PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone a tad worried about all these "old icons" at Spring Training?

Wheelhouse
01-26-2006, 06:08 PM
I mean, no one would love to wander around the Sarasota complex and see Foster, Sabo, Soto, Browning et al. on the grounds. But wasn't there a "too many cooks in the kitchen" problem not too long ago in the Reds coaching? Are these guys going to be coaching the players or are they a presence of tradition. I'm not clear on that, and I'm not so sure the "old icons" are either. Maybe I'm over-reacting and Narron hass all this in check...

Unassisted
01-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Hopefully, those guys will spend more time meeting and greeting the Reds fans at ST than providing any real instruction. In any case, it will be a good test of Narron's managerial skills (in the business sense rather than the baseball sense) to use the icons effectively, and to make sure their messages are consistent with the club's training philosophies for each position/skill.

AFAIK, Bench has gone to ST to work with the catchers every year since he retired. I've never heard of that being a problem.

RedsManRick
01-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Too many cooks > too few cooks. Besides, it's not like a gourmet meal is at stake here...

creek14
01-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Yeah Wheel, I am. If we get back to everybody and his brother tinkering with Dunn at the plate again, especially when he is learning a newish position, it could be a disaster. :thumbdown

But just let me add, I would be happy to tinker with Dunn anytime, anywhere. :devil: :mooner:

Cedric
01-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Adam Dunn never failed on his own. It's part of his mythology.

westofyou
01-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Adam Dunn never failed on his own. It's part of his mythology.
Zeus exiled the Titans who had fought against him into Tartarus.

During the war of the TITANS, Adam Dunn stormed Olympus and threatened the Reds Brass. And as punishment for this war crime, BOONE/MILEY/NARRON (a secret cabal of light hitting catchers) sentenced him to hold up the Reds and bear their weight on his shoulders forever.

Maldonado
01-26-2006, 09:02 PM
"I mean, no one would love to wander around the Sarasota complex and see Foster, Sabo, Soto, Browning et al. on the grounds. But wasn't there a "too many cooks in the kitchen" problem not too long ago in the Reds coaching? Are these guys going to be coaching the players or are they a presence of tradition. I'm not clear on that, and I'm not so sure the "old icons" are either. Maybe I'm over-reacting and Narron hass all this in check..."
______
Personally I'd love to see the old icons in Sarasota as it would help to make the arguably worst spring training facility in Florida a little more interesting.

Cedric
01-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Zeus exiled the Titans who had fought against him into Tartarus.

During the war of the TITANS, Adam Dunn stormed Olympus and threatened the Reds Brass. And as punishment for this war crime, BOONE/MILEY/NARRON (a secret cabal of light hitting catchers) sentenced him to hold up the Reds and bear their weight on his shoulders forever.

Exactly! :)

RFS62
01-26-2006, 09:40 PM
I think it's just marketing. Reds Tradition.

Doesn't bother me at all.

George Foster
01-26-2006, 09:47 PM
All of these Guys except for Soto, have one thing in common...World Series Rings. They need to be there. They know how and what it takes to win! Everyone of them have something to offer. It's a great idea.

savafan
01-27-2006, 02:50 AM
AFAIK, Bench has gone to ST to work with the catchers every year since he retired. I've never heard of that being a problem.

Yeah, but look how well that's turned out:

Dann Bilardello
Brad Gulden
Dave Van Gorder
Alex Trevino
Bo Diaz
Sal Butera
Terry McGriff
Lloyd McClendon
Jeff Reed
Joe Oliver
Glenn Sutko
Donnie Scott
Troy Afenir
Dan Wilson
Rick Wrona
Brian Dorsett
Eddie Taubensee
Benito Santiago
Damon Berryhill
Brook Fordyce
Brian Johnson
Jason LaRue
Kelly Stinnett
Corky Miller
Dane Sardinha
Javier Valentin
Miguel Perez

There's a lot of all-stars and hall of famers on that list. ;)

KronoRed
01-27-2006, 03:07 AM
Nobody should mess with Dunn..he's FINE as is.

Mess with Pena, Kearns, the pitchers.

Redsland
01-27-2006, 11:05 PM
I think it's just marketing. Reds Tradition.
Exactly. Soto and Browning are there to work with the pitchers, but Bench, Foster, Griffey Sr., and the other old-timers are there to awe the kids and teach them what it means to be a member of the Cincinnati Freakin Reds.

