PDA

View Full Version : Went to see the caravan in Nicholasville last night...

TylerScottDavis
01-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Just thought I'd mention a couple of things I found of interest. When asked about Freel's playing time/position, Narron said that Freel and Womack would be splitting time at 2nd with Freel continuing to be the 'super-sub' all over the place as well. Said specifically that Freel or Womack would bat leadoff with FeLo batting 2nd. Also said that EE and Aurilia would battle for the 3rd base position and probably split time there. The way it sounded there is a good chance Aurilia will see most of the playing time and said that he would put the team out there every night that gave him the best chance of winning. He also said that Dunn would definitely be playing at 1st base and that Kearns would get consistent playing time in RF, w/ WMP playing in LF. That's all I can think of right now, if I think of more, I'll post again later. Also I got several pics and I'll get them uploaded as soon as I have time.

Forgot to mention that when asked who he thought our "breakout player of the year" would be, he said pretty emphatically