PDA

View Full Version : Bonds chasing Aaron in 2006

Maldonado
01-26-2006, 09:22 PM
If Barry Bonds stays healthy the entire year, he may break what is arguably the most respected record in baseball - the all time home run record. In light of Barry Bonds' association with the BALCO scandal, what do you think will be the general reaction amongst the press, and the public at large? Will this capture the attention of the public as the McGwire/Sosa chase of Maris's record did back in 1998?

RedFanAlways1966
01-26-2006, 09:32 PM
I think it will be like a lot of things in life... you are on one side or the other. Many will defend him and many will ask that his numbers be *'ed or be removed. It will cause many feuds amongst baseball fans.

Barry "controversy" Bonds will continue to have absolute-supporters and absolute-haters. Not much middle ground. We will find out before long.

Caseyfan21
01-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Keep in mind, Giants play a 3 game series in Cincy the first week of September. IF he stays healthy and produces as he has in the past there's an outside chance he could be close then.

RedFanAlways1966
01-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Keep in mind, Giants play a 3 game series in Cincy the first week of September. IF he stays healthy and produces as he has in the past there's an outside chance he could be close then.

Interesting. Commish Bowie Kuhn "forced" the Braves to play Hank in 1974 when he entered the season at 1 HR behind Ruth. The Braves wanted to sit him for their first 3 games which were played in Riverfront Stadium so he could break the record in Atlanta. Of course he tied it in his 1st AB off Jack Billingham.

Would the Giants want Barry to tie or break Hank's record in SF? Would Bud make him play ala Kuhn in 1974?

steig
01-26-2006, 09:55 PM
I don't think Bonds will have the type of year to break the record. He would have to see pitches first and we don't know what his HR numbers are going to be like now that he has been training to loose ~40 lbs through 'diet' and 'exercise'. Not that he didn't exercise before but I'm certain he was chemically engineering himself along the way. I question how the lack of amphedimines in baseball will effect the home run numbers. I would suspect that Bonds would be a big user of the uppers due to his old age for the day games.

macro
01-27-2006, 12:10 AM
...what do you think will be the general reaction amongst the press, and the public at large? Will this capture the attention of the public as the McGwire/Sosa chase of Maris's record did back in 1998?

It will get plenty of attention, but it won't all be positive like the McGwire-Sosa deal was. I think if he breaks the record anywhere but San Francisco, he'll be loudly booed.

SirFelixCat
01-27-2006, 02:49 AM
Put me in the camp who loathes the idea of Bonds breaking Ruth's record, much less Aarons. Grrrrrr :thumbdown:

Strikes Out Looking
01-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Pitch him inside and hard and complain about his wearing armor. Don't give him an inch. I despise him almost as much as I hate the Cubs.