PDA

View Full Version : Quasi-Game Thread - 1/20/06 - Ownership Change

Pages : [1] 2

Heath
01-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Why am I getting an early start on this?

Well - I figured this article from Hal McCoy might be a starting spot of a recap of the OLD ownership - might has well start a P/C thread on top of it..

COMMENTARY

Hal McCoy: Tenure with Reds will taint Lindner's legacy

As a Cincinnati philanthropist, Carl Lindner earns an "A" for awesome. His wallet prints are all over the city.

As an owner and CEO of the Cincinnati Reds, Lindner earns an "F" for flop. His wallet was not much of a factor in the fortunes of the moribund Reds over the past few seasons.

His most famous quote and there are very few from the man who was a baseball recluse as far as the media is concerned said it all and it was uttered shortly after he became majority owner and CEO: "I don't want to make money, but I don't want to lose money, either."

He certainly earned money during his tenure as lead chair for the Reds. His sale of the Reds for $270 million assured that.

But as a man whose business is worth $22 billion, he missed a chance to insure himself a legacy in Cincinnati. He'll be remembered as a philanthropist, but he could have become a Cincinnati icon by loosening some of his fortune into turning out Big Red Machine II. Instead, his teams were more like The Little Red Radio Flyers.

He leaves the CEO's chair with five straight losing seasons and no championship rings.

It seems a bit strange that a man who built a $22 billion empire by investing money didn't realize that to make money in baseball, and to build a winner, one must spend money.

So did he leave any imprint on Cincinnati baseball?

If he has a legacy, it is Ken Griffey Jr. He gave approval to then-general manager Jim Bowden to trade with Seattle for Griffey and to give the megastar outfielder a 10-year, $116.5 million contract.

That occurred in February 2000 and Lindner attended the press conference in the Crosley Room of old Riverfront Stadium. It was the only press conference involving the Reds he ever attended.

He attended some home games, sitting with his wife several rows up behind home plate, but never was spotted at a road game.

His other appearance in the limelight was when former shortstop Barry Larkin was about to become a free agent. Bowden traded Larkin to the New York Mets, but Larkin used his no-trade power to squash the deal.

Lindner immediately stepped in and signed Larkin to a three-year, $27 million contract, a move that infuriated Bowden and other members of the front office.

Lindner's reason: "Barry Larkin is my grandson's favorite player."

When the three-year contract expired, the Reds were ready to let Larkin go. He talked about retirement and the Reds planned a day for him. Larkin called off the ceremonies and Lindner stepped up with another one-year contract.

One thing the Reds seldom did under Lindner's watch was pay large sums for free agents. Unfortunately for him, when he did allow general manager Dan O'Brien to invest $22.5 million over three years in left-handed pitcher Eric Milton it was a fiasco, with a capital 'F.'

It exploded in his face when Milton's first season with the Reds last year was an 8-15 bust. He had a 6.47 earned-run average the worst in club history for a starter with more than 30 starts and gave up 40 home runs in 186 1/3 innings.

Milton has two years remaining on the contract to make amends, but the Reds were not players on the big-name pitchers free-agent market this year. Instead they traded popular first baseman Sean Casey and his $8 million salary to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Dave Williams, a left-handed pitcher with injury issues and a career losing major-league record.

Lindner was the boss when the team moved into new Great American Ball Park in 2003. Fans were told that a new stadium and expected attendance surges would turn the team into a winner. Instead, the team got worse and the fans didn't forget the promise. When Lindner was introduced on the field on Opening Day 2004 he was booed.

Lindner's problem was that he purchased the team to make certain it was owned locally, that it wouldn't be sold to outsiders. It was a civic pride move, not one to build a winning team.

He sold most of his shares to Robert Castellini because he is a friend and he is part of Cincinnati. Reds fans hope they won't see more of the same, that Castellini is committed to winning and fans won't be force-fed mouthwash.

As they say over at Timex, or in the case of baseball players, over at Rolex, only time will tell.

Press Conference can be heard on WLW - online at www.700wlw.com

Starting lineups probably would be the following:

Robert Castellini - New Owner
The Williamses - New Owners
Carl Lindner - Old CEO
John Allen - COO
Dan O'Brien - GM :rolleyes:
Jerry Narron - Manager

Enjoy.

KronoRed
01-20-2006, 11:00 AM
This lineup sucks

:D

TStuck
01-20-2006, 11:07 AM
But they are a scrappy group with lot's of veteran leadership.

BTW - Watch out. Don't step in the leadership!

Ravenlord
01-20-2006, 11:10 AM
One thing the Reds seldom did under Lindner's watch was pay large sums for free agents. Unfortunately for him, when he did allow general manager Dan O'Brien to invest $22.5 million over three years in left-handed pitcher Eric Milton it was a fiasco, with a capital 'F.'
correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Hal call this a great signing at the time?

Chip R
01-20-2006, 11:11 AM
This lineup sucks

:D

Another Sunday Special. ;)

top6
01-20-2006, 11:14 AM
I am not the biggest Lindner fan, but I think that article is really unfair. They claim the Reds didn't sign free agents during his tenure - yet they signed Griffey to what at the time was the largest contract in baseball history (even though it was below market value). He signed Larkin to a huge deal. He signed Milton to a huge deal.

The bottom line is that by signing Griffey to the deal they did, the Reds tied their fortunes to him. Alas, lady luck opted to deal him a string of horrific injuries. If Griffey had been healthy the last 5 years, and producing like Griffey can, the Reds would be in a very different situation. He would be chasing 700 home runs this year or next year - and after the Bonds steroid accusations he would be the absolute darling of the baseball world. Griffey would be an institution - and a money making machine. The Reds would be, at the very least, a very fun team to watch - and no doubt more competitive, if not World Champions.

That was the vision that I'm sure Bowden sold Lindner on. And I can't blame Lindner for taking the chance - and neither should anyone on this board. We ALL supported the Griffey signing.

Once Griffey tanked (again, through now fault of his own), I think it would have taken a miracle to turn this team around. Blame Lindner for allowing the hiring of incompetent O'Brien, sure. But I think he took a major gamble early on in his tenure as owner. He lost, but I think it was a gamble we all would have made at the time.

Chip R
01-20-2006, 11:23 AM
correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Hal call this a great signing at the time?

Hey, sportswriters reserve the right to change their minds even if it contradicts with what they wrote earlier.

westofyou
01-20-2006, 11:46 AM
correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Hal call this a great signing at the time?http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/lind12.shtml

Reds' multi-millionaire owner driving force behind Griffey deal

Saturday, February 12, 2000

By HAL McCOY
COX NEWS SERVICE

CINCINNATI -- One of Carl Lindner Jr.'s three private jets picked up Ken Griffey Jr., and his family in Orlando Thursday and whisked them to Lunken Airport, where Lindner's Rolls-Royce Bentley provided ostentatious transportation to Cinergy Field.

It was trappings fit for royalty, of which Griffey certainly is to Cincinnati Reds baseball.

