PDA

View Full Version : Anna Benson to the O's

Marty and Joe
01-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Well...OK...it was Kris...but, I just thought I'd try the 'teaser' headline like the news stations do... :D

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060121&content_id=1298963&vkey=hotstove2005&fext=.jsp

Benson for Julio and Maine.

Dom Heffner
01-22-2006, 12:47 AM
One of my best friends was ghost writing Anna's autobiography.

From what I heard, a very, very stupid woman.

Hot, but stupid.

RFS62
01-22-2006, 10:02 AM
One of my best friends was ghost writing Anna's autobiography.

Does it come with crayons?

From what I heard, a very, very stupid woman.

Hot, but stupid.

Wow, who would have ever suspected that?

creek14
01-22-2006, 10:19 AM
I saw Anna host some show about wives of celebrities (or quasi-celebrities in her case). She could barely put three words together, except when talking about herself.

Just another example of pretty girls not needing a personality, sense of humor, or brains.

Guess I should thank my parents for my ugly genes. :p:

savafan
01-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Somewhere, right now, the rest of the Orioles players are trying to figure out how to get Kris to cheat on Anna.

WVRed
01-22-2006, 02:16 PM
And Hurricane Anna has hit Baltimore.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/22/sports/baseball/22benson.html

Wearing a black jersey of her new favorite team, the Baltimore Orioles, Anna Benson entered a cramped conference room of a Manhattan public-relations firm last night, her makeup still fresh from an earlier photo shoot for the April issue of FHM magazine.

She slapped her husband, Kris, on the thigh as they sat down, then listened as he talked about being traded to Baltimore.

Then it was Anna's turn to respond, and true to her reputation, she did not go quietly.

The trade brought pitchers Jorge Julio and John Maine to the Mets, and Anna used the hastily arranged news conference to sound off on all things personal, baseball and Mets. It was Anna Benson being Anna Benson.

"I think everyone blows me out of proportion," she said.

She is a rarity among today's professional men's athletes: the wife who has more of a public persona than her husband. Her time in New York was, in some ways, more remarkable than that of her husband.

Benson was moderately successful in his 18 months as a Met, but Anna stole the spotlight, sharing intimate details of their sex life, blasting the anti-establishment filmmaker Michael Moore and, more recently, criticizing the Mets for trying to trade her husband.

Hours before the news conference, Kris Benson, in a conference call, said that he was looking forward to working with the Orioles' pitching coach, Leo Mazzone, and to pitching in Camden Yards, the only major league stadium he said he had never visited.

Anna said in a statement released after the trade that she and Benson looked forward to "christening the parking lot" at the stadium, referring to her desire to have sex at every major league park.

Whether her brashness contributed to the Mets' persistence in trying to trade Benson is unclear. Mets officials have publicly denied it, and the deal has been months in the making, especially on the Orioles' part. Only the terms needed tweaking.

The Bensons said they hoped and believed that Anna's outsized personality had not factored into the Mets' decision, but their responses yesterday indicated that they were at least a little suspicious. Benson said he did not think the trade was "cut and dry." Anna was a little more straightforward.

"If they traded Kris because of what I've done, then that's a dirty, nasty, rotten trick," she said, adding that he would have signed elsewhere last winter if they had known he would be traded this quickly after signing a three-year contract.

As she spoke last night, enunciating clearly and forcefully, a smile did not leave her face, even as she addressed some weightier subjects.

She has criticized the Mets for acquiring Carlos Delgado, who has not stood for the playing of "God Bless America" during games because of his opposition to American foreign policy. Clarifying those remarks last night, she said that she wondered why the Mets were willing to acquire Delgado but then were leery when she considered modeling for Playboy.

"Be liberal or not, make a choice," Anna said, adding that her posing for Playboy was a dead issue.

In Baltimore, it is unlikely that Anna Benson's outrageousness will cause as much of a stir as it did in New York. She will continue to spout shocking comments, wear revealing outfits - like the low-cut dress she chose for the Mets' annual holiday party for children - and try to be, according to her, "the sexiest woman in professional sports."

