PDA

View Full Version : Student wearing Broncos jersey forced to take test on floor

savafan
01-24-2006, 01:27 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-student23,1,6787175.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

BEAVER FALLS, Pa. // A 17-year-old high school student said he was humiliated when a teacher made him sit on the floor during a midterm exam in his ethnicity class - for wearing a Denver Broncos jersey.

The teacher, John Kelly, forced Joshua Vannoy to sit on the floor and take the test Friday - two days before the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Broncos 34-17 in the AFC championship game. Kelly also made other students throw crumpled up paper at Vannoy, whom he called a "stinking Denver fan," Vannoy told The Associated Press on Monday.

Kelly said Vannoy, a junior at Beaver Area Senior High School, just didn't get the joke.

"If he felt uncomfortable, then that's a lesson; that's what (the class) is designed to do," Kelly told The Denver Post. "It was silly fun. I can't believe he was upset."

Vannoy was wearing a No. 7 Broncos jersey on Friday, because he is a fan of John Elway, the Broncos' retired Hall of Fame quarterback.

Vannoy said he was so unnerved he left at least 20 questions blank on the 60-question test, and just wants out of Kelly's class because he's afraid the teacher won't treat him fairly now that the story reached the media.

"I'm going to have to deal with him for two more nine weeks (school quarters) and he's going to want revenge somehow," Vannoy said Monday. "I took the test. I'm shaking. I'm furious. I didn't know what to do."

Kelly, who wore a Ben Roethlisberger jersey Friday, and his principal, Thomas Karczewski, didn't immediately return messages left on their school voice mail Monday.

Big Beaver Falls Area School District Superintendent Donna Nugent said she was aware of the situation, but said confidentiality rules prevent her from commenting specifically.

"We'll take whatever action we need to in order for the student to feel comfortable," Nugent said.

KronoRed
01-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Silly fun?

Guess he has a sick sense of what's "funny"

zombie-a-go-go
01-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Kelly, who wore a Ben Roethlisberger jersey Friday

Well, that's a shock.

RedFanAlways1966
01-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Not sure what to think. Perhaps the kid is blowing it way out of proportion. Perhaps the kid went along with it and had fun with the attention until he realized that he was going to fail the exam that was given... then found an "out" by making the claims in the story. I'd be curious to hear the story of a few kids who were in the class. Surely the teacher would have enough common-sense to know that the kid was not enjoying the fun if that was the case. But who knows.

I do think the teacher needs to re-learn about ethnicity. He seems to have it confused with discrimination.

ethnicity
n : an ethnic quality or affiliation resulting from racial or cultural ties; "ethnicity has a strong influence on community status relations"

Johnny Footstool
01-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Bad idea on the teacher's part.

One of the keys to being "funny" is knowing when the audience is not enjoying the joke.

redsfan30
01-24-2006, 02:08 PM
While distasteful, it wouldn't suprise me one bit if this kid is blowing things way out of proportion....most likely at the direction of his parents.

15fan
01-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Josh -

Hike up your skirt. It's a cold, cruel world out there.

NJReds
01-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Josh -

Hike up your skirt. It's a cold, cruel world out there.

Actually, if he was in the 'cold, cruel world' he'd just sue for a million.

westofyou
01-24-2006, 02:24 PM
While distasteful, it wouldn't suprise me one bit if this kid is blowing things way out of proportion....most likely at the direction of his parents.

Students also tossed crumpled paper at Vannoy at the request of the teacher, John Kelly, who was wearing a Ben Roethlisberger jersey.

http://159.54.227.3/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060124/SPORTS0301/601240314/1030

When Joshua Vannoy, 17, a junior from Big Beaver, walked into his honors ethnic relations class Friday and sat at his desk in preparation for a midterm exam, he was told by the teacher, John Kelly, to pick up his books. Vannoy moved to another seat, but said Kelly, an avid Steelers fan, told him not to sit there either.

"I figure he's having a bad day, but then he says, 'That's my desk. Your books aren't allowed on my desk.' "

Vannoy said it was all apparently over what he was wearing - a No. 7 jersey that wasn't Ben Roethlisberger's. It was an orange-and-blue John Elway shirt, carrying the logo of the opposing team set to face the Steelers in the weekend AFC Championship Game.