For the next nine years, Griffey is the visible symbol of baseball in Cincinnati, but the man behind the scenes for now is the 80-year-old Lindner, the club's chief executive officer and the man who signed off on signing the checks that will provide Griffey with $112.5 million over the next 25 years.

Does Griffey's arrival signal an open-wallet policy for the Reds? Well, probably not a wide-open New York Yankees-style policy, but Lindner's wallet is fat enough that he doesn't have to open very wide.

He has told chief operating office John Allen and general manager Jim Bowden, "I don't want to make money, I'd just like to break even."

Forbes lists Lindner's personal wealth at more than $800 million and includes him among the richest 400 persons in the United States. His wealth comes from controlling interest in Chiquita bananas, controlling the majority stock in Amtrak, United Dairy Farmers, Thriftway groceries and he is chairman of American Financial and American Annuity Group.

And for the most part, he is a wisp, preferring to stand in the shadows, ignoring publicity and recognition. He won't be on the field with his pet dog before games, as was the preference of his predecessor, Marge Schott. And he won't keep an office at the stadium, as Schott did. He comes to games, but slips in unnoticed and sits in his private box.

He is a man of few words, three- and four-word sentences, but a man of fast action.

Lindner, a life-long Cincinnatian, loves the city and loves the Reds. When it looked as if even $112.5 million might be too much for the Reds' budget, Lindner gave a quick nod of approval.

Even Allen had been dubious just a few days ago about bringing home the prodigal son, who so wanted to return.

Acquiring Griffey is the biggest exchange of a superstar via trade since the St. Louis Cardinals obtained Mark McGwire from Oakland. The Cardinals estimate his presence has been worth 600,000 additional fans a season at home and they drew 3.22 million fans last year, even though they won only 75 games and finished fourth in the National League Central, 21 games behind division-winner Houston and 20 games behind second-place Cincinnati.

Lindner attended Thursday's press conference and read from a prepared statement in his low, measured voice.

"This is truly an exciting day for Cincinnati and the fans who have grown up rooting for the oldest team in baseball," he said. "I love this city. It is where I grew up, raised my family, built our businesses and brought in new businesses from other cities. I've always tried to give back some of my good fortune and do what's best for our city. One of the highlights of my career is what we've accomplished today . . . bringing Ken back to Cincinnati for the rest of his career.

"In these times, where big markets and big money seem to steal the stars, it speaks so much of Ken's character that he has chosen instead to come back where he belongs. The future of the Reds, with Ken and the new stadium, can't be more exciting."

Lindner couldn't have left a better legacy to fans of the Cincinnati Reds.

lollipopcurve
01-20-2006, 11:49 AM
I think people underestimate the difficulty this franchise faced in overcoming the Schott years.

Strikes Out Looking
01-20-2006, 11:53 AM
All this franchise needs is pitching. I know it is hard to come by, but three starting pitchers tossing 200 innings with sub 4 eras would have the team in post-season contention and our many complaints would decline.

Johnny Footstool
01-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Lindner was extremely generous with the Larkin and Griffey contracts. Then when Bowden started negotiating deals for expensive pitchers like Bartolo Colon and Brad Penny, the purse strings suddenly tightened. Granted, Lindner didn't want to sign big deals while there was a threat of a strike, but spending extra money to bring in high-caliber starting pitching would have kept the Reds from having 5 straight losing seasons. If nothing else, the Reds would have had some marketable pitching to trade and restock the minors.

Reds4Life
01-20-2006, 12:39 PM
About 3 hours and 20 minutes to go until disappointment.............errrrr...........I mean the press conference.

cumberlandreds
01-20-2006, 02:05 PM
I think people underestimate the difficulty this franchise faced in overcoming the Schott years.

I agree with you. Schott started the destruction of the farm system but Lindner didn't do anything to build it back. So he has to take a huge amount of the blame for the shape this franchise is in.

Unassisted
01-20-2006, 02:11 PM
For the benefit of those who still have hope of something substantial coming out of the presser... WCPO-TV will be streaming the event live. Details at http://www.wcpo.com/news/2006/local/01/20/reds.html

I will not be tuning in. ;)

Heath
01-20-2006, 02:25 PM
The letter has been written:

From the new owners via the Enquirer......

New Reds owners make vow to fans

The new Reds owners are pledging to “bring championship baseball back to Cincinnati.”

In a letter to Reds fans, Robert Castellini and his partners vow to “build one of the most respected organizations” in baseball and “rekindle the RedsNation spirit.”

The letter, obtained by The Enquirer, represents the first public comments from Castellini and new partners W. Joseph Williams Jr. and Thomas Williams since the sale of the team from Carl Lindner was announced in November. Baseball owners approved the sale Thursday.

The new owners will hold a news conference at 4 p.m. today at Great American Ball Park.

Here is the text of their letter:

"Dear Cincinnati Reds Fans,

"We are proud to be the new owners of America’s first professional baseball team, the Cincinnati Reds.

"We’re long-time baseball fans who have grown up with the Reds and have fond memories of going to the ballpark. In our lifetime, we faithfully cheered on the Reds through three World Series championships, six National League championships and eight division titles.

"We know this team truly belongs to you, and we understand what the Reds mean to our city and our region. We know what a winning team can do for a city’s pride. We also understand the unique legacy the Reds hold in baseball history and the potential to reignite an American love affair with the nation’s first professional baseball team.

"It is with a sense of both responsibility and respect that we pledge to Reds fans:

• " We will bring championship baseball to Cincinnati. The Reds have a long tradition of success. Only three teams have won more World Series than the Reds. We will work hard to be a championship team again.

• "We will build one of the most respected organizations in baseball. As partners in other successful baseball organizations we know how it’s done. We will build a winning management team by putting the right people in the right positions with the right resources to win. We will foster a winning attitude and culture.

• "We will have a greater community presence. We will continue to improve the lives of area children by building on already successful Reds Community Fund programs like the Rookie Success League. Whether it’s providing a way for inner-city children to play baseball or generating funds for charity, we’ll take this outreach to a new level.

• "We will rekindle the Reds Nation spirit. We'll share our story and our strategy, communicating directly with fans everywhere who want to know what is going on. When you visit the ballpark, we’ll periodically be asking for your feedback so we can continuously improve the experience. Our goal is that you feel a part of the Reds Nation whether you’re at the game, listening on the radio or living in another major league city.

• "We will not rest until you are happy. The Reds are, after all, your team. You buy the tickets. You watch the games. You support us financially and emotionally. Without you, the Reds cannot be great. We know you won’t be happy until the team wins. We won’t be happy either.

"Bringing championship baseball to Cincinnati is the ultimate goal. Like you we believe in the power, potential and magic of the Cincinnati Reds. We will work tirelessly to bring a winner home to you.

"We thank you for this opportunity and hope to earn your support."

To quote Linda Richman - Discuss amongst yourselves.

