PDA

View Full Version : I am so PUMPED for the World Baseball Classic!!!

redsrule2500
01-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Nope. :rolleyes:

RFS62
01-26-2006, 08:38 PM
You better believe they are in the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Cuba and many other countries involved.

It's about showcasing baseball to the world.

BoydsOfSummer
01-26-2006, 08:44 PM
I like the fact that we'll have "real" games to watch earlier than usual. They should all be fairly well covered,so it will feed the baseball fix we need during march. Other than that I'm not all that geeked about it.

Clemson
01-26-2006, 08:55 PM
i'll be attending the US v Canada game with my college team as we have an off-day during our Arizona spring training trip

pedro
01-26-2006, 09:00 PM
I think it's pretty cool. Beats not having any baseball to watch. And besides, I think there's going to be some good ball being played.

GADawg
01-26-2006, 09:01 PM
how was the roster selected anyway? How does freakin' Francoeur get an invite and not Adam Dunn?

RFS62
01-26-2006, 09:11 PM
how was the roster selected anyway? How does freakin' Francoeur get an invite and not Adam Dunn?

Adam opted out to work on his defense at first base.

Buck Martinez said he'd love to have him, but he understood.

redsfan30
01-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Adam Dunn chose not to play because he wants to stay in camp with the Reds due to the fact that he is going to be learning a new postion.

As far as wanting to see it, as long as the Reds representatives stay healthy I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

Now if Griffey goes down to an injury wearing any other jersey than a Cincinnati Reds jersey.....somebody's gonna pay......

oneupper
01-26-2006, 09:12 PM
I'll be in Orlando to see Venezuela-Italy and Venezuela-Australia.
Couldn't get tix for Venezuela-RepDom:(

pedro
01-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Adam Dunn chose not to play because he wants to stay in camp with the Reds due to the fact that he is going to be learning a new postion.

As far as wanting to see it, as long as the Reds representatives stay healthy I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

Now if Griffey goes down to an injury wearing any other jersey than a Cincinnati Reds jersey.....somebody's gonna pay......

Yeah, I really hope Griffey DH's (assuming they have a DH). I don't want to see him playing any more games in the OF than he must.

top6
01-26-2006, 09:59 PM
I don't know why everyone is so dismissive of this. I think it will be great - and you can bet it will be HUGE overseas.

It might not be that great this year, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Especially given that 80% of MLB teams have virtually no chance of reaching the post season, I think giving us something else to root for every few years is a good idea.

Unassisted
01-26-2006, 10:15 PM
I think MLB's ulterior motive with this is to convince the IOC to not drop baseball permanently from the Olympics after 2012 (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8504326/). They're hoping this event will demonstrate that nations other than the US can field competitive teams and to broaden the sport's international appeal.

Still doesn't make me want to watch, but it makes me less dismissive of the effort.

Caveat Emperor
01-26-2006, 10:21 PM
I think MLB's ulterior motive with this is to convince the IOC to not drop baseball permanently from the Olympics after 2012 (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8504326/). They're hoping this event will demonstrate that nations other than the US can field competitive teams and to broaden the sport's international appeal.

Still doesn't make me want to watch, but it makes me less dismissive of the effort.

If Major League Baseball was truly concerned about baseball remaining an official Olympic sport, they'd follow the NHL's lead and break the season off for 2 or 3 weeks during the summer in order to allow professionals to play for their home nations.

But, that'd mean giving up about 18 dates in the season ever 4 years, or starting the season early/late to compensate as well as (I'd imagine) hammering out some sort of additional agreement with the Player's Association over adjustments to the calendar. None of those options are particularly high on Bud Selig's "To Do" list.

pedro
01-26-2006, 10:30 PM
I like this better than olympics because they are using wood bats (aren't they?)

oneupper
01-26-2006, 11:21 PM
MLB has recognized the fact that there are billions of people (i.e. consumers) outside the US. There's a huge potential out there if only a fraction becomes interested.