Asked whether the move would damage her career as a model and as an all-around show-business personality, Anna deferred to her husband.

"This is never about me," she said. "This is about him."

Dom Heffner
01-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Wow, who would have ever suspected that?

My friend would probably kill me for disclosing this, but she's also just a bit**.

His firm had set up a cover shot with Maxim and she whined and cried about having to pay for her airfare, the limo, etc.

It never occurred to her that the exposure she would receive from the cover was worth 50 airplane trips and expenses.

She was just rude to my friend, which, you know, is not a wise thing to do to the person writing your life story.

My friend told me about all of this before I had ever even heard of her.

Johnny Footstool
01-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Dom, how did your friend manage to draw the short straw and get stuck with Anna Benson's autobiography? Were the Donnie Most and Elizabeth Berkley autobiographies already assigned to other writers?

Dom Heffner
01-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Dom, how did your friend manage to draw the short straw and get stuck with Anna Benson's autobiography? Were the Donnie Most and Elizabeth Berkley autobiographies already assigned to other writers?

Believe it or not, he worked for a PR firm that was started by the son of a 70s celeb. They represented Marshall Faulk and some other people.

I'm guessing he drew the straw because he was in charge of anything and everything to do with the written word for the firm.

One day my friend calls me from Atlanta and tells me he's there spending time with someone working on a biography. He told me who it was, but it didn't register until I asked him about a few months ago when I was visiting him in Los Angeles.

There was never any reason to doubt his story, but I knew it was true when I saw a picture of Mr. Benson and the whole firm sitting on the 70 celeb's son's desk.

There was also a HUGE autographed poster of Faulk in the office. It was very cool.

RFS62
01-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Wasn't Anna a stripper when Benson met her?

Chip R
01-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Wasn't Anna a stripper when Benson met her?
She was a stripper but I don't know if she was one when she met Benson. Probably but I don't know.

All I can say about that book is it better have pictures in it if they want it to sell.

Dom Heffner
01-22-2006, 11:23 PM
All I can say about that book is it better have pictures in it if they want it to sell.

I don't even know if there is going to be one- at least by my friend. She absolutely hated it- which he took as a compliment- but he did have a few chapters left to go. He was a little behind on it, and she had already paid him, so I can see her concern, but this guy is an incredibly talented writer and sometimes these things take longer than expected, especially if you want it to be any good. Though she hated it, so it probably didn't matter when he finished it.

I'll write him tonight and see whatever came of it.

letsgojunior
01-22-2006, 11:42 PM
"If he was traded because of any potential talks with . . . Playboy or anything like this, that's a dirty, nasty, rotten trick — and I think that's really freedom-of-speech infringement," she charged.

I'd love to hear Anna's thoughts on the First Amendment.

KronoRed
01-23-2006, 01:52 AM
I think my head would explode to hear it

Johnny Footstool
01-23-2006, 10:25 AM

I think that's a given. Anna would rather look at pictures of herself than read.

Yachtzee
01-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Anna said in a statement released after the trade that she and Benson looked forward to "christening the parking lot" at the stadium, referring to her desire to have sex at every major league park.

I wonder if Kris will give her his "O" face.

creek14
01-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Anna would rather look at pictures of herself than read.
You assume Anna can read.

Just heard a news blurb that Paris H didn't know London was in the UK...

Johnny Footstool
01-23-2006, 01:38 PM

Sure she can read -- Playboy, Hustler, the words on a $20 bill, instructions for operating various personal massage devices, etc.

Caveat Emperor
01-23-2006, 01:45 PM

Just heard a news blurb that Paris H didn't know London was in the UK...

Opie & Anthony were playing some audio from this WB show called Beauty and the Geek, which teams bimbos and nerds together on a reality show where the women are supposed to learn to be smart from the geek and the geeks are supposed to learn social skills and pop-culture trivia from the geeks.

Anyway, they were playing audio of these girls saying that the White House's address was "1 White House Lane" and that the capital of Iraq was "Afghanistan."