And because he wore it, Vannoy said he was told he had to lie on the carpeted floor inside a circle of desks if he wanted to get his test.

Vannoy said other students were handed their tests; his was thrown at him. Papers flew everywhere, and even after he had them arranged, Vannoy said he was unable to concentrate.

At one point, Vannoy said Kelly handed out notebook paper for a second part of the test and told students to "throw the paper at the Denver fan."

Kelly even demonstrated to students by throwing the first wad, Vannoy said.

"Mr. Kelly threw it and hit me in the back of the head. Some of my friends threw the paper to miss me on purpose," Vannoy said.

Other students were reluctant, he said, including a girl, who said she wasn't comfortable throwing paper at him. He said Kelly threw her paper at him also, with not so much as a smile or a laugh. Vannoy said Kelly seemed serious

Kelly, who did not return messages, told The Denver Post that he didn't threaten Vannoy's grade and called it "silly fun." Kelly told The Post he did the same to a ninth-grader who wore an Indianapolis Colts shirt the previous week, adding that if Vannoy was upset, it was a lesson, which is what the class is designed for.

When class ended, Vannoy said he felt "dehumanized" during a course that's supposed to teach diversity and acceptance. He was shaking, sure he flunked his test because he didn't get to answer one-third of the questions, and was too distraught to eat lunch.

"I was so upset," he said. "I was prepared to take wisecracks and jokes, but when you take it too far," he paused, "he's a teacher."

Vannoy said he went to high school Principal Thomas Karczewski, who shrugged it off. "The principal said, 'What do you want me to do? The worst I can do is probably write him up,' " Vannoy said.

Karczewski told The Post he was sure Kelly had no intent to harm Vannoy, but offered no comment on Monday.

Superintendent Donna Nugent was out of town Friday and said she was made aware of the situation Monday. She said the district is following up with an internal investigation and plans to take any appropriate action necessary.

"We're aware of the situation," Nugent said.

Ron Miller, school board president, said no students should be shamed because of the stance they choose to take.

"Obviously we do not condone any humiliation of students," Miller said.

Vannoy's father, Brian Vannoy, who said he is talking to lawyers, said his son is a good student who happens to be a National Football League fan. Vannoy belongs to National Honor Society and has a 3.8 grade-point average. Vannoy's parents were worried he would get a lower grade in the class.

"On Friday, he asked for a retest with the principal, who blew him off and said, 'I can't do anything about it.' We never heard back," Brian Vannoy said.

Joshua Vannoy said he's now at the point where he's just ready to drop the class.

"I honestly don't want to go to school (today) because it's going to be a mess," he said.

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15987718&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478569&rfi=6

Big Beaver Falls Area School District Superintendent Donna Nugent said, "We'll take whatever action we need to in order for the student to feel comfortable."

http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/391924.html

Caveat Emperor
01-24-2006, 02:27 PM
This reminds me of when I was a senior in high school, living in Washington D.C. The Redskins were playing the Buccaneers in the second round of the playoffs. Everyone knew I was a Tampa Bay fan, and I knew that I was going to get crap from other students and my teachers -- all of whom were Washington Redskins fans. And, indeed, I did get crap from kids and my teachers when I'd show up wearing my Warrick Dunn jersey or my Mike Alstott jersey. However, I was never graded down for my "football beliefs," and I was given full rights to shove it in their faces when the Bucs beat the 'Skins and went on to the NFC title game.

This kid is 17 years old, and he is smart enough at this age to completely understand the results of him wearing a Broncos jersey into a high school in the middle of "Steelers Country." He knew that he was, potentially, antagonizing his classmates and teachers (nobody who has a teacher that is a football fan EVER has any doubt who their favorite team is), yet he made a concious decision to show up in an Elway jersey. We're not talking about a kid in elementary school who doesn't know any better -- we're talking about a young adult, 1 year away from the age of majority, who is trying to cry foul about a decision HE made. I have trouble with a kid this old getting "so mad" that he couldn't finish a test...it rings as false and as an attempt to make trouble or grab attention for himself.

