PDA

View Full Version : Dunn not named on USA roster...as of now

TOBTTReds
01-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Marc Lancaster Blog:

Where's Adam?
The intial Team USA roster for the World Baseball Classic is out, and Ken Griffey Jr. is among the six outfielders listed. Missing? Adam Dunn. Not sure what the deal is there, as I've thought all along Dunn had a better chance of really playing in this thing than Junior. There is still time for Dunn to be added, though. The deadline isn't until tomorrow, and Team USA named just 42 of the maximum false

Unassisted
01-17-2006, 03:27 PM
I could have sworn I posted in another thread on this topic this morning, but it's gone now. :confused:

TOBTTReds
01-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Don't worry, I got your back

KronoRed
01-17-2006, 09:05 PM
I could have sworn I posted in another thread on this topic this morning, but it's gone now. :confused:
Board is eating posts again..told it not to go off its diet.

RedsManRick
01-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Just heard them announce the 10 additional names... Dunn is NOT among them. Among new outfielders are Randy Winn, Matt Holiday, Jeff Francouer, and Luis Gonzalez. My guess is that Dunner turned them down, because obviously it's not a question of talent.

TeamBoone
01-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Maybe he'll play first base rather than the outfield?

Why would he turn them down when he already announced that he wanted to do it?

RedsManRick
01-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Nope -- he's not on the roster at all. ARod, Chavez, and Craig Counsell were added in the IF. No Dunn. Go figure.

MartyFan
01-18-2006, 12:37 AM
Perhaps he was left off the roster because he is switching positions? He is not proven at 1B yet...maybe that is why they left him off.

Jpup
01-18-2006, 06:32 AM
Maybe the Reds told him no. could be? who knows? let's hope that this is by Adam's choosing and not by someone elses or for some other reason. I'm sure Lancaster will dig something up soon.

remdog
01-18-2006, 07:59 AM
This might just be good news for the Reds. First of all, if AD is going to switch to first base he needs to spend ST gettings reps at the position.

Secondly, if Dunn was, in fact, passed over maybe it'll be the burr under his saddle that'll ignite a huge season for him.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the World Baseball games. I'm only interested in seeing the Reds put their most competitive team on the field.

Rem

RFS62
01-18-2006, 08:03 AM
I can't see them passing on him if he was willing to play. My guess is that he declined. I understand they had to advise the team if they were willing to play weeks ago before the selection process began.

And wouldn't it be great if he turned it down so he could work hard on getting better at first base?

He could raise his stock considerably if he took that attitude.

MattyHo4Life
01-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Maybe the Reds told him no. could be? who knows? let's hope that this is by Adam's choosing and not by someone elses or for some other reason. I'm sure Lancaster will dig something up soon.

The Reds aren't allowed to tell him no. They aren't even allowed to discourage him or any player from playing. The Cardinals had 5 players invited, but only two accepted. The players deckined themselves. The Cardinals were happy about it, but it was totally up to the players... not the Cardinals.

Jpup
01-18-2006, 08:11 AM
The Reds aren't allowed to tell him no. They aren't even allowed to discourage him or any player from playing. The Cardinals had 5 players invited, but only two accepted. The players deckined themselves. The Cardinals were happy about it, but it was totally up to the players... not the Cardinals.

You are mistaken. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2255872

Jorge Posada was ready to play for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic. Unfortunately for Posada, the New York Yankees had other ideas.

The Yankees blocked Posada from participating, telling Major League Baseball that Posada was indispensable and was concerned the heavy workload he incurs during the season would be added to and might cause injury, The New York Post reported.

"As a courtesy I called the Yankees to advise them that Jorge wanted to participate in the World Baseball Classic," agent Seth Levinson told the paper. "The Yankees filed an objection that was accepted and Jorge was not eligible despite his desire to play."

Posada felt an urge to represent Puerto Rico in the tournament, wanting to make his family proud.

"I wanted to play since my family is from Puerto Rico, it's where I am from and I was excited," Posada told The Post. "I was the first one to ask for the documents. I can't do anything about it. The Yankees have the last word. I respect that and I will prepare for spring training like I always do."

Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano are expected to play in the WBC. Hideki Matsui will likely be added to the Japan roster as well.

