PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Starting Pitching

iaredsfan
01-20-2006, 11:30 PM
I see that Jeff Weaver still has not signed a contract for this year. With some question marks, what do you all think about the value of signing Weaver?

wheels
01-21-2006, 12:09 AM
I see that Jeff Weaver still has not signed a contract for this year. With some question marks, what do you all think about the value of signing Weaver?

I don't think it's a good idea for them to after a guy like Weaver.

He's expensive, and he's a bit of a headcase.

He pitched in Dodger Stadium last year.

Dodger Stadium ain't Great American Ballpark.

deltachi8
01-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Depends...do you think very many, very many, very long home runs being hit by the opposition is entertaining? Then Weaver would be your guy.

Chip R
01-21-2006, 12:13 AM
That very topic was discussed in a thread or two around here recently. Bottom line is that he's asking for a whole lot of money and he may not be worth it. He has some plusses. He may come cheaper than expected since no one is exactly beating his door down now. He's had success in the past. I don't think he walks a lot of people either and he throws a bunch of innings. On the negative side, if the Reds were to sign him, they would have the two pitchers who finished 1 and 2 in HRs given up in the NL in the rotation. Not to mention that performance came in Dodger Stadium, a pitcher's park. He has also had some temper problems in the past where he didn't work and play well with others. Personally, I'd pass.

wheels
01-21-2006, 12:19 AM
A big ole pass, Chipper.

KronoRed
01-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Depends...do you think very many, very many, very long home runs being hit by the opposition is entertaining? Then Weaver would be your guy.
Between him and Milton you may be guaranteed a ball if you sit in the outfield this year

Henry Clay
01-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Recently Charlie Steiner laughed out loud when a USA Today columnist suggested that Weaver should come to Cincinnati on a one-year deal in Millwood fashion to bide his time until another FA year arrived. Steiner said that Weaver would get his brains beat out at GABP. He gives up a lot of HRs. He is coming from Dodger Stadium. He doesn't have the make-up of a pitcher who can take the ups and downs of a season at GABP. Most importantly -- and I give Steiner credit here -- why would any pitcher come to Cincinnati for a year to improve his marketability? Weaver's numbers would likely be much worse after a year in GABP than they were last year in Dodger Stadium and the other large ballparks on the West Coast.

The Reds should not spend their money on Weaver. Although I was in favor of the proposed Matt Morris deal (repeat after me, Dan O'Brien, "sinkerball") that was opposed by a number of folks, I am opposed to Weaver. He is very pricey and not likely to succeed at GABP.

buckeyenut
01-21-2006, 06:52 AM
I agree with all the above.

But at some point, the guys price has to come down, since his options are sign for less or be out of baseball. If you could get him for 1 yr for 2M base plus incentives right before spring training, would you do it?

VI_RedsFan
01-21-2006, 06:58 AM
He pitched in Dodger Stadium last year.

Dodger Stadium ain't Great American Ballpark.

He also gave up 35 homers in Dodger Stadium. That translates into about 50 in GABP.
:thumbdown

KronoRed
01-21-2006, 07:12 AM
I agree with all the above.

But at some point, the guys price has to come down, since his options are sign for less or be out of baseball. If you could get him for 1 yr for 2M base plus incentives right before spring training, would you do it?
Nope, it would be a waste of cash, he'd be so bad for us that he would be untradeable.

Strikes Out Looking
01-21-2006, 11:15 AM
The answer is easy. No to Weaver.

I'd rather see what Belisle can do with 30 starts than pay millions of dollars for Jeff Weaver. Until the right pitcher is available in a trade or free agency (a sinker ball innings eater), I would stay with the young guys. Look what Harang and Claussen have done with the chances they have been given.

Hondo
01-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Weaver would have Terminal Countdown at the GAB...

Look at his Stats when at Comercia, then at Yankee stadium...

When he got back to a pitchers park in Chavez Ravine...(Dodgers)...he started putting up good numbers...

GAB + Weaver = Milton Right Handed...

Look for Weaver to try to hang out in Seattle as much as possible, if not stay with L.A.

These are just my thoughts on the situation. I am not Hal or Peter Gammons by any means...

JaredRoberts.com