I imagine Anna would fit in well on this show.

Chip R
01-23-2006, 01:48 PM
She better not ever divorce Kris cause no one would pay attention to her any more.

RFS62
01-23-2006, 03:19 PM
She better not ever divorce Kris cause no one would pay attention to her any more.

Yeah, and when Kris' career is over, she's SOL.

Heath
01-23-2006, 06:18 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/pete_mcentegart/01/23/ten.spot/p1_benson.jpg

Anna Benson with the "batting practice" jersey.

She's gotta drop the meth look, it ain't her...

KronoRed
01-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah, and when Kris' career is over, she's SOL.
Wanna bet that's when she moves to a younger player?

Topcat
01-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Wanna bet that's when she moves to a younger player?

Ala Carol Alt leaving Ron Greschner for Sergei Federov ;)

MartyFan
01-24-2006, 01:54 AM
I have a new nickname for Anna.

It is vicious, mean and horrible

it is

Balti***** Benson

RFS62
01-24-2006, 02:41 AM
So, you're saying that the O's are now the Ho's?

RedsBaron
01-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Ala Carol Alt leaving Ron Greschner for Sergei Federov ;)
Anna Benson on her best day was never Carol Alt.

RFS62
01-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Anna Benson on her best day was never Carol Alt.

No kidding.

savafan
01-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Video interview with Kris and Anna discussing the trade:

http://www.fhmus.com/benson_vid.asp

More:

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/annabensonyayyah.jpg

http://news.sawf.org/Lifestyle/6546.aspx

Anna and Kris Benson's candid video interview with FHMUS.com is the first interview the couple did after receiving news of the trade. Anna Benson was named "Baseball's Hottest Wife" by FHM last year.

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 22, 2006--"Without a doubt, the Baltimore Orioles won today and the Mets lost," said Anna Benson yesterday immediately after learning that husband Kris Benson had been traded by the New York Mets to Baltimore. Anna spoke to FHMUS.com (www.FHMUS.com), web site of FHM magazine, while on location in New York City Saturday afternoon at her FHM April 2006 cover shoot.

Anna and Kris Benson's candid video interview with FHMUS.com is the first interview the couple did after receiving news of the trade. In addition, the web site features exclusive behind-the-scenes footage of Anna's photo shoot, as well as photographs of the couple, including Anna wearing a Baltimore Orioles hat for the very first time.

The Bensons were upset by lingering reports that the trade was put in motion because Mets management was fearful of Anna potentially posing provocatively for magazine photo shoots. "I really don't take too much account of it. I just keep going, I just have fun with it. It's great publicity for her," said Kris.

"I know baseball is a business. But if they really did trade Kris because of me, it would be sexist, it would be discriminatory, and it wouldn't be the right thing to do. They didn't seem to get equal value in the trade, and it would be irresponsible for them to weaken their organization by trading Kris because he's married to me. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever," said Anna off camera to FHMUS.com, adding, "When Kris signed as a free agent, we arranged to donate $1 million of our own money to New York charities. To be dealt so quickly, I feel like we won't get a chance to finish what we started in New York."

Despite the abrupt nature of the trade, Kris Benson told FHMUS.com he's looking forward to his new role in Baltimore. "It's a good city, we have good fans, we have a good team...and great management with Jim Duquette and Leo Mazzone as pitching coach. I'm looking forward to working with him." Of New York, Kris said, "I've gotten a lot more support than I have criticism, and I think that our time here in New York was short but it was sweet...We still plan on being a part of the city."

Anna Benson, named "Baseball's Hottest Wife" by FHM last year, has been featured in the magazine several times. Her upcoming cover and photo will be part of FHM's annual baseball preview in April.

FHMUS.com is the official web site of FHM magazine, a publication of emap metro LLC.

zombie-a-go-go
01-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Anna Benson is borderline retarted, and her plasticine, store-bought beauty can belong to anybody for a couple of cool grand. I find her revolting.

