PDA

View Full Version : Your (Or Someone You Know's) Weirdest Habit/Hangup

Dom Heffner
01-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Everybody does something that they just can't stop doing- or at least knows someone who has a habit like this. Or, we all know someone who has weird rules for themselves, like someone who will only take showers but not baths.

I, for instance, cannot stop cracking my thumbs. I crack them all the time, and have ever since I had surgery on one of them. I don't crack my index finger or anything other than my thumbs.

Also, I don't mind drinking after someone, but I absolutely cannot do it if it's milk. I have no idea where this came from, but milk is in a separate category for me.

I will also not watch any animal being harmed on television, no matter if it's real or not. I'll watch those National Geographic specials all day but once they show the slowest zebra getting attacked, I'm out. I understand it happens in real life, but my theory is we all use the bathroom in real life, too, and no one wants to see that on television either. If I wanted reality, I wouldn't be watching television, I'd just go look out the window.

One of my best friends has a rule where he cannot sleep with a girl if he knows anyone else that has had relations with her. He also applies this rule to famous people, so if he knows, for example, that Matthew Broderick has had sex with Sarah Jessica Parker, then he doesn't find her attractive at all because of this. It is the most annoying and strange thing I have ever seen.

Me: Would you do Eva Longoria?
Him: Nope. That dude from 'N Sync was with her. That's gross.

He'll apply it to his personal life, too. The girl doesn't have to be the big 'v," he just cannot be familiar with the guy who was with the girl. If he sees the dude, she's crossed off his list.

This may tank as a thread idea, but I thought I'd throw some of these out there to see if anyone else some strange stuff to pass along.

creek14
01-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Man Dom, you're weird. :p:

Not really. Actually I do some of the same stuff. But I'm not going to say what.

But I am a no bath person. It just grosses me out. Showers only. And I have never understood how people can take a shower at night, go to bed, then just get up and get dressed. Ick. Morning shower.

And I buy a new toothbrush at least once a month, if not more often. Usually more often.

I'm sure there are more.

cincinnati chili
01-28-2006, 11:56 PM
And I have never understood how people can take a shower at night, go to bed, then just get up and get dressed. Ick. Morning shower.

I'm a morning shower person too, but I have to interject that this is a weird hangup.

Unless you sweat like a pig in your sleep or unless you never wash your sheets, are you really going to get "dirty" in a 7 hour period where you basically don't move? (I realize I'm setting you up for a retort of "well ya know, chili, not all of us just LIE THERE in bed all night... heh heh)

I have one showering quirk, myself. We keep our house at 65 or colder all winter, and I can handle that. But I hate being cold when I get out of the shower (cold + wet = chili-not-happy). As a habit, I try to lay out every piece of clothing that I'm going to wear the next day... socks, tie, underwear, etc., put it on a hanger and hang it in the bathroom. That way I can be "cold" for only a few seconds. After four years of marriage, my wife is still amused by getting up to wee wee in the middle of the night and seeing undies and socks staring at her from the towel rack.

Red in Chicago
01-29-2006, 12:38 AM
here is just a very small sample of my "issues" and believe me, there are lots more...some are just too embarrassing to write down...
-i always take some breath mints to work...but the weird thing is that it must be an even amount...i have literally counted out 30 mints for a weekend trip..

-a no "number 2" rule at work...if mother nature calls, i drive all the way home to oblige...then must take a shower afterwords...

-constantly washing hands...if no soap, then i have those anti-bacterial wipes with me...if eating out in a restaurant, the salt & pepper shakers get wiped down, as well as the ketchup bottle...

-never touching a door handle or shopping cart with my bare hands...this is why we have paper towels...if no paper towels...in an emergency, some part of your shirt will do...

-most people's feet gross me out, but yet, i'm compelled to look at their toes whenever they wear sandles...

SandyD
01-29-2006, 01:05 AM
I sleep under 3 blankets with the ceiling fan on. All but the coldest of nights. And I still wake up sweating, especially in the spring/ summer. It's the humidity, I think.

GAC
01-29-2006, 06:04 AM
This thread will simply show the Jerry Seinfeld, George Constanza, Elaine Benis, and Kramer in all of us.

cincinnati chili
01-29-2006, 11:54 AM
here is just a very small sample of my "issues" and believe me, there are lots more...some are just too embarrassing to write down...
-i always take some breath mints to work...but the weird thing is that it must be an even amount...i have literally counted out 30 mints for a weekend trip..

