PDA

View Full Version : First Post Dan O Move

westofyou
01-23-2006, 07:51 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

There is one immediate addition to the staff, though: former Orioles co-general manager Jim Beattie will come aboard this week as a special adviser. His charge, according to Castellini, will be to evaluate strictly the pitching side of the Reds' system, "from soup to nuts," and make recommendations there. Beattie also should be a strong candidate for the full-time GM job.

RFS62
01-23-2006, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him end up as GM.

wheels
01-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Any thoughts on Beattie?

TOBTTReds
01-23-2006, 07:55 PM
This is outstanding. This move might not help the team greatly, or at all. But I like effort. That is one thing our past owner and GM did not have. Although Cast kept saying things about the glass half-full, he is taking the half empty approach so far (which I like) and is really looking at the sour spots of this team. Hopefully his efforts pay off.

As of two business day into the job, he cares a lot about this franchise.

Chip R
01-23-2006, 07:57 PM
I think I can guess what Beattie's report will have to say: Back Up The Truck.

Aronchis
01-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Wasn't Beattie the Expos GM in the late 90's?

pedro
01-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Wasn't Beattie the Expos GM in the late 90's?

IIRC.

westofyou
01-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Jim Beattie
DOB: 7/4/1954
College: Dartmouth

Year Team Title Function
1990 Seattle Mariners Farm Director
Farm Director
1991 Seattle Mariners Director of Player Development
Director of Player Development
1992 Seattle Mariners Director of Player Development
1993 Seattle Mariners Farm Director
Farm Director
1994 Seattle Mariners Director of Player Development
1995 Seattle Mariners Director of Player Development
1996 Montreal Expos Vice President and General Manager
(Hired 10/27/95) General Manager
1997 Montreal Expos Vice President and General Manager
General Manager
1998 Montreal Expos Vice President and General Manager
General Manager
1999 Montreal Expos Vice President and General Manager
General Manager
2000 Montreal Expos Vice President and General Manager
General Manager
2001 Montreal Expos Vice President and General Manager
General Manager
2003 Baltimore Orioles Executive VP, Baseball Operations
(Named Co-GM 12/4/02) General Manager
2004 Baltimore Orioles Executive VP, Baseball Operations
(Co-GM) General Manager
2005 Baltimore Orioles Executive VP, Baseball Operations
(Co-GM; fired 10/11/05) General Manage

RedsIn07
01-23-2006, 08:17 PM
http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/june99/beattie.html
http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/images/I36746-2005Feb18L
On the right.

corkedbat
01-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I wasn't too thrilled with Mr. C this time last night, but with Dan0 axed, Allen neutered, Narron looking over his shoulder, ducking whizzing bases and now an outsider brought in to evaluate the orgnization's pitching developmental system, I feeling a mite more charitable towards him. Only time will tell how effective it will all be, but at least it ain't boring no mo. :D

Reds4Life
01-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Beattie's time with the M's is interesting, that means he's worked with Lou Piniella before.

RedsBaron
01-23-2006, 08:54 PM
I wasn't too thrilled with Mr. C this time last night, but with Dan0 axed, Allen neutered, Narron looking over his shoulder, ducking whizzing bases and now an outsider brought in to evaluate the orgnization's pitching developmental system, I feeling a mite more charitable towards him. Only time will tell how effective it will all be, but at least it ain't boring no mo. :D
One thing I really like is that Mr. C is demanding accountability. I still recall the statement attributed to Danny Graves last year when he assured Eric Milton that he would like it in Cincinnati because of the lack of pressure. It appears that there now will be some pressure to perform. That's good.

Reds4Life
01-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Beattie's stats as a GM aren't really all that impressive. His combined record is 657-801 (.4506) and his best finish was 2nd in 1996 with the Expos. The 96' Expos won 88 games that year, the most Beattie ever had a GM, his worst record was 65-97 with the Expos in 1998.

CrackerJack
01-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Lou Pinella will be the Reds' manager next year

Someone from the Cardinals or Kuhlman will end up as GM

Players will be swept out the door once the season is lost in the standings

The players will tolerate this year even though it's already pretty much written-off, because they know things are changing for the better in 2007 and beyond, and it's "not just talk" as Kearns put it.

I just hope it doesn't make for distractions and dissention this year in the clubhouse.

The most encouraging thing out of Castellini's mouth was his Sabre reference at the end of the speech.

Good move to at least recognize the disastorous state the pitching here is in, and go after the problem immediately, will see what comes of it I suppose.

red-in-la
01-23-2006, 09:08 PM
I just hope the first move isn't to move the most skilled ballplayer in the Reds organization....that would Mr. Kearns.