Now all of you who were breathlessly awaiting my take on the subject can resume your regular activities. :cool:

gonelong
01-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Does that bra have red stitching on it, as in baseballs? The wife is probably going to be a little upset when she gets one of those for valentines day. ;)

GL

WebScorpion
01-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Does that bra have red stitching on it, as in baseballs? The wife is probably going to be a little upset when she gets one of those for valentines day. ;)

GL

Yea, I couldn't decide whether it would be better to grip those like a two-seamer or four-seamer and then it hit me; The old palmball is the way to go! :laugh:

Johnny Footstool
01-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Or you could break out the spitter.

Red Leader
01-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Yea, I couldn't decide whether it would be better to grip those like a two-seamer or four-seamer and then it hit me; The old palmball is the way to go! :laugh:

I'd like to take one in the face for the team.

RANDY IN INDY
01-26-2006, 07:05 PM

Or you could find the highest seam, for more bite.

creek14
01-26-2006, 07:09 PM
:nono: I don't want to hear (see) a word when the girls start talking about a players butt!!

;) :devil:

dsmith421
01-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Anna Benson is borderline retarted,

I'm sorry, this keeps making me giggle.

Danny Serafini
01-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Anyone catch her interview on Dan Patrick yesterday? About the intelligence level you'd expect. She did deliver a classic sound bite that I'm sure will be replayed a thousand times - "I have huge breasteses"

BrooklynRedz
01-27-2006, 11:19 AM
This is kinda funny (http://www.progressiveboink.com/dugout/archive/dugout1-21-06.htm)

savafan
01-27-2006, 12:13 PM
This is kinda funny (http://www.progressiveboink.com/dugout/archive/dugout1-21-06.htm)

That was hilarious! :beerme:

RFS62
01-31-2006, 09:55 PM
So, now she's going to be playing poker on ESPN.

Somebody should tell her it's not strip poker.

Redsland
02-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Heck, she'll be surprised that poker is a card game and not a typo.:evil:

WVRed
02-01-2006, 09:09 AM

No, somebody shouldnt.;)

RedsBaron
03-30-2006, 10:26 PM
It is now being reported that Anna Benson has filed for divorce from Kris Benson.

realreds1
03-30-2006, 10:46 PM
It is now being reported that Anna Benson has filed for divorce from Kris Benson.

Woohoo! The poker line forms behind me!

*ahem*

Or somethin' like that... :cool:

(This really bad joke has been provided by realreds1. Any rebroadcast, reproduction, or other use of this joke without the express written consent of realreds1 is prohibited.)

KronoRed
03-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Only if your a ballplayer in New York ;)