-a no "number 2" rule at work...if mother nature calls, i drive all the way home to oblige...then must take a shower afterwords...

-constantly washing hands...if no soap, then i have those anti-bacterial wipes with me...if eating out in a restaurant, the salt & pepper shakers get wiped down, as well as the ketchup bottle...

-never touching a door handle or shopping cart with my bare hands...this is why we have paper towels...if no paper towels...in an emergency, some part of your shirt will do...

-most people's feet gross me out, but yet, i'm compelled to look at their toes whenever they wear sandles...

Wait a minute.... I know you! Why the &*%# did you fire Sharona?!!!!!

http://www.zeigermann.com/cartoonist/images/2005/10/02/monk.jpg

TeamCasey
01-29-2006, 12:24 PM
I always sit on an aisle seat. I feel absolutely trapped and a little freaked out when I can't. In fact, I'd rather stand ..... which I've done at games.

I never take the top or the front item in a store. For example, I'll lift the top newspaper in a stack and get the next one.

TeamCasey
01-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Also, leftovers expire rapidly in my mind. Leftovers can only be a day old, unless they were frozen.

..... and cutting the mold off cheese or bread so you can eat it is just ghastly. You people know who you are!

SandyD
01-29-2006, 12:45 PM
I'll cut mold off cheese, if it's just a little bit. Not bread tho.

This week, we had a couple of loaves of bread go bad started to ferment somehow. No visible mold, but the bottom of the loaves were damp and smelled of alcohol.

creek14
01-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Red in Chicago - the pairs thing - I'm with you there. But mine are M&M's and Pringles. I have to match up M&M's in same-colored pairs to eat them. If there aren't even pairs, then they have to be matched in complementary colors. If there is an extra, it can go with a pair, as a family. :help:

And Pringles just have to be eaten in pairs. No singles.

RedsBaron
01-29-2006, 01:38 PM
I always sit on an aisle seat. I feel absolutely trapped and a little freaked out when I can't. In fact, I'd rather stand ..... which I've done at games.

I never take the top or the front item in a store. For example, I'll lift the top newspaper in a stack and get the next one.
I'm with you on the above, especially the need to sit on an aisle seat. I really do not like to sit in the middle of an aisle or seat, be it at a sporting event, movies, church, or just riding in a vehicle.

TeamBoone
01-29-2006, 01:51 PM

Are you sure your name isn't Adrian Monk? :evil:

Ooops, I didn't read the later posts. Looks like someone else had the same idea.

I guess that's one of my "things"... I respond to posts right away as I read them.

Dom Heffner
01-29-2006, 02:24 PM

I used to have this one, too, but I must say that by tossing it out the window (the habit, not the byproduct ;)) it has made life so much easier. I can shop for longer, be comfortable at work longer- and all due to a Dateline report that basically showed that the toilet would have to be absolutely hideous for you to even have a chance of catching something.

I also used to hate for anyone to hear me doing my thing, but I just don't care anymore and it's great. Not that I try to be loud or anything, but I no longer exert force only between restroom visitors.

never touching a door handle or shopping cart with my bare hands...this is why we have paper towels...if no paper towels...in an emergency, some part of your shirt will do...

I used to worry about this sort of thing, too, RIC. Then I realized that this is what we have skin for. It's the largest organ of the body and it's job is to protect our insides from dangerous things. If I place a paper towel on something, then I have to be careful not to touch the paper towel, and there are just some times when that's not practical. If I am throwing paper towels away, then I am coming in contact with more trash receptacles...it just seems like an endless cycle of worrying about something I have no control over. Germs not only exist on things, they float through the air, so the paper towel probably isn't helping.

Again, after watching Dateline and seeing just how much of other people's feces and germs we come in contact with and how there is just no way around it- I just let go of worrying about this stuff.

RIC- you rock for posting all of this.

KronoRed
01-29-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm a lot like RIC.

I must have an apple juice a day, I know it's a joke around here but it's true..I used to ONLY drink it..now 1 a day..it keeps me calm ;)

Sean_CaseyRules
01-29-2006, 08:42 PM
I have to crack (or try and crack) all of my fingers the same amount of times on both hands.

Also I cannot sleep in any room where i saw a spider for at least 2 days.

StillFunkyB
01-29-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm a lot like RIC.

