PDA

View Full Version : For what it's worth... Jr/Arroyo

RedsManRick
01-19-2006, 01:35 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/01/griffey_to_bost.html

I'm guessing this is one of those standard grapevine type rumors. One shock jock brings it up, some junior reporter hears it and runs with it and suddenly it's a hot topic. We'll see.

flyer85
01-19-2006, 01:40 PM
they summed it up pretty well. Seems like a stupid trade for the Sox(not the Arroyo is anything special) but it is still a huge risk to count on more than 100 games from Jr.

Krusty
01-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Other than Tampa Bay's Joey Gathright, I don't see a centerfielder that would be available for the Red Sox in a trade.

lollipopcurve
01-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Other than Tampa Bay's Joey Gathright, I don't see a centerfielder that would be available for the Red Sox in a trade.

Ryan Freel?

Krusty
01-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Ryan Freel?

Now if the Red Sox did offer 3rd baseman Andy Marte to Tampa Bay for shortstop Julio Lugo, that would solve their shortstop position and the leadoff spot.

Junior for Arroyo? Tough one there especially when Junior has 10-5 rights. But you have to wonder if new ownership wants to unload Junior especially if they are aiming turning things around.

TRF
01-19-2006, 02:33 PM
No way does this deal happen, and for Freel I want Clement not Arroyo. The Reds need someone that can miss bats and Clement is that kind of pitcher. If the Reds take all of his salary, Freel for Clement is a fair trade. Throw in Calvin Medlock if you have to.

M2
01-19-2006, 03:15 PM
The Sox might be getting desperate. Jr. might be worth more a lot more to them today than he would have been a month ago.

There's still 37.5 million reasons to move Jr. At the very least I'd have my ears open.

PuffyPig
01-19-2006, 03:30 PM
As much as we love Griffey, if the Reds are ever to improve, giving Griffey away to anyone who would take his contract would be a good move. Getting a viable option like Arroyo would be icing on the cake.

redsfanmia
01-19-2006, 04:48 PM
No way does this deal happen, and for Freel I want Clement not Arroyo. The Reds need someone that can miss bats and Clement is that kind of pitcher. If the Reds take all of his salary, Freel for Clement is a fair trade. Throw in Calvin Medlock if you have to.
Are you serious?

Reds1
01-19-2006, 05:15 PM
another good point was that BoSox don't need Griffey to put people in the seats. The deal might make more sense if it was a place that needed to increase ticket sales as Griffey goes for the next century mark in HRs.

traderumor
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
No way would a smart team take on the rest of that contract for a guy with a hamstring screwed to a bone who has not played a game since ending another season with an injury. Early season deal, maybe, but I'll be very, very surprised to see someone desperate enough to take on Griffey until he plays on those glass legs of his again.

TRF
01-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Are you serious?

Yup Freel and Medlock for Clement is a good trade for both teams. Freel becomes Brady Clark for the Red Sox, and Medlock adds to their minor league depth at pitching, where they are a little thin. Not Cincinnati Reds thin, but thin. Plus I think they soured on Clement a little after his second half performance. Look at the numbers for both Freel and Clement. It's a good fit.

KronoRed
01-19-2006, 10:35 PM
They might do such a deal if they want to unload Clement as much as the rumors say.

Krusty
01-20-2006, 01:39 AM
Latest rumor involved a three-way deal involving the Red Sox, Tribe and Braves.

Red Sox would trade 3rd baseman Andy Marte to the Tribe for OF Cocoa Crisp. Tribe would trade a pitcher (David Riske?) to the Braves for OF Ryan Langerhans, who would replace Crisp in LF.