Spitball
03-31-2006, 09:34 AM

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) _ Anna Benson wants a divorce from Baltimore Orioles pitcher Kris Benson, who still thinks the New York Mets traded him because of his impulsive wife.<
Anna Benson, an actress and model who has posed topless, filed for divorce in Atlanta on Thursday. The petition for divorce claims the marriage is “irretrievably broken.”<
The couple has been married for seven years.<
Kris Benson initially protested the deal that sent him to the Orioles. But now he thinks the Mets did him a favor.<
“I was a little upset because I enjoyed my time in New York and I feel like they had a good team coming into the season,” Benson said in a recent interview. “But now that I realize the opportunity I have, it's going to be a good career move for me.”<
Now, it appears as if he will go at it alone.<
In 2005, his first full season with the Mets, Benson allowed three runs or fewer in 19 starts. He was 10-8 with a 4.31 ERA, but New York won 17 of the 28 games in which he pitched.<
Despite those numbers, the right-hander was traded to the Orioles in January for pitchers Jorge Julio and John Maine. There was speculation that the deal was perpetuated by the behavior of Anna, who has her own web site and publicly discussed intimate details of their sex life.<
Mets general manager Omar Minaya contended that Anna Benson was not a factor in the trade. Kris Benson isn't buying it.<
“New York is just a world of its own. I knew that coming in, but you learn that a little more when you get put in the spotlight like that in a negative and undeserving way,” Kris Benson said. “It was a little frustrating at the time because people kind of believe what they read. For her it's been a little tough, because they kind of portray her in a negative light.”<
Anna Benson wore a provocative dress at the team Christmas party, and there was talk that she was considering posing nude for Playboy. Kris Benson bristles at the memory.<
“We learned a lot from the whole situation. You look at some of the things that were said, some of the lies that were passed, who believes what, who your friends are, who your friends aren't,” he said.<
He said Anna never had a serious conversation with representatives from Playboy, and that her attire at the party was “not as revealing as people say it is. The only thing they fed off is when she kind of bent over and someone took a picture of it. It's an exaggeration of the truth, and now the Mets are going to miss out on a quality starter and the Orioles are going to benefit.”<
Benson still finds the reasoning behind the trade to be perplexing, but he knows for certain that the Mets will ultimately regret dealing him away.<
“Some people are already seeing the trade as a negative thing. There are a lot of things that don't add up when it comes to the reasoning behind it,” he said. “There's a lot of heresy, a lot of rumors floating around about the reason why. Lately, a lot of people are suspecting foul play in terms of one thing being said and the truth being different.”<
Whatever. Benson is now focused on providing veteran leadership to a young starting rotation and using the advice of esteemed pitching coach Leo Mazzone to take his game to a higher level.<
“It's over with. The media in New York kind of took it too far,” Benson said.<
If Benson can adjust to pitching in the American League, the Orioles should be a better team in 2006.<
“We got Kris Benson for a reason: to solidify the starting rotation,” manager Sam Perlozzo said. “He doesn't have to be the best in the world, but he has to hold up his end of the bargain, and we feel he will.”<

KearnsyEars
03-31-2006, 10:19 AM
Tejada just reminded the O's of his no trade clause ;)

RedsBaron
03-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Tejada just reminded the O's of his no trade clause ;)
:laugh:

savafan
03-31-2006, 12:51 PM
“Some people are already seeing the trade as a negative thing. There are a lot of things that don't add up when it comes to the reasoning behind it,” he said. “There's a lot of heresy, a lot of rumors floating around about the reason why. Lately, a lot of people are suspecting foul play in terms of one thing being said and the truth being different.”

Oh those heretical Mets! :evil:

NJReds
03-31-2006, 01:20 PM
Upon the news of the pending divorce, one of the local sportstalk guys said: "Can the Mets trade Julio back to the O's for Benson, now?"

I hope she just disappears. Her 15 minutes of fame were 15 minutes too many, IMO.

RedsBaron
04-03-2006, 03:26 PM
I just received the 4/3/06 issue of Sports Illustrated. As part of its baseball preview, SI featured Anna Benson as the "Siren" in one of 20 baseball people to watch (page 50).
Meanwhile, SI's online edition today, under the "10 Spot," reports that Anna Benson claims that Kris Benson cheated on her. This means the divorce could raise a very difficult legal issue. If Kris cheated on her, did the Mets trade of Kris to the Orioles also result in trading away Anna's promise to sleep with every member of the Mets organization in the event Kris cheated? Who now has those "rights"-the Mets or the O's?

Matt700wlw
04-03-2006, 04:00 PM

Nah...don't tell her :p:

redsfanmia
04-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Am I the only one that thinks she is not hot?

Jaycint
04-03-2006, 07:49 PM
Am I the only one that thinks she is not hot?

I think she's pretty hot but her personality and the fact that she knows she's hot and pretty much lets that define her makes her undesirable. She is paper thin, and I don't mean her waist size.

Yachtzee
04-03-2006, 09:25 PM
This means the divorce could raise a very difficult legal issue. If Kris cheated on her, did the Mets trade of Kris to the Orioles also result in trading away Anna's promise to sleep with every member of the Mets organization in the event Kris cheated? Who now has those "rights"-the Mets or the O's?

I think the key question is whether the Mets intended to convey the entire "bundle of sticks." ;)

Reds Fanatic
04-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Apparently Anna needs more publicity and now wants Kris back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2396659

Tabloid favorite Anna Benson no longer wants to divorce Baltimore Orioles pitcher Kris Benson.