The biggest sporting event in the World is not the Super Bowl, the Olympics and certainly not the World Series. It's the FIFA World Cup, so its no coincidence that this contest has a similar format.

It's not about national pride or advancing the sport...it's about MONEY.

BrooklynRedz
01-27-2006, 12:01 AM
MLB has recognized the fact that there are billions of people (i.e. consumers) outside the US. There's a huge potential out there if only a fraction becomes interested.

The biggest sporting event in the World is not the Super Bowl, the Olympics and certainly not the World Series. It's the FIFA World Cup, so its no coincidence that this contest has a similar format.

Bingo. The WBC has been a top initiative for the league prior to the Olympic committee voted to remove baseball from medal competition. But regardless, MLB could care less about the Olympics...and rightfully so. If anything, the league would rather baseball not exist within the Olympics because it gives them greater control over all aspects of the event, from scheduling to rules to broadcast revenues.

flyer85
01-27-2006, 12:15 AM
I am not interested at all but I don't begrudge any one else enjoying the games.

RFS62
01-27-2006, 12:22 AM

Exactly.

This is about opening new markets for revenue streams.

New fans, new money.

01-27-2006, 01:49 AM
I wood guess that the bats will be be wood bats This is from the World Baseball Classic FAQ-

Q: What are the playing rules for the World Baseball Classic?
A: The tournament will be played under the Official Rules of Major League Baseball with modifications to accommodate the format of the tournament (e.g. pitch count limitations, mercy rule). The Designated Hitter will be used in tournament play.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/wbc/faq.jsp

Jpup
01-27-2006, 02:31 AM
imagine Jr. with an aluminum bat? :eek:

KronoRed
01-27-2006, 02:53 AM

The IOC is going to drop them anyway, no pros..no baseball.

Of course the IOC dropping softball as well is nothing more then "Only the US wins at it so dump it"

:rant:

KronoRed
01-27-2006, 02:54 AM
I'm not really looking forward to this, I fear players getting hurt.

oneupper
01-27-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm not really looking forward to this, I fear players getting hurt.

Teams that make the semis will play 7 games in all. If they make the finals, its a total of 8.

That's probably less than these players would play in ST. The possibility that they get hurt is always there, but they can get hurt in ST, also (and in pickup basketball games, shoveling snow, and sneezing).

And let's not get started on Winter Ball,where the great Anderson Machado got hurt last season, forcing the Reds to play that other kid at short, what's his name?...Gomez or something?...:)

RedFanAlways1966
01-27-2006, 08:42 AM
I will probably tune in, but I do not really care that much (yawn). I am sure it will be everyone vs. the USA mentality. I love baseball, so that is why I will watch it. I am more interested in one REDS regular season (even when they are 20 GB) than I am about this All-Star (whatever you call it) stuff.

Chip R
01-27-2006, 10:47 AM
If Major League Baseball was truly concerned about baseball remaining an official Olympic sport, they'd follow the NHL's lead and break the season off for 2 or 3 weeks during the summer in order to allow professionals to play for their home nations.

But, that'd mean giving up about 18 dates in the season ever 4 years, or starting the season early/late to compensate as well as (I'd imagine) hammering out some sort of additional agreement with the Player's Association over adjustments to the calendar. None of those options are particularly high on Bud Selig's "To Do" list.

Starting the season earlier and ending it later would be a big problem. Hockey's different since you play it inside.

Reds Fanatic
01-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Baseball has released some pitch count rules and mercy rules about when blowout games will be ended early in the WBC. Also the DH will be used in all these games.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060126&content_id=1301560&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Major League clubs concerned about their pitchers throwing "ahead of the calendar" in the World Baseball Classic were reassured Thursday by strict pitch counts spelled out within a wide array of regulations for the March event announced by tournament officials.
As set forth by World Baseball Classic, Inc. (WBCI), pitchers will be limited to 65 pitches in Round One games, and be ineligible to pitch for four days following any outing of 50-plus pitches.

