PDA

View Full Version : With Dan'O out is Griffey next?

reds44
01-23-2006, 05:39 PM
What are evryones thoughts? The new owner hasn't taken much time to establish himself, and it seemed as if we were close to trading Jr. before, so is he next to be gone?

Big Klu
01-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Griffey cannot be traded without his explicit permission.

Heath
01-23-2006, 05:50 PM
I think Griffey & Castellini is going to be like Larkin & Lindner.

IMO.

westofyou
01-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Move him to the corner and then they can worry about ever moving him to another team.

Reds4Life
01-23-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't think Jr isn't going anywhere, especially if the Reds hire Piniella. Lou and Griff are pretty friendly, if Lou is a part of this franchise Griffey will retire a Red IMO.

CrackerJack
01-23-2006, 05:52 PM
I suspect there'll be a lot of changes between now and this time next year - on and off the field...but not until a new GM is named/hired.

Can't imagine Jr. going anywhere though, any time soon, which is fine with me - one of the few reasons people still go to games down here.

Puffy
01-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Move him to the corner and then they can worry about ever moving him to another team.

What he said. Although I am more in the camp of move him to a corner and nothing else. The Reds offense if infinitely better with Junior in there as he protects the whole lineup.

But his defense in center needs to be addessed pronto. Corner outfield is the way to go.

Unassisted
01-23-2006, 06:13 PM
It wasn't Dan O'Brien's doing that brought Griffey to town. I don't see a linkage between the two.

Falls City Beer
01-23-2006, 06:14 PM
It wasn't Dan O'Brien's doing that brought Griffey to town. I don't see a linkage between the two.

Right. The question seems like something of a nonsequitur. But I'd sure like to have Griffey's salary space.

membengal
01-23-2006, 06:18 PM
I am guessing the link is more in the "everything is subject to re-evaluation with new management" vein.

And, unless they are blown away with an offer early, they should, once again, wait. Hopefully Jr. has good early health again, rewards us all with a hot first four months, and pumps his trade value back up.

As before on threads like this, I love Jr., but want to get something for him while getting payroll relief, if at all possible.

Unassisted
01-23-2006, 07:20 PM
If we're tossing out non-sequiturs, let's ask if Marty is next. I think there would be more takers on the board for that move than unloading Griffey, particularly if the deal for Griffey includes paying a big chunk of his salary.

And before you ask, I did notice who emceed the presser. ;)

TOBTTReds
01-23-2006, 08:00 PM
I heard rumors that Griffey was going once Cast took over (from an unreliable source, so really little validity). I would like him to stay if he moves to the corner. Hopefully who ever comes in will realize that he would be a lot less effective (for the other team) in a COF spot.

Kc61
01-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Folks, everyone is up for grabs, everyone on the roster. The team lost 89 games. A new GM may conclude that Griffey, or Kearns, or Larue, or Pena, or even Dunn or Lopez should be moved.

This is not a disaster. None of these players is Babe Ruth (and even he got traded a few times). The key is how the team is reconstructed.

One year from now this roster will probably have been dramatically overhauled. I, for one, can't wait.

knuckler
01-23-2006, 08:45 PM
If we're tossing out non-sequiturs, let's ask if Marty is next. I think there would be more takers on the board for that move than unloading Griffey, particularly if the deal for Griffey includes paying a big chunk of his salary.

And before you ask, I did notice who emceed the presser. ;)

I also noticed that Nuxhall was invited to do more games next year. I have to admit I LOVE that move, even if it isn't very specific. Just the thought of hearing Nuxy's voice on the radio makes me smile. So Cast has done at least TWO things I wholeheartedly approve of so far!

KronoRed
01-23-2006, 11:04 PM
If we're tossing out non-sequiturs, let's ask if Marty is next.
Who can we get for him? :devil:

Steve and Joe is pretty nice, with Steve doing all the PBP and Joe chiming in.

WVRedsFan
01-24-2006, 01:50 AM
I heard rumors that Griffey was going once Cast took over (from an unreliable source, so really little validity). I would like him to stay if he moves to the corner. Hopefully who ever comes in will realize that he would be a lot less effective (for the other team) in a COF spot.

Only with Junior's permission.

The question to ask is who could play center field in this organization that could produce runs like Junior. No one. Who could field well enough to justify losing that run production? No one. Who could fill the stands better than Junior? No one.

Let's face it. No one is going to take on that monster contract unless the Reds give up money to make this 35-36 year old attractive to another club. If we're going to spend 9-10 million anyway, let's keep him and let him retire in Cincinnati. Besides, if Castellini is the vintage Reds fan he claims to be, he is a Ken Sr. fan. It's tough to give away one of the icons of the franchise's son.

My guess is that nothing much will happen until mid-summer on the trade front. Then, I think you'll see lots of fodder that the past administration brought in to pitch going away in favor of kids. And next off-season the moves will be made and you'll need a whole new scorecard.

Krusty
01-24-2006, 01:53 AM
Here is my suggestion:

Beat Boston to the punch and offer Willy Mo Pena to Cleveland for OF Coco Crisp. Shift Griffey to LF with Crisp in center.

WVRedsFan
01-24-2006, 01:59 AM
Here is my suggestion:

Beat Boston to the punch and offer Willy Mo Pena to Cleveland for OF Coco Crisp. Shift Griffey to LF with Crisp in center.

That would be alright, but I'm not convinced that Crisp is the real deal. His minor league statistics are underwhelming and Willy Mo has a bigger upside. If you trade WMP for anyone, it should be pitching.

KronoRed
01-24-2006, 02:28 AM
Indians would probably not do that deal.

kheidg-
01-24-2006, 02:34 AM
Right. The question seems like something of a nonsequitur. But I'd sure like to have Griffey's salary space.

Which in today's market won't even get you a Morris and a couple of Aurilia's.

REDJAKE
01-24-2006, 10:41 AM
We need more Griffey types not less,GO CINCY!!!!

Puffy
01-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Forget Crisp - get Joey Gathright. He'll come cheaper, give us more speed and play great defense.

The Reds need pitching, but they need defense almost as much (a good defense will make a bad pitching staff more tolerable)