I must have an apple juice a day, I know it's a joke around here but it's true..I used to ONLY drink it..now 1 a day..it keeps me calm ;)

There is nothing wrong with Apple Juice. It kicks the living daylights outta that Sierra Mist nonsense! :)

I have to have an isle seat as well, but that is more due to the fact that I tore my ACL, and I cannot sit with my knee at an angle like that for too long or it will start to hurt.

Always carry my wallet in the right pocket. Always.

I can't think of anything else.

macro
01-30-2006, 12:38 AM
And I have never understood how people can take a shower at night, go to bed, then just get up and get dressed. Ick. Morning shower.

My wife and I disagree on this. She's a night-shower person and I'm a morning shower person. It works out well, because we stay out of one another's way. My theory is like yours, creek. I like to start the day with a nice hot shower. She says she doesn't like to go to bed dirty.

I'm not sure this is weird or not, but I will not use my toothbrush unless I run it under water before putting the toothpaste on and again before I begin to use it. It's like a dry toothbrush is kinda gross to me, but wetting it makes it acceptable.

I won't eat something off a buffet unless the particular item is brand new and untouched, or almost so. If two or three people have dipped into it already, I probably ain't eatin' any of it. I see people take the very last of something out the pan and it makes me cringe. Some would consider me weird for that, I guess, but my wife is the same way.

As for restrooms, I won't touch anything without a paper towel. I see people take the time to wash their hands with soap, then touch the faucet handle with their clean hands, which just got germy again. Then they'll often take hold of the door handle on the way out. More germs. Kinda defeats the purpose of washing, I think. Just trading your own germs for someone else's.

GAC
01-30-2006, 04:01 AM
You people are sick! I can't believe I hang out with some of you. I thought I knew you.

RIC sounds like Howard Hughes. :lol:

Whenever we go to stay a couple nights at either of my brother's or my Mom for a visit, I take my own pillows and bedding.

Whenever I'm at home, all the doors are locked. And I live in the country.

I still (since a child) have a fear of basements (and furnaces). They're oogly. I fly up the stairs when coming up.

I run my hand through my hair when sleeping (that's what my wife says).

I lke baloney, cheese, peanut butter, and potato chip sandwiches.

The only bathroom hangup I have is that at my age, when I go to the bathroom, things get hung up. ;)

Chip R
01-30-2006, 07:16 PM

I used to eat those when I was a kid - except for the potato chips.

Doc. Scott
01-30-2006, 07:25 PM
I have this obsessive need to ignore major baseball transactions and focus on things that no one cares about, like minor-league free agents. I call it O'Brienitis.

SunDeck
01-30-2006, 09:42 PM

Peanut butter and chipped beef. Peanut Butter and bacon sandwiches. Peanut butter rolled in a slice of baloney.
I grew up eating this stuff and no idea is was weird until a roomate caught me stuffing my face one late night.

I HAVE to sleep with two pillows. Goes back to having allergies as a kid and propping my head up to get all the slime to drain out of my head.

My breakfast has to happen within about five minutes of waking up in the morning and it's probably been the same thing (bowl of Total with raisins, orange juice, coffee) at least 99% of the time for the last five years. I'm in a bit of a rut.

I find it very difficult to leave my shirt untucked unless it is summer.

I won't wear white running shoes.

My coworkers tell me I clear my throat a lot...and loudly. See above explanation about two pillows.

Can't stand water in my eyes. When I swim, which is a lot, I have to wipe my eyes off as soon as my head comes out of the water.

cincinnati chili
01-30-2006, 11:47 PM
As for restrooms, I won't touch anything without a paper towel. I see people take the time to wash their hands with soap, then touch the faucet handle with their clean hands, which just got germy again. Then they'll often take hold of the door handle on the way out. More germs. Kinda defeats the purpose of washing, I think. Just trading your own germs for someone else's.

I do this. And I rarely get a cold. Or meningitis (sp?) :)

Other peoples germs build immunities... or something like that.