I would only move Austin if he still hasn't figured out that staying in shape 365 is as important as hitting .300 during the season.

15fan
01-23-2006, 09:29 PM
His charge, according to Castellini, will be to evaluate strictly the pitching side of the Reds' system, "from soup to nuts," and make recommendations there.

That shouldn't take much time to evaluate the "system". How many bona fide arms are there in the entire system from Rookie ball to the ML roster? A half dozen?

Beattie should have that job done by lunch on his first day.

Team Clark
01-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Great job in bringing in Beattie and THEN interviewing the prerequisite candidates according to MLB rules. Beattie will have a leg up and eventually be the GM. Neat little trick that could actually yield results.

Reds4Life
01-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Great job in bringing in Beattie and THEN interviewing the prerequisite candidates according to MLB rules. Beattie will have a leg up and eventually be the GM. Neat little trick that could actually yield results.

From what I've seen of his resume I'm not impressed.

Aronchis
01-23-2006, 09:36 PM

You gotta be kidding me. If Cast hires Beattie, it will be like groundhog day all over again and I won't have a new owner to still have that glimmer of hope. Geez. :bang:

Neo
01-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Now is the time to evaluate next years Free Agents.

CrackerJack
01-23-2006, 10:01 PM
What's Beattie's connection to Castellini exactly?

Heath
01-23-2006, 10:16 PM
What's Beattie's connection to Castellini exactly?

Its an Oriole Thing.

Falls City Beer
01-23-2006, 10:22 PM
I'm thinking that bringing in Beattie doesn't necessarily bode well for him ascending to the GMship. In fact, maybe the opposite. But we're still waiting for a huge shoe to drop.

Redmachine2003
01-23-2006, 10:24 PM
I think Castellini is a man of action and wants someone in the GM spot that can make things happen. DanO seemed to be to slow to do that and looking at Beattie's record I am not sure if he is that type of GM all though the Expos had very good minor league system for years under him, they just could afford to keep them once they hit arb. years. Jimbo could make things happen but he was to much in to retreads and 5 tool players that never lived up to their billings. Kullman was showed some things when he helped replace Jimbo but it is such a small sample size. It sounds like Kullman has 3 weeks to show what he's got again.

Topcat
01-23-2006, 10:53 PM
You gotta be kidding me. If Cast hires Beattie, it will be like groundhog day all over again and I won't have a new owner to still have that glimmer of hope. Geez. :bang:

All beattie has ever had to work with is also rans. orioles had no shot andyet have developed some good young kids, The expos your kidding right? The man can not truly be disregarded just by the fact he never really has had a team that had the reds power all the Reds need now is like 4 pitchers of capable ability and in time that is doable.

KronoRed
01-23-2006, 11:02 PM
From what I've seen of his resume I'm not impressed.
Nor am I, but at this point I'm ready to see what anyone else can do.

Heath
01-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Looking at the record - it isn't as bad as it seems.

early 90's with the Mariners - they got good in the middle of the decade. 95 AL runner-ups. I'll have to do some reading if there were some "homegrown" talent on that ball club.

I'd probably wipe out the Montreal years. He probably learned how to clip coupons. Or trade for good minor leaguers and some cash. Probably learned to sell players to the highest bidder.

In Baltimore, he learned to waste money, manage a front office directed by a certified loony of an owner who is baseball's version of Al Davis, plus work side by side with an Oriole Legend (in his own mind).

I'm with Krono. There are worse people to hire. And one is Dan O'Brien.

westofyou
01-23-2006, 11:16 PM
.447 winning percentage at Montreal, the Reds during that span was .494.

4 of those years were under 1 million, some are freaking horrible 773,277, 642,745.

That's a team with NO money, the Reds were rich in comparison and yet they were still losers.

Reds4Life
01-23-2006, 11:21 PM
.447 winning percentage at Montreal, the Reds during that span was .494.

4 of those years were under 1 million, some are freaking horrible 773,277, 642,745.

That's a team with NO money, the Reds were rich in comparison and yet they were still losers.

I'll admit it's hard to hold anything against him re: the Expos because of the payroll issue. He had the cash with the O's though, but Angelos is crazy, so it's hard to say.

Have you done any research on his drafts?

PressBox
01-23-2006, 11:34 PM
My sense on Bob at this point is that he isn't going to make hiring decisions based upon who he already knows from his previous experience in baseball. Like he said on Friday, he wants to get the right person in the right position - and the implicit other half of that statement (IMO) is that it doesn't matter where that person comes from or how you knew them before. You don't enjoy success in corporate America by hiring and re-hiring your friends. If that's how Bob operated, he would have fired Jerry Narron and John Allen today as well. For that matter, I'm not sure what other connections he would have with Lou Piniella, but there's no secret Bob wants Lou on his staff. Did Bob hold stake in the Reds during Lou's time...? In either case, my 2 cents say that Sweet Lou will be managing Cincy again in 2007.

