PDA

View Full Version : You be the GM

Strikes Out Looking
01-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Ok, you've just been hired by Mr. Castellini to run the team. He gives you your first assignment. He asks you for a list of the five starting pitchers that you believe would help the Reds, playing 81 games a year in the Great American Ballpark, the most for the next three to five years. Money is no object and the fact that the pitcher is under contract with someone else is not a factor. Who are your five? Do not worry about who or what will need to be given up to get the pitcher. Please remember he wants them long term
(3 to 5 years).

Discuss...

Bigredfan#1
01-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Prior, Santana, Oswalt, Halladay and Peavy - oh yeah lets get Nathan to close and Shields to set up while we are at it

schroomytunes
01-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Why not: Here's my 5

1)Dontrelle Willis
2)Jake Peavy
3)Roy Oswalt
4)Roy Halladay
5)Ben Sheets

cincyinco
01-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Roy Halladay
Francisco Liriano
Dontrelle Willis
Roy Oswalt

And I can't believe we're having a discussion like this without mentioning Mr. Brandon Webb. I like his ability to keep the ball in the friggin park.

Strikes Out Looking
01-24-2006, 05:03 PM
As I am channelling Mr. C, he's asked me to add: Just because he's asked for a list of 5 doesn't mean he expects alll 5 to be acquired by the Reds. He just wants a list for the organization to work on.

Nugget
01-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Mulder, Hudson, Peavy, Oliver Perez and Zito.

Mulder and Hudson have proven they can pitch for other teams besides those they came up in. Peavy is talented youngster. And on the basis that the REDS would need to be able to sign them and make better use of them than their current teams, Perez and Zito.

cincyinco
01-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Mulder, Hudson, Peavy, Oliver Perez and Zito.

Mulder and Hudson have proven they can pitch for other teams besides those they came up in. Peavy is talented youngster. And on the basis that the REDS would need to be able to sign them and make better use of them than their current teams, Perez and Zito.

Mulder's periphrials have been on the decline for a couple years now. I'm not sure how good he really is anymore or how good he will be in the future.

Zito gives up a lot of long balls and I'm not sure he'd be the greatest choice in GAB. I'm not even 100% sure he's the pitcher he once was. I worry that 2004 will start to look like the norm - and I think Beane shares those concerns, or did at one time.

Hudson is solid for sure, but lets face it. he doesn't really miss bats a whole lot. Whip is on the rise over the last 3 years. K rate isn't the strongest.

Lets face it, all 3 of the former Big Three also pitched in Oakland's park, which I understand was a pitchers park(too lazy to go look up park factors..). None of these guys are the defenition of young anymore aside from perhaps Zito. Hudson is 30. Zito is 27. Mulder 28 and hasn't exactly been the model of health. They're all good quality big league pitchers, but I would probably look elsewhere if I were in this situation as the Reds GM and could pick any 5 to focus on.

I don't know why I forgot to mention in a previous post "King" Felix of the M's is another pitcher I would target. I would try to get extremelly high end talent. For this scenario, if I can target anyone.. why are you not targetting pitchers who are as blue chip as a blue chip pitcher can get, are virtually ready for the majors, are 25 or so.. and not yet hit their prime.

Felix Rodriguez, Matt Cain, Francisco Liriano, Chad Billingsley, Johan Santana, Scott Kazmir, Kyle Davies, etc type pitchers not you're targets? Young, talented, and sky is the limit in regards to ceiling. Webb is another younger guy who while not an ace, keeps the ball on the ground and for the most part, in the park. Good Krate for a starter as well. Just needs to keeb the BB's under control, which I believe he can.

Sorry if this sounds like a big critique of your post, not meant to be. Just trying to make a point here and spark some discussion. I agree that we need to emulate Oakland's pitching model - but I don't agree that we should use their old parts.. ;)

RedLegSuperStar
01-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Dontrelle Willis
Oliver Perez
Roy Oswalt
Johan Santana
Felix Hernadez

dougflynn23
01-24-2006, 08:18 PM
:) My list would be Roy Oswalt, Mark Prior, Johan Santana, Zach Duke, and Mark Buehrle.

Nugget
01-24-2006, 08:55 PM
There were a couple of criteria to the post and whilst numb3rs is part of it not all. Not a great fan of sabermetrics (I hope Pedro is reading and giving me a tick for spelling).

1. There are five pitchers to get and you kind of need a couple of different pitchers in your teams.
2. I changed the parameters slightly in that they would need to fit with the REDS and be able to move.
3. Some proven history which is why they aren't all young up and comers.
4. There must be at least one left hander if not two.
5. And there must be some sort of improvement that they will show with the REDS as it can't be just a pipe dream because this may as well be posted in the Fantasy discussion.

RedsManRick
01-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Santana
Peavy
Willis
Halladay
Sheets

Were you aware Sheets had an 8.25 K/BB ratio over 237 IP in 2004? That's freaking insane!

Patrick Bateman
01-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Rich Harden needes to be included.

oregonred
01-24-2006, 09:53 PM
The J-team... Jimmy Haynes, Joey Hamilton, Josias "the Galloping Gonad" Manzanillo, Jimmy Andersen and Jose "the Human Gascan" Acevedo. All are available and ready for action.