Red in Chicago
01-31-2006, 12:05 AM

tc...not trying to copy you, but both of these are me as well...i have so many hangups, that i can't keep track of them all...in restaurants, if we get a booth, i am never the one inside...i always am on the outer edge...same with airplanes...forget the window seat...it's not really a trapped thing with me, as it is a "what if i have to use the bathroom" or something kind of thing...i hate bothering people...
as far as the store goes, the items that are on top or in front are the items that are returned back from the checkouts where people changed their minds...

ok, here are a couple more...whenever in a restaurant, NEVER ask it to be reheated or cooked differently...either don't eat it or manage your way through it...

whenever someone sneezes around you, immediately, hold your breathe and escape the area as quickly as possible...

never eat anything that falls in your kitchen sink...do you know how gross your kitchen sinks really are...even if you clean them...

i wash my sheets at least twice a week...with extra bleach...have you ever seen that one clorox commercial with the body soot...oh the horror!!!!! :eek:

cincinnati chili
01-31-2006, 08:00 AM
It would be fun to go camping with some of you people. :laugh:

never eat anything that falls in your kitchen sink...do you know how gross your kitchen sinks really are...even if you clean them...

Kitchen sinks, or so I hear, contain more germs than toilet bowls. So if you're afraid of germs, this is a logical place to fear.

TeamCasey
01-31-2006, 08:28 AM
as far as the store goes, the items that are on top or in front are the items that are returned back from the checkouts where people changed their minds...

i wash my sheets at least twice a week...with extra bleach...have you ever seen that one clorox commercial with the body soot...oh the horror!!!!! :eek:

If it's a newspaper, I just figure some yutz already pawed through it ..... and they probably stole the TV guide!

With grocery items, I assume that the fresher stuff is in the back. It's a conundrum if I'm choosing oranges from a big pile or pyramid though.

You really strip your bed that often? Too lazy. I do mine about once every few weeks. :laugh: I'm comfortable in my own filth. It's the filth of others that gives me the heebie jeebies. :) I don't share a bed, so I just switch sides after awhile, or turn the mattress.

SandyD
01-31-2006, 09:13 AM
When I was a kid, My sister, two brothers and I stood before one mirror and over one washbasin while we brushed our teeth, combed/brushed/fixed our hair, applied make-up (if applicable) and so on every morning. The "private areas" of the bathroom were separated by a curtain if we needed during this time.

So, I couldn't be too particular about bathroom stuff.

GAC
01-31-2006, 11:33 AM
I HAVE to sleep with two pillows.

I have three. And they have to be down feather pillows, not those stiff, fluffy, cheap cotton candy ones.

How many men sleep cuddling a pillow between their legs, or like to have their hand under the pillow?

I have to have a blanket on me at all times. Even in the summer. I always have a fan on while sleeping (even in the winter).

I refuse to wear short sleeve shirts with elastic sleeves. Given quite a few away over the years (Goodwill, etc).

I live in boxers and a T-shirt in my house... "It's good to be the king!"

When we go swimming at a beach, lake, etc., I refuse to go into the water with bare feet. Always wear a pair of those slip on shoes like divers wear.

Puffy
01-31-2006, 11:34 AM
I have to sleep with two pillows - one for my head ond one to hold.

I drink milk with my dinner when I am at home, but the glasses have to be in the freezer for a short while beforehand to make sure the milk is super cold.

If I see an onion in my food then I cannot enjoy the food and I have to dig around to make sure there are no more onions. When my parents make sauce my plate is left filled with onions pushed off to the side.

GAC
01-31-2006, 11:37 AM
tc...not trying to copy you, but both of these are me as well...i have so many hangups, that i can't keep track of them all...in restaurants, if we get a booth, i am never the one inside...i always am on the outer edge...same with airplanes...forget the window seat...it's not really a trapped thing with me, as it is a "what if i have to use the bathroom" or something kind of thing...i hate bothering people...

ok, here are a couple more...whenever in a restaurant, NEVER ask it to be reheated or cooked differently...either don't eat it or manage your way through it...

whenever someone sneezes around you, immediately, hold your breathe and escape the area as quickly as possible...

I bet that scene in Seinfeld where Kramer has the garbage disposal installed in his shower, and is fixing a meal while taking a shower, would drive you over the brink! :lol:

Red Leader
01-31-2006, 11:54 AM
If I see an onion in my food then I cannot enjoy the food and I have to dig around to make sure there are no more onions. When my parents make sauce my plate is left filled with onions pushed off to the side.

I do this one, too.

I also chew ice. Constantly. I eat all ice that is in my cup (and no its not related to lack of sex, etc, like people always say).