On Tuesday, she dismissed the divorce petition she had filed last week in Atlanta, attorney Jeffrey B. Bogard said in a press release. Instead of splitting, she expressed a desire to reconcile her marriage.

Kris Benson has said he thinks the New York Mets traded him because of his impulsive wife.

Anna Benson, an actress and model who has posed topless, claimed in the now-withdrawn divorce petition that the marriage was "irretrievably broken."

There has been speculation that the behavior of Anna Benson caused the Mets to trade Kris to the Orioles.The couple has been married for seven years.

Kris Benson initially protested the deal that sent him to the Orioles. But now he thinks the Mets did him a favor.

"I was a little upset because I enjoyed my time in New York and I feel like they had a good team coming into the season," Benson said in a recent interview. "But now that I realize the opportunity I have, it's going to be a good career move for me."

In 2005, his first full season with the Mets, Benson allowed three runs or fewer in 19 starts. He was 10-8 with a 4.31 ERA, but New York won 17 of the 28 games in which he pitched.

Despite those numbers, the right-hander was traded to the Orioles in January for pitchers Jorge Julio and John Maine. There was speculation that the deal was perpetuated by the behavior of Anna, who has her own Web site and publicly discussed intimate details of their sex life.

Mets general manager Omar Minaya contended that Anna Benson was not a factor in the trade. Kris Benson isn't buying it.

"New York is just a world of its own. I knew that coming in, but you learn that a little more when you get put in the spotlight like that in a negative and undeserving way," Kris Benson said. "It was a little frustrating at the time because people kind of believe what they read. For her it's been a little tough, because they kind of portray her in a negative light."

Anna Benson wore a provocative dress at the team Christmas party, and there was talk that she was considering posing nude for Playboy. Kris Benson bristles at the memory.

"We learned a lot from the whole situation. You look at some of the things that were said, some of the lies that were passed, who believes what, who your friends are, who your friends aren't," he said.

He said Anna never had a serious conversation with representatives from Playboy, and that her attire at the party was "not as revealing as people say it is. The only thing they fed off is when she kind of bent over and someone took a picture of it. It's an exaggeration of the truth, and now the Mets are going to miss out on a quality starter and the Orioles are going to benefit."

KronoRed
04-04-2006, 03:52 PM
No one better came along?

savafan
04-04-2006, 03:58 PM
She's an actress? :dunno:

Chip R
04-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Apparently Anna needs more publicity and now wants Kris back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2396659

Kris Benson has said he thinks the New York Mets traded him because of his impulsive wife.

Anna Benson, impulsive? Nooooooooooooooooo.

I suppose this really gives Kris carte blanche to fool around. Her divorce talk is just an empty threat cause she has probably realized that if she ever divorces him, she'll be back at the Bada Bing before you know it.

vaticanplum
04-04-2006, 04:36 PM
I remain steadfast in my affection for Anna Benson. She is a heck of a lot more interesting than most of the hanger-on personalities of baseball. And despite the stereotypes everybody throws at her, she actually seems to defy a lot of them.

Chip R
04-04-2006, 04:37 PM

IMDB says no.

Heath
04-04-2006, 04:47 PM

Apparently she is. She's been starring in the show "Anna and the Gravy Train" for the past seven years.

I guess she got "caboosed" by Kris.

realreds1
04-04-2006, 05:59 PM
She's been starring in the show "Anna and the Gravy Train" for the past seven years.

Even Danny Graves has been in line for poker??

:help:

WebScorpion
04-05-2006, 01:59 PM
He said Anna never had a serious conversation ...

You got that right Kris! :laugh:

I remain steadfast in my affection for Anna Benson. She is a heck of a lot more interesting than most of the hanger-on personalities of baseball. And despite the stereotypes everybody throws at her, she actually seems to defy a lot of them.

Um, ok Kris. :rolleyes:
I personally find personalities like Mother Teresa of Calcutta more interesting. What drives a person to devote their lives to the service of others? and did she really make a lasting difference in the world?