Also detailed are "mercy rules" for ending lopsided games, limitations on the number of participants from any Major League organization, replacement of injured players between rounds, and tie-breaking procedures to determine teams advancing in the three-tiered tournament.

However, most of the attention was drawn to the restrictions designed to protect arms, the game's most valued commodity. No limitations were placed on the use of position players.

To warrant enforcement of the rules, there will be an addition to the game's lexicon: the Game Operations Technical Committee, which will be responsible for reporting pitchers at the limit to the umpire-in-chief, who will have the power to order pitching changes.

While pitch-count rules are mainly for the protection of Major Leaguers, whose teammates will simultaneously be going through routine Spring Training, the same rules will be in effect for all 16 nations competing in the inaugural global baseball tourney.

The rules announced by WBCI address the unique aspects of the international competition, since the games themselves will conform to official Major League rules, including the use of the DH.

Pitchers will have to lay off one day after throwing 30-plus pitches, obviously meant as a safeguard for long relievers. And, to prevent closers from being over-used, pitchers won't be allowed to work more than two consecutive days.

Starters will have more liberal pitch counts deeper into the WBC, which begins with Round 1 games on March 3 and concludes with the March 20 Final in San Diego's Petco Park.

The Round 2 limit will be 80 pitches, then 95 in the semifinals and final.

In all situations, a pitcher may exceed his limit only to complete an ongoing at-bat.

The strict pitch counts, particularly as they apply to relievers, will give WBC managers and pitching coaches plenty extra to think about. They will have to run one game with minds on the next, since their staffs will be frozen for the entire tournament.

The only roster substitutions allowed, and only between rounds, will be for injuries. Disabled players can then be replaced by another who had appeared on the team's 60-man provisional roster.

Those rosters were submitted by all 16 countries last Tuesday. Five days prior to its first scheduled Round 1 game, each team will have to file its competition roster of 30 players, five or six coaches, and the manager.

Commitments by Major League clubs will be limited to a total of 14 players from within its organization, and 10 off its big-league roster as of Aug. 31, 2005 (the day before the 25-man limit was lifted).

There is some wiggle room in the aforementioned, in both directions. A team can have more participating players if it gives explicit approval. Or, fewer, if WBCI finds it under duress because its quota includes too many same-position players (pitchers or catchers, for instance).

As previously reported, games will be declared over with a run differential of 15 after five innings, or 10 after seven. The so-called "mercy rule" will be in effect only for the first two rounds.

Tie-breakers figure to get heavy play. Rounds 1 and 2 will both consist of four teams playing three-game schedules. In each instance, the two with the best winning percentage advance but, given the schedule, ties are inevitable.

The pecking order for breaking ties in the standings, based on rules used by the International Baseball Federation:

ē Head-to-head results.
ē Fewest runs allowed per inning (including partial innings) in head-to-head play.
ē Fewest earned runs per inning in head-to-head play.
ē Highest batting average in head-to-head play.
ē By drawing, conducted by WBCI.

Also detailed were how home teams will be determined for each WBC game, and guidelines for determining eligibility to represent any of the competing countries.

Those liberal rules, as previously noted, boil down to one litmus test: Qualifying for a passport issued by the particular country. Citizens and residents of the country obviously qualify, but so do U.S. citizens with at least one parent born in, or a citizen of, the nation in question.

KronoRed
01-27-2006, 03:43 PM
The DH in all games?

I'm out.

zombie-a-go-go
01-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Naah, I think this will be pretty cool, and I'll definitely be watching it.

Unless Secrets of Home Scrapbooking is on.

KronoRed
01-27-2006, 05:46 PM
DH = Fake baseball

Yes..I am calling the entire American League fake

:p:

Chip R
01-27-2006, 05:55 PM
DH = Fake baseball

Yes..I am calling the entire American League fake

:p:

So you're calling the whole world fake now?

KronoRed
01-27-2006, 05:58 PM
So you're calling the whole world fake now?
Yep.

