PDA

View Full Version : Beattie - special adviser to GM?

Ravenlord
01-24-2006, 06:49 AM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060124/SPT04/601240382/1071

Beattie - special adviser to GM?

By John Fay
Enquirer staff writer

Jim Beattie starts a new job with the Reds today. He hopes it leads to a very quick promotion.

Beattie, the former Baltimore Orioles general manager, has been hired by chief executive officer Bob Castellini as a special adviser to evaluate the club's pitching.

"I'm going to come in and take a look at what they've been doing," he said. "I'll take a look at the prospects in the system and the programs they have in place."

But Castellini said Beattie will be considered as the permanent replacement for GM Dan O'Brien, who was fired Monday.

"Yes, absolutely," Beattie said when asked if he's interested in the job.

Beattie, 51, nearly got the GM job in Boston when Theo Epstein was out of the picture temporarily.

He reportedly was the choice of CEO/President Larry Lucchino, but owner John Henry overruled Lucchino.

Oddly enough, that's how Beattie got to know Castellini.

"He's friends with Larry," Beattie said. "I got to know (Castellini) though Larry."

Beattie pitched nine seasons in the majors. He is a graduate of Dartmouth College and has an MBA from the University of Washington.

He spent six years as the Montreal Expos GM from 1995 to 2001. Prior to that, he spent six years as the Seattle Mariners director of player development.

He served as the Orioles' co-GM with Mike Flanagan from Dec. 4, 2002 through the end of this season. Beatty was forced out and Flanagan was given the sole title as GM.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

cincyinco
01-24-2006, 07:10 AM
JB(another one? sigh..) is a legit candidate for the Reds GM job from everything I've read...

Which IMHO is unfortunate. Bring in a fresh young mind...

Ravenlord
01-24-2006, 07:38 AM
Bring in a fresh young mind...they should bring in me.

Jpup
01-24-2006, 07:56 AM
Larry Lucchino? yuck.:thumbdown Lets hope not. I'm not too high on him. I hope Bob and Lucchino aren't that big of buddies.

iaredsfan
01-24-2006, 09:07 AM
I would be very interested in why Henry overruled Luccino's choice. Was Theo the reason, or was there something about Beattie that he didn't like?

RollyInRaleigh
01-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Take it for what it's worth, but Rosenthal mentioned, yesterday on XM, that he didn't think Beattie would be a good fit for the Reds. Said that he was somewhat "methodical" in his approach, much in the same manner as O'Brien.

TeamBoone
01-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Is this assessment going to be something that starts right away by reviwing tapes, or something that begins next month when pitchers and catchers report?

Just curious.

NewEraReds
01-24-2006, 01:12 PM
starts now from what i understand. and come on people, quit over reacting. you did this when ob wasnt fired right away, you got all over bcast. now you do it just cause a guys name is mentioned

TeamBoone
01-24-2006, 02:09 PM
starts now from what i understand. and come on people, quit over reacting. you did this when ob wasnt fired right away, you got all over bcast. now you do it just cause a guys name is mentioned

Huh? I don't get what you're saying... I just asked a question.

Heath
01-24-2006, 02:16 PM
I think Jim Beattie could take Tim Naehring's job.

And I'd be happy.

NewEraReds
01-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Huh? I don't get what you're saying... I just asked a question.
i was answering your question, the other revolved around the posts complaining about the guy when he isnt even the gm

blumj
01-24-2006, 04:14 PM
I would be very interested in why Henry overruled Luccino's choice. Was Theo the reason, or was there something about Beattie that he didn't like?

I'd guess mostly Theo, but if Beattie's too similar to Lucchino in his thinking, that might be a problem for Henry that wouldn't necessarily be a knock on him for another team. Or if he isn't big on stats based performance analysis, that might be something that would turn Henry off but not necessarily Lucchino. They did seem to be seriously considering Dayton Moore until Atlanta gave him a big raise and probably assured him he was next in line when Schuerholtz decided to retire.