As for the GM position, my vote goes to Krivsky. From what I've heard of him, I think he might have more media savvy than DePodesta; DePo's lack of communication and people skills is supposedly what led to his firing in LA. All indications are that Bob will want the GM to be more of a public face.

BrooklynRedz
01-24-2006, 12:20 AM
While it may give Beattie a leg up on the GM process, I don't see him getting that nod. I could see him move into the Player Dev role, however...especially since he's been tasked with evaluating the pitching side of the organization. When you take over a club, you only get so many rounds in that pistol. You want to waste one of those feel-good days on announcing you've hired the special assistant? Not if said special assistant is fresh off a less-than-inspired tenure with the O's.

Falls City Beer
01-24-2006, 12:22 AM
While it may give Beattie a leg up on the GM process, I don't see him getting that nod. I could see him move into the Player Dev role, however...especially since he's been tasked with evaluating the pitching side of the organization. When you take over a club, you only get so many rounds in that pistol. You want to waste one of those feel-good days on announcing you've hired the special assistant? Not if said special assistant is fresh off a less-than-inspired tenure with the O's.

My take too. It looks like it's going to be someone slightly more in demand.

Reds4Life
01-24-2006, 12:56 AM

The question is would someone like DePodesta get an interview here, and would he be willing to work here? Based on some accounts the guy had a little bit of an arrogance problem while interviewing for jobs before he ended up with LA. He flat out refused to interview with some clubs according to some. Perhaps his little LA venture proved to be humbling.

BrooklynRedz
01-24-2006, 01:19 AM
The question is would someone like DePodesta get an interview here, and would he be willing to work here? Based on some accounts the guy had a little bit of an arrogance problem while interviewing for jobs before he ended up with LA. He flat out refused to interview with some clubs according to some. Perhaps his little LA venture proved to be humbling.

I work with a guy who goes back a way with DePo. I got a chance to speak with him last week and asked jokingly, "Hey, any chance he would have any interest in the Reds' job?" He said he didn't think so, but that you never know. And when I brought up the rumors of arrogance/communications in LA, my co-worker, who had a pretty good look at it, said he never could understand where that stuff came from. Said while behind doors it could have very well been true, if so it would have been completely against character. Hinted that the highly dysfunctional Dodger front office (and the distrust that spurs) had more to do with the lack of communication.

MWM
01-24-2006, 01:27 AM
I work with a guy who goes back a way with DePo. I got a chance to speak with him last week and asked jokingly, "Hey, any chance he would have any interest in the Reds' job?" He said he didn't think so, but that you never know. And when I brought up the rumors of arrogance/communications in LA, my co-worker, who had a pretty good look at it, said he never could understand where that stuff came from. Said while behind doors it could have very well been true, if so it would have been completely against character. Hinted that the highly dysfunctional Dodger front office (and the distrust that spurs) had more to do with the lack of communication.

Doesn't surprise me based on his personality. But let's just call it what it is. A lot of people out there are looking for any possible angle to discredit the guy because of what he's perceived to represent. I feel bad for the guy. I have a hard time believing he's going to get a real fair shake anywhere he might go unless he somehow takes over a team right on the cusp on winning big and are able to do it. He's going to be under more of a microscope than any other newly hired GM.

cincinnati chili
01-24-2006, 01:30 AM
Beattie is a great guy (I've talked to him on the phone and know several who have worked for him - my first impression take was the same as their take after working under him for years).

He has a pretty unique combination of practical baseball experience (former major league pitcher) and business acumen (Ivy League education, MBA, 2-time former GM).

Nevertheless, I'd be VERY disappointed if he were named our next GM. I don't blame him for the Oriole thing, but he's way too much of an inside-the-box thinker to be an asset under the Reds situation.

Chris Antonetti (who if I'm not mistaken was given his first baseball job by the Beattie regime) intrigues me a lot. He turned down the Red Sox interview, but if Castellini can can convince him that there isn't a "Lucchino" figure in Cincy (read: we'll lock John Allen in a broom closet), I bet he'd at least show up for the interview.

Cooper
01-24-2006, 01:46 AM
i wonder if they'll set up a system whereby no one person makes the decision, but a well informed committee gives input and they literally vote on what's gonna happen ala the red sox (i'm not clear how they make their final decisions, but it's clear a lot of people have input). everyone gives their input -and the gm makes the final call. to make that kind of thing work -you have to have an organizational philosophy that everyone agrees with. i guess we'll see.

i vote for kullman.

