PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State Football Recruiting update (if you're interested...)

max venable
01-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Signing day is 10 days away and Ohio State is closing as strong as it ever has in the Jim Tressel era.

"Jim Tressel classes tend to start great and slowly pick up a few players as time goes along," said analyst Duane Long, the recruiting editor for Ohio High magazine and Bucknuts.com. "This year, they're finishing with a flourish."

Last week, Ohio State picked up three oral commitments: Glenville lineman Bryant Browning, safety Aaron Gant of St. Mary Prep in Michigan, and Aram Olson of Irmo High in Columbia, S.C. That brings the Buckeyes to 18 players in this class, with another four or five scholarships available.

Long said three players are the key to this week's final push: Euclid linebacker Thaddeus Gibson, Glenville receiver Raymond Small and Derrell Johnson from Youngstown Cardinal Mooney. Another prominent possibility is junior-college linebacker Larry Grant. Small has said he'll announce his choice on signing day, on Feb. 1, though Long believes both Gibson and Small are leaning toward the Buckeyes.

captainmorgan07
01-22-2006, 04:40 PM
thanks for the info go bucks!!!!!

redsfan30
01-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Ray Small unfortunetly will wind up at USC for one simple reason......grades. His grades are a HUGE question mark right now. It's no secret that OSU is his first choice, but if the grades just aren't there he'll have to go to USC.

Larry Grant got back off his official visit today and even though he says he will take his visit to Oregon and make his decision on signing day he's Ohio State's to lose. He's a huge get this year, especially with the lack of depth they will have at linebacker.

Thaddeus Gibson would be another huge get for this class. I'm worried that he's a Michigan lean though. It is down to OSU, Michigan and Tennessee but it's widely believed it's between OSU and Michigan.

Top to bottom, this is an extremely nice class and could only get better with Grant and/or Gibson.

redsfan30
01-22-2006, 09:12 PM
By the way.....Aram Olson is a S T U D, stud! He will probably redshirt next year though but if you watch film of the guy he just makes you say "wow"!

Aram Olson blocking for Chris Wells is a scary, scary thought for the rest of the Big Ten come 2007.

Unassisted
01-22-2006, 10:22 PM
This is good to hear and it cheers me up. This morning, I was reading the college choices of the top 100 high school players here in Texas and was disappointed to see Ohio State not landing any of them.

redsfan30
01-23-2006, 01:35 PM
It's being reported the Thaddeus Gibson called up coach Tressel and gave him his verbal committment this morning!

Let's hope the grades are in order because he can make an immediate impact for the Buckeyes come fall!

This is a bit of a surprise to me. I had myself built up for him to verbal to Michigan but he proved me wrong!

max venable
01-23-2006, 02:34 PM
It's being reported the Thaddeus Gibson called up coach Tressel and gave him his verbal committment this morning!

Let's hope the grades are in order because he can make an immediate impact for the Buckeyes come fall!

This is a bit of a surprise to me. I had myself built up for him to verbal to Michigan but he proved me wrong!
I'm hearing the same thing...looks like he's a Buckeye...huge verbal for the Bucks!

OnBaseMachine
01-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Redsfan30, Ray Small is an absolute lock for Ohio State. Zero chance of USC getting him. All Glenville players go to OSU.

OSU is having a great class, but the class that Florida and USC is bringing in is sick. I believe SC has 7 five star commits so far with a solid chance at three more.

Florida landed the #1 recruit a few weeks back in Percy Harvin of Virginia Beach.

redsfan30
01-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Redsfan30, Ray Small is an absolute lock for Ohio State. Zero chance of USC getting him. All Glenville players go to OSU.
It is no secret that he is Ohio State all the way. But grades are a major, major concern with him. If he can't get through admissions he will not be a Buckeye.

It would not surprise me at all to see Ray verbal to Ohio State and sign a LOI on February 1. But it does not end there for him. He may very well sign without being admitted and this could turn into a Freddie Lenix situation from a year ago. Freddie signed with Ohio State knowing grades were bad and was forced to transfer to Cincinnati because he did not get through Ohio State's admissions.

Hopefully that doesn't happen with Small because he can add much needed depth on the corners at Ohio State. I'm just not holding my breath.

max venable
01-23-2006, 06:00 PM
From Steve Helwagen and Duane Long at bucknuts.com:

no matter how the rest of the class fills out between now and the actual day the seniors sign a letter of intent on Feb. 1, Ohio State fans already have a whole lot to be excited about. Whoever else they land from this point on should be considered merely a bonus.

With national signing day just around the corner, we are able to get a bird’s eye view of the 2006 recruiting class.
We will see what a deep class it was. Look at the schools that took Ohio talent this year. Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, Auburn and Notre Dame all came to Ohio in search of talent.