Like others have said, I shower in the morning. My one hangup is that the door must always remain closed while I shower to trap the heat in. If someone opens the door and lets cold air in, I go through the whole wash my hair, and soap up routine again, even if I've already done it.

vaticanplum
01-31-2006, 12:02 PM
Man, I thought I had hangups until I read this thread...

I do wash my hands a lot, that's about it in the way of overcleanliness (though I consider washing hands a fairly normal act). I am also extremely afeared of fire. I check the oven obsessively, I unplug everything apart from lamps when not in use, I refuse to have even unlit candles in my house and I blow them out in public, even at a dinner table at a restaurant. I've been to places where people leave unattended flames in bathrooms. This is unfathomable to me. Basically, if it can cause a fire -- and almost everything in my mind can cause a fire -- I fix it.

I also always put on my right shoe first. I read when I was a child that this is good luck and have done it ever since.

westofyou
01-31-2006, 12:08 PM
I unplug everything apart from lamps when not in use

That's nothing, my wife once took the batteries out of the TV Changer for fear of fire when we went out of town.

National Honor Society, 4.0 at Miami and she still did that.

Go figure.

I'm like TC, I prefer aisle seats, stand in the back at concerts, prefer to stand behind homeplate at ball games, which I prefer to watch alone unless the person cares about baseball as much as I do.... or 50% will do, probably cause it's more than most.

vaticanplum
01-31-2006, 12:36 PM
That's nothing, my wife once took the batteries out of the TV Changer for fear of fire when we went out of town.

National Honor Society, 4.0 at Miami and she still did that.

See, that makes perfect sense to me. In fact, it's something new for me to worry about. Great.

SunDeck
01-31-2006, 12:40 PM
When we go swimming at a beach, lake, etc., I refuse to go into the water with bare feet. Always wear a pair of those slip on shoes like divers wear.

My brother does that. He says it's because he doesn't want to cut his feet on rocks, but I've seen him jump off a houseboat in the middle of Lake Cumberland with tennies on. Neeless to say, he spent the rest of the weekend regretting it with people swimming underneath him from behind and tickling his ankles. He shrieked like a baboon the first time, poor guy. :evil:

I have similar irrational fears about swimming in the ocean. I'll go out 200 yards with another person, but never by myself because I get too wigged out about getting gnawed on by sharks. Stupid Stephen Spielberg!

westofyou
01-31-2006, 12:43 PM
I have similar irrational fears about swimming in the ocean. I'll go out 200 yards with another person, but never by myself because I get too wigged out about getting gnawed on by sharks. Stupid Stephen Spielberg!

That's my wife too, in Hawaii she had "Shark feelings" and watched me boogie board for the whole afternoon after that.

rdiersin
01-31-2006, 12:53 PM
When I walk to my office or around campus, I never try to step on a crack. I guess I don't want to break my mom's back. If I am walking with people its different, but otherwise, I try to never step on cracks or lines. Sometimes it means taking long strides and sometimes short ones. I really can't stand it when I can't get consistent strides, but that's what I do.

deltachi8
01-31-2006, 12:56 PM
I have three or four steelers shirts. If I wear one and they win, I must contnue to wear that one, unwashed until they lose on game days...otherwisem its is certain doom for the team.

Yes, I will be watching the Super Bowl alone on Sunday.

rdiersin
01-31-2006, 12:58 PM
I have three or four steelers shirts. If I wear one and they win, I must contnue to wear that one, unwashed until they lose on game days...otherwisem its is certain doom for the team.

I'm like that with my Purdue shirts (except I still wash them), but this year has made it easy for me to break that habit.

TeamCasey
01-31-2006, 01:05 PM
This isn't a weird hangup, but I'm curious if it affects others in their adulthood.

It's very difficult for me to ride in the backseat and not have to throw up. I've always battled car sickness. Backseat, closed windows, smoke, perfume, heat or reading = certain doom. I drive with my windows partially open even in the winter, and I rarely turn on the heater. The drive from our house to the stadium sometimes triggers it because of the city smells and fumes closer to downtown.

westofyou
01-31-2006, 01:11 PM
This isn't a weird hangup, but I'm curious if it affects others in their adulthood.

It's very difficult for me to ride in the backseat and not have to throw up. I've always battled car sickness. Backseat, closed windows, smoke, perfume, heat or reading = certain doom. I drive with my windows partially open even in the winter, and I rarely turn on the heater. The drive from our house to the stadium sometimes triggers it because of the city smells and fumes closer to downtown.My wife has the same problem, imagine the pain living in a state with numerous mountain roads. On the bus she has to sit behind the driver.