Krusty
01-24-2006, 01:50 AM
Kim Ng intrigues me and not just because she is a woman. She is really competent in baseball knowledge.

But if you're the Reds, do you want another rookie GM or one that has been a previous GM?

BrooklynRedz
01-24-2006, 01:54 AM
Kim Ng intrigues me and not just because she is a woman. She is really competent in baseball knowledge.

I'm afraid the Reds' situation is going to require a bit more than really competent.

WVRedsFan
01-24-2006, 01:56 AM
I really don't expect the new GM to be anyone that is presently in this organization. Our present interim GM is just that because there are bigger fish to fry coming in. No matter how impressed folks were with the Guillen for Harang trade or the Boone for Claussen move, the truth is that Kullman was ordered to conduct a fire sale and he was giving up proven players for what the other teams thought was damaged goods or marginal players. Harang and Claussen had good 2005 seasons, and they hope they continue, but they are far from proven pitchers.

My guess is that Castelinni will go with someone with more experience and probably someone he knows from his time as a Cardinal owner. Rookies need not apply.

WVRed
01-24-2006, 08:16 AM

But if you're the Reds, do you want another rookie GM or one that has been a previous GM?

A rookie coach worked well for the Bengals.;)

Its all about track record.

Ravenlord
01-24-2006, 08:19 AM
i like Beattie in his advisory role. to me, his performance as a GM though leaves a lot to be desired.

KronoRed
01-24-2006, 08:23 AM
i like Beattie in his advisory role. to me, his performance as a GM though leaves a lot to be desired.
Hiring him would just keep the distressing "retread" aspect the Reds always seem to go with.

lollipopcurve
01-24-2006, 09:26 AM
I agree with chili here -- I wouldn't mind Beattie as an advisor/mentor to a younger GM like Antonetti -- a kid with great training, brains and something to prove. I'm also intrigued by Dave Wilder of the White Sox.

M2
01-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Beattie strikes me as being what people hoped DanO would be - astute, forthright, ready to do some business.

He's had some real awful gigs in the past (Expos and Orioles) and he strikes me as a guy who's probably got more on the ball than he's been able to show. I'm not saying he'd be a Joe Torre GM equivalent, but Beattie might surprise a lot of people if he ever gets a real team to run.

Anyway, I like that Castellini has brought an advisor to focus squarely on the pitching. Hopefully Beattie doesn't sugarcoat it.

lollipopcurve
01-24-2006, 10:13 AM
It was reported that Beattie was Lucchino's choice to replace Epstein in Boston, but Henry overruled Lucchino. Apparently Lucchino and Castellini are friends, and thus it wouldn't be surprising if Beattie landed the GM gig here, per advice from Lucchino to Castellini.

rdiersin
01-24-2006, 10:57 AM
So far it seems we are focusing only on one GM. I wouldn't mind seeing Castellini setting up a two GM system with possibly Beattie and Kullman, with Beattie heading mainly organizational issues (farm, etc) and Kullman doing the major league stuff. I love Kullman's ideas, but just am not sure he could make the organizational changes needed. As far as I know he has only been with the Reds and may lack contacts needed. (But that's not to say that he couldn't make good hires that in turn bring in the people needed)

This is the model it seems the Red Sox are using(I think). I still haven't heard where Theo fits into that picture yet. The drawback of this system, I guess, would be that Castellini would probably need to find someone who could go between himself and the co-gms. But the upside is that it gives a leadership with both experience and good, fresh ideas. Just MO, though.

Phil in BG
01-24-2006, 11:29 AM
So far it seems we are focusing only on one GM. I wouldn't mind seeing Castellini setting up a two GM system with possibly Beattie and Kullman, with Beattie heading mainly organizational issues (farm, etc) and Kullman doing the major league stuff. I love Kullman's ideas, but just am not sure he could make the organizational changes needed. As far as I know he has only been with the Reds and may lack contacts needed. (But that's not to say that he couldn't make good hires that in turn bring in the people needed)

This is the model it seems the Red Sox are using(I think). I still haven't heard where Theo fits into that picture yet. The drawback of this system, I guess, would be that Castellini would probably need to find someone who could go between himself and the co-gms. But the upside is that it gives a leadership with both experience and good, fresh ideas. Just MO, though.

I don't expect Bob to be this kind of owner. He has said that any other personnel moves would be by the new GM after he's installed. I see Castellini as the type owner who will hire a GM and hold him fully accountable for the baseball operations. He will not micro-manage.