That also shows where Ohio State is in stature. There has been enough national success to ask the question, “Is Ohio State a national recruiting power?”

The fact that the staff could pass on players that drew some of the nation's heavyweights to Ohio answers that question. The other thing that will be remembered, possibly the most important thing, is the impact of more stringent academic standards. This class is surely top 10 and is at least in the discussion for top five. Thaddeus Gibson and Raymond Small are top 100 players. Derrell Johnson is a great player. What does the class look like if all three of them make it?

I think they make some good points.

OnBaseMachine
01-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Small officially commited to OSU within the last hour. OSU is recruiting him as a slot WR.

Heath
01-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Nothing against Roy Hall or Albert Dukes, but the Glenville Trio of Ginn, Small & Smith are going to really do some damage for the Buckeyes this year.

ochre
01-23-2006, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't count Dukes out. Small needs to enroll in OSU and make it through fall camp before I get excited about him. For as good as Glenville's been for OSU, the Hiley's and Lennix's are starting to add up.

max venable
01-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Looks like Larry Grant is going to commit to the Bucks as well. Once they land him...it's a top 5 class.

My man JT knows how to get it done.

By the way, Rivals.com has OSU listed as their preseason #1 for 2006:
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=502125

Go Bucks!

MWM
01-24-2006, 09:59 AM
I like the recruiting class, but I just don't see them being the best team in the country. They're losing 3 out of their defenseive linebackers and all 3 starting linebackers. I'm also concerned they're losing 2 offensive lineman who played really well most of last year. They're going to have some growing pains next year.

redsfan30
01-24-2006, 10:23 AM
I like the recruiting class, but I just don't see them being the best team in the country. They're losing 3 out of their defenseive linebackers and all 3 starting linebackers. I'm also concerned they're losing 2 offensive lineman who played really well most of last year. They're going to have some growing pains next year.
While I agree that the defense could struggle early due to lack of experiece, the projected D that they will field is extremely talented. I think their talent will make up for the lack of experience before it's all said and done.

The offense will not skip a beat, they might even be a tad more potent. Smith is really coming into his own and with the loss of Holmes, Ginn will get the ball in his hands more which is never a bad thing. Chris Wells could have a Maurice Clarett type impact next season if given the chance....he's that good, if not better than Maurice.

Unassisted
01-24-2006, 10:26 AM
I like the recruiting class, but I just don't see them being the best team in the country. They're losing 3 out of their defenseive linebackers and all 3 starting linebackers. I'm also concerned they're losing 2 offensive lineman who played really well most of last year. They're going to have some growing pains next year.I agree that I would rather they not be ranked #1 going into the season. That's a lot of pressure, given the number of new starters they'll be fielding at skill positions.

MWM
01-24-2006, 10:56 AM
If they can get by the Texas game, they might have a chance to run the table. But playing in Austin scares the hell out of me.

Roy Tucker
01-24-2006, 11:07 AM
If they can get by the Texas game, they might have a chance to run the table. But playing in Austin scares the hell out of me.
Me too. But at least Vince Young isn't there anymore. I had figured Vince would pull his Superman act yet again and pull out the game ala OSU and USC.

OSU's defense will be young and talented but will have to gel fast. How fast will be the key to the season.

max venable
01-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Here's a story on Josh Chichester. OSU pulled their scholarship offer due to academic concerns. While it stinks losing a top prospect like him, it's really not a huge loss because the Bucks are already very deep at WR.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/osu/daily/0128chichester.html

Unassisted
01-30-2006, 10:26 AM
It's really not a huge loss because the Bucks are already very deep at WR.Hopefully they can convert some of those WRs to DBs, since they lost 3 key players in the defensive backfield.

max venable
01-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Anybody heard anything about Larry Grant? Where does he stand? I'm hearing that he's most likely going to be a Buckeye but I haven't heard anything offical yet.

beb30
01-30-2006, 02:11 PM

OSU is having a great class, but the class that Florida and USC is bringing in is sick. I believe SC has 7 five star commits so far with a solid chance at three more.

Florida landed the #1 recruit a few weeks back in Percy Harvin of Virginia Beach.

Actually Florida State landed the #1 recruit in Myron Rolle who is a CB

right now tho Florida has the best recuriting class followed by USC, Texas, i forget 4th ranked but ND was #5

LoganBuck
01-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Depends who you ask about the #1 recruit. Some say Chris Wells, Percy Harvin, Myron Rolle, Mitch Mustain, or even Timmy Tebow.

StillFunkyB
01-30-2006, 06:02 PM
I am curious about this Wells feller. Can't wait to see him!

Heath
01-31-2006, 09:23 AM
I am curious about this Wells feller. Can't wait to see him!

He's Maurice Clarett without all the baggage and Clarett's questionable work ethic.