Here's a tip if you have to sit in the backseat. try and sit in the middle to look straight ahead and hold the seat in front of you like a steering wheel.

Also if you get sick in the car NEVER go whale watching, you'll turn inside out, I've witnessed 20 out of 25 people all throwing up off the stern for 3 straight hours.

But not me.:laugh:

SunDeck
01-31-2006, 01:11 PM
I get car sick if I try to read a map while the car is moving. My wife can't sit in the rear seat of our minivan without feeling sick.
And the last few times I have flown I have gotten motion sickness on the approach. Especially at Salt Lake City where the approach resembles an obstacle course through mountains.

westofyou
01-31-2006, 01:14 PM
And the last few times I have flown I have gotten motion sickness on the approach

For about 8 years after the Loma Prieta earthquake I HATED to fly, turbalance really rattled me.

One day it just went away.

vaticanplum
01-31-2006, 01:16 PM
Car sickness happens when your stomach tells you that you're moving but your eyes don't.

This is why the "sitting in the middle and staring straight ahead" approach is a good one. It's also why people get motion sickness while reading or sleeping. Basically just do your best to make sure that your eyes are focused somewhere outside of the vehicle.

Red Leader
01-31-2006, 01:21 PM
I CANNOT sleep in ANY form of transportation. Car, bus, train, plane, whatever. My body will just not let me fall asleep. For some reason I feel like I have to be the one to be awake in case the driver falls asleep. Ironically enough, that's why I was always the one to drive.

Now that I'm married, it irritates me that I drive 13 hours to my wife's parents cottage and the rest of the family sleeps 3/4 of the way while I drive the 13 hours. I get there and they are angry because I want to go to bed early the day we get there.

Sweetstop
01-31-2006, 01:25 PM

It's very difficult for me to ride in the backseat and not have to throw up. I've always battled car sickness. Backseat, closed windows, smoke, perfume, heat or reading = certain doom. I drive with my windows partially open even in the winter, and I rarely turn on the heater. The drive from our house to the stadium sometimes triggers it because of the city smells and fumes closer to downtown.

I had awful motion sickness when younger. I remember my mother giving me that awful gum whenever we traveled. I got deathly ill on a train trip from Louisville to Miami when in college. It's better now but, like you, TC, I still can't ride in the backseat w/o feeling queasy. Also, I get uneasy when RIDING in any car w/ standard shift, even our MINI. Of course that's a good excuse to drive whenever my husband and I go anywhere in it together.

westofyou
01-31-2006, 01:27 PM
It's also why people get motion sickness while reading or sleeping.As a kid I used to puke every time we drove Highway 1 through Big Sur, like clockwork. My dad had a 240Z and liked to drive fast, I liked to read my baseball books and for that I payed.

westofyou
01-31-2006, 01:29 PM
I CANNOT sleep in ANY form of transportation. Car, bus, train, plane, whatever. My body will just not let me fall asleep. For some reason I feel like I have to be the one to be awake in case the driver falls asleep. Ironically enough, that's why I was always the one to drive.

That is my problem, a couple of times I drove from the coast to Cincinnati straight through, it's about a 48-50 hour drive, one time we left at night and I had been up since early morning, I didn't sleep the whole way. Once we hit Indiana I was higher than I've ever been on the lack of sleep, I was seeing all sorts of stuff that wasn't there.

Puffy
01-31-2006, 01:30 PM

Sports hangups? Thats a whole new thread! I will sit one way when the Reds are at bat and another way when they are in the field if it seems to be working.

I also wear the exact same shirt each week the Giants play if they won the previous week. Unwashed of course, cause you don't wannt jinx things.

And I also don't like oceans - and yes, I live on the Gulf of Mexico. Stupid sharks.

And I knock on wood religiously.

macro
01-31-2006, 02:45 PM
How many men sleep cuddling a pillow between their legs, or like to have their hand under the pillow?

Steve Martin to John Candy in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: "Those aren't PILLOWS!!!"

GAC
01-31-2006, 04:58 PM

It's very difficult for me to ride in the backseat and not have to throw up.

