PDA

View Full Version : Local ownership of the Reds

joeberk
01-20-2006, 01:37 PM
As this issue raises its head once again with the sale of the team, I guess I'll ask for opinions from folks who live in Cincinnati and might have a different perspective than I...

What's the big deal with the Reds being locally owned?

As a Reds fan who lives two hours away in Indianapolis and makes the trek to Cincinnati for games as much as I can, I guess I don't see the threat of "The Reds might move if an out-of-towner owns them!" as being too credible. Seems more like a strawman argument to me. Am I missing some history here?

I personally don't care who owns the team as long as they win. I'd rather see a team winning 90 games owned by a guy who lives in Omaha Nebraska than a team winning 75 games owned by someone who's lived in Cincinnati their whole life.

KronoRed
01-20-2006, 01:43 PM
With a long term lease and a new ballpark I have a hard time seeing MLB ever letting the Reds move.

Local ownership to me is a bunch of bullpoo.

westofyou
01-20-2006, 01:44 PM
As this issue raises its head once again with the sale of the team, I guess I'll ask for opinions from folks who live in Cincinnati and might have a different perspective than I...

What's the big deal with the Reds being locally owned?

As a Reds fan who lives two hours away in Indianapolis and makes the trek to Cincinnati for games as much as I can, I guess I don't see the threat of "The Reds might move if an out-of-towner owns them!" as being too credible. Seems more like a strawman argument to me. Am I missing some history here?

I personally don't care who owns the team as long as they win. I'd rather see a team winning 90 games owned by a guy who lives in Omaha Nebraska than a team winning 75 games owned by someone who's lived in Cincinnati their whole life.The Reds almost went out of business in the 30's, Local ownership saved them. They entertained offers to move to NYC in the late 50's and offers to go to San Diego were dangled in the 60's.

Since then the civic leaders have decided that the Reds are a flagship business to prop up a downtown that rolls its sidewalks up at 5 most days.