Reds4Life
01-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Not much to discuss. We've seen enough talk, time for some action. If they want to earn my support they can start by getting rid of DanO and John Allen.

vaticanplum
01-20-2006, 02:30 PM
RedsNation?! REDSNATION?!?!??

Chip R
01-20-2006, 02:30 PM

Actions speak louder than words.

westofyou
01-20-2006, 02:36 PM
But louder than 461 words? :p:

creek14
01-20-2006, 02:37 PM
What Chippie said.

Cyclone792
01-20-2006, 02:40 PM

Last I checked, Paul DePodesta was available.

After canning Allen and O'Brien, hiring DePo wouldn't be a bad place to continue ...

Jpup
01-20-2006, 02:45 PM
it sounds like some heads are going to roll.:)

if someone could make a transcript of the presser, I would appreciate it. I have to work, and I will not be able to catch any of it.

M2
01-20-2006, 02:50 PM
it sounds like some heads are going to roll.:)

"We will build a winning management team by putting the right people in the right positions with the right resources to win."

Certainly that might make a person think so, but I've learned that one should never believe anything in a press release. American business learned the lessons of Vietnam -- namely that you can't kill an enemy you can't find. This could just be camouflage.

Jpup
01-20-2006, 02:52 PM
"We will build a winning management team by putting the right people in the right positions with the right resources to win."

Certainly that might make a person think so, but I've learned that one should never believe anything in a press release. American business learned the lessons of Vietnam -- namely that you can't kill an enemy you can't find. This could just be camouflage.

that was the exact quote I was referring to and it does lead me to believe that change is on the way. they are admitting that they do no have the right people in place to win. that's a start.

savafan
01-20-2006, 02:56 PM
If what I'm hearing is true, and I can't guarantee that it is, but if it is, we may be looking at a very exciting 2006 Cincinnati Reds baseball season. I'm sorry, I can't say much more than that at this time.

Falls City Beer
01-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Anybody care to do a side-by-side of the conference/press release upon Carl's ascendancy as compared to this presser? The words might line up exactly on the page.

savafan
01-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Will the press conference be on FoxSportsNet, ESPN or the local news?

Reds4Life
01-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Anybody care to do a side-by-side of the conference/press release upon Carl's ascendancy as compared to this presser? The words might line up exactly on the page.

Carl never did a press conference, not sure about a release. The only press conference Lindner ever attended during his tenure with the Reds was the Griffey announcement.

M2
01-20-2006, 02:59 PM
that was the exact quote I was referring to and it does lead me to believe that change is on the way. they are admitting that they do no have the right people in place to win. that's a start.

I still warn against taking the literal meaning of the words on a press release to heart.

westofyou
01-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Carl took over after the 1999 season, there was no need to sell the same program this ownership group has to sell.

Falls City Beer
01-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Carl took over after the 1999 season, there was no need to sell the same program this ownership group has to sell.

But surely there was a press release, something official to mark the exchange? I don't know--just guessing. My only point: these things are fripperies, farts in the wind.

RedsManRick
01-20-2006, 03:05 PM
I am not the biggest Lindner fan, but I think that article is really unfair. They claim the Reds didn't sign free agents during his tenure - yet they signed Griffey to what at the time was the largest contract in baseball history (even though it was below market value). He signed Larkin to a huge deal. He signed Milton to a huge deal.

The bottom line is that by signing Griffey to the deal they did, the Reds tied their fortunes to him. Alas, lady luck opted to deal him a string of horrific injuries. If Griffey had been healthy the last 5 years, and producing like Griffey can, the Reds would be in a very different situation. He would be chasing 700 home runs this year or next year - and after the Bonds steroid accusations he would be the absolute darling of the baseball world. Griffey would be an institution - and a money making machine. The Reds would be, at the very least, a very fun team to watch - and no doubt more competitive, if not World Champions.

That was the vision that I'm sure Bowden sold Lindner on. And I can't blame Lindner for taking the chance - and neither should anyone on this board. We ALL supported the Griffey signing.

Once Griffey tanked (again, through now fault of his own), I think it would have taken a miracle to turn this team around. Blame Lindner for allowing the hiring of incompetent O'Brien, sure. But I think he took a major gamble early on in his tenure as owner. He lost, but I think it was a gamble we all would have made at the time.

This is a very good point. If Junior doesn't have what amounts to 4 wasted seasons, the Reds would have a very different face right now. If we had made the playoffs 2000, attendence would have risen, and payroll would've as well. We could've invested in starting pitching and perhaps placed ourselves firmly in the Cards/Stros camp of spending and talent.

HOWEVER, the problem was the refusal of Lindner to allow us to address the failure of this plan when the Jr. injury(ies) occured. Instead of swallowing hard, and reinvesting again to make sure we were in a good place for the new stadium, he slashed up the plan and went low road -- putting us in no position to capitalize on the stadium. THIS was the failure.

The 'not losing money' argument is completely bunk. The value of Lindner's share of the Reds has gone up $150 MM since he bought it. He could've lost $15MM a YEAR in operational costs and still broken even. Instead, he wanted to break even operationally and now gets to pocket $150MM. This doesn't even address the issue of investment in the team reaping returns. The White Sox just announced that have over 20,000 season ticket packages sold this year -- that's more than their average attendence from 5 years ago. This happened because they invested and WON, generating heaps of new revenue and putting them in a solid financial situation for the foreseeable future.

The problem with the statement above of course is that no amount of investment gaurentees a championship. You can easily spend $100MM and still miss the playoffs altogether. If you don't have an owner whose goal is to win, there is very little incentive for them to invest in the on the field product -- the risk is simply too high. Instead, the system encourages a low risk, low budget operational cost, which allows the owner to reap profits through appreciation (due to industry expansion) rather than yearly operation profit.

westofyou
But surely there was a press release, something official to mark the exchange? I don't know--just guessing. My only point: these things are fripperies, farts in the wind.
Well the deal was made the same day of Columbine, the transfer went through on 10/1 (when the Reds were blowing it in Brewer country)

RFS62
Whatever. At least they're trying to sweet talk us.

Better than hearing Allen blame us for ticket sales.

Falls City Beer
01-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Whatever. At least they're trying to sweet talk us.

Better than hearing Allen blame us for ticket sales.

Personally, I'd rather have smoke blown in my face than up my ass.

Caveat Emperor
01-20-2006, 03:10 PM
This is a very good point. If Junior doesn't have what amounts to 4 wasted seasons, the Reds would have a very different face right now. If we had made the playoffs 2000, attendence would have risen, and payroll would've as well. We could've invested in starting pitching and perhaps placed ourselves firmly in the Cards/Stros camp of spending and talent.

I don't see, personally, how having or not having Ken Griffey Jr. in the lineup affected this team to any great lengths. They tied up a lot of dollars into a guy who doesn't pitch -- whether he's playing or not, he's not going to help the pitching, and that has been the killer for the Reds in the Linder-era.

