PDA

View Full Version : Piazza signs with Padres...

FlyingPig
01-29-2006, 06:35 PM
One year..2 million..

I figured he'd go to the A.L. to DH. Now he says he wants to catch 90-100 games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AiEhcHXznOkG9i30L2LLVd05nYcB?slug=ap-padres-piazza&prov=ap&type=lgns

KronoRed
01-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Baffeling move by the padres.

Jpup
01-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Baffeling move by the padres.

their offense is about as bad as the Reds pitching. At least they are only taking a chance for 2 million instead of 8 or 9 million. I think that the pub that they will get is worth some of that.

captainmorgan07
01-29-2006, 08:32 PM
why would u sign an old man to play catcher who can't stay healthy who we all kno his prime has passed him by and even they try to put him at first we all know how much of a disaster that was and when he catches my grandma could steal on him

Chip R
01-29-2006, 11:16 PM
That's a curious decision by Piazza to sign there. Of course he gets to play in Coors Field 8 or 9 times a year but he has to play in S.D. 81 times a year. Not to mention L.A. and S.F. aren't exactly great HR parks. He might be fortunate to even get 15 HRs. He's a lousy first baseman and a lousy catcher. Now I don't know the stats on this but I would think that since Petco park is Death Valley to HRs, managers would tend to steal and bunt more often. Even the captain's grandma can steal on him. Good deal for the Pads to get him for one year for only $2M. It'll sell some tickets there and even if he stinks they aren't committed to him beyond this year.

Unassisted
01-29-2006, 11:47 PM
I was going to guess that it was a desire to live on the west coast that drove Piazza to this deal, but apparently that wasn't the biggest reason.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13744072.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

Playing time was key in Piazza decision, catcher's dad says

BY JIM SALISBURY
Philadelphia Inquirer

PHILADELPHIA - Playing close to home and chasing his 400th home run with the team he grew up rooting for were enticing possibilities for Mike Piazza.

In the end, however, the Norristown, Pa.-born slugging catcher chose to sign with the San Diego Padres simply because they offered more playing time than the Phillies.

"He came very close to signing with the Phillies," Vince Piazza, Mike's father, said last night. "I don't know all the particulars, but the fact that he was going to have the opportunity to catch quite a few more games made a difference."

Piazza, 37, agreed Sunday to a one-year contract worth $2 million. The deal includes a mutual option worth $8 million for 2007.

The Phils had hoped to use Piazza in a variety of reserve roles. He could have occasionally spelled catcher Mike Lieberthal, gotten time at first base behind Ryan Howard, and been used as a pinch-hitter.

In San Diego, Piazza is expected to do the bulk of the team's catching and bat in the middle of the order.

"I'm disappointed," said Vince Piazza, a Phillies season-ticket holder. "I would have loved to have seen him be a Phillie. That's our hometown team. He grew up going to the Vet.

"But he wanted to catch a lot more, and the Phillies are in a tough situation because they already have a darn good catcher. Mike understands the situation. He still loves the Phillies and roots for them."

Piazza, a lifetime .311 hitter, was National League rookie of the year in 1993. He holds the record for most homers in a career as a catcher (374) and has hit 397 overall.

BCubb2003
01-30-2006, 01:30 AM
and when he catches my grandma could steal on him

But what's her OBP? After all, she can't steal first.

KronoRed
01-30-2006, 05:30 AM
He'll allow wild pitches galore and she'll reach on that :D

REDREAD
01-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Not a bad deal at all for 2 million. Keep in mind that Womack is making about that much (even though the Yanks are picking up some of the tab).

Wouldn't make sense for the Reds to sign him with LaRue in tow (since Piazza wants to catch), but a good move for SD, IMO.