PDA

View Full Version : Chris Denorfia

Krusty
01-26-2006, 12:49 AM
I want to know if this kid is ready for The Show. Seems like he accelerated through the farm system with no problem last year. Denorfia's season saw him make the leap from Double-A to Triple-A to the big leagues. He hit .317 with 20 homers and 87 RBIs and 12 stolen bases in the Minors. He was promoted to the Reds on Sept. 6 and made seven starts (four games in center field, two in right field and one in left field).

With Denorfia's 2005 season, will that make it easier for the front office to possibly trade Kearns?

wheels
01-26-2006, 12:54 AM
If they traded Kearns, I wouldn't mind seeing them shift Junior to a corner, and give Denorfia a look as the everyday CF.

I think Boss brought it up in another thread and it makes good sense to me.

kheidg-
01-26-2006, 01:51 AM
I don't think they should trade Kearns at this time. Keep Denorfia as 4th OF and see what happens this year with Kearns/Griff/Mo.

KronoRed
01-26-2006, 06:01 AM
If a spot does open up I'm all for playing Deno, he won't dazzle but I think he'd be solid.

buckeyenut
01-26-2006, 06:30 AM
My hope would be that we break camp with Deno as 4th OF and Stratton in AAA. I hope both and our current OFers perform well enough that we make a deal that nets us a lot of pitching, Deno can now start in CF and Stratton can be your bat off the bench.

membengal
01-26-2006, 07:03 AM
I saw Denorfia a few times at AA last year, and he is really, really competent on a baseball field. Good plate coverage, good eye, runs the bases well, knows his way around the outfield.

He has also worked really hard this off-season, reportedly. I think he is a very good candidate to make an impact on the team, and real soon.

marcshoe
01-26-2006, 09:17 AM
I think the team will be all right if they trade an outfielder and give him a spot. I don't think he'll hurt the team, and he may surprise people.

Krusty
01-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Denorfia's quick rise noticed
Is Reds minor-leaguer of year after jump from Double-A to bigs
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
Anyone who goes from Double-A to the big leagues in one season has a pretty good chance of being named the minor-league player of the year in any organization.

Chris Denorfia, who pulled off the Chattanooga-to-the-majors rise, received the Sheldon "Chief" Bender Award as Reds minor-league player of the year Wednesday night at the La Salle Sports Stag.

"He has that quality where he's always going to play hard and get the most out of his ability," said Tim Naehring, the Reds' director of player development. "He plays with great intensity. He had a great year."

Denorfia, 25, started the season at Chattanooga and earned a midseason promotion to Triple-A Louisville. His combined minor-league numbers - .317, 20 home runs, 87 RBI and 12 stolen bases - earned him a September call-up with the Reds.

Denorfia, a 19th-round pick in 2002, became the first player selected by the Reds that year to make the big leagues.

Denorfia played in the prestigious Arizona Fall League after the season.

He made the All-Star team after hitting .333 with three homers, 24 RBI and three steals in 23 appearances for Mesa.

Denorfia goes into spring training as a strong candidate for one of the Reds' extra outfielder spots.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

Doc. Scott
01-26-2006, 10:50 AM
He may struggle as the league figures him out, but I see no reason to leave him at AAA with his age and skills. He may find himself there anyway come Opening Day, however, given that he's got plenty of options.

reds44
01-26-2006, 10:57 AM
As others have said, I would feel okay with Deno as one of our staring OFers this year. However if we were to trade Kearns or Pena, don't you think Freel would slide in and be one of our starting outfielders.

And I just don't see Jr. moving to the COF.

KronoRed
01-26-2006, 11:31 AM
As others have said, I would feel okay with Deno as one of our staring OFers this year. However if we were to trade Kearns or Pena, don't you think Freel would slide in and be one of our starting outfielders.

And start Womack or Aurilia? UGH! :eek:

Of course, they will be starters anyway, but a dream lineup has Freel at 2b leading off.

reds44
01-26-2006, 11:43 AM
And start Womack or Aurilia? UGH! :eek:

Of course, they will be starters anyway, but a dream lineup has Freel at 2b leading off.

I agree with that, but I think Womack or RA will be our starting 2B this year.

I can only pray EE starts at 3rd.

RFS62
01-26-2006, 11:47 AM
If we can't get what we want for Kearns now, Denorfia needs to be in a place where he can still get regular at bats and playing time. I don't want him to rot on the bench in Cincy.

RedsManRick
01-26-2006, 11:59 AM
I posted briefy on Marc's blog the other day, but I was looking at Denorfia's age & skill set and he strikes me very much as Brady Clark redux. A guy who's not supremely talented (maybe 'gifted' is the better word), but is well rounded, works hard, and could be a real contributor if given the opportunity.

You don't want to have to count on him at this point, but if we do trade an OF, I think we could do a lot worse than giving him an opportunity to get consistent at bats at the major league level. The line he put was very similar to Clarks first stint as our #4 guy in 2001, only Chris is 2 years younger than Clark was.