The team ALWAYS could've invested in starting pitching or traded for starting pitching (especially when Casey and Graves had real value), but the decision was made not to. Griffey's injury is no excuse for that. I seriously doubt that, had he been healthy, anything much would have been different other than the respectability of the losses. A "healthy Griffey" doesn't loosen Carl's wallet strings, and a "healthy Griffey" certainly doesn't make pitching prospects magically appear in the minor leagues or stop existing prospects from debilitating injury.

Heath
01-20-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm going to listen if I can - but I am not sure if I can transcribe that fast.

Also - I don't have a TV feed - so I don't know who is there or what.

Cyclone792
01-20-2006, 03:26 PM

HOWEVER, the problem was the refusal of Lindner to allow us to address the failure of this plan when the Jr. injury(ies) occured. Instead of swallowing hard, and reinvesting again to make sure we were in a good place for the new stadium, he slashed up the plan and went low road -- putting us in no position to capitalize on the stadium. THIS was the failure.

The 'not losing money' argument is completely bunk. The value of Lindner's share of the Reds has gone up $150 MM since he bought it. He could've lost $15MM a YEAR in operational costs and still broken even. Instead, he wanted to break even operationally and now gets to pocket $150MM. This doesn't even address the issue of investment in the team reaping returns. The White Sox just announced that have over 20,000 season ticket packages sold this year -- that's more than their average attendence from 5 years ago. This happened because they invested and WON, generating heaps of new revenue and putting them in a solid financial situation for the foreseeable future.

The problem with the statement above of course is that no amount of investment gaurentees a championship. You can easily spend $100MM and still miss the playoffs altogether. If you don't have an owner whose goal is to win, there is very little incentive for them to invest in the on the field product -- the risk is simply too high. Instead, the system encourages a low risk, low budget operational cost, which allows the owner to reap profits through appreciation (due to industry expansion) rather than yearly operation profit.

Spot on, Rick, excellent post.

Carl bought the team for cheap with the knowledge that a new stadium had already been approved and construction was ready to get under way. Once the stadium was up and the franchise had appreciated considerably, he began looking for potential buyers. He knew there would be a significant, quick spike in the worth of the franchise after the stadium went up, and IMO, his ownership of the team was tied directly into being the beneficiary of that spike.

Winning wasn't on his agenda; making money, and tons of it, was the only agenda.

The whole Griffey thing is even more interesting. Lindner wants to be remembered as the guy who ponied up to bring Griffey to Cincinnati, but in the end who will be the ones forking over the bulk of cash for Griffey? How much of Griffey's contract is deferred? How much of the total contract has he been paid and how much is he still due? I don't know the exact figures, but intuition tells me while it was Lindner who brought Griffey in, it will be new ownership stuck with the bulk of the bill.

Same deal with Milton. Lindner knew last offseason that he was on extreme borrowed time with ownership and that he wouldn't have the team for much longer. He runs out and signs a "big name" pitcher for big time money, when in reality that pitcher is a garbage pitcher. Still, he wants the perception that he tried, that he finally bumped up payroll for 2005. Well, how much is reality and how much is perception? I'm looking at the Milton signing, approved by Lindner, and also seeing that it's RCast that's getting stuck with the bulk of that bill too.

Shrewd moves by Uncle Carl. Buy a team before a stadium, sell it after. Bring in big money boys while in charge, then leave the new owners with much of the bill.

gonelong
01-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Well done is better than well said. - Benjamin Franklin

Apt I'd say.

GL

Chip R
01-20-2006, 03:37 PM
From Marc's blog on the scene:

"Looks like quite the shindig shaping up down here at Great American Ball Park. Just wandered over to the 4192 Club and saw Jerry Narron, Chris Welsh, Joe Nuxhall and various others making the rounds.

It looks like Castellini's marketing department has already been hard at work. There's a new logo, circular and featuring the slogan REDS PRIDE that's all over the place -- on the backdrop behind the podium, on the video screens around the stage and even on the video board on the scoreboard, which I'm gazing at right now.

I get the feeling we're in for some slick flash-and-dash when things get going. I already know there will be a three- or four-minute video before Castellini speaks, and I'm sure that'll get all the booster juices flowing. We shall see..."

Aronchis
01-20-2006, 03:40 PM
As I said in ORG, Carl's hopes were tied to the Bowden plan. Sean Casey, Danny Graves, Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, Ty Howington, Rob Bell, Gookie Dawkins ete ete ete.

Alot of these guys never made it. One did AFTER 2003(Adam Dunn).

Lindner allowing financial risks like Griffey and Larkin monetarily strapped the Reds as well while Limiteds tightened monetary policy as expected post-Marge.

Blunders simply were abound. Trading Casey and Graves in the 2001-02 timeframe may have been the correct move, but to Bowden, that would have meant rebuilding the rebuild. He always kept on hoping for that next retread revolution or young stud. It just never happened.

vaticanplum
01-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Perhaps a stupid question, but will people be keeping tabs on the press conference here on the off-chance that something exciting happens? I can't listen at work.

Sabo Fan
01-20-2006, 03:44 PM
I get the feeling we're in for some slick flash-and-dash when things get going. I already know there will be a three- or four-minute video before Castellini speaks, and I'm sure that'll get all the booster juices flowing. We shall see..."

Know what else would get the "booster juices" flowing? Castellini opening by saying: "Ok, it's getting crowded in here. Everybody out. Not you media members. Not you former and current players. Not you local politicians. Not you minority owners." Awkward silence ensues until DanO, Narron, Allen and Co. get the hint.

Now that would be a way to start a regime.

NJReds
01-20-2006, 03:45 PM
I guess "REDS NATION" has a new slogan..."The Power of Tradition"

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/images/masthead/cin_logobanner_primary.jpg

Ravenlord
01-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Perhaps a stupid question, but will people be keeping tabs on the press conference here on the off-chance that something exciting happens? I can't listen at work.
you know it. for example, i should be in bed right now, but here i am listening to the radio waiting for the conference and impending discussion.

M2
01-20-2006, 03:51 PM
I like that they've got pictures of actual players in that banner (and not a one them from the BRM).

Reds4Life
01-20-2006, 04:02 PM
He's going to talk about a 5 point plan, per Channel 12 news. I guess that means no announcement of changes. Suprise.

Chip R
01-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Marty's leading off and introducing the new owners (Joe williams is resplendent in a red blazer). And now the video.

Heath
Marty's talking - looks like RCast, Tom & Joe Williams.

That's it.

Video presentation shortly.

woy let them borrow some pictures.

Heath
I secede to the more-experienced Chip.

Maybe I can be Welsh to Chip's George Grande ;)

vaticanplum
01-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Oh thank you all so much for doing this and for doing so using words like "resplendent"

westofyou
The pre speech video looks like it cost more than the Reds marketing budget for all of last season.

Chip R
Have at it, Heath. BTW, Castellini looks like Admiral Stockdale minus the glasses.

Heath
01-20-2006, 04:05 PM
I think watching this video, my $15 seats just went to $25.

Chip R
01-20-2006, 04:06 PM
I think watching this video, my $15 seats just went to $25.