I'm stuck up :evil:

37red
01-27-2006, 05:59 PM
I like the little league world series and I'm sure this will be some premier baseball. And ya know, I've seen some really cool scrapbooking too!

TeamBoone
01-27-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm wondering if they are applying the DH in an effort to prevent potential injury to pitchers (e.g., getting hit, running the bases, etc.). It's only March. If pitchers end up getting hurt, many may think twice about agreeing to play next year.

Just a thought.

KronoRed
01-28-2006, 03:55 AM
Maybe..and that's a good thought

But..the DH is still evil

RedFanAlways1966
01-28-2006, 01:31 PM
But..the DH is still evil

I agree 100% Krono. And what really stinks... almost every level of organized ball uses it. High School, college, minor leagues. Everyone but the NL. Little league would to... but the pitcher is usually the big-stud on the team.

I'd think that Doubleday, Cartwright, Spalding and many others turn over in their graves with this thing called the DH.

WebScorpion
01-30-2006, 04:05 PM
In this age of specialization we really should switch to 9 players who play defense and ANOTHER set of 9 players who just hit. Then you'd have BOTH better hitters AND better defense. I'm a genius! :rolleyes:

westofyou
01-30-2006, 04:11 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4729

They announced some of the playing rules for the World Baseball Classic. The pitch limits are pretty interesting: 65 from March 3-10, 80 for March 12-16, and 95 for the semifinals and final March 18 and 20.

These numbers look reasonable and conservative, the prudent thing to do. Theyíre not. Those numbers are each about two weeks ahead of where pitchers typically are in March, and even considering that those intending to compete in this thing have been planning on getting that kind of work, the numbers make me uncomfortable. You canít find any examples of pitchers going 65 pitches before March 10, or 80 before March 20, in the last ten years. Pitchers just arenít brought along that quickly.

What I donít understand is why this isnít more of an issue. The entire reason we have a six-week spring training is so that pitchers can ramp up from playing catch to throwing major-league innings. If not for the delicate nature of pitchers, youíd need about a week of workouts and maybe another week of games to get ready for the season. Yet now, because itís convenient for MLB and its coffers, pitchers are going to be asked to do things they havenít done in years, shift their schedule and be ready to throw competitive innings in early March. I think itís a terrible idea, I have all along, and I will not be surprised to see more and more pitchers either beg off or have their teams do it for them as the season approaches.

From a game standpoint, talking about this with some people at the winter meetings in December, I was thinking that the limits would encourage opponents to be very disciplined at the plate against star pitchers. Taking lots of pitches to force, say, Pedro Martinez out of the game in the third inning seems like a good way to beat the Dominican Republic.

What was pointed out to me was just how big an advantage these rules are for the United States, which has deeper pitching than any two countries combined. The dropoff from the starter to the next reliever to the next will be less for the U.S. than for anyone else, giving them a distinct advantage in a format that would otherwise not reward depth. The chances of an upset behind the right arm of some pitcher having the day of his life are minimized in this format, which works well for the marketing of the event--making it likely that the WBC will get its intended final four--but takes away from the notion of fair competition.

The need for these restrictions and the effect they have on play are just two reasons why the Classic is likely to be anything but. It may be a good idea, may grow baseball globally, but the timing of it creates all kinds of conflicts, from physical to developmental to strategic, as well as hindering MLB teams who will be playing much of March without significant parts of their roster. The priority of baseball players in March should be preparation for the upcoming season, not an artificial competition that is going to look more like an exhibition than it will soccerís World Cup.

The WBC should be held in November or December, when it can have the lowest chance of affecting a playerís heath and an MLB teamís chance of contention. Until and unless that happens, itís going to create more problems than itís worth.

TeamBoone
01-30-2006, 04:29 PM
In this age of specialization we really should switch to 9 players who play defense and ANOTHER set of 9 players who just hit. Then you'd have BOTH better hitters AND better defense. I'm a genius! :rolleyes:

Just not at the same time. :D

Reds Fanatic
01-30-2006, 05:37 PM
ESPN will be broadcasting several games during the tournament.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2006/news/story?id=2312085

ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes will be the TV homes of the inaugural World Baseball Classic, tournament officials and ESPN announced Monday.