Kid's a stud. He'll be around for 3 years and declare early.

Although Ohio State's recuiting isn't number one all the time, the one constant is Jim Tressel recruiting Ohio guys to fit his system. He does get a few out of state folks, but his main focus is Ohio. When Ohio has a bad year, he will have a down year.

The last 4 years I will take as a Buckeyes fan.

redsfan30
01-31-2006, 11:09 AM
Anybody heard anything about Larry Grant? Where does he stand? I'm hearing that he's most likely going to be a Buckeye but I haven't heard anything offical yet.
Larry Grant committed to Ohio State this morning. He's officially in the fold.

max venable
01-31-2006, 01:23 PM
Grant is a HUGE commit! A job well done to JT and the boys. It's good to be a Buckeye fan right now!

max venable
01-31-2006, 01:31 PM
In looking at JT's recruiting class...what a great job he did at reloading the LB position. Four or five 4-star recruits there: Gibson, Grant, Homan, Johnson, Moeller. They're loaded at LB for years to come.

redsfan30
01-31-2006, 02:14 PM
I hope to see Mike D'Andrea, Marcus Freeman and Thaddeus Gibson/Larry Grant to start the year.

While there is the inexperience factor, there is a metric ton of talent in that group.

traderumor
01-31-2006, 02:55 PM
I hope to see Mike D'Andrea, Marcus Freeman and Thaddeus Gibson/Larry Grant to start the year.

While there is the inexperience factor, there is a metric ton of talent in that group.
Don't count out Laurenitis (sp?), the wrestler's kid from Minnesota, who filled in admirably during the Michigan game after Carpenter's injury

ochre
01-31-2006, 03:10 PM
John Kerr might sneak in there somewhere too.
The redshirt freshmen and young special teamers from this year will all probably be in the mix. They wouldn't be short on talent even without this great class. How that talent performs come game time is/was the issue. If he's healthy, I think Freeman's the only sure thing to start out of all of them.

max venable
01-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Everyone seems to be worried about the defense (losing 9 starters)...trust me, the defense will be just fine... I know it's overused but they truly will just "reload."

And the offense will put up some sick numbers in '06.

Should be another fun season!

:KoolAid:

Caseyfan21
01-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Everyone seems to be worried about the defense (losing 9 starters)...trust me, the defense will be just fine... I know it's overused but they truly will just "reload."

And the offense will put up some sick numbers in '06.

Should be another fun season!

:KoolAid:

The scary thing about the defense is many are saying it has the potential to be faster this year. There is a lot of quickness that can hopefully step in, especially in the secondary. At LB OSU should be fin with several capable players to fill the roll. There were rumors that D'Andrea might switch to D-line depending on his quickness. I think if he stepped in there he could almost be like a Kudla and line up in a linebacker position in some formations. The secondary is the only question mark. I would think Gonzalez or Ginn is going to have to play both ways at times but I sure hope an underclassman steps up and proves me wrong.

bucksfan
01-31-2006, 10:57 PM
John Kerr might sneak in there somewhere too.
The redshirt freshmen and young special teamers from this year will all probably be in the mix. They wouldn't be short on talent even without this great class. How that talent performs come game time is/was the issue. If he's healthy, I think Freeman's the only sure thing to start out of all of them.

I thought I read somedwhere about Kerr not even being on the 2-deep now possibly. I am thinking just o-zone message board, but still.... Lots can change in a short time though.

LoganBuck
01-31-2006, 11:21 PM
The difference between Ohio State and Indiana? John Kerr, an standout at Indiana, a benchwarmer, with issues at OSU. He was a solid contributer on special teams, and should provide quality depth. He just is an inch short and a step slow. Those are the breaks. In the games he did play mop up in this year, he was more of a pile jumper than a pile maker. I think Laurinitis is a much better player at this point.

ochre
02-01-2006, 10:11 AM
I thought I read somedwhere about Kerr not even being on the 2-deep now possibly. I am thinking just o-zone message board, but still.... Lots can change in a short time though.
could be. I think he gets in the doghouse a lot from what I've read. They seem to like to reward seniors in the end though, so who knows

traderumor
02-01-2006, 03:50 PM
So where does this class rank nationally, FWIW?

ochre
02-01-2006, 04:19 PM
10ish I think.

Red Leader
02-01-2006, 04:28 PM
OSU is currently ranked 12th. Michigan is 13th.

max venable
02-01-2006, 04:35 PM
I think they're 8th or 9th on Rivals.com. But that's not the main thing to look at. The main thing is to look at holes to fill and the kind of kids you're going after. With those criteria in mind, you have to give OSU an A+ for this year's class. Plus, they got the guy many believe to be the best recruit in the country (Chris Wells). They ended up with several guys that could have an imediate impact.