They raised prices already?! :eek:

Heath
01-20-2006, 04:06 PM
No Rich Aurilia in the video! WhoHoo!

M2
01-20-2006, 04:07 PM
So the new regime promises to make more videos?

Chip R
Video's over and the Do is back at the microphone. And here comes Adm Castellini.

Heath
Ut-oh here comes the thanking everyone.

Marty just got a big hug from the new organization.

Ravenlord
so far...Marty's getting his arse kissed.

Chip R
01-20-2006, 04:08 PM
He says, "Who are these people and what are they doing here." :lol:

Heath
01-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Did he just steal DanO's beginning - about being a Reds fan all his life?

top6
01-20-2006, 04:09 PM
the new slogan is the "power of tradition"?

the reds real problem over the last 30 years has been an obsession with the past. what about the FUTURE?

Reds Fanatic
01-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Now he is just talking about his history of being a Reds fan all of his life.

Heath
01-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi Joe :wave:

Sabo Fan
Is the video not working for anyone else? I just get the little broken link icon up in the corner.

Reds Fanatic
His promise to Reds fans: "We will bring championship baseball to Cincinnati".

Reds4Life
He's thanking Lindner now. *puke*

gonelong
01-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Patting Lindner on the back.

Ravenlord
He's thanking Lindner now. *puke*
and Stryke.

Heath
Ut-oh - why do I hear DanO's name next on the list.

Reds4Life
Carl saying on honorary chairman of the Reds. UGH.

gonelong
01-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Carl saying on honorary chairman of the Reds. UGH.

No doubt, a total figurehead position.

Chip R
01-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Marty looks like he'd rather be playing golf.

top6
01-20-2006, 04:13 PM
is dan o'brien there? i'm only listening.

M2
So basically thanks to Carl for playing inside baseball to get him the team.

Reds4Life
No doubt, a total figurehead position.

Ya, but still, why maintain a link to an era of losing?

Heath
Comparing apples to apples....errr..Reds and Cardinals...

Reds4Life
is dan o'brien there? i'm only listening.

No.

westofyou
So basically thanks to Carl for playing inside baseball to get him the team.
The envelope is in his pocket.

Heath
01-20-2006, 04:14 PM
whoops - he just went from championship to contender...

Heath
Here we go!

westofyou
Changing structure now.

Reds4Life
01-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Allen is staying as COO. DanO is staying.

Well, I just lost interest in this press conference.

Heath
There's the status quo's

M2
Damn feed keeps rebuffering on me. Castellini just got caught of when talking about the men and women who share his passion, apparently he's far more Roman than we'd guessed.

Reds Fanatic
They are changing the management structure. Baseball and business sides seperated. John Allen and Dano staying - UGH

Sabo Fan
DanO and Allen stay. Strikes one and two.

Ravenlord
$60-$65 million budget

Reds Fanatic
$65 million dollar budget for next year

paulrichjr
Please NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

Chip R
John Allen is staying on and DanO is reporting to the Admiral.

Joseph
Yeah, John Allen is staying. :rolleyes:

Heath
comparing the White Sox & Astros & Indians to the Reds.

I just heard big clicks on the TV/Radio

Caveat Emperor
01-20-2006, 04:16 PM
DanO stays...
Allen stays...

Second verse, same as the first...I hate being a Reds fan.

johngalt
You can't fire a GM 27 days before spring training

David Cubbedge
dammit

top6
nice. a lot of talk, and then say you are changing nothing. it will all be the same.

yes, a lot of teams have a $60 mil. budget and win, but aren't paying the 2nd worst pitcher in baseball and a gimpy center fielder 20+ mil.

Reds4Life

Sure can.

corkedbat
Allen and O'Brien will be retained. Allen out of the on-field loop, O,Brien reports directly to Castellini. No real payroll boost.

Doc. Scott
01-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Did you really think that Allen and O'Brien would be fired today?

DanO will finish 2006 and then hit the road.

Ravenlord
says who?

gonelong

I can't because I didn't purchase the team, but he sure in the heck could have.

GL

M2
Allen is staying as COO. DanO is staying.

Well, I just lost interest in this press conference.

Yeah, so much for change.

Though to be fair, he said Allen is staying and that DanO will report directly to him (Castellini). So maybe that means Allen's out of the loop and DanO's on a leash until they euthanize him.

westofyou
John Allen out of baseball operations is a nice piece of cake.

Dan O is not there... that speaks kinda loud too.

Caveat Emperor

Sure you can -- takes just two words: "You're fired!"

paulrichjr
If Allen had been fired I would have celebrated all day and night. That was the only thing that I wanted to hear. Oh well another year of "status quo."

Heath
Well - its not how you spend the money - its what you spend it on.

Maybe he doesn't want to spend the money on lameduck GM's.

(fainthope)

gonelong
01-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Sounds like he is splitting Allen off to ONLY financial. Might be non-cancerous in that capacity. Sounded to me like Allen got a bit of endorsement from him that DanO did not.

GL

johngalt
says who?

Says logic

Reds Fanatic
"We won't rest until our fans our happy" - You are not off to a good start on that one.

Heath
Chip - where art thou?

top6
also, his comments about the cards were about how better attendance led to higher payroll.

looks like we can look forward to another 10 years of the ownership blaming the people of cincinnati for not attending games and, hence, for the low payroll.

corkedbat
01-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Basically it sounds like they're gonna just "put lipstick on the pig". :bang:

Ravenlord
Says logic
what logic?

Chip R
The Admiral says Reds employees will ask fans their opinions on how to make the game a better experience during games. And that's it for the Admiral.

Heath
It's Mr. Red!

westofyou
01-20-2006, 04:20 PM
I like the fact that he said that they'll be "opportunistic" that's the sort of stuff that gets you Edmonds for career year guys.

Reds Fanatic
Allen is in charge of business operations. Hopefully that means he has nothing to do with baseball decisions.

Caveat Emperor
It's Mr. Red!

Hopefully Mr. Red just finished disposing of Gapper's corpse behind the floodwall.

Chip R
Marty is talking to Mr. Red now and they are giving the new owners Sunday jerseys.

M2
Sure you can -- takes just two words: "You're fired!"

But who'll coordinate the office supplies? Fire your GM now and you could have maverick spending on copy paper.

Strikes Out Looking
Actually, the first thing he should do is kill Mr. Red.

David Cubbedge
uhhhh

666?

top6
it's official.

after 28 years of listening to him, i am sick of marty.

Chip R
01-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Whither Gapper?!

Chip R
uhhhh

666?
:laugh:

westofyou
Whither Gapper?!
Dan O could be trying that costume on now.

Heath
Hal Speaks!

Reds4Life
"Our goal is to put a contender on the field this year"

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

corkedbat
01-20-2006, 04:22 PM
comparing the White Sox & Astros & Indians to the Reds.

I just heard big clicks on the TV/Radio

The Astros, ChiSox and Indians didn't have dreck Milton, Aurillia and Womack taking up a huge chunk of payroll and Dan0 to fritter it away. :bang:

Chip R
Hal asked how long it will take to turn it around. Adm. says they will be a contender this year.

westofyou
it's official.

