PDA

View Full Version : ‘Friends’ Returns to TV

savafan
01-23-2006, 11:56 AM
http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/id/3477372

HOLLYWOOD - Seminal sitcom Friends is returning to television after each of its six stars agreed multi-million dollar deals to star in four one-hour specials.
In a secret meeting before Christmas, Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, David Schwimmer and Matthew Perry reportedly agreed a $5 million apiece deal with NBC bosses in Los Angeles.

Scriptwriters have already started penning lines for the four double episodes, which are due to air next year.

Aniston, who has filmed a string of movies since the final Friends episode, was the last to agree to the new deal.

An NBC insider says, "She's the one who had been holding out. But she's now agreed to reprise Rachel (Green).

"Bringing them back is a dream come true. Ratings will go through the roof."

Network bosses have also hinted at a second spin-off of the hit comedy, following the disappointing performance of Matt LeBlanc's show Joey. The new program will see the three male stars--Perry, Schwimmer and LeBlanc--pilot a series called It's A Guy Thing.

An NBC spokesperson confirms, "Negotiations on future projects are going on all the time."

Puffy
01-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Is this true or is this one of them there hoax thingys?

KronoRed
01-23-2006, 12:12 PM
If this is true oh WOW is that sad.

It's only been a year..are they already that desperate? actors and NBC

Wait..I question this based on the further info about another spinoff.

savafan
01-23-2006, 12:19 PM
I heard this on Rich Walberg's Showbiz Stuff this AM on 700 WLW. Take that for what it is worth.

Caveat Emperor
01-23-2006, 12:23 PM
The half-hour sitcom format is totally dead, as far as I'm concerned. There hasn't been anyone writing anything remotely edgy or funny for live-action television since ABC canceled Dennis Leary's The Job a few years back, and the only thing keeping the genre from total death is the fact that some animated series like Family Guy continue to be entertaining.

It's all stale, and it's all been done to death. Trying to grab on to some last bit of nostalgia associated with "Friends" is just a desperate grab for ratings by NBC.

Still, 4 episodes would be three more than Courting Alex got.

RBA
01-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Looks like my prediction of "Joey" being canceled this year is right on the mark.

Puffy
01-23-2006, 12:29 PM

Actually Courting Alex starring Jenna Elfman debuts tonight.

I believe you are talking about Emily's Reasons Why Not which starred Heather Graham and was cancelled after only one episode.

Yes, I need a life.

savafan
01-23-2006, 12:30 PM

It's been canned already?

FWIW, I really like the show "How I Met Your Mother"

Shows like "Courting Alex" and "Emily's Reasons Why Not" that go up against Fox's "24" aren't going to stand a chance.

Dom Heffner
01-23-2006, 12:32 PM
You know you've seen enough sitcoms when you start predicting the punch lines of jokes before they happen. I dit hat like three times the other night while watching some lame sitcom.

I wih they'd hurry up and create something that will knowck off some of these lame-brained reality shows. Anything to do with dating or marrying is just awful, and then these people become celebrities just because they have blonde hair and really white teeth.

Dom Heffner
01-23-2006, 12:33 PM
If you try and edit your post after you've attempted to submit it, you'll end up double posting.

I'll get this computer thing down one day, I tell you. And then I'll rule the world. Bwahahahaha.....

Johnny Footstool
01-23-2006, 12:34 PM
The half-hour sitcom format is totally dead, as far as I'm concerned. There hasn't been anyone writing anything remotely edgy or funny for live-action television since ABC canceled Dennis Leary's The Job a few years back, and the only thing keeping the genre from total death is the fact that some animated series like Family Guy continue to be entertaining.

Arrested Development was edgy and funny. And Fox cancelled it.

But you're right about animated TV being the last bastion of good, funny comedy. Adult Swim shows like The Venture Brothers and The Boondocks prove that people can still write 30-minute episodic comedy that's edgy and entertaining.

Johnny Footstool
01-23-2006, 12:36 PM

That's the show where Jenna Elfman dances around in slow motion, right?

At least that's what the ads for the show would have me believe.

pedro
01-23-2006, 12:36 PM
How can a show be cancelled after one episode? That just seems moronic. However, since I did not see the show I don't know if the show itself was more moronic than the idea of cancelling after one episode.

Anyone watch it?

As for Friends, all I can say is Malibu is expensive.

Caveat Emperor
01-23-2006, 12:39 PM

I believe you are talking about Emily's Reasons Why Not which starred Heather Graham and was cancelled after only one episode.

Yes, I need a life.

Eh, interchangable shows as far as I'm concerned. Both sets of commercials for the shows seemed specifically designed to induce me into unloading both barreles of a 12 guage shotgun into my temple.

That's actually my biggest pet peeve about watching football on television: being subject to all of the previews and live-reads about shows that the networks couldn't pay me to watch.

Emily's Reasons Why Not, Courting Alex, Love Monkey...watching the NFL forces one to endure a brow-beating of syngergystic advertisement for moronic sitcoms. As if watching a Bucs game isn't stressful enough...

Joseph
01-23-2006, 12:41 PM
I was sure this had to be a joke.