And, I think it's ironic to note that this was an ethnicity class. This is a near letter-perfect example of singling out someone based on a difference of opinion or difference of appearence and treating him/her differently. There's a good class lesson to learn out of all this, I'd imagine.

gonelong
01-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Wow, some people are just easily rattled ...

I can totally derail my neighbors golf game with a few comments about his game. :evil:

GL

LoganBuck
01-24-2006, 03:24 PM
The teacher was out of line. No question. That kid is going to be stuck in a situation the rest of the year, with a authority figure, who embarrased him. I know we like to downplay self esteem, but this kid's self esteem is definately compromised.

Yachtzee
01-24-2006, 03:57 PM
This reminds me of when I was a senior in high school, living in Washington D.C. The Redskins were playing the Buccaneers in the second round of the playoffs. Everyone knew I was a Tampa Bay fan, and I knew that I was going to get crap from other students and my teachers -- all of whom were Washington Redskins fans. And, indeed, I did get crap from kids and my teachers when I'd show up wearing my Warrick Dunn jersey or my Mike Alstott jersey. However, I was never graded down for my "football beliefs," and I was given full rights to shove it in their faces when the Bucs beat the 'Skins and went on to the NFC title game.

This kid is 17 years old, and he is smart enough at this age to completely understand the results of him wearing a Broncos jersey into a high school in the middle of "Steelers Country." He knew that he was, potentially, antagonizing his classmates and teachers (nobody who has a teacher that is a football fan EVER has any doubt who their favorite team is), yet he made a concious decision to show up in an Elway jersey. We're not talking about a kid in elementary school who doesn't know any better -- we're talking about a young adult, 1 year away from the age of majority, who is trying to cry foul about a decision HE made. I have trouble with a kid this old getting "so mad" that he couldn't finish a test...it rings as false and as an attempt to make trouble or grab attention for himself.

And, I think it's ironic to note that this was an ethnicity class. This is a near letter-perfect example of singling out someone based on a difference of opinion or difference of appearence and treating him/her differently. There's a good class lesson to learn out of all this, I'd imagine.

Football fandom should never be a reason to treat someone poorly...ever.

Caseyfan21
01-24-2006, 04:25 PM

Except fans of that team from the state up north....:evil:

westofyou
01-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Except fans of that team from the state up north....:evil:
I moved to Cincinnati from Ann Arbor (via a 6 month jaunt in South Carolina) I showed up at school in UM Blue and with what some teachers told me was a "smart mouth" I got much crap and endured it and gave back. If you wear enemy colors expect some crap.

RedFanAlways1966
01-24-2006, 04:36 PM
If you wear enemy colors expect some crap.

Yep. Ask the last Steelers clad fan or Bengals clad fan who decided to sit in the Dawg Pound and show them Dawgs who is boss (if their body can be found). Or a any-team clad fan sitting in the Oakland stands.

Johnny Footstool
01-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Teachers are supposed to be more mature than students.

Telling your class to wad up paper and throw it at a student is not very mature.

Embarassing a kid for something like this is not professional at all.

dsmith421
01-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Yep. Ask the last Steelers clad fan or Bengals clad fan who decided to sit in the Dawg Pound and show them Dawgs who is boss (if their body can be found). Or a any-team clad fan sitting in the Oakland stands.

If I walk into the Black Hole in a Chiefs jersey, I know what to expect.

I somehow doubt this Broncos fan expected to be publicly humiliated for an extended period of time in front of his peers, with the so-called impartial authority figure egging them on.

RFS62
01-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Wow, some people are just easily rattled ...

I can totally derail my neighbors golf game with a few comments about his game. :evil:

GL

Do you inhale or exhale at the top of your swing?

Yachtzee
01-24-2006, 04:59 PM

I've been to Cleveland Browns Stadium many times with Bengals gear on. People have talked smack, but I've never been threatened with physical violence. I likewise take my good friend down to Cincinnati for the Browns/Bengals game down there and he has had only minor exchanges of words. Of course, ever since the bottle-throwing incident, Cleveland ownership has been making a concerted effort to "clean things up." It's been rather noticeable in the last 2 years.