Welcome to the machine.

Doc. Scott
Castellini just called out the minor league system for sucking. But then in the next breath, he's excited about Paul Wilson returning.

I do agree- I think the Reds will be better than people think. Of course, people think the club is horrible.

Brad Johansen tries to pressure Castellini about the payroll, and he says the payroll goes up if there's a contender. In other words, the same old stuff we've been hearing since Marge. When will these people understand that it's the other way around?

Reds Fanatic
How long to be a contender. Goal is to put a contender on field this year. He recognizes minor leagues are in very poor shape.

TeamCasey
My faith is renewed. I never thought he'd change out Dan O'Brien or Allen at this time. I do think he'll play an active role.

I'm jazzed.

Ravenlord
01-20-2006, 04:23 PM
"We're going to be a better team than people think we are."

no you're not.

KittyDuran
Hopefully Mr. Red just finished disposing of Gapper's corpse behind the floodwall.:nono: :evil:

Heath
Nice for him to see the minor league losers...

gonelong
Originally Posted by top6
it's official.

Party hats are in the corner, beers in the fridge.

Pull up a chair, I have some cigars for later.

pedro
Better than last place? At least he's setting his sites on an achievable goal.

Chip R
Johannson asks about the payroll and asks if the figure needs to grow and my video craps out on me.

Reds Fanatic
01-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Budget to break even. If team does well he would increase the budget with increased revenue.

top6
did the new owner just pin our hopes on paul wilson?

anway, when is the NFL draft? any thoughts on who the bengals (or insert your favorite NFL team) might pick?

Caveat Emperor
Ahh...the completely forgettable Brad Johanssen gets punked by the new ownership.

Heath
Andy Furman needs a haircut.

Ravenlord
Budget to break even. If team does well he would increase the budget with increased revenue.
that thing the Brewers are doing now.

StillFunkyB
01-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Typical Rah-Rah stuff like Marc said in his blog....

Yay....not that I really expected anything different, but there was that tiny drop of hope to hear something in his opening speech besides the same old song and dance....

Heath
01-20-2006, 04:25 PM
You can't give 110%

Chip R
01-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Adm C. says they will give 110%.

pedro
but I want 115 %!

StillFunkyB
I am also hoping he doesn't comment on Fay being good either, serious negative brownie points for that.....

Reds4Life

This guy sounds like Lindner, only younger.

corkedbat
Hanging his hopes for pitching improvement on Paul Wilson's right arm.

Wilson's comment: "Arrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh! OMG! You just ripped my freakin' arm off!"

corkedbat
01-20-2006, 04:27 PM
for the payroll to go up anttendance must go up. sounds like Darth Allen's Daddy

Reds Fanatic
Will stay with budget for now but would add budget mid season if the team was in contention.

pedro
God Schmod! I want my Monkey Man! - Bart Simpson

Doc. Scott
Castellini admits that the team will "bite the bullet" if they're contenders at the trade deadline.

A little better, not good enough.

Dan Hoard calls it out about Lou Piniella. Castellini says he's taking a year off but might come to spring training.

Yeah, he's getting the GM's job in October.

Reds4Life
Piniella is a winner, he's taking a year off. He wanted Lou as a special advisor.

Chip R
Now he's talking about horses. :confused:

Joseph
01-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Not impressed yet. Was more impressed with the letter in the paper this morning.

pedro
Sounds to me like Lou will be here next year.

Chip R
Hoard asked him about Lou and Adm C. says Lou is taking the year off and doing TV for Fox. He wanted Lou as special advisor and would come to ST if asked.

Reds Fanatic
Answers a question about Lou Pinella just says he is taking a year off but had wanted Lou to be an advisor. So no for this year but sounds like they are interested in the future.

TeamCasey
01-20-2006, 04:29 PM
I don't think it's the same old song and dance. I think cutting Allen out of the baseball loop is huge!

All the t's and i's aren't crossed yet either. I think changes will come.

In any regard, I'm excited to see some folks with baseball experience taking hold of the steering wheel.

Ravenlord
and WLW goes to commercial...

M2
Adm C. says they will give 110%.

But will I give a damn?

Meanwhile Bob's got a man crush on Lou Piniella.

Reds Fanatic
wlw just cut the press conf. off to go to commercial

corkedbat
01-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Not doing much at all to kill the Pinella in 07 specualtion - more like a fait au compli.. Narron can start looking over his shoulder now

Ravenlord
I don't think it's the same old song and dance. I think cutting Allen out of the baseball loop is huge!
if that is what happens then i agree. but years of abuse by this franchise have me concerned that Allen might be placed on the baseball half rather than the business half.

TeamCasey
for the payroll to go up anttendance must go up. sounds like Darth Allen's Daddy

But he's says for attendance to go up, the Reds have to stop sucking. I think he's pretty straight forward.

Heath
Hey, RCast just mentioned Schoendist & Musial. He's missing Gil Hodges!

Strikes Out Looking
Not just Narron--Lou is also a GM possibility.

Reds4Life
01-20-2006, 04:31 PM
WLW sucks, they cut off the presser for a commercial!

Chip R
01-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Hey, RCast just mentioned Schoendist & Musial. He's missing Gil Hodges!

And Zach Wheat.

Reds Fanatic
01-20-2006, 04:32 PM
WLW sucks, they cut off the presser for a commercial! And now they went to news I guess that is it for the press conf. from WLW.

SteelSD
01-20-2006, 04:32 PM
WLW sucks, they cut off the presser for a commercial!

Now it's traffic report.

Oops. 58 degrees outside. Rain likely tonight.

That is all.

Heath
01-20-2006, 04:33 PM
We're three Cy Young Award Winners away from a winner!

RedsIn07
Wow rehabbing pitchers comment... comparing them to Carpenter. Amazing.

Answers a question about Lou Pinella just says he is taking a year off but had wanted Lou to be an advisor. So no for this year but sounds like they are interested in the future.
Yeah, it sounds like he really wants Lou in the fold.

Heath
Try 1360Homer

Strikes Out Looking
Paul Wilson isn't coming off rehab to win the Cy Young award. Ain't gonna happen.

Cyclone792
01-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Is it me or does RCast seem nervous as hell up there answering some of these questions?

Ravenlord
We're three Cy Young Award Winners away from a winner!
Fernando Valenzuela, Trevor Hoffman, and Bartolo Colon?

M2
Bob pimps the pitching staff and then insists he's not pie-in-the-sky. He's right, that's pie-in-the-crab-nebula.

vaticanplum
Ah so we've gone from being awful to being delusional. That's nice.

Heath
01-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Rats - wife needs something from the store-keep it real!

Reds Fanatic
01-20-2006, 04:35 PM
If your hopes are resting on Paul Wilson's comeback you are in serious trouble.

Chip R
01-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Try 1360Homer

Nope. Lance is on now.

westofyou
Omigod... he said they were going to maximize the facility by extending the revenue stream that it has been generating!

Reds4Life
Lance is on 1360 gushing over Cast. Don't know what you were listening to Lance, but I ain't impressed my friend. I heard all talk and saw no action.

westofyou
01-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Look away lest you get hypnotized

Ravenlord
01-20-2006, 04:38 PM
i don't think anyone should have expected any real action today. i do hope to see someone fired on monday or tuesday though. if not, then i'll be unimpressed.

Doc. Scott
01-20-2006, 04:39 PM
But he's says for attendance to go up, the Reds have to stop sucking. I think he's pretty straight forward.

Right, but he also said the club has to contend for the payroll to go up. As with Lindner, it's the same cart/horse problem.

creek14
01-20-2006, 04:39 PM
I can't remember being so down on the Reds. Not even in the lean years of the 80's.

I'm on the ledge. I need some good news.

pedro
01-20-2006, 04:40 PM
If your hopes are resting on Paul Wilson's comeback you are in serious trouble.

Not to mention that you can't have a comeback if you never were.

It's the equivilant of saying I ate a bunch of hot dogs then crapped in the toilet and forgot to flush. Now I'm hoping it's turned into steak.

Reds Fanatic
i don't think anyone should have expected any real action today. i do hope to see someone fired on monday or tuesday though. if not, then i'll be unimpressed.
From that press conference I think we are a long way away from seeing someone fired. Allen move to the business side, DANO reports directly to the owner but they will both be around for awhile.

Reds4Life
I can't remember being so down on the Reds. Not even in the lean years of the 80's.

Me either, I was reallly hoping for some serious change today, what a disappointment. :(

M2
Almost 100% cotton candy today, but I'm extremely pleased Dan O'Brien wasn't in the room. That probably said more than any sentence that came out Castellini's mouth.

Falls City Beer
01-20-2006, 04:41 PM
I hate being right. I know y'all think I like being right about the Reds sucking, but I hate it. I want to be wrong so damn bad it hurts.

pedro
01-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Almost 100% cotton candy today, but I'm extremely pleased Dan O'Brien wasn't in the room. That probably said more than any sentence that came out Castellini's mouth.

That is a good sign, maybe he's out looking for some more hot dogs.

M2
01-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Not to mention that you can't have a comeback if you never were.

It's the equivilant of saying I ate a bunch of hot dogs then crapped in the toilet and forgot to flush. Now I'm hoping it's turned into steak.

All right, that had me laughing out.

creek14
I hate being right.
Bwahahahahahahahahaha. Now that's funny!! ;) :p:

Thanks for the giggle!! :devil:

Chip R
That is a good sign, maybe he's out looking for some more hot dogs.

I think Office Depot has a binder sale going on.

RedsIn07

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Gieco. ;)

But honestly I agree the fate of the already down-trotten Reds is in the air and it could land anywhere.

redsfanmia
01-20-2006, 04:43 PM
The more things change the more they stay the same.

Ravenlord
Almost 100% cotton candy today, but I'm extremely pleased Dan O'Brien wasn't in the room. That probably said more than any sentence that came out Castellini's mouth.and then we find out DanO traded Adam Dunn to the Red Sox for Bronson Arroyo and Alex Cora during the conferance.:evil:

SteelSD
Right, but he also said the club has to contend for the payroll to go up. As with Lindner, it's the same cart/horse problem.

I didn't take it that way, Doc.

Lindner specifically put the onus on attendance- seemingly skipping the crucial link that it's performance that drives ticket sales.

Castellini appears to understand the link. Now, whether or not he can do what it'll take to push performance to the level it'll take to increase butts in seats is the real question.

Obviously, the new ownership group wants to do something. But "want" is a long way from "can".

RedsIn07
01-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Castellini is beating that tradition thing into the ground.

Chip R
01-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Seperated at birth? You decide.

http://edition.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/news/9610/09/schneider.veep/stockdale.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/815381/bilde.jpg

pedro
I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
No, no!

corkedbat
Castellini is beating that tradition thing into the ground.

Maybe he'll bring back Pete, Tony and JB :evil:

TRF

The only poster here listening objectively.

Seperation of Allen and baseball decisions is a positive.

DanO not appearing at the presser is interesting.

Bringing former players to ST is a huge positive IMO.

It's a start, and I think a good one. Allen has been downsized, and quite frankly DanO should be downsized (not fired) to head of minor league development. He's shown an aptitude in this area. I don't think Sweet Lou is a good choice to replace DanO, and if I'm Narron, I'm looking over my shoulder for the next 10 months.

He understands the team's glaring weakness, and never once mentioned 3rd Base. He knows the only way this club is going to get a top flight pitcher is through trades, and he knows giving up young position players is the only way that is going to happen.

Seems like he's got a clue. I didn't get the same vibe when Carl took over.

M2
01-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Well, at least Castellini & Co. can take heart that this snoozer will be in one ear and out the other with the media.

Just a guess, but I'll bet the Broadway guys would have done something to make folks like Peter Gammons stand up and pay attention.

Falls City Beer
01-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Just a guess, but I'll bet the Broadway guys would have done something to make folks like Peter Gammons stand up and pay attention.

So much for that shred of optimism, eh, M2? :devil:

RFS62
01-20-2006, 04:50 PM
OK, Allen is now only a beancounter. That's good.

DanO appears to be on a short leash at best, not being there had to say something. Maybe Castellini will torture him for a few weeks before he gives him the axe.

"Go fetch me some coffee, DanO".

01-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Lettuce is 92% water, according to the new owner.

traderumor
01-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Heck, I'm impressed that he actually made a non-vague statement that payroll would be $60-65M. You might not like the figure, but at least he didn't act like its a matter of national security that must not be discussed in the wrong company like the former regime did.

SteelSD
01-20-2006, 04:52 PM
I like his enthusiasm, but I'm still trying to pull one thing from that press conference that demonstrates Castellini really understands the current Reds MLB team.

Can anyone help?

SteelSD
01-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Castellini is on with Lance right now. FYI.

traderumor
Castellini on with Lance now

Reds4Life
The only positive I took from this is I think Lou Piniella is going to be the manager when Narron gets the axe.

traderumor
Castellini is on with Lance right now. FYI.
Dag, owe you a coke, dude

traderumor
01-20-2006, 04:54 PM
The only positive I took from this is I think Lou Piniella is going to be the manager when Narron gets the axe.
Will Lou have to agree to shave more regularly? :evil:

pedro
I like his enthusiasm, but I'm still trying to pull one thing from that press conference that demonstrates Castellini really understands the current Reds MLB team.

Can anyone help?

He said they had a very good offense and he didn't mention strike outs or manufacturing runs (to the best of my knowledge).

ddrone
This guy is nothing but Linder lite.Since I can not seem to get any radio of this in the house,I actually sat in my old pickup to listen to this guy say the same old tired lines that this team leaders have been saying for years.
:bang:
I almost threw up in my mouth when he said that his goal is to break even money wise.Then he said we have some great young pitching coming back?And to top it all off,the payroll is the same!
I love the Reds more then most,but I still ain't driving down from Athens to watch a losing team.When are these people gonna get the hint,put some money in the reds,excite me,then you'll get my hard earned money.
Same old crap if you ask me.:thumbdown

corkedbat
OK, Allen is now only a beancounter. That's good.

