PDA

View Full Version : Reds Minor Leaguer of the Year?

redsfan30
01-24-2006, 10:26 PM
The Reds 2005 Minor League player of the year will be announced at the LaSalle Sports Stag tomorrow night. He will then join the Reds on the Caravan throughout Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky over the weekend.

So, what are the predictions? Who will it be? Could Encarnacion get some consideration due to the fact that he spent most of 2005 in the system? Would they dare give it to a Travis Wood/Homer Bailey type?

JaxRed
01-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Got to be Denorfia

Caseyfan21
01-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Got to be Denorfia

That was what I was thinking. But I was hoping for Bailey or Wood just for the sake of getting autographs at the caravan.

KronoRed
01-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Denorfia, nobody else seems to be close.

redsfan30
01-25-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm bumping this up to the top so maybe we can get alittle more discussion on it this afternoon.

lollipopcurve
01-25-2006, 01:38 PM
I'd vote for Travis Wood, but it will be Denorfia.

Danny Serafini
01-25-2006, 02:11 PM
I want to know why it takes this long to announce last year's player of the year. They couldn't figure this out in October? That said, I'll be surprised if it's not Denorfia.

NC Reds
01-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Denorfia was consistently good at AA and AAA. He deserves it. Honorable mention to Wood, for his partial year of work.

Heath
01-25-2006, 02:30 PM
I think your winner is Denorfia.

EdE played too much in Cincinnati.

Steve Kelly coulda been - but he got hurt and baseball seasons last 6 months not 3.

princeton
01-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Would they dare give it to a Travis Wood/Homer Bailey type?

would they dare to cancel the award?

Gallen5862
01-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Maybe the Delay in naming the Minor league player of the year is that it got lost in Dano's Binder.:)

Chip R
01-25-2006, 02:35 PM
would they dare to cancel the award?

Hasn't this award been kind of a jinx to the person it was awarded to? Smitherman, Larson, etc?

gonelong
01-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Hasn't this award been kind of a jinx to the person it was awarded to? Smitherman, Larson, etc?

That would make it a pox on the organization that they either didn't have a true prospect to give it to, or couldn't figure out that AAAA guys are not the future of the organization.

GL

Chip R
01-25-2006, 03:22 PM
That would make it a pox on the organization that they either didn't have a true prospect to give it to, or couldn't figure out that AAAA guys are not the future of the organization.

GL

You think? :p:

gonelong
01-25-2006, 03:39 PM
You think? :p:

Yes, yes I do.:mooner:

GL

captainmorgan07
01-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Denorfia hopefully

RedsIn07
01-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Denorfia Is the Reds Minor League Palyer of the Year. Considering he's the only Reds player going to be at the La Salle Sports Stag tonight other than Dave Williams.

Chip R
01-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Denorfia Is the Reds Minor League Palyer of the Year. Considering he's the only Reds player going to be at the La Salle Sports Stag tonight other than Dave Williams.

Chris, we hardly knew ye.

princeton
01-25-2006, 04:18 PM

for many years, I've given out an Eric Davis award for most improved minor leaguer. It's been a very good predictor of major league success, with past winners including several current Reds

I'm deferring the 2005 award due to the fact that, well-- who actually improved?

RedsIn07
01-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Here's a list of all those expected to be there tonight:

From the Reds:
John Allen, Johnny Almaraez, Matt Arnold, Chief Bender, Gene Bennet, Zach Bonkowski, Rob Butcher, Phil Castellini, Chris Denorfia, Grant Griesser, Larry Herms, Joe Katuskia, Adam Katz, Brian Keys, Nick Krall, Brad Kullman, Leland Maddox, Tim Naehring, Jerry Narron, Jamie Ramsey, Terry Reynolds, Glenn Sample, Berniw Stowe, Rick Stowe, Dean Taylor, Mike Vassallo, Gary Wahoff, Bill White and Dave Williams.

Former Reds: Tommy Helms,Tom Browning, Doug Baer, Jim O' Toole

Media: John Fay, Steve Stewart, Andy Furman etc.

Chip R
01-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Here's a list of all those expected to be there tonight:

From the Reds:
John Allen, Johnny Almaraez, Matt Arnold, Chief Bender, Gene Bennet, Zach Bonkowski, Rob Butcher, Phil Castellini, Chris Denorfia, Grant Griesser, Larry Herms, Joe Katuskia, Adam Katz, Brian Keys, Nick Krall, Brad Kullman, Leland Maddox, Tim Naehring, Jerry Narron, Jamie Ramsey, Terry Reynolds, Glenn Sample, Berniw Stowe, Rick Stowe, Dean Taylor, Mike Vassallo, Gary Wahoff, Bill White and Dave Williams.

Former Reds: Tommy Helms,Tom Browning, Doug Baer, Jim O' Toole

Media: John Fay, Steve Stewart, Andy Furman etc.

Geez, who's holding down the fort at GAB?

TRF
01-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Denorfia is the likely pick, though I also like Javon Moran. He was an OBP machine at two levels with speed. I'm looking forward to following him at AA this year.

BrooklynRedz
01-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Denorfia is the winner.

RedsIn07
01-25-2006, 07:16 PM
From Marc's blog, you can't really ask for a better attitude then what he's showing:
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Denorfia honored

After posting impressive numbers at the top two levels in the Reds' farm system last season before making it to Cincinnati in September, Chris Denorfia has been named the organization's minor league player of the year for 2005.

Starting the year at Chattanooga, Denorfia hit .330 with 17 doubles, three triples and seven home runs in 46 games for the Lookouts. That earned him a promotion to Louisville, where he hit .310 with 12 doubles, six triples and 13 home runs in 91 games. He would hit .263 in 18 appearances for the Reds in September as he positioned himself to make the team out of spring training this year.

I caught up with Denorfia a couple of hours ago as he was preparing to head to the La Salle stag tonight. He'd just come from a workout at Great American Ball Park, and it sounds like he hasn't slowed down much the entire offseason.

After he got back from the Arizona Fall League, he spent a couple of weeks at home in Connecticut before heading to Sarasota, where he owns a place. He said he's been working out at the Reds' complex about five days a week the whole offseason.

"Iím really just looking to go in there healthy and to give myself every opportunity to show them that I belong up there every day," he said. "The decision-making process, obviously I have nothing to do with that, but what I can control is just how hard I go out there and play every day, and hopefully the rest will take care of itself."

Heath
01-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Geez, who's holding down the fort at GAB?

or worse yet - who's running WLW -

Matt - we know YOU run the place....

KittyDuran
01-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Hasn't this award been kind of a jinx to the person it was awarded to? Smitherman, Larson, etc?Didn't Dunn win it the first year that it was renamed after Chief Bender?:confused:

Unassisted
01-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Didn't Dunn win it the first year that it was renamed after Chief Bender?:confused:Kearns won it in 2000. Dunn won it the following year. The list is at the end of this article.

http://www.noticias.info/asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=140312&src=0

MLB: REDS: Denorfia named Reds' top Minor Leaguer

To receive Chief Bender Award tonight At LaSalle High School stag
CINCINNATI -- OF Chris Denorfia has been named winner of the 2005 Sheldon "Chief" Bender Award as the Cincinnati Reds' Minor League Player of the Year.

Reds director of player development Tim Naehring will present the award tonight at the LaSalle High School sports stag. Also scheduled to attend the annual dinner are manager Jerry Narron and new Reds pitcher Dave Williams. Hall of Fame pitcher Phil Niekro is this evening's guest speaker.

Denorfia, 25, spent the 2005 minor league season at Class AA Chattanooga and Class AAA Louisville, where in 137 games he combined to hit .317 with 20 HR, 87 RBI and 12 stolen bases. When he was promoted after rosters expanded in September, he became the first player selected by the Reds in the 2002 draft to play in the Major Leagues.

Following the season he participated in the prestigious Arizona Fall League, where he was an All-Star after hitting .333 with 3 HR, 24 RBI and 3 steals in 23 appearances for Mesa. Denorfia enters the 2006 season rated by Baseball America as the fifth-best prospect in the entire organization.

Denorfia will participate in the first 2 days of the Reds Winter Caravan, which kicks off tomorrow night with a stop at Pinheads in northeast Indianapolis (5:00 to 7:00 p.m.) and includes stops on Friday at the Lima Mall (noon to 2:00) and Flannagan's Dublin in Columbus (5:00 to 7:00). The caravan continues Saturday with visits to Fricker's in the Dayton suburb of West Carrollton (noon to 2:00) and the Louisville Slugger Museum (5:00 to 7:00). It concludes Sunday with stops at the Ashland Town Center (noon to 2:00) and Champion Sports Lexington in Nicholasville (5:00 to 7:00).

Also participating in the Winter Caravan are Narron, Williams (Indianapolis, Lima, Columbus only), Reds on Radio broadcasters Marty Brennaman and Steve Stewart, senior director of business operations Phil Castellini, new Reds Hall of Famers Tom Browning (Louisville, Ashland, Lexington) and Lee May and players Todd Coffey (Dayton, Louisville, Ashland, Lexington), Kent Mercker (Columbus) and Austin Kearns (Nicholasville). Mr. Red also will make each stop, as will a traveling exhibit from the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum. At each stop, the Reds will raffle off 2 tickets to Opening Day.

The club's minor league player of the year award is named after Sheldon "Chief" Bender, who recently retired after 64 years in baseball. He spent the last 39 years with the Reds in their scouting and player development departments.

Sheldon "Chief" Bender Award
Reds' Minor League Player of the Year

2005 - OF Chris Denorfia

2004 - RHP Richie Gardner

2003 - OF Stephen Smitherman

2002 - 3B Brandon Larson

2001 - OF Adam Dunn

2000 - OF Austin Kearns

Chip R
01-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Didn't Dunn win it the first year that it was renamed after Chief Bender?:confused:
He seems to have been the only one to escape the jinx in recent years. Kearns hasn't done squat since Ray King sat on him and he was even sent down to AAA last year. Larson and Smitherman are busts, and Gardner went down with an injury. I pity Chris Denorfia. :(