adds)

When it comes to pro wrestling, I'm old school.

(Caller)

Here is the thing. Our generation, and you kinda move past my generation as you move into your 60's (says jokingly), we grew up with wrestling. At some point, you passed out from a sleeper hold wrestling with a brother. Your brother put you in some hold you saw on TV. Somone has done a top rope move and then your parents came in to break it up. That is our generation. That is what we went through.

(Cowherd)

So you would put it in the Entertainment section?

(Caller)

Yeah, they are entertainers. It is a nitch entertainment business now. We all assumed it was fake and now we know that. But I agree with Chad, a lot more people watch this stuff than we give credit for. Plus, Chad is right, not everyone thinks like you. If we did, Monday Night Football would only last a quarter because you go to sleep.

(Another caller chimes in and says Guerrero's death doesn't belong in the newspaper at all since they don't post results for pro wrestling matches or WrestleMania. They then move on to the next segment)

Now that a transcript is out of what is said, it may shed some light as to just what Cowherd said. It is incredibly obvious from the start that Cowherd doesn't like pro wrestling and quite frankly doesn't care about the tragic death of Eddie Guerrero. We are aware of a petition making the rounds asking for the firing of Cowherd from ESPN Radio.

There have also been reports stating that ESPN was overwhelmed with negative feedback about the comments, so much so that other people from different departments were brought in to handle the large of phone calls coming in about the situation. Cowherd's show started 40 minutes ago on ESPN Radio and it remains to be seen if he will respond to the situation at hand.

Here is the statement that ESPN released regarding the comments per Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, which is the most respected wrestling publication in the US:

ESPN radio released a statement regarding Colin Cowherd: "While some comments attributed to Colin Cowherd were taken out of context and are inaccurate, we do apologize for a statement implying that Eddie Guerrero's death was steroid related."

RFS62
01-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Canseco belongs in the hall of fame.

The Dumbass Hall of Fame.

guttle11
01-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Jpup, what's that supposed to mean? It's his opinion. It's his show, and he can give his opinion. I'm the biggest wrestling fan on this board and was personally hit hard by Eddie's death, but Colin is entitled to feel how he feels.

I would rather listen to a guy who is passionate that I don't agree with than a by the book, "yes" man.

Colin is a humorus, great radio host. IMO of course.

Jpup
01-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Jpup, what's that supposed to mean? It's his opinion. It's his show, and he can give his opinion. I'm the biggest wrestling fan on this board and was personally hit hard by Eddie's death, but Colin is entitled to feel how he feels.

I would rather listen to a guy who is passionate that I don't agree with than a by the book, "yes" man.

Colin is a humorus, great radio host. IMO of course.

it means, he is an idiot.

Danny Serafini
01-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Well, then I'm an idiot too, because I totally agree with him. I don't doubt that it was a big deal to wrestling fans, but in the grand scheme of things it simply isn't a big enough story to most of the population. And it certainly isn't sports. Wrestling is a niche, and Eddie Guerrero simply didn't transcend it like Hulk Hogan or the Rock. Sorry wrestling fans, but the reality is it's not a newsworthy story to 98% of the population.

gm
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
I used to call him "College Football" Cowherd when he was in the PDX market, because that's all he ever talked about, even in the summer. I only listen to Colin from 7:25-7:35 AM, PST during his "Spanning the Globe" segment. Interviews with 4-5 "journalists" from other markets. I consider it time well spent

Joseph
01-18-2006, 07:20 PM
I used to call him "College Football" Cowherd when he was in the PDX market, because that's all he ever talked about, even in the summer. I only listen to Colin from 7:25-7:35 AM, PST during his "Spanning the Globe" segment. Interviews with 4-5 "journalists" from other markets. I consider it time well spent

He has the 'Daily Football Fix' even in the middle of the summer he finds some way to talk about football. I can't say I'm a fanof the segment but it's because I like baseball more of course.

Jpup
01-19-2006, 03:14 AM
Well, then I'm an idiot too, because I totally agree with him. I don't doubt that it was a big deal to wrestling fans, but in the grand scheme of things it simply isn't a big enough story to most of the population. And it certainly isn't sports. Wrestling is a niche, and Eddie Guerrero simply didn't transcend it like Hulk Hogan or the Rock. Sorry wrestling fans, but the reality is it's not a newsworthy story to 98% of the population.

niche? Millions of people watch wrestling every week. It's among the highest rated television programs every single week. You have a right to your opinion, but more than 2% of the population knows who he is. Wrestlers are deffinitely atheletes in every sense of the word. There nothing more atheletic than going 30 or 60 minutes with a live crowd breathing down your neck. I guess Kurt Angle isn't an athelete?

Eddie was/is more popular than Colin Cowherd will ever be. He's a poor excuse for a Jim Rome wannabe.

RedFanAlways1966
01-19-2006, 07:59 AM
I am in no way a fan of "pro wrestling". I do not depise it either. I sometimes will check in on it while channel-surfing and there is nothing good on those 100+ channels that I pay dearly for each month. I probably see 15-20 minutes of wrestling a month (if that). I knew who Eddie Guerrero was.

Is it a sport? Does Eddie deserve mention in the sports section? I say "no" to both questions. It is definitely entertainment and not a sport. A sport to me is when both sides in the game are trying to win... we all know that this is not the case in wrestling. Does Eddie deserve any mention when he passed away? Sure. He is an entertainer that millions know. I'd put the story on page 2 of the front-page section... where most "entertainers in their everyday life/death" stories are found.

BTW... I wonder how many pro wrestlers have died a premature death in the last 10-15 years? Is there any real sport that rivals the number of premature dead wrestlers? Sad. Almost seems as though some of these guys are making a pact w/ the devil to become known in the world of pro wrestling.

TRF
01-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Wrestling has replaced the circus. In fact, I equate wrestling performers to circus stars. Nobody thinks the lion will beat the lion tamer, but we gasp just the same.

I know wrestlers die. I know a lot of their health problems are because what they do is not regulated. Steroid use was and is rampant in the industry. Eddie's death bothered me for quite a while. We are the same age, and I was looking forward to the program he was working with Batista. He was the kind of performer that could make you love him or hate him with a look. He could have easily made the transition to actor. He was a natural.

So on this, Cowherd is wrong.

The 5-6 years Canseco was at the top of his game, he was elite. He was the first 40-40 guy. His impact rippled through all of baseball. Because he was in 3 straight WS, he was on the national stage showing his physique to the world. It's no coincidence players stopped looking like John Kruk, and started looking like Jose. And not all of them were aided chemically. Some got it naturally. Take Reggie Sanders. Dude is ripped. Never a sniff or hint that he's ever been involved in steroids. WMP is a monster. Guys are working out more, and Canseco is a big part of why.

westofyou
01-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Guys are working out more, and Canseco is a big part of why.But Cal Ripken is probably even a bigger and better role model for the result of the workout.

But a deltoid and a bicep.
A hot groin and a tricep.
Makes me, oooh, shake,
Makes me want to take Charles Atlas by the ...ha-ha-hand.

guttle11
01-19-2006, 02:41 PM

There are only about 5 wrestlers that would make headline news.

Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Vince McMahon himself, or Ric Flair.

Everyone else is only known to wrestling fans mainly.

TRF
01-19-2006, 05:54 PM
There are only about 5 wrestlers that would make headline news.

Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Vince McMahon himself, or Ric Flair.

Everyone else is only known to wrestling fans mainly.

Not if you live in the southwest. Then add Terry Funk, Eddie, and even Rey-Rey.