WebScorpion
01-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Denorfia reminds me a lot of another guy who came up through the Reds system...Brady Clark. Same kind of fire and work ethic...not spectacular but they just go out there and do it every day. Constantly improving too, so you never know how high they can go when given the chance. I don't think he'd rot as a 4th outfielder, he's the type that'll be ready to play at any time and will capitalize on any time he does get. Sure, he'd benefit from regular reps, but he'll be better than anyone but Griffey off the bench. Griffey is the exception to all the rules...that guy can hit when he falls out of bed, hell he can probably hit BEFORE he wakes up. That's another story... Keep Denorfia as our 4th OF and let him grow, it's nice to have a hard worker pushing the 'gifted' guys. ;)

gm
01-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Denorfia reminds me a lot of another guy who came up through the Reds system...Brady Clark. Same kind of fire and work ethic...not spectacular but they just go out there and do it every day. Constantly improving too, so you never know how high they can go when given the chance. I don't think he'd rot as a 4th outfielder, he's the type that'll be ready to play at any time and will capitalize on any time he does get. Sure, he'd benefit from regular reps, but he'll be better than anyone but Griffey off the bench. Griffey is the exception to all the rules...that guy can hit when he falls out of bed, hell he can probably hit BEFORE he wakes up. That's another story... Keep Denorfia as our 4th OF and let him grow, it's nice to have a hard worker pushing the 'gifted' guys. ;)

Agree re: Deno being ready off the bench, 4th OFer may be his ceiling...but the same was once said about Clark and Brady's proven to be an above-average starting CF'er.

Disagree re: Griffey. IIRC, his OPS as a pinch hitter/DH is well below his career averages as a regular.

pedro
01-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Could he really be worse than Reggie Taylor or Jason Romano?

I haven't really looked at the 25 man roster but I've been assuming he'll make the major league club this year, with or without a trade. Am I wrong?

KronoRed
01-27-2006, 01:58 AM
Unless they bring in some more "veteran playoff presence"

TC81190
01-27-2006, 10:00 PM
COFs are a dime a dozen. Case in point, Chris Denorfia. He makes Austin Kearns expendable. Which is good, cause he might be able to net us some pitching.

paulrichjr
01-27-2006, 10:24 PM
I am just curious to know if anyone who followed the Reds farm system (a lot) noticed this guy 1 or 2 years ago. It seems he came out of no where last year. I don't remember him being mentioned all that much. I know our farm system gets a lot of criticism sometimes and rightfully so when it comes to pitching but it seems that every year at least one player comes up that makes a difference. Last year we had possibly 2 when you add in EdE.

Aronchis
01-27-2006, 10:30 PM
I am just curious to know if anyone who followed the Reds farm system (a lot) noticed this guy 1 or 2 years ago. It seems he came out of no where last year. I don't remember him being mentioned all that much. I know our farm system gets a lot of criticism sometimes and rightfully so when it comes to pitching but it seems that every year at least one player comes up that makes a difference. Last year we had possibly 2 when you add in EdE.

Denorfia struggled in high A during the 2003 season, started there in 2004 again and began to rake. Got promoted to AA mid-season and continued to rake. Started in AA in 05 and continued to rake, went to AAA and...........continued to rake.

Must have been some development bump from 2003 to 2004.

Doc. Scott
01-27-2006, 10:34 PM

He was pretty much considered nothing from the start after coming out of college as a senior. The Reds stuck him in the GCL to start his pro career, showing a complete lack of regard, and he hit .340 (albeit with no homers) so he got skipped up to High-A Potomac for 2003. Flopping terribly there (.236/.317/.304), he had to repeat. 2004 saw a much, much better line in High-A (.312/.416/.532) then mediocrity in AA (.249/.340/.394). That year he was 24, so killing the ball in the hitter-lovin' Carolina League is no mean feat. Now that I look at it, he was probably never considered a serious prospect until he moved to Louisville last year midseason and was raking from day one.

Really, it took a season-long hot streak and a near-complete absence of prospect-age competition (there are always Romanos and Hoppers around) to propel Chris to where he is now. I'm not trying to crack on him; if one thing's clear it's that he's done nothing but hike a straight upward curve of improvement since Opening Day 2004.

KronoRed
01-28-2006, 02:52 AM
So we should be weary of the 1 year wonder syndrome? (ala Steve Smitherman)

Aronchis
01-28-2006, 04:38 AM
So we should be weary of the 1 year wonder syndrome? (ala Steve Smitherman)

SteveS never had success in AAA like Denorfia did however, it is possible he is a late blooming CF.

Big Klu
01-28-2006, 12:48 PM
I posted briefy on Marc's blog the other day, but I was looking at Denorfia's age & skill set and he strikes me very much as Brady Clark redux.

Denorfia reminds me a lot of another guy who came up through the Reds system...Brady Clark.

Hopefully Chris Denorfia projects as another Brady Clark, and not as another Steve Gibralter, Pat Watkins, or Mike Frank.

I think Denorfia will be very serviceable as a 4th outfielder who can fill in at all three OF spots, but I am hesitant about trading one of the Big Three of Peņa, Griffey, and Kearns, and handing him a starting job.

TC81190
01-28-2006, 12:53 PM
I don't know Kearns is a big anything anymore other than maybe a gut. :p: