PDA

View Full Version : Krivsky officially on the list...

Wheelhouse
01-26-2006, 06:03 PM
per Marc's blog

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Aronchis
01-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Even though he doesn't have experience, he has been essentially Co-GM with Ryan over the last few years and has the "organizational" ability Cast may be looking for rather than a personal guy. Though he hasn't gotten a job of his own yet, which is a negative factor and he isn't a SABRE guy.

My guess is:
Kullman
Beattie
Krivisky
Ant
Hill
Wren

Wheelhouse
01-26-2006, 06:10 PM
You realize your fourth and fifth on the list spell anthill :)

Matt700wlw
01-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Wren

Stimpy as assistant GM :D

Reds4Life
01-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Sounds like he's going to be one of the first interviews. I'd much rather have Krivsky than Beattie.

creek14
01-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Ant
Wren
These two could really cause a lot of problems for RCast's veggie business.

NewEraReds
01-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Sounds like he's going to be one of the first interviews. I'd much rather have Krivsky than Beattie.
first? i thought they said they were going to intervie up to 8 people in the next 2 weeks. really gona be rushing next week if hes the first

Reds4Life
01-26-2006, 06:52 PM
first? i thought they said they were going to intervie up to 8 people in the next 2 weeks. really gona be rushing next week if hes the first

It's 6-8 people over the next 3-4 weeks, and bringing him in next week isn't rushing anything.

NewEraReds
01-26-2006, 07:01 PM
its rushing if we were interiewing 8 guys next week ;)

Mario-Rijo
01-26-2006, 07:03 PM
I hope they interview Dan Jennings of the Marlins, a thread on the ORG I read got me interested in this guy!

Wheelhouse
01-26-2006, 07:04 PM
I don't know if it's rushing--I'm sure BobCast has been considering this issue for some time now, i.e., ever since it became clear he had a shot at acquiring the Reds...

NewEraReds
01-26-2006, 07:24 PM
I don't know if it's rushing--I'm sure BobCast has been considering this issue for some time now, i.e., ever since it became clear he had a shot at acquiring the Reds...
you guys need to read my post, i never said he WAS rushing. i said if we are interviewing 8 guys in 2 weeks, and our first interview is next week, we are rushing. but its not 2weeks, so its not rushing

M2
01-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Stimpy as assistant GM :D

I figured Wren to be the frontrunner the other day. He's been a GM and he's got that big, fat Braves pedigree.

But now I want him to get the job so I can do stuff like this:

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/05/23/renandstimpy_wideweb__430x309.jpg

"You bloated sack of protoplasm!"

Henry Clay
01-26-2006, 11:35 PM
I don't see where 8 interviews in 2 weeks is rushing. Under Dan O'Brien and John Allen, that might be seen as a rash process, but I don't think a sloth-like pace is necessary. Just like players, draftees, and managers, these candidates have records and philosophies. Whether the owners spend 2 hours with each or a full day, it shouldn't make a difference. The important aspects should be known beforehand or in the first few minutes of the meeting, assuming the interviewers have a game plan. I have recruited lawyers and law students for years. A resume tells me a lot. So does a person's past work product and references. Everyone can have a good moment or a bad one on interview day. I have interviewed folks in as little time as 15 minutes. Two of my best hires came through phone interviews. I had already seen their resumes, writing samples, and other information. But I knew what I wanted. If ownership knows what it is looking for, I think they can stack interviews and be done in a week. Beattie and Antonelli are not comparable. Either you want a young stat-minded guy who is associated with a small market franchise or you want an old-school, former player, "baseball guy" who has worked in a number of organizations and has some player development experience (Beattie is a little too young to be, as Edward Bennett Williams once put it, an old guy who sits around wearing a windbreaker watching baseball. Nevertheless, he is a "baseball guy."). Krivsky is a guy who built a strong farm system and sustained a small market miracle in Minnesota. He is not the same as Kullman, who knows the Reds' system, but doesn't have a track record of success, except for a few months in 2003. Each of these guys has a set of experiences, organizational pedigree(s), and philosophy regarding drafting players/relevance of stats/GABP tendencies/and money. Minaya clearly failed the test in the first few minutes of the interview with Lindner & Co. O'Brien won with the binder and stories of trips to Crosley with his dad. Krivsky apparently won the process with Allen because of some aspect of his approach to turning around the team. Allen and Lindner must have gone into the process with different expectations and criteria. I think ownership needs to get on the same page before the interviews -- spend more time on that and the candidates' backgrounds, references, and known philosophies -- and use the interviews to confirm or reject preconceived notions. The process can't take over. It's like shopping at Christmas time. Figure out what you want to buy before you go to the store. Let the trip through the store and merchandise determine if you were right in your assumptions and then decide among like goods. Only a few of these candidates appear to be like goods.

