PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Reds turned down Kearns for Westbrook

kbrake
01-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Just read on another site that Ken Roshenthal (take it for what its worth) was on XM radio saying that the Reds turned down Kearns to the Indians for Jake Westbrook as part of the whole Coco Crisp trade. I do not have a link just read it elsewhere and thought I would share.

pedro
01-23-2006, 09:18 PM
Good. I don't think Westbrook is that good. He's just another #4-5 guy IMO.

Heath
01-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Hey I'm Ken Rosenthal.

Throw something against a wall...and maybe it will stick.

OnBaseMachine
01-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Good. I don't think Westbrook is that good. He's just another #4-5 guy IMO.

Agreed. This would have been a bad deal.

Redmachine2003
01-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Here is a comment from Kullman I found interesting.

Kullman will have the freedom to work on trades, which would be approved by Castellini. For example, Kullman said teams have shown an interest in outfielder Austin Kearns, but haven't offered what the Reds want in return.

"So I wouldn't be surprised if in the next week, we try to do something," Kullman said. "Whether it's possible or not, I don't know."

Heath
01-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Interesting.

TeamClark might be able to be better equipped to handle this question- but I'm getting the suspicion since DanO got canned - that the other 29 owners thought a sales circular was being passed around to buy "cheaply" from the department store that is the Reds.

So far, coupons and discounts aren't accepted.

kbrake
01-23-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm sure this whole O'brien getting canned thing has got other GM's real worried. Cashman and other GM's throughout baseball can not make mistakes like Womack anymore. No clown left to take old middle infielders off their hands.

KronoRed
01-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Hey I'm Ken Rosenthal.

It's a living ;)

REDREAD
01-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Yes, it was reported that the Indians offered the Reds a choice of three young pitchers for Kearns. Lee and Westbrook were two of the options. I can't recall the third.

lollipopcurve
01-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Westbrook is one year from free agency.

M2
01-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Yes, it was reported that the Indians offered the Reds a choice of three young pitchers for Kearns. Lee and Westbrook were two of the options. I can't recall the third.

Well, if Lee was one of the options, then I'm not so wild about the Reds walking away. If it's Westbrook, that's fine, but Lee's a higher order of talent.

Puffy
01-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Turning down Westbrook is fine. Turning down Lee would not be.

lollipopcurve
01-24-2006, 11:19 AM
If it's Westbrook, that's fine, but Lee's a higher order of talent.

Yep. Lee is better and would be under the Reds control for 3 years at least.

He also hails from the same hometown as Travis Wood -- Benton, Arkansas.

Boss-Hog
01-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Well, if Lee was one of the options, then I'm not so wild about the Reds walking away. If it's Westbrook, that's fine, but Lee's a higher order of talent.
I believe REDREAD is referring to a deal that was rumored to be on the table during spring training 2005. Kearns' trade value has obviously diminished since then while Lee's has significantly gone up.

westofyou
01-24-2006, 11:40 AM
I believe REDREAD is referring to a deal that was rumored to be on the table during spring training 2005. Kearns' trade value has obviously diminished since then while Lee's has significantly gone up.Yeah my take too, this is a revisited deal this past week and perhaps it is the linchpin for why Da O was jettisoned so quick.

I'm sure if BC wasn't in the office at the time then he had a mole or a perhaps his interaction with DO was enough to make him move quicker than anticipated.

RFS62
01-24-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm sure if BC wasn't in the office at the time then he had a mole or a perhaps his interaction with DO was enough to make him move quicker than anticipated.

I still believe that BC decided long ago to sack DanO immediately upon taking over.

REDREAD
01-24-2006, 12:12 PM
I believe REDREAD is referring to a deal that was rumored to be on the table during spring training 2005. Kearns' trade value has obviously diminished since then while Lee's has significantly gone up.

Yes, it was this past spring.. If the Indians offered Westbrook again (recently), I apologize. I thought the writer was talking about the offer that was on the table this spring.

And yes, DanO was asleep at the wheel last spring. He should've cashed in either Pena or Kearns. Now both are worth less than they were a year ago.

MartyFan
01-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Hey I'm Ken Rosenthal.

The only thing that is surprising about this rumor is that it wasn't written about by Gammons.

TeamSelig
01-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Westbrook isn't that bad. 4.49 ERA and was 4th in the AL in IP. That would be a good combo to add to our horrible rotation. Doesn't really give up a bunch of HRs (19), career 4.40 ERA. Throws a sinker too, which is a plus.

I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to trade Kearns for him though, just sayin' he's not that bad. I think I would swap Kearns for Westbrook, and a good pitching prospect or something.

Hondo
01-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah you guys are right...Westbrook is nice, but he would get thrown around in the G.A.B.

Austin might have Batted higher but with less Power numbers in Jacobs...

JaredRoberts.com

pedro
01-24-2006, 01:38 PM
I still believe that BC decided long ago to sack DanO immediately upon taking over.

http://www.wghsuccess.com/new/image/Chocolate-decadence-button-.jpg

blumj
01-25-2006, 12:40 AM
There's another rumor that the Red Sox were going to trade Clement for Kearns to send to Cleveland as part of their deal for Coco Crisp, a deal that appears to be dying over Mota's failed physical.

Hondo
01-25-2006, 01:26 AM
Womack for Clement...

I personally think that 2 single trades Got Dan O'Brein canned....

Womack for 2 Prospects....

Casey for Williams, because simply a Beane, Schurholtz, or Cashman would have netted atleast LHP Oliver Perez...

JaredRoberts.com

Krusty
01-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Westbrook is a sinkerball pitcher. Isn't that the type the Reds are looking at?

KronoRed
01-25-2006, 05:10 AM
Westbrook is a sinkerball pitcher. Isn't that the type the Reds are looking at?
He still gives up a ton of hits, they would just be doubles instead of HR's.

Pass.

Boss-Hog
01-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Casey for Williams, because simply a Beane, Schurholtz, or Cashman would have netted atleast LHP Oliver Perez...

There's absolutely no way the Reds, no matter who the GM is, were going to get Perez for anything less than Adam Dunn. I'm really not sure why you insist otherwise.

The trade O'Brien made stunk, but if you were expecting Oliver Perez for one year of Sean Casey, I don't know what to tell you.

M2
01-25-2006, 10:24 AM
The guys DanO probably should have been fishing for in the Casey deal were Ian Snell, Tom Gorzelanny and Bryan Bullington. The Bucs have a power hitting catching prospect named Ronny Paulino who interests me as well. The Bucs aren't that high on him, which leads me to believe he's got some defensive hiccups to overcome, but that sure beats the whole lot of nothing the Reds have in their catching pipeline.

MikeS21
01-25-2006, 11:03 AM
The guys DanO probably should have been fishing for in the Casey deal were Ian Snell, Tom Gorzelanny and Bryan Bullington. The Bucs have a power hitting catching prospect named Ronny Paulino who interests me as well. The Bucs aren't that high on him, which leads me to believe he's got some defensive hiccups to overcome, but that sure beats the whole lot of nothing the Reds have in their catching pipeline.
Do we know tha O'Brien didn't ask for these guys and got turned down cold?

We've all heard and articulated Sean Casey's weaknesses. Surely its possible that other organizations have figured out the same things and refused to give up any real value.

I know it's a GM's job to polish up junk and pawn them off as value, but there are just some lemons that a used car salesman can't get rid of, no matter how much he sugarcoast it. :p: