PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Mr. Castellini

RFS62
01-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Thank you, Mr. Castellini.

You've done more in 4 days to restore hope to Reds fans everywhere than I've seen done in 4 years.

You're obviously a man of action, and we love that.

You bought yourself a lot of chips today. You showed that your talk isn't cheap.

We don't ask much. We know it's tough running a middle market team.

Just show us you care. Show us it matters. Show us that you love the Reds just as much as we do.

You've done that in spades so far.

Thank you.

I promise I'll eat my vegetables from now on.

:beerme:

Puffy
01-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Thank you, Mr. Castellini.

You've done more in 4 days to restore hope to Reds fans everywhere than I've seen done in 4 years.

You're obviously a man of action, and we love that.

You bought yourself a lot of chips today. You showed that your talk isn't cheap.

We don't ask much. We know it's tough running a middle market team.

Just show us you care. Show us it matters. Show us that you love the Reds just as much as we do.

You've done that in spades so far.

Thank you.

I promise I'll eat my vegetables from now on.

:beerme:

brown-noser. He's not really reading the board, you kiss up

:mooner:

But I agree with every word you said :beerme:

RFS62
01-23-2006, 04:28 PM
brown-noser. He's not really reading the board, you kiss up

You'd better hope he's not, punk.

:p:

guttle11
01-23-2006, 04:37 PM
The Bengals can wait.

THE REDS ARE BACK, BABY!!!

max venable
01-23-2006, 04:52 PM
From a business perspective, it makes a ton of sense. Mr. C needed to let his customers know that he means business. Leaving DanO in the job for much longer would send a message that, yes, there's a new owner but things are status quo...same old Front Office. This was an easy move, IMO, from a PR standpoint.

I mean, holy smokes, are you listening to WLW? Looks at this forum. People are talking about the Reds for a change. Mr. C created a buzz by doing the one, simple thing that fans have been clamoring for.

Heath
01-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Next up, Adam Dunn and an LTC & outright release of Rich Aurilia will make my day.

iaredsfan
01-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Might this be another opportunity, or enticement, to get Lou Piniella to return to the Reds?

dougdirt
01-23-2006, 05:13 PM
health, why would you want an outright release of the guy who led the team in average with runners in scoring position last year? He hit .343 with RISP, and he can play backup to EE, Lopez and whoever plays at second base.

Strikes Out Looking
01-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Because the guy isn't very good defensively and demands to play in front of young players who have an upside (Ed E, Freel, Begolla). And it is money that could be spent more wisely on something the Reds don't have...pitching.

dougdirt
01-23-2006, 05:22 PM
He can demand all he wants this year, I dont think he will be playing in front of Freel or Edwin. He is good coming off the bench though or giving a guy a day of rest. Plus, what are you going to spend his money on at this point in the offseason?

WVRed
01-23-2006, 05:39 PM
He can demand all he wants this year, I dont think he will be playing in front of Freel or Edwin. He is good coming off the bench though or giving a guy a day of rest. Plus, what are you going to spend his money on at this point in the offseason?

Well, he can start in AAA.:)

Heath
01-23-2006, 05:46 PM

Doug - why sign him back when you traded for Womack? It seems redundant to say the least. Before today - and I'm not sure that it might change due to Narron's comments the other day - EdE could hit lights out and he'd be on the bus to Louisville. Plus, with his whiney attitude and "veteran precence", I don't want that on the team. While his statistics look good, he couldn't hit a barn on the road.

The other telling factor is that 29 other teams passed on him this off-season. Obviously if he was so good as he thought he was, someone would have picked him up.

Just because there is $1.3 Million laying around burning a hole in a pocket, doesn't mean you have to spend it. Especially on Richie.

Unassisted
01-23-2006, 07:13 PM
I was unimpressed by Friday's presser.

I was impressed with today's action.

I hope to be impressed by the choice for the next GM.

MWM
01-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Because BA RISP is pretty much a useless measure of offensive contribution. But let's not rehash that whole debate here. We have several LONG threads discussing it in detail.

wheels
01-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Because BA RISP is pretty much a useless measure of offensive contribution. But let's not rehash that whole debate here. We have several LONG threads discussing it in detail.

Yuppity yup yup.

Caveat Emperor
01-23-2006, 07:26 PM

Today is a day of CELEBRATION! No messy stats today. :thumbup:

Sean_CaseyRules
01-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Once agian, the Reds fans have hope!

NewEraReds
01-23-2006, 08:23 PM
like ive been trying to say, just be patient with this guy, he knows what he was doing. people got all up in arms when he didnt fire him day one. well he didnt want the attention on something like that. he wanted it on the reds, on all good and positive things and all about the reds and not about 1 guy, the gm

steig
01-23-2006, 08:34 PM
we have been given hope, we can now start the new season with something significantly more than we have started the last several seasons.

Nugget
01-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Doug - why sign him back when you traded for Womack? It seems redundant to say the least. Before today - and I'm not sure that it might change due to Narron's comments the other day - EdE could hit lights out and he'd be on the bus to Louisville. Plus, with his whiney attitude and "veteran precence", I don't want that on the team. While his statistics look good, he couldn't hit a barn on the road.

The other telling factor is that 29 other teams passed on him this off-season. Obviously if he was so good as he thought he was, someone would have picked him up.

Just because there is $1.3 Million laying around burning a hole in a pocket, doesn't mean you have to spend it. Especially on Richie.

Uh Womack plays second base and they have no cover for third. As good as EE is potential wise he has only had limited MLB time and has shown that there are some deficiencies in his game so that he may not be an everyday 3B yet. There is no cover at AA and I don't think moving Lopez to cover and having Olmedo at SS is any better. Lopez has proven that he is an everyday SS at should have that position tied up.

Also if you read Dunn's interview with Marc Lancaster he says that he is only "trying" the move to 1B. so obviously cover may be needed there if he decides the move doesn't work. There is no way WMP gets to play infield.

Heath
01-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Uh Womack plays second base and they have no cover for third. As good as EE is potential wise he has only had limited MLB time and has shown that there are some deficiencies in his game so that he may not be an everyday 3B yet. There is no cover at AA and I don't think moving Lopez to cover and having Olmedo at SS is any better. Lopez has proven that he is an everyday SS at should have that position tied up.

Also if you read Dunn's interview with Marc Lancaster he says that he is only "trying" the move to 1B. so obviously cover may be needed there if he decides the move doesn't work. There is no way WMP gets to play infield.

I never did say that Womack played third. Or he should play third.

This is the 2006 Cincinnati Reds. This is not a playoff team, UNLESS, stars align.

EdE is a young, potential stud at 3rd base a la Mike Schmidt. Dude can rake. He's proved it in all levels of the minor leagues. This isn't some Brandon Larson-AAAA one-hit wonder.

I've said this on NUMEROUS occasions. You don't know what you've got until you find out. You gotta find out if this kid is Mike Schmidt or Kelly Paris.

He has to play everyday. The Reds will gloat when he makes plays at third that save runs or extra base hits. The Reds will have growing pains when the four-hopper hit to his glove side is fielded cleanly and tags the beer vendor in the 4th row with his throw. He will strikeout a lot, but he will hit for power and hit lots of doubles. He will learn fielding techniques and hitting procedures that will make him a better baseball player.

Watching the defensive liability that is a statue of Rich Aurilia is NOT beneficial to the growth of EdE and to the benefit of the Cincinnati Reds.

I believe that EdE has the work ethic and the potential to be solid, if not a spectacular long-range 3b for this franchise. With apologies to Heinie Groh & Chris Sabo, and the rent-a-players that this franchise brought in (Werber, Hatton, Freese, Johnson, Bell, Fernandez, Randa, et.al) besides the two stars that played out-of-position (Rose & Bench) EdE could be the best natural 3rd baseman that this town has seen.