BrooklynRedz
01-26-2006, 11:45 PM
If nothing else, Wren is the anti-DanO. The number of moves he made in his one year in Baltimore are staggering. Click here (http://www.oobleck.com/orioles/trans/transact1999.html). He's an interesting candidate to say the least. Also, Wren and Beattie each have a history with the Expos and O's, though not overlapping.

HotCorner
01-26-2006, 11:50 PM
Anybody have a take on Kim Ng?

TeamBoone
01-27-2006, 12:11 AM
01/26/2006 6:15 PM ET

Reds to interview Twins assistant GM
Krivsky is one of two known candidates for Cincinnati job
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- On Thursday, the Twins granted permission for the Reds to interview assistant general manager Wayne Krivsky for their vacant GM's job.
The interview date and time was not revealed, but it will be held between Krivsky and Reds chief executive officer Bob Castellini some time next week in Cincinnati. The club did not release any other names of candidates.

Reds chief operating officer John Allen phoned Krivsky with the news Thursday afternoon.

"We had a nice talk," Krivsky said. "I'm looking forward to sitting down and talking with [Castellini]."

Krivsky has been an assistant GM for Minnesota under general manager Terry Ryan since 1994 after spending 14 years in the same position with the Rangers. The small-market Twins won three consecutive American League Central titles from 2002-04 and have earned praise from the industry for successfully competing on a limited budget.

Part of Krivsky's duties for the Twins includes negotiating multiyear contracts and handling arbitration cases. He is the team's main National League scout, which should make him familiar with the Reds.

During their previous GM opening in 2003, the Reds made Krivsky a finalist for the job that ultimately went to Dan O'Brien. It is believed that he had the support of Allen, but that former owner Carl Lindner overruled him and selected O'Brien.

Four days after he assumed control of the team from Lindner, Castellini dismissed O'Brien on Monday after two seasons.

"It's a fact I met with the Reds 2 1/2 years ago, and it's flattering that they want to talk with me again," Krivsky said. "It's a different owner and a different time, but I'm just flattered they want to talk again."

Interim GM Brad Kullman, Cincinnati's director of baseball operations, is the only other known candidate. Former Expos and Orioles GM Jim Beattie, who became Castellini's special advisor to evaluate the pitching program, is believed to also be a contender.

After terminating O'Brien, Castellini said he planned to interview six to eight candidates for the job, with the process taking up to three to four weeks.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060126&content_id=1301411&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

CincyRedsFan30
01-27-2006, 02:15 AM
Reds to interview Krivsky for GM spot

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

The Reds will formally begin the interview process for their general manager position next week. Minnesota Twins assistant GM Wayne Krivsky will be the first to interview.

Krivsky, 51, was the other finalist in 2003 when the team hired Dan O'Brien.

"I'm flattered that they've invited me back, and I'm looking forward to talking to (new owner) Bob Castellini and (COO) John Allen," said Krivsky, in his 30th year in pro baseball.

Krivsky is involved in all Twins contract talks and free-agent signings. He is on the road much of the season scouting the National League. He also watched the team's minor-league affiliates and the Arizona Fall League.

Cleveland assistant GM Chris Antonetti also will interview. Antonetti, 30, is strong in computer analysis and studies financial structures of all teams. He was an intern in 1997 for then-Expos GM Jim Beattie, who was hired this week as a Reds special advisor.

KronoRed
01-27-2006, 03:00 AM
Anybody have a take on Kim Ng?
Reds aren't that progressive.

OnBaseMachine
01-27-2006, 07:41 AM
Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM!Antonetti for GM!

vaticanplum
01-27-2006, 11:05 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-BBN-Reds-GM-Search.html

Heath
01-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM! Antonetti for GM!Antonetti for GM!