ESPN and ESPN2 will televise 16 games live, including the semifinals (March 18) and finals (March 20) from Petco Park in San Diego. ESPN Deportes will show all 39 games of the tournament.

In addition, ESPN Syndication will distribute games to a variety of local channels. And ESPN Radio will broadcast the semifinals and finals.

KronoRed
01-30-2006, 06:00 PM
When that arrives I''ll switch to hockey.

penantboundreds
01-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Jung Bong is playing for Korea? Is that serious?

Reds Fanatic
01-31-2006, 12:16 AM
Here is a TV schedule for what games are being covered by ESPN

Date Time ET Network Site Match-up
March 2 9:30 p.m. Deportes Tokyo Korea vs. Chinese Taipei
March 3 4:30 a.m. Deportes/ESPN2 Tokyo Japan vs. China
March 3 9:00 p.m. Deportes Tokyo Korea vs. China
March 4 4:00 a.m. Deportes/ESPN2 Tokyo Japan vs. Chinese Taipei
March 4 9:00 p.m. Deportes Tokyo Chinese Taipei vs. China
March 5 4:00 a.m. Deportes/ESPN2 Tokyo Japan vs. Korea
March 7 1:00 p.m. Deportes/ESPN Orlando Dominican Republic vs. Venezuela
March 7 4:00 p.m. Deportes/ESPN2 Phoenix U.S.A. vs. Mexico
March 7 7:00 p.m. Deportes San Juan Puerto Rico vs. Panama
March 8 1:00 p.m. ESPN2 San Juan Cuba vs. Panama
March 8 4:00 p.m. ESPN2 Phoenix U.S.A. vs. Canada
March 8 7:30 p.m. Deportes San Juan Puerto Rico vs. Netherlands
March 9 1:00 p.m. Deportes Orlando Dominican Republic vs. Italy
March 9 7:00 p.m. Deportes San Juan Cuba vs. Netherlands
March 10 1:00 p.m. Deportes San Juan Panama vs. Netherlands
March 10 7:30 p.m. Deportes San Juan Puerto Rico vs. Cuba
March 12 1:00 p.m. Deportes San Juan TBD
March 12 4:00 p.m. Deportes Anaheim TBD
March 12 8:00 p.m. Deportes/ESPN2 San Juan TBD
March 12 11:00 p.m. Deportes/ESPN2 Anaheim TBD
March 13 1:00 p.m. Deportes/ESPN San Juan TBD
March 13 7:00 p.m. Deportes/ESPN2 San Juan TBD
March 13 10:00 p.m. Deportes Anaheim TBD
March 14 7:00 p.m. Deportes San Juan TBD
March 14 7:00 p.m. ESPN2 Anaheim TBD
March 15 7:00 p.m. Deportes San Juan TBD
March 15 10:00 p.m. Deportes Anaheim TBD
March 16 7:30 p.m. Deportes/ESPN Anaheim TBD
March 18 3:00 p.m. Deportes/ESPN San Diego Semifinal #1
March 18 10:00 p.m. Deportes/ESPN San Diego Semifinal #2
March 20 9:00 p.m. Deportes/ESPN San Diego Championship

KronoRed
01-31-2006, 08:00 AM
Bummer some of those early games aren't on a mainstream channel

CrackerJack
01-31-2006, 11:38 AM
If you like/love baseball, not sure why this wouldn't interest you. I am quite interested in seeing great players on different teams playing against each other for something that's somewhat meaningful...ecspecially since Junior's playing at least.

It's gotta be better than watching Milton serve up Hr balls in the middle of summer, in a totally meaningless game, while Pena trips over himself in the outfield trying to catch up to them, or wondering when Ryan Freel's next alcohol related arrest will take place.