You can file that in the predictions thread.

However - I will be the first person to be man enough, when EdE lacks the work ethic or stuggles over an extended period of time (and probably one season isn't going to hack it for me - since Mike Schmidt had an awful first year as a rookie) that he turns out to be mud - you can rub it in my face.

Its that same sort of narrow-mindedness that has permeated this franchise for the last 15 or so years. Let the Kid play.

Apologies to everyone who thought this thread was about Mr. Castellini's thank you letters. I'm an EdE backer. Sorry.

Nugget
01-23-2006, 10:45 PM
I agree EE has talent and could go far. But the REDS would be remiss not to have someone as backup. They would not bring back Randa as he would more than likely not sit on the bench but they have to have someone. If EE just doesn't hack it and needs to go back to AAA (as Kearns did last year) they just don't have anyone. The same as in 1B. I'm just saying that having RA on the roster is a necessary evil given that the REDS have no established players on the corner infield and no designated replacements in AAA.

Maybe if they signed Helms or other like utilities they wouldn't have brought back RA but given the contracts being handed out RA was not expensive.

Heath
01-23-2006, 10:55 PM
I agree EE has talent and could go far. But the REDS would be remiss not to have someone as backup. They would not bring back Randa as he would more than likely not sit on the bench but they have to have someone. If EE just doesn't hack it and needs to go back to AAA (as Kearns did last year) they just don't have anyone. The same as in 1B. I'm just saying that having RA on the roster is a necessary evil given that the REDS have no established players on the corner infield and no designated replacements in AAA.

Maybe if they signed Helms or other like utilities they wouldn't have brought back RA but given the contracts being handed out RA was not expensive.

Great. Let's say EdE screws up royally.

He goes say 2 for 80.

You slide Freel to 3rd - who probably would be less likely to beaten up since he's a Utility type anyway. Womack gets his wish and plays everyday and OBP's less than the price of gold per ounce.

Call up an Olmedo or Bergolla to be the utility infielder. Denorfia's the back-up in the OF with Jacob Cruz.

Tell me where Rich Aurilia fits in. He doesn't. He's not gonna translate 20-40 extra wins for this ball club.

Might as well take the 1.3 million and bury it. Or give it to Raisor or jmmclain. They just got married and can use the cash.

One more point to hammer home. 29 other teams passed on Rich Aurilia. TWENTY-NINE. I think the Edmonton Oilers passed on him. If he was so darn valuable and so darn good, wouldn't there have been some type of market for him? There wasn't, so RA heads to Cincinnati with fake contracts and pictures and sweet talks our former GM in to a ONE YEAR MAJOR LEAGUE deal...not some minor league - invite to camp.

Nugget - 'preciate the thoughts - but you gotta take the lumps that EdE brings to the table. This is the year to do it.

On edit - I would agree that Wes Helms would have been a better fit. One, he plays both corner positions. Two, he realizes that he is a PH/Role Player that will sub out Dunn and EdE each week. Three-he also agrees that he is the roleplayer and will not whine or complain to the press when his feelings are hurt. Four - he would have cost the same 1.3 that RA cost - and I would argue that he would be more productive.

KronoRed
01-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Tell me where Rich Aurilia fits in. He doesn't.
Word.

With Womack already on board why did we need Rich? now..if we hadn't had Womacl that I would have been OK with it..but my fear, and it's still there because Narron is still the manager, is that Rich and Womack are going to play EVERY FREAKING DAY because they are vets, EE will rot on the bench unless he hits 5 HRs in one day and we'll waste a prospect, a commodity we don't have many of.

Heath
01-23-2006, 11:57 PM
BTW - apologies to Tony Perez, the best 3rd baseman that I forgot to mention in the above thread.

One forgets he manned the hot corner from 67-71.

Here comes the referee - i'm going to get a 2 minute penalty for "losing my head".

Power Play time.