Red Leader
02-01-2006, 04:37 PM
http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?SID=880&Sport=1

traderumor
02-01-2006, 04:41 PM
I think they're 8th or 9th on Rivals.com. But that's not the main thing to look at. The main thing is to look at holes to fill and the kind of kids you're going after. With those criteria in mind, you have to give OSU an A+ for this year's class. Plus, they got the guy many believe to be the best recruit in the country (Chris Wells). They ended up with several guys that could have an imediate impact.Yea, I think that in the past, the class rankings have focused too much on quantity than quality, but its still good as a limited yardstick. They certainly are stockpiling. One thing that is good to see is that there are some studs in the classroom and guys starting early. It seems like JT is starting to get a little Dukeish in getting strong overall recruits instead of jocks. Of course, there is always the apprehension of saying that when I know there is likely 1 or 2 potential flunkouts or criminals in this class because of the nature of the beast :evil:

max venable
02-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Quote from JT about this year's class

MANSFIELD NEWS JOURNAL

Despite reeling in the nation's No. 1 running back prospect and arguably the best group of linebackers, the Buckeyes did not earn a consensus top 10 ranking. In most polls, they finished third in the Midwest behind Penn State and Notre Dame. Rivals.com ranked OSU 12th overall and Bill Kurelic of Midwest Football Recruiting News had the Buckeyes 10th.

The Buckeyes were downgraded for only landing two offensive linemen, though one of them is Cincinnati Colerain's Connor Smith, a Parade All-American and one of the top six linemen in the country.

"I don't have a whole lot consternation about it," Tressel said. "I've been here five years and can tell you exactly what our record was those five years. But I can't tell you where we ranked in recruiting. Having a top 10 class validates you a little bit, but until the players come in and do anything you're not truly validated."

BTW, ESPN's Scouts, Inc. has this year's Buckeye recruiting class ranked #7--best in the Big 10.

max venable
02-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Some additional points worth making:

1) Ohio State has seven Top 100 recruits, tied for second in the nation behind USC (11).

2) They have the nation’s #1 recruit (Chris Wells) and

3) They have the nation’s #1 fullback (Aram Olson) to block for him

4) Ten of 20 recruits are from out-of state this year with the geographical dispersion being two from Florida, three from California and one each from Georgia, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Indiana and Michigan

5) They had eight of the top ten recruits in Ohio.

Not only do the Buckeyes have great recruits, they also have recruited at the positions that need the help. That’s something that isn’t measured quite as readily in the overall rankings.

Only USC had more top-100s than OSU. OSU had 7 of 20 in the top 100. Then Grant was a 5-star JUCO and Ballard and Coleman were former top-100 picks. To me, that's the equivalent of 10 top-125 players. And they somehow end up ranked behind Auburn with 2 top-100 guys?

The Bucks got exactly who they wanted--and needed. And that's really all that matters.

OnBaseMachine
02-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Chris Wells is awesome. Reminds me so much of LenDale White.

OSU's class is very impressive. Seven top 100 prospects is very good but if you think that is impressive then check out USC's class. 14(!) top 100 prospects.

max venable
02-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Chris Wells is awesome. Reminds me so much of LenDale White.

OSU's class is very impressive. Seven top 100 prospects is very good but if you think that is impressive then check out USC's class. 14(!) top 100 prospects.
14 according to who? Everything I've read says they have 11. Still very impressive though.

OnBaseMachine
02-04-2006, 02:56 PM
14 on rivals.com and 13 on scout.com

Where are you getting your rankings from? I always use scout and rivals.

ochre
02-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Where is Hazelton going to end up? I thought he switched to PSU?

Caseyfan21
02-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Not only do the Buckeyes have great recruits, they also have recruited at the positions that need the help. Thatís something that isnít measured quite as readily in the overall rankings.

Only USC had more top-100s than OSU. OSU had 7 of 20 in the top 100. Then Grant was a 5-star JUCO and Ballard and Coleman were former top-100 picks. To me, that's the equivalent of 10 top-125 players. And they somehow end up ranked behind Auburn with 2 top-100 guys?

The Bucks got exactly who they wanted--and needed. And that's really all that matters.

They also have recruited a lot of good guys. I can't wait to see Jake Ballard next year, he will be a special player whether he ends up as TE or on defense. Sorry, shameless plug for a friend. :)

OnBaseMachine
02-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Where is Hazelton going to end up? I thought he switched to PSU?

USC. He has always favored SC but his dad wanted him to go to PSU. He(Vidal) faxed his LOI to USC on Wednesday but his dad refused to sign it because they had an argument on the phone two days prior to signing day. Vidal flew back to his home in New York for the weekend to talk things over with his dad. Word is his dad will sign the LOI and fax it to USC on Monday morning.