We found that out about our oldest boy several years back..... the hard way! ;)

SunDeck
01-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Once we hit Indiana I was higher than I've ever been on the lack of sleep, I was seeing all sorts of stuff that wasn't there.

That had to be better than all the stuff that really was there.

"Indiana- Bring Something to Do."
#1 entry in the Indiana Daily Student state motto contest.

cincinnati chili
02-01-2006, 12:30 AM

That's the clincher. We're two halves of the same person.

My parents still get a kick out of tellings stories about little Chili "looking for the onions" that fell into his 3-way.

It's still a problem for me. I'm pretty adventurous with different types of ethnic foods. But my immediate task at any restaurant is pouring over the menu descriptions and ruling out the dishes that have onions in them.

flyer85
02-01-2006, 11:01 AM
I hang out on a message board ... that I now know is populated by a lot of people with weird habits/phobias ... and I enjoy it.

What does that say about me?

I'm trying to think of something about myself I can add but haven't came up with anything just yet.:confused:

max venable
02-01-2006, 12:55 PM
a few of mine...

I cannot sleep while wearing a shirt
I cannot sleep with socks on
I brush my teeth in the shower
in the shower I always wash my privates first (I don't know why)
I hate to talk on the phone
I usually sniff my socks after removing them at the end of the day

creek14
02-01-2006, 01:20 PM
This is my favorite thread ever.

And for everyone who hasn't posted, we know that one of your hang-ups is being afraid to talk about your hang-ups. :p: ;)

flyer85
02-01-2006, 01:27 PM
I thought of one ... I like to shower with the light off in the morning. I hate the morning.

KronoRed
02-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Reminds me of one

I can't shower if it's dark, I actually turn more lights on.

Red Leader
02-01-2006, 04:11 PM
My wife has this awesome habit of losing her car keys.

Everyday. ;)

SunDeck
02-01-2006, 04:14 PM
My wife leaves the cordless phone everywhere but its cradle.
I hit the "find" button once and found it beeping in the middle of the garden.

Johnny Footstool
02-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Since we're including food hang-ups...

I won't eat tomatoes or tomato-based products. No ketchup, no spaghetti sauce, no steak sauce with tomato paste as an ingredient, etc. If tomatoes were used in the preparation of my food, I won't eat it.

I tried to force myself to eat spaghetti sauce in college once, but after two bites I started throwing up. Ugly, ugly scene.

BTW - reading this thread makes me realize I'm not as neurotic as I thought.

creek14
03-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Today as I was buying my 10000th blue med point gel pen, I realized I will write with only blue med point gel pens.

Falls City Beer
03-07-2006, 08:36 PM
For all of my curmudgeonliness, I'm a pretty bloody flexible guy. I have a lot of dislikes, but not many "hangups" or weird habits. In fact, I'm kind of anti-OCD.

Oh, I do have one habit--I dog-ear books all the time, even if they aren't mine. It pisses their owners off. I do it without thinking.

Wait, I thought of another one--kind of a hangup. I never import "bonus tracks"--remixes/live crap--that get appended to classic CDs; I just want the album as it was originally intended by the artist. The outtakes are outtakes for a reason.

westofyou
03-07-2006, 08:42 PM
I won't eat tomatoes or tomato-based products. No ketchup, no spaghetti sauce, no steak sauce with tomato paste as an ingredient, etc. If tomatoes were used in the preparation of my food, I won't eat it.

I live on tomatoes..... hate the celery and will pick it out of anything I can.

Falls City Beer
03-07-2006, 08:45 PM
I live on tomatoes..... hate the celery and will pick it out of anything I can.

Everyone dislikes celery. I don't get it. It's the most innocuous vegetable on earth. I barely taste it.

I'd rather have my skull crushed with a hammer than eat lima beans.

westofyou
03-07-2006, 08:53 PM
I'd rather have my skull crushed with a hammer than eat lima beans.

Love the Lima's I make a great dish with them and tomatoes.. you guys should come over.

Hate the meat, won't touch anything that has animal product in it, including stock, fish sauce etc...

Falls City Beer
03-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Love the Lima's I make a great dish with them and tomatoes.. you guys should come over.

Hate the meat, won't touch anything that has animal product in it, including stock, fish sauce etc...

I don't eat much meat myself anymore. Occasionally fish. It starts to make me feel sluggish if I eat it too often.

I'll bumrush your place if you homegrow your tomatoes. Eat those things like apples.