Talking smack comes with the territory. It still doesn't justify a person in a position of authority treating someone poorly because he wore the wrong jersey.

Johnny Footstool
01-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Talking smack comes with the territory. It still doesn't justify a person in a position of authority treating someone poorly because he wore the wrong jersey.

Absolutely.

I don't have a problem with this kid catching hell from other students -- he probably did, and he probably expected it.

But when an authority figure *uses his authority* to humiliate a kid because of a football jersey, that's simply wrong.

Matt700wlw
01-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Another reason to hate the Steelers and their fans.

15fan
01-24-2006, 06:16 PM
If this student...age 17...really felt humiliated because he had to - gasp - sit on the floor, and - horror of horrors - had paper wads thrown at him, he needs to grow a pair.

Otherwise, life is gonna chew this boy up & spit him out once he leaves the friendly bubble of high school and enters the real world.

He was wearing a Broncos jersey to school in Pennsylvania a few days before a Denver-Pittsburgh AFC title game. He knew he was going to get crap. He was begging to take some crap.

If you can't take it, then don't dish it out.

Johnny Footstool
01-24-2006, 06:29 PM

What exactly did he dish out to his teacher?

gonelong
01-24-2006, 06:33 PM

Ha ha, a classic.

Wow, the pin placements are impossible today! If a guy can somehow mangage to get the ball close to pin its not like he can expect to make the putt anyways. ;)

Man, I hate it when we have a slow group in front of us ... it really throws off your rythm and concentration ... doesn't it? :evil:

GL

Caveat Emperor
01-24-2006, 06:56 PM

We're talking about a kid sitting on the floor to take a test and being hit with paper wads (which doesn't even qualify as being hit at all). It's not like the teacher conspired to get everyone whacking the kid with socks stuffed with soap or anything.

When you show up at school wearing appearal designed to inflame or rile those around you (and make no mistake, a 17 year old understands the consequences of wearing a Denver jersey the week before they play the Steelers in the AFC title game), I think it rises to the level of something of an "acceptance of the risk" of being teased by your teachers and students. I'd have more sympathy for this student if the teacher happened to know this kid was a Broncos fan and called him out on it for no reason -- but if he shows up wearing a jersey, he knows what he's trying to do.

The real thing I blame the teacher for is doing this to a student he didn't know well enough to take it. Whenever my teachers harassed me for being a Bucs fan, they always knew me well enough to know that I'd laugh along and/or talk smack right back at them. I know that it's classic "bully-enabling" language when people say you've got to learn how to take a joke -- but you really do in this sort of case.

Maybe I'm coming at this from the wrong point of view...I don't know. If I was a parent, I'd probably feel differently.

CTA513
01-24-2006, 07:03 PM
If this student...age 17...really felt humiliated because he had to - gasp - sit on the floor, and - horror of horrors - had paper wads thrown at him, he needs to grow a pair.

Otherwise, life is gonna chew this boy up & spit him out once he leaves the friendly bubble of high school and enters the real world.

He was wearing a Broncos jersey to school in Pennsylvania a few days before a Denver-Pittsburgh AFC title game. He knew he was going to get crap. He was begging to take some crap.

Im sure if the kid did the same thing back to the teacher he would be getting in trouble for it.

oneupper
01-24-2006, 07:15 PM
The teacher said it "was a lesson"...and it was, but he just didn't teach it.

In this "ethnicity" class, a student was subject to discrimination, unwarranted anger and hostility and the "mob" effect (people do something just because other do even if they know its wrong). Not to mention that people's morals bowed to the power of authority (or how did Hitler get people to kill 6 million jews).

This is classic stuff and if the teacher had bothered to explain any of it before the bell rang, the students would have come away with a stimulating experience that may make them less subject to manipulation.

He probably thought they could figure it out by themselves. That makes him STUPID, but not mean.

paintmered
01-24-2006, 07:18 PM

:laugh: :laugh:

Yep, that'll do it everytime. Get the other golfer thinking...