KronoRed
01-24-2006, 11:46 AM
A 2 GM system sounds like a recipe for trouble, back stabbing galore.

rdiersin
01-24-2006, 11:47 AM
I don't expect Bob to be this kind of owner. He has said that any other personnel moves would be by the new GM after he's installed. I see Castellini as the type owner who will hire a GM and hold him fully accountable for the baseball operations. He will not micro-manage.

I agree that I don't see Castellini being that type of owner, and the co-gm approach isn't something that is likely to happen. I just hope that if he does hire Kullman, which is a good thing, that he helps surround him with good leaders that will carry out his mandate. I just don't want to see the guy get DePo'd. The media, in particular Fuhrman and Jones, will probably be after him from the get go just from the fact that he isn't a "baseball" guy. As long as the organization knows that he has a mandate from the owner, then there probably isn't a problem.

Redsland
01-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Naehring handles the farm, so he'd have to be let go before Beattie could slide into that role.

Phil in BG
01-24-2006, 11:50 AM
I think there is no chance of a split duty GM system. Bob will hire one person to be accountable. He comes from a successful business. In big business you hire someone and let him do his job. He will either be successful or he will fail and that one person will be accountable.

RFS62
01-24-2006, 11:50 AM
I'd prefer an experienced talent evaluator as GM with a sabr-friendly guy like Kullman at his side, like Beane with DePo in Oakland.

You gotta have both.

rdiersin
01-24-2006, 11:54 AM
A 2 GM system sounds like a recipe for trouble, back stabbing galore.

Depends on who is hired. Yea, that is definitely a possibility. But if the other GM knows from the get go that part of his job is to help a younger guy like Kullman, and that they are working together, then it is a good thing. Also, sometimes competition is good in a workplace enviroment, as long as the goal remains the same, to win. Its just a concept. Not everyone will like it, and it probably won't matter, because as was pointed out, Castellini doesn't seem as if he would be the type of owner that would have two guys there.

rdiersin
01-24-2006, 11:56 AM
I'd prefer an experienced talent evaluator as GM with a sabr-friendly guy like Kullman at his side, like Beane with DePo in Oakland.

You gotta have both.

Beane also had Sandy Alderson from above giving support. When you are going to change the organization as Castellini has mentioned, that can't be underestimated.

westofyou
01-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Wagner and Howsam were a 2 GM system.

Wagner was the business side of the equation most of the time, kinda like if John Allen had a 20 year background in the minor leagues (including Executive of the year in the 50's)

That worked until Howsam gave it all to Wagner.

RFS62
01-24-2006, 12:06 PM
In a perfect world, I'd love to have a former player who has been around the business side of the front office for at least ten years, seeing how deals get done and with a complete understanding of the inner workings of a major league front office.

I'd want him to be completely comfortable with scouting methods, and with no aversion at all to sabermetrics. And I'd want a right hand man who was a total expert in sabermetric analysis.

I'd want the GM to have a complete understanding of both and a willingness to use both scouting and sabermetric methods in all his decision making.

Who that is, I don't know.

MWM
01-24-2006, 12:08 PM
I'd want the GM to have a complete understanding of both and a willingness to use both scouting and sabermetric methods in all his decision making.

Me too. I just don't think many of those guys exist.

Heath
01-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Wagner and Howsam were a 2 GM system.

Wagner was the business side of the equation most of the time, kinda like if John Allen had a 20 year background in the minor leagues (including Executive of the year in the 50's)

That worked until Howsam gave it all to Wagner.

But, also - Sheldon Bender had some say in major league matters in the early part. Wagner was the "fall-guy" - tough as nails negotiator.

To his demise, Wagner's ego became the problem, not the solution.

Red Leader
01-24-2006, 01:51 PM
In a perfect world, I'd love to have a former player who has been around the business side of the front office for at least ten years, seeing how deals get done and with a complete understanding of the inner workings of a major league front office.

I'd want him to be completely comfortable with scouting methods, and with no aversion at all to sabermetrics. And I'd want a right hand man who was a total expert in sabermetric analysis.

Who that is, I don't know.

Reading this, one name screams out to me.

Joe Morgan. :laugh: :mooner:

Red Leader
01-24-2006, 01:51 PM
But, also - Sheldon Bender had some say in major league matters in the early part. Wagner was the "fall-guy" - tough as nails negotiator.

To his demise, Wagner's ego became the problem, not the solution.

Sheldon? Sheldon? God, no wonder people call him Chief.

KronoRed
01-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Joe Morgan. :laugh: :mooner:
Marty would be in heaven