I thought he was a wonderful pitcher for the Giants ;)

fourrunhomer
01-27-2006, 12:08 PM
For some reason, I'm missing about half the posts from this thread. So, I'm not sure if anyone else has said this but, Krivsky is the person I am most impressed with so far. This is strictly based on the organization he comes from. Minnesota has had fair to good organization for several years with a market/money situation similar to the Reds. I realize Krivsky has not been the top man, but he has been a part of their success. I have never been a Beattie fan and I'm not very impressed with the Orioles organization. They are not afraid to spend the money, but they can't seem to spend it on the right people to field a winner. As for Kullman, I don't dislike him, but I feel it would be best to look outside the organization. Whoever is chosen, I hope they do not have a one demension philosophy. By that, I mean I hope we don't get someone who looks only for 5 tool players (who would do that?) who have endless raw talent but don't know how to use it, or someone who looks only at stats(though this is an importent component; it may have saved about $25 million on a homerun pitcher) but puts a team on the field with no chemistry. And above all,avoid like the plague anyone who signs/trades for people for no apparent reason other than they were available. We need someone who can judge talent based on skill, performance, and how they fit with the team. And please let them develop the farm system.
Sidenote based on another thread but relevent to this one. Thank goodness there is no more taking first strikes and 75pitch counts on the farm. Aside from pitch to contact these are two of the dumbest philosophies ever. Could there be a correlation between these two rules in the minors and our hitters having such high strikeouts and pitchers not getting past th 6th inning?

NewEraReds
01-27-2006, 12:13 PM
i disagree that he comes from the best organization. hes just been a known commodity for longer. i just hope he doesnt get the job just because he was a finalist last time. give it to the best guy. if it happens to be him, GREAT. but if its hill, jennings, ANTONETTI, hint hint, or whoever, then hire them

fourrunhomer
01-27-2006, 12:23 PM
I did not mean that I think the Twins are the best organization. Just that their situation is similar to the Reds' and I think he would be a good fit. If one of the other candidates is a better fit by all means I would want them hired instead. Just please give us a winner soon and an organiztion as a whole that is solid.

NewEraReds
01-27-2006, 12:30 PM
I did not mean that I think the Twins are the best organization. Just that their situation is similar to the Reds' and I think he would be a good fit. If one of the other candidates is a better fit by all means I would want them hired instead. Just please give us a winner soon and an organiztion as a whole that is solid.
yes, definitely. i just think florida and cleveland are somewhat similar as well and have proven to be better organizations, IN MY OPINION ;)

fourrunhomer
01-27-2006, 12:54 PM
yes, definitely. i just think florida and cleveland are somewhat similar as well and have proven to be better organizations, IN MY OPINION ;)

It's hard to argue about the Marlins because of the Championships, but I think overall they have not been better. Not necessarily because of the people running the day to day stuff. I actually have to tip my hat to them for being able to put the teams on the field that they have with having to deal with the selloffs they have endured because of the struggles between ownership and the city/county/state. To rebuild the way they did, I guess I'll give them two tips of the hat. However, when they have won money, hasn't seemed to be as much of an issue. That seems to come into play when the are bargaining(blackmailing) for a stadium.
I would say that Clevelend and Minnesota are very similar and apart from them being in the American League and not being the Reds wouldn't mind seeing either of them winning the series. However, isn't the guy from Clevelend the numbers guy? As you can see from my previous post I'm not real big on strictly stats guys. I know some people can't get enough of them though.
Anyway, I think we agree we're sure to end up with an improvement.

NewEraReds
01-27-2006, 12:59 PM
hes both, i believe. also, cant judge an organization(gm, assistant gm, etc) on their owner. im only looking at the personnel moves they make, and for that, they have been great. i think a person from florida, cleveland, minny make the most sense

fourrunhomer
01-27-2006, 01:01 PM
hes both, i believe. also, cant judge an organization(gm, assistant gm, etc) on their owner. im only looking at the personnel moves they make, and for that, they have been great. i think a person from florida, cleveland, minny make the most sense

Agreed.

Heath
01-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Antonelli is out, per Marc's blog.

Sorry.

NewEraReds
01-27-2006, 03:03 PM
no kidding :)

MikeS21
01-27-2006, 05:12 PM
I really think of the names I've heard batted around, Antonelli would have been my first choice. I cringe at the thought of Beattie getting the job, or any of the Cardinals' FO folks. I've not been impressed with either the Orioles or the Cards' farm systems.

I have no doubt Krivsky would be an upgrade over O'Brien, but for some reason, he doesn't leave me with a "Wow!" impression. I know he comes from a successful organization, but I guess I've just not heard him mentioned among the young flashy GM's-in-training that I think most of us would love to have.

I'm going to have to do a little more research on him before I can get excited about him.