Crash Davis
01-24-2006, 07:21 PM
The teacher is a coward & a bully, and he clearly doesn't understand the proper context of sports in one's life. He certainly doesn't come off as a well adjusted mature adult, which isn't too much to ask for in a teacher.

Of course the kid's going to get crap from the other students for wearing an Elway jersey. That's understandable. I'd expect the same if I did that in high school.

But where does a teacher get off using his authority to bully a student over something as minor as a football game? I love football as much as (probably much more than, truth be told) the next sports obsessed American, but I realize it's place in the pecking order of life. I can understand a vapid slobbering drunk slackjaw badgering me at a sportsbar for wearing the wrong colors. I'm baffled by a teacher -- an alleged role model and authority figure -- bullying one of his students over a lousy football game. That's his life. You know what I'm saying?

TeamBoone
01-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Is this "ethnicity" class designed to teach students what it feels like to be different? That's my read. And if that's the case, then it did exactly what it's designed to do. It doesn't mean the teacher was actually ticked off because the kid is a Denver fan.

Remember the age old "test" of brown-eyed students vs blue-eyed students, which was designed to teach students what it feels like to be the subject of discrimination?

GAC
01-24-2006, 08:32 PM
I agree with TB on this one.

I guess it really depends on the objective the teacher was trying to illustrate in a ethnicity class. If he was simply to humiliate a student because he wore a Denver jersey, then obviously that would be wrong. But if he was trying to illustrate to this student (and the class) about the effects discrimination and hatred has on an individual because they are different, then it could be an effective tool.

KittyDuran
01-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Is this "ethnicity" class designed to teach students what it feels like to be different? That's my read. And if that's the case, then it did exactly what it's designed to do. It doesn't mean the teacher was actually ticked off because the kid is a Denver fan.

Remember the age old "test" of brown-eyed students vs blue-eyed students, which was designed to teach students what it feels like to be the subject of discrimination?I agree, if this was in any other class, well I guess I'd be shocked. Actually, I was the typical picked on kid in school. I was a loner, and even though I made good grades, I HATED school. Got along with some teachers, but others seem to be out to get me [well it seemed that way] I was called all kinds of names by some of the kids (some not printable) with one of the nicer names being "crow" because of my long nose and dark hair. If there was any physical harm in all of this, I'm sure my parents would come to my rescue - but since I also got picked on by my sisters at home - they knew I would take it. For me, the "real world" was a lot better than school.

Yachtzee
01-24-2006, 09:19 PM
If it was an experiment, it was a poor one.

1. If you're going to conduct an experiment, make sure the subject is cool with it.
2. If you're going to give a midterm exam, don't mess with the evironment so that one person has to take the exam in a substantially different manner than the other students.
3. Again, football fandom is not a reason for treating someone poorly, especially when you are an authority figure. All that does is ratchet up the abuse that kid gets for the rest of the day, because now everybody thinks it's okay to give the kid holy hell because "a teacher did it too."

When you are a person in a position of authority, you have to be careful how you conduct yourself among those subject to your authority. Playful ribbing can quickly escalate to serious abuse because other students suddenly feel they have license to act out because the teacher started it.

Maybe I'm more sensitive to it as a former teacher and a Bengals fan living in Brownstown, but I just don't see how anyone can justify treating someone poorly over a football game. And if it was just an experiment, it was ill-timed and poorly executed.

ghettochild
01-24-2006, 10:27 PM
i heard about this on mike and mike and started roflling

Crash Davis
01-25-2006, 11:43 AM

Remember the age old "test" of brown-eyed students vs blue-eyed students, which was designed to teach students what it feels like to be the subject of discrimination?

Was it a "lesson" or was it "silly fun"?

It sounds to me like a lesson in power trips. If you have the authority, you can bully a teenager over something as meaningless as football.

I'd like to see the teacher try that on another adult. It sounds like he's not the kind of guy who wants anything to do with a fair fight...make sure all of the power is on your side when you try something like that.

Crash Davis
01-25-2006, 11:50 AM

I'd like to see the teacher "grow a pair" when the power is on the other side of the ledger.