Anna Benson on the other hand has devoted her life to ... herself? Ya real interesting ... she's about as unique as a Pringle, but not as smart.
:mooner:

vaticanplum
04-05-2006, 03:15 PM
I personally find personalities like Mother Teresa of Calcutta more interesting. What drives a person to devote their lives to the service of others? and did she really make a lasting difference in the world?

Anna Benson on the other hand has devoted her life to ... herself? Ya real interesting ... she's about as unique as a Pringle, but not as smart.

Most baseball wives look terrified to even speak. I'm not saying she's someone with whom I'd want to break bread, but at least she appears to be her own person and speak her own mind. I certainly never would claim she's made a huge difference in the world...but come to think of it I'm willing to bet she does donate to charity.

realreds1
04-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Um, ok Kris. :rolleyes:

Frankly, I, too, find personalities like Mother Teresa and Martin Luther King, Jr. much more appealing than the average baseball wife. However, where in this thread did you find a need to bring up Mother Teresa? If you re-read the post, you'll realize that he's talking about BASEBALL WIVES not DIGNITARIES. And in the rank-and-file of baseball wives (not that there is much of one), yes, Anna Benson is at least an interesting personality.

WebScorpion
04-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Funny, I thought it was just about Anna Benson. He did say she was more interesting than most of the 'hanger-on personalities of baseball'. What I'm saying is that I don't find Anna Benson interesting OR the hangers-on (hanger-ons?). I'm not even sure I find many baseball players interesting, I just love the game.

Did somebody just compare contributing to a charity for tax purposes to Mother Theresa's lifelong work? :eek: Of course, my life is pretty meaningless when compared to Mother Teresa as well. :cry:

Chip R
04-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Frankly, I, too, find personalities like Mother Teresa and Martin Luther King, Jr. much more appealing than the average baseball wife. However, where in this thread did you find a need to bring up Mother Teresa? If you re-read the post, you'll realize that he's talking about BASEBALL WIVES not DIGNITARIES. And in the rank-and-file of baseball wives (not that there is much of one), yes, Anna Benson is at least an interesting personality.

The only reason she is interesting is that she brags about having sex with her husband and says she will sleep with every player on his team if he fools around. Plus she has posed nude and semi nude. Before she started opening her yap she was just another baseball wife but just a little more attention starved than the average wife. I am sure there are better looking baseball wives and there are more interesting personalities out there as well. They just are not publicity hounds.

vaticanplum
04-05-2006, 09:42 PM
She is a publicity hound, I'm not arguing that. Nor am I arguing that she's changing the world. But the idea that she is just a stripper who talks about sex all the time is not true; it is a stereotype based on an image that was partially designed by her and partially assigned to her. She has run her mouth on any number of issues, many of them bordering on political (such as hunting). I don't think I've ever agreed with a single thing she's said, but she says what she says in a forthright, charming and yes, often intelligent manner, and yes, I personally find this interesting. Mother Teresa was interesting too, and I probably agreed with a lot more of what she said. That's not really the point. Could it be that Mother Teresa fits more of some people's idea of what a woman "should" be? Sports are chock full of men who are publicity hounds too. I haven't heard much debate about them.

I'm not exactly sure when I became a defender of Anna Benson's, but I really feel that there is a tendency to pass her off as a stripper without giving it a second thought, and frankly this is a stereotype against strippers that neither she nor any other stripper deserves. And since when is contributing to charities, for ANY reason, tax-related or not, a reason to put somebody down? There are very, very few Mother Teresas in the world. It's utterly unrelated to Anna Benson.