DanO appears to be on a short leash at best, not being there had to say something. Maybe Castellini will torture him for a few weeks before he gives him the axe.

"Go fetch me some coffee, DanO".

"Requisition a fresh supply of pink slips for one of those Binders"

traderumor
01-20-2006, 04:56 PM
"Its how you spend it, not how much you spend."

Translation, don't look for me to pony up any cash for free agents.

MikeS21
He understands the team's glaring weakness, and never once mentioned 3rd Base. He knows the only way this club is going to get a top flight pitcher is through trades, and he knows giving up young position players is the only way that is going to happen.

Seems like he's got a clue. I didn't get the same vibe when Carl took over.
Ah, but there's the rub. WHICH young position players will be traded? The ONLY young position player who will fetch you a "top flight pitcher" is Adam Dunn. Kearns won't. Pena won't. Encarnacion won't. Lopez may get you an upgrade, but you still won't fetch the pitching stud you need (and you're stuck with Aurillia as your SS).

M2
So much for that shred of optimism, eh, M2? :devil:

Well, I don't think the guy's a lost cause, but he's left the bull's horns alone for the moment.

He had a spot-on take of the farm system even if he's delusional about the MLB product.

BTW, for folks who are thinking Allen's out of the baseball ops loop, right now that's more of us making a forensic leap than anything else. Unless I missed it, Castellini did not specifically say Allen's out of that loop.

Reds4Life
"We budget to break even"

Reds Fanatic
01-20-2006, 04:57 PM

Can anyone help?
The one thing I don't think he gets is how bad a situation with the pitching is. He mentioned Paul Wilson's comeback and young pitchers they think will perform well. Either he is just trying to be really optimistic or he does not get how far we are from even an average pitching staff.

The one thing he does get is how bad the minor league system is but he never really brought up how they are going to improve the minor leagues.

SteelSD
"It's our job to put a contender on the field to put fans in the seats." -Castellini

That's something Lindner never understood.

CincyRedsFan30
I was going to post a transcription of all of the press conference that was played on TV/radio, but it looks like most things have already been mentioned in some capacity or another.

Reds4Life
Heh, talking about Lou.

"He's taking a year off and wants to get back into baseball after that".

Translation, Lou will be with the Reds in 2007.

traderumor
Lance's nose is brown

RedsManRick
01-20-2006, 04:59 PM
In summary, according to "BoB":

- Payroll is a direction function of attendence
- Attendence is a direction function of performance
- Performance is NOT a direction funtction Payroll

Therefore, we need to win more games, without spending any more money, by spending smarter. Once we spend smarter and start to win more games, then attendence will increase. When attendence increases, so will payroll. If we happen to find ourselves in a playoff race in July, he's willing to expand payroll midseason to remain competitive. However, the leadership which has brought us to where we are (O'Brien, Allen) is not changing. This will usher in a whole new ERA of Reds baseball. Thanks Bob!

traderumor
01-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Heh, talking about Lou.

Translation, Lou will be with the Reds in 2007.Let's leave the recycling for aluminum cans and printer cartridges

Reds Fanatic
01-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Heh, talking about Lou.

Translation, Lou will be with the Reds in 2007.

From that press conference I think Lou could have any job he wants with the Reds in 2007. Manager, GM, advisor. If he wants back in baseball Castellini would hire him in a second.

TeamBoone
01-20-2006, 05:00 PM
if that is what happens then i agree. but years of abuse by this franchise have me concerned that Allen might be placed on the baseball half rather than the business half.

No, he specifically said the baseball and business sides will become separate entities... John Allen to stay on to handle the business side and DOB to stay on and report directly to him. Actually, I think he said both would report directly to him.

And I agree it was foolish to think he would fire DOB and JA on the first day.... but I'd say both better be thinking about what could happen in the future.

My impressesion was that Lou would almost assuredly be with the team in some capacity in 2007. He did everything but come right out and say so. He clearly emphasized he is taking the year off... one year.

He did NOT say Wilson was the Reds' saviour; you guys are blowing that out of proportion.

CincyRedsFan30
01-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Well, I don't think the guy's a lost cause, but he's left the bull's horns alone for the moment.

He had a spot-on take of the farm system even if he's delusional about the MLB product.

The part of the conference I was probably most impressed with is his discussion of the minors being so bad. He was very candid about how bad it really is and he even mentioned that he understands it takes time to make it better when it had been so bad for so long, but that he's an impatient guy. That seemed to me like it could at least potentially be a jab of some sort at O'Brien. If he's impatient, he might not take much more of O'Brien's poor performance.

pedro
I was going to post a transcription of all of the press conference that was played on TV/radio, but it looks like most things have already been mentioned in some capacity or another.

If you have one, do it. That'd be great.

westofyou
That's something Lindner never understood.

Here's another gem, when asked about the ML system he replied that it wasn't getting better fast enough for him, so they were going to have to look at that and decide whay that was.

That to ME.. was a Dan O jab as well as Naehring, both should be going to Kinkos later this week.

SteelSD
01-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Castellini also stated that they'd be willing to take "spot" losses to help the MLB product. That's something I like to hear.

donnelly_31
I am excited about the new ownership but if I had a restaurant and said i was only going to put enough money into it to serve average food and would put more money in to improve the product once my sales increased and people came to my restaurant my place would close go out of business pretty quick

Reds4Life
From that press conference I think Lou could have any job he wants with the Reds in 2007. Manager, GM, advisor. If he wants back in baseball Castellini would hire him in a second.

I think you are right. It wouldn't suprise me if Lou has a standing job offer from Cast whenever he's ready to return.

savafan
01-20-2006, 05:03 PM
"Our goal is to put a contender on the field this year"

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I believe.

westofyou
01-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Castellini also stated that they'd be willing to take "spot" losses to help the MLB product. That's something I like to hear.
Don't forget the signage...

SteelSD
01-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Here's another gem, when asked about the ML system he replied that it wasn't getting better fast enough for him, so they were going to have to look at that and decide whay that was.

That to ME.. was a Dan O jab as well as Naehring, both should be going to Kinkos later this week.

Yeah. There was a bit of an undercurrent there. And when mentioning the positives on Lance's show, he mentioned the coaching staff, but O'Brien's name never came up.

We can only hope that means what I hope it means.

vaticanplum
01-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Let it be on record, so that I can remember in September when the Reds are duking it out for fifth place, that I feel slightly, reservedly encouraged by this press conference.

He obviously knows there's a problem. stand back and look at things, and his are not messages of faith in the team's system as it is right now, and he doesn't seem to be terribly interested in protecting the wrongdoers. Of course I started drinking when the press conference started so maybe I'm delusional myself now.