Who dey, if you will.

marcshoe
01-27-2006, 11:20 PM
The other night I, out of some sense that I hadn't experienced enough pain that day, listened to Andy Furman on my way home from work. Tracy Jones was in the studio with him, ranting about how the Reds should not offer Dunn a LTC and should trade him for pitching if they had a chance or some such thing. Joe Price dropped by, talking about how he'd been at the press conference by invitation. Tracy asked why he hadn't been invited.

And suddenly I trusted the new ownership. No invitation for Tracy Jones. That's all I need to know. :cool:

TeamBoone
01-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Do any of the well-spoken, baseball-savvy members of Redszone ever call into Furman (or anyone else for that matter) and dazzle him with an intelligent opinion backed up by fact (e.g., LTC for Adam as well as many other important topics)?

If not, please do. Anyone? I'm serious.

And if he cuts you off, cut him off right back.

KronoRed
01-28-2006, 04:05 AM
People who don't bash K's and praise small ball aren't allowed on those shows TB ;)

KronoRed
01-28-2006, 04:05 AM
No invitation for Tracy Jones. That's all I need to know. :cool:
BUT BUT..HE PLAYED THE GAME! :evil:

George Foster
01-28-2006, 09:56 PM

Dann Bilardello
Brad Gulden
Dave Van Gorder
Alex Trevino
Bo Diaz
Sal Butera
Terry McGriff
Lloyd McClendon
Jeff Reed
Joe Oliver
Glenn Sutko
Donnie Scott
Troy Afenir
Dan Wilson
Rick Wrona
Brian Dorsett
Eddie Taubensee
Benito Santiago
Damon Berryhill
Brook Fordyce
Brian Johnson
Jason LaRue
Kelly Stinnett
Corky Miller
Dane Sardinha
Javier Valentin
Miguel Perez

Bench is not responsible for the Dan Wilson trade.

Rocket_Fuel
01-29-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm perfectly happy with it. There are so many people that the players can learn from, I love it! You can never have to many teachers.

Rocket_Fuel
01-29-2006, 12:07 PM

Dann Bilardello
Brad Gulden
Dave Van Gorder
Alex Trevino
Bo Diaz
Sal Butera
Terry McGriff
Lloyd McClendon
Jeff Reed
Joe Oliver
Glenn Sutko
Donnie Scott
Troy Afenir
Dan Wilson
Rick Wrona
Brian Dorsett
Eddie Taubensee
Benito Santiago
Damon Berryhill
Brook Fordyce
Brian Johnson
Jason LaRue
Kelly Stinnett
Corky Miller
Dane Sardinha
Javier Valentin
Miguel Perez

Who said All-Stars? All we needed was for them to be productive. Last I checked, Joe Oliver was a big part of us having a World Series ring, Eddie Taubensee helped us win a division title, and LaRue helped us win 96 games and play in a one game playoff. And Benito Santiago has had a pretty good career, helping the Reds to some solid season and having a NL championship ring. You don't have to have a player be a Hall-of-Fame player because he was taught by one.

westofyou
01-29-2006, 12:26 PM
nd LaRue helped us win 96 games and play in a one game playoff. LaRue wasn't the catcher on that team Eddie was, LaRue had 90 ab's

TeamBoone
01-29-2006, 02:23 PM
I think it says a lot about the organization that these players even want to do this.

How many other teams have SEVERAL retired players who many years after the fact still want to lend a hand in helping to rebuild the team they used to play for? Maybe there are, but if so, I've not heard about it.

vic715
01-29-2006, 03:12 PM
How are these "Old Icons" going to hurt a team that went 73-89 last year?

savafan
01-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Who said All-Stars? All we needed was for them to be productive. Last I checked, Joe Oliver was a big part of us having a World Series ring, Eddie Taubensee helped us win a division title, and LaRue helped us win 96 games and play in a one game playoff. And Benito Santiago has had a pretty good career, helping the Reds to some solid season and having a NL championship ring. You don't have to have a player be a Hall-of-Fame player because he was taught by one.

I'm not saying that they all stunk Rocket_Fuel, I like a lot of guys on that list. My post was a bit facetious, hence the smilie.

MartyFan
01-29-2006, 08:46 PM
I don't think they will be giving coaching instructions but "team" instructions...you know, the guys are all very good...they have rings...but it could be argued that none of them were cornerstone plyers of their WS teams...or long term GREATS...or whatever...they acomplished the good things "TOGETHER" not all by themselves.

I realize Foster signed the richest contract of his day but he was a bust in NY after that.

Big Klu
01-30-2006, 12:34 AM
Bo Diaz was an All-Star.