TeamBoone
01-18-2006, 10:18 AM
He certainly sounded excited about it when he first decided to play.

I too hope he decided against it because of changing positions. But I hope the Reds did not make the decision for him. That could make him think twice about that long-term contract... that is, if he really really wanted to participate.

Unassisted
01-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Since the other thread is AWOL, I'll repost and expand upon what I posted yesterday.

I would prefer to see Reds players continue with their offseason regimen rather than play in this tournament.

This thing starts on March 12 and the NCAA basketball tourney starts March 14. It's foolish for MLB to compete with March Madness for US fans' attention and ad dollars. Maybe Bud will learn his lesson when he sees the TV ratings.

RedsManRick
01-18-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm guessing the Reds went to him and said "We need you with us during ST so you can get used to 1b, work with our IF instructors, and get used to working with our IFs." He may have still had the choice and decided to put his team and his job ahead of the off-chance of actually making the USA squad.

TeamBoone
01-18-2006, 03:56 PM
This thing starts on March 12 and the NCAA basketball tourney starts March 14. It's foolish for MLB to compete with March Madness for US fans' attention and ad dollars. Maybe Bud will learn his lesson when he sees the TV ratings.

I totally agree.

The timing of this has been iffy from the beginning.

Besides the NCAA being firmly established in March, I don't think most of the teams like it because it essentially screws up their ST big time.

Why not do it in February? Granted, in the US it would mean playing in a sourthern park, but from what I understand, that's what's being done anyway. Even then, it would take a couples weeks away from the participating pitchers and catchers. Plus, this year, there's the winter olympics.

There really isn't a good time. I don't see any upside to this. Except for die-hard baseball fans (like us), who will be watching?

MattyHo4Life
01-18-2006, 04:02 PM
You are mistaken. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2255872

The Yankees asked MLB not to let him play, and had to give a reason. That's different than telling players that they don't want them participating.

MattyHo4Life
01-18-2006, 04:06 PM
There really isn't a good time. I don't see any upside to this. Except for die-hard baseball fans (like us), who will be watching?

I don't like this either. I'm really glad that Capenter, Mulder, and Izzy declined their invites. It's unnecessary play that could result in injuries. Especially to pitchers who aren't used to real competition at that point in the season. Spring Training games aren't real competition. I actually wish Pujols wasn't going, because the regular season games are too important to risk an injury during these exhibition games.

KronoRed
01-18-2006, 10:11 PM
I think this is going to be a failure, not only in ratings but players who are in MLB are going to mail it in as not to risk injury.

RFS62
01-18-2006, 10:34 PM
I thought it was a dumb idea at first, but I'm warming up to it.

Can you imagine the Dominican Republic lineup with Manny, Ortiz, Tejada, and Pujols?

Cedric
01-18-2006, 10:53 PM
I think it's a great idea if done right.

Cyclone792
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
It's something different, and it's also something I'll at least check out once they fire it up. Whether or not the idea pans out and is successful, who knows. But like Cedric says, if it's actually done right it has the potential to a great, fresh and unique idea.

We'll see, I guess.

Jpup
01-19-2006, 03:10 AM
The Yankees asked MLB not to let him play, and had to give a reason. That's different than telling players that they don't want them participating.

what are you talking about? i've hearding not admitting when you are wrong, but sheesh. :confused:

creek14
01-19-2006, 06:45 AM
No matter when they scheduled this, it would probably be a failure. It's going to appeal to the hard core fan and hardly anyone else. I asked some guys at work if they would watch and they hadn't even heard/read about it.

Hey I'm hardcore and I really have no interest. Less at stake than even the All Star :sleep: game. I see it as just a great opportunity for injuries - more so than ST since it's real games from the start. No easy practice then fish or go to the beach days.

MattyHo4Life
01-19-2006, 09:25 AM
what are you talking about? i've hearding not admitting when you are wrong, but sheesh. :confused:

Wrong about what? The Commissioners Office does not want teams to discourage players from participating. That's a totally different thing than them asking the Commisioners office not to let the player compete.

For example, the Cardinals did not want Izzy to compete, but he had planned on it. They couldn't say anything to him, but aftewards were happy with his decision. I think the Cardinals would have had every right to ask him not to participate due to his injury history, but they played by the rules.