You wanna throw paper? Oh, we'll throw paper. Rolls of it. Eggs too. And that will hardly be the worst of it. In the morning, when he sees his house, lawn and vehicle, then we'll see who received the "lesson". Life can chew up a teacher and spit him out too.

Or does that only work one way? Only the person in the position of authority is allowed to misuse his power for humiliation purposes?

Don't like your houses being vandalized? Grow a frickin' pair! This is the real world, baby!

Hoosier Red
01-25-2006, 01:25 PM
I think the kid is being a bit whiny about this. I had a teacher throw water on me because I wore a UC shirt the day of the 91 Crosstown shootout. She knew I could take the joke there.

On the flip side, the teacher's excuse of trying to teach a lesson is bunk.

He played a joke on the student, the student didn't think it was funny, he should have apologized, given the kid a chance to re-take the test, and the world would have moved on.

My question is who called the media? More than likely the kid. If he's afraid of "retaliation" now that the story has gotten to the media, maybe he needs to look into who leaked the story.

bucksfan
01-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Unless the kid was acting up and being a loudmouth about his rooting interests, that was way out of line. I can imagine getting verbally razzed from my teachers, but they would have never made me take a test on the floor (whether they thought I could "take it" or not).

Other students are another matter entirely. You can predict that some kids may act poorly.

Johnny Footstool
01-25-2006, 01:45 PM
My question is who called the media? More than likely the kid.

The kid's parents, I'd imagine.

REDREAD
01-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Totally inappropriate for the teacher to play a joke during a test.

It would be different if he did it during a normal class and it was over in 5 min.
But I think the kid has a legit beef that he was forced to do this during an exam/test.

Heath
01-25-2006, 03:43 PM
If I am the Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, I'm finding this kid and offering him a free package deal including tickets, airfare, hotel, meals, locker-room visits, merchandise, etc for a football weekend next year in Denver. It might seem expensive for us, but a little out of petty cash for the Broncos would seal the deal.

Then WHO would have the last laugh....

dsmith421
01-25-2006, 06:11 PM
I agree with TB on this one.

I guess it really depends on the objective the teacher was trying to illustrate in a ethnicity class. If he was simply to humiliate a student because he wore a Denver jersey, then obviously that would be wrong. But if he was trying to illustrate to this student (and the class) about the effects discrimination and hatred has on an individual because they are different, then it could be an effective tool.

And I think it's after-the-fact rationalization by a teacher who knows he a) went too far and b) is in danger of losing his job.

That explanation, in my opinion, is so patently ludicrous I can't believe anyone is taking it seriously.

savafan
01-30-2006, 11:09 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06027/645419.stm

NFL Stats
NFL Teams
NFL Moves
AFC Injuries
NFC Injuries
Fantasy Column
The Skin Center. Click here. Black and Gold Insider
Black & Gold Insider Log In
Black and Gold hangouts
Salary.com
Pittsburgh Steelers
QB Elway sends gift to student reportedly taunted for Broncos jersey

Friday, January 27, 2006

BEAVER COUNTY

Joshua Vannoy expected a little ribbing when he wore a John Elway jersey to Big Beaver Area Senior High School before the AFC Championship game pitting the Pittsburgh Steelers against the Denver Broncos.

But he didn't expect a teacher and classmates to turn on him, to have to stay home from school because he fears for his safety or to make national headlines.

His parents and attorney will meet with school officials today to see if he can drop a course without failing and if it's OK for him to return to school.

The controversy has even gotten the legendary Mr. Elway involved. The former Broncos quarterback sent Joshua, 17, a gift. Joshua will be watching the next game from an Elway Home reclining massage chair, with No. 7's signature on it.

Yachtzee
01-30-2006, 01:47 PM
The controversy has even gotten the legendary Mr. Elway involved. The former Broncos quarterback sent Joshua, 17, a gift. Joshua will be watching the next game from an Elway Home reclining massage chair, with No. 7's signature on it.

Rumor has it, Elway got the chair off of eBay from a user named d_miley2005. ;)