I love the game too, obviously, but the personalities are part of it, and if they push themselves into my consciousness I'm bound to have an opinion. In my opinion, it is a breath of fresh air to see a woman so straightforward and so herself with the press -- well, and with everybody -- publicity hound or not. I think that she is at least as fine a representation of women as any mousy little baseball wife who sits at home spending her husband's money to redecorate the house a squillion times. Those are my own prejudices creeping in and it's a bit of a fallacy, but that's how I feel. And for the record, I'm a she, not a he.

savafan
04-06-2006, 03:21 AM
She is a publicity hound, I'm not arguing that. Nor am I arguing that she's changing the world. But the idea that she is just a stripper who talks about sex all the time is not true; it is a stereotype based on an image that was partially designed by her and partially assigned to her. She has run her mouth on any number of issues, many of them bordering on political (such as hunting). I don't think I've ever agreed with a single thing she's said, but she says what she says in a forthright, charming and yes, often intelligent manner, and yes, I personally find this interesting. Mother Teresa was interesting too, and I probably agreed with a lot more of what she said. That's not really the point. Could it be that Mother Teresa fits more of some people's idea of what a woman "should" be? Sports are chock full of men who are publicity hounds too. I haven't heard much debate about them.

I'm not exactly sure when I became a defender of Anna Benson's, but I really feel that there is a tendency to pass her off as a stripper without giving it a second thought, and frankly this is a stereotype against strippers that neither she nor any other stripper deserves. And since when is contributing to charities, for ANY reason, tax-related or not, a reason to put somebody down? There are very, very few Mother Teresas in the world. It's utterly unrelated to Anna Benson.

I love the game too, obviously, but the personalities are part of it, and if they push themselves into my consciousness I'm bound to have an opinion. In my opinion, it is a breath of fresh air to see a woman so straightforward and so herself with the press -- well, and with everybody -- publicity hound or not. I think that she is at least as fine a representation of women as any mousy little baseball wife who sits at home spending her husband's money to redecorate the house a squillion times. Those are my own prejudices creeping in and it's a bit of a fallacy, but that's how I feel. And for the record, I'm a she, not a he.

Amen! Well said VP.

Jaycint
04-06-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm not exactly sure when I became a defender of Anna Benson's, but I really feel that there is a tendency to pass her off as a stripper without giving it a second thought, and frankly this is a stereotype against strippers that neither she nor any other stripper deserves.

Well I guess there are a million and one reasons why a stripper decides to be a stripper but in my personal experience most of them fit fairly well into the stereotype that society has layed out for them. Not all. Most. There are plenty of other jobs a young attractive lady could find, has to be some underlying reason why they would choose to take their clothes off for all of us dirty old men. In my experiences, which obviously don't include an in depth study of 1000's of these ladies, they have a personality about as paper thin and fake as a tissue, want to get by in life on their looks, and only care about how much money they make in order to go out and buy that cute little outfit they saw at Victoria's Secret. They talk a good game about wanting to get out of the business but never actually do until they happen to run into their own Kris Benson. Had Anna not met him I'd bet good money she'd still be working whatever Deja Vu location she was working back then.

vaticanplum
04-06-2006, 12:07 PM
There are plenty of other jobs a young attractive lady could find, has to be some underlying reason why they would choose to take their clothes off for all of us dirty old men.

That would be the money. Oftentimes to support their children, whom they are usually raising alone.

And all male athletes are moronic misogynists, right?

Jaycint
04-06-2006, 12:16 PM
That would be the money. Oftentimes to support their children, whom they are usually raising alone.

Well I'm a single father, I raise my son. Alone. No help from mommy. I have two other male friends doing the exact same. That's not the one sided issue that you would like to think it is although I'll concede that the vast majority of single parent homes are mommy and no daddy around.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that plenty of women decide to strip. Every once in a while it makes for a fun Friday night out with the fellas.

As for the money, find a decent job making 8 or 9 dollars and then have at it with all of the government programs set up to assist single moms. You think things are easy for me as a single father?

And all male athletes are moronic misogynists, right?
See you are making an absolute statement by saying "all". I was very careful not to do that with strippers. I'm sure the sports world has more than it's fair share of "moronic misogynists". No doubt.

vaticanplum
04-06-2006, 12:19 PM
We're getting into peanut gallery territory here. PM me if you want to discuss any more.

Go Reds!

Jaycint
04-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Sounds good VP. I respect your viewpoint by the way, just happen to disagree. :) Go Reds!