Actually, the article that you posted helps prove my point. The Yankees had to go to MLB to keep him out of the games. They could have went directly to the player, but they aren't supposed to dicourage a player from participating.

TeamBoone
01-25-2006, 11:38 AM
I just found this hidden on Dunn's page on MLB....

Jan. 19
News: Dunn withdrew his name from consideration from the World Baseball Classic, so that he could concentrate on playing first base in spring training, the Cincinnati Post reports.

creek14
01-25-2006, 03:34 PM
I just found this hidden on Dunn's page on MLB....

Jan. 19
News: Dunn withdrew his name from consideration from the World Baseball Classic, so that he could concentrate on playing first base in spring training, the Cincinnati Post reports.

I thought that was common knowledge, Marc reported it about a week ago.

Dunn skipping Classic
Needs work at 1st base

By Marc Lancaster
Post staff reporter

Buck Martinez is a man with few complaints these days.

As manager of the United States team in the inaugural World Baseball Classic, Martinez will have a remarkable collection of talent as his disposal when play begins in March. From Barry Bonds to Roger Clemens, just about anyone he might want will be in the mix.

With that said, Martinez admitted Wednesday that he had hoped to have two Reds outfielders on the provisional roster that was finalized Tuesday, but he came up one short. Ken Griffey Jr. will play, possibly starting in center field for the U.S. team, but Adam Dunn will not.

The young Reds slugger agreed last fall to put his name in the pool for the U.S. team, but that was before Sean Casey was traded to Pittsburgh and Dunn was asked to move from left field to first base. With the position switch looming in spring training and plenty of talent already lined up for the U.S. team, Dunn passed along word to team officials that he'd rather concentrate on his Reds duties.

"Obviously he's a guy that brings a lot to the table with what he does," Martinez said. "I just think that the way the roster shook out and the fact that he's probably going to have a position change and play first base (for the Reds), he probably felt there wasn't going to be an opportunity for him. I think that was the biggest reason."

Dunn concurred with that assessment in an interview later Wednesday.

"Because I'm going to try switching positions," he said, "I figured it'd probably be a lot better if I worked at first than to go out there and I guess they wanted me to play in the outfield."

That was indeed the plan for the U.S. team, which already has the Cubs' Derrek Lee and Mark Teixeira of the Rangers penciled in at first base. Of course, there's plenty of talent in the outfield, too. In addition to Griffey, the U.S. outfield should include Johnny Damon, Lance Berkman, Luis Gonzalez and Vernon Wells, among others. Bonds probably will serve as the designated hitter.

Martinez said he has talked to Damon about playing left field and the newly minted New York Yankee was fine with that idea. Griffey could very well start in center field for the U.S. team, though Wells and Randy Winn also are available.

Whatever role Griffey ends up playing, Martinez sounded ecstatic to have the veteran in the fold.

"This is something that's a little curious to me, is that Junior hasn't gotten a lot of play in all of this, but he's a pretty darn good player and we're thrilled to have him on this roster," said Martinez. "He was the best player in the '90s and I'm thrilled to see him healthy again. I saw some joy in his face last year, and hopefully he can start off this year with the same kind of enthusiasm and health. He brings a lot to this."

Though Griffey will be on the only Reds representative on the U.S. team, he'll have company from Cincinnati sprinkled around various rosters in the tournament.

Seven other players in the Reds' system were named to provisional rosters filed Tuesday: Felipe Lopez and Javier Valentin (Puerto Rico), Wily Mo Pena (Dominican Republic), Jung Keun Bong (Korea), Frank Menechino (Italy), Joey Votto (Canada) and Yoni Lasso (Panama).

That doesn't guarantee they'll make the final 30-man rosters for the Classic, but they wouldn't have been eligible to participate if not on the provisional roster.

TeamBoone
01-25-2006, 06:37 PM
I had never seen that article. The last I knew, people were asking the question in this thread.

I'm surprised it wasn't posted here.

Joseph
01-25-2006, 06:44 PM
I hadn't heard this either, thanks for the update.

zombie-a-go-go
01-26-2006, 06:35 AM
Who the hell is Yoni Lasso?