Someone tell me it's a joke.

Please.

deltachi8
01-23-2006, 01:30 PM
NBC is desperate, we know that. Are the actors that much so as well? Anniston and Perry have had some large screen success and Anniston is actually pretty good outside of the show.

I stopped watching the show years ago and honestly dont know how it ended.

RFS62
01-23-2006, 01:31 PM
I stopped watching the show years ago and honestly dont know how it ended.

I believe they all went to jail.

deltachi8
01-23-2006, 01:33 PM

ok, a better idea then, a female prision movie staring Jennifer Anniston....

savafan
01-23-2006, 02:09 PM

That was Seinfeld.

I'm having a hard time with the second spin-off idea centering around the three male characters. With Ross and Rachel back together and Monica and Chandler married, how can the SOs not be in the show?

pedro
01-23-2006, 02:17 PM
That was Seinfeld.

I'm having a hard time with the second spin-off idea centering around the three male characters. With Ross and Rachel back together and Monica and Chandler married, how can the SOs not be in the show?

They die in a tragic escalator accident while shopping at Neiman Marcus.

westofyou
01-23-2006, 02:20 PM
They die in a tragic escalator accident while shopping at Neiman Marcus.
They all die of botox poison in a room full of mirrors.

RFS62
01-23-2006, 02:20 PM
That was Seinfeld.

Sorry dude, you're wrong.

They went to jail, and now they're being brought back in that jail break FOX series.

Seinfield didn't go to jail, he's got a bar in Boston now.

MWM
01-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Arrested Development was edgy and funny. And Fox cancelled it.

It's too bad because that show was genius and innovative but couldn't seem to find an audience. I think the problem is that no one has a lot of patience for a 30 minute sitcom where you have to follow the story. If you weren't watching it in the beginning, a lot of Howard's narrations and story lines don't make a lot of sense. That's a show you have to get to know the characters and their history to appreciate.

RFS62
01-23-2006, 05:40 PM
It's too bad because that show was genius and innovative but couldn't seem to find an audience. I think the problem is that no one has a lot of patience for a 30 minute sitcom where you have to follow the story. If you weren't watching it in the beginning, a lot of Howard's narrations and story lines don't make a lot of sense. That's a show you have to get to know the characters and their history to appreciate.

Exactly. You had to think to appreciate that show. I thought it was brilliant.

Puffy
01-23-2006, 05:43 PM
They are in talks with Showtime to move Arrested Development there. That would free them up a little too, to get a little more edgy (in a Larry David type way)

Johnny Footstool
01-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Arrested D was well on its way to establishing an audience on Thursdays. Then Fox decided to move it to...I don't even know when. Mondays?

My guess is that the show got too expensive too soon and Fox didn't want to wait for the audience to develop.

KronoRed
01-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Breaking all of them up would be a nice way to give the finger to previous fans of the show.

Referring to them always off screen would be super lame.

LoganBuck
01-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Perhaps they could off Rachel and Monica with poison envelop glue.

Big Donkey
01-24-2006, 12:53 AM
Arrested D was well on its way to establishing an audience on Thursdays. Then Fox decided to move it to...I don't even know when. Mondays?

My guess is that the show got too expensive too soon and Fox didn't want to wait for the audience to develop.

You got it. It was first moved to Sunday, then moved to Monday where it languished and died while FOX sat back and heavily promoted "Stacked" and "Who Wants To Marry An Iceskating Midget" and shows of the like during the MLB playoffs and nary a word was ever said on "Arrested Development".

The show is an expensive production, moreso than the average 30-minute show on network television, you got that right. The good news is that Showtime is very interested in it and ABC is lately showing interest in picking it up as well. I am very hopeful one of them picks it up.

savafan
01-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Well, if you believe Access Hollywood, it's not true. Then again, Access Hollywood isn't the most reliable source for news either, so who knows:

http://www.accesshollywood.com/entertainment/6371300/detail.html?rss=ah&psp=news

Are everyone's favorite "Friends" ready to return to TV?

Rumors were swirling over the weekend about a "Friends" revival on NBC.

According to published reports, each of the show's six stars had agreed to multi-million dollar deals to star in four one-hour episodes.

Some articles even went as far as to say that scripts were already being written.

However, Access Hollywood has learned that those reports are completely false.

"Not one ounce of truth," Jeff Zucker, CEO of NBC Universal Television Group, told Access of the rumors.

There were also rumblings of an all-male spin-off show starring David Schwimmer, Matthew Perry and Matt LeBlanc. But yet again, nothing more than false reports.

"Friends" ended its 10-year run back in May 2004. More than 52 million fans tuned in to the series finale.

KronoRed
01-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Thought it sounded hokey

REDREAD
01-26-2006, 02:52 PM
thank goodness we've been spared a Friends comeback.

Although I will say that LaBlanc was a genius to realize that without "Friends", he's nothing. That was genius to sign that 2 year deal for "Joey" at 2 million/episode.

I remember seeing LaBlanc on at least one short lived sitcom before "Friends".. the guy was smart to milk his fame from "Friends" one last time.

pedro
01-26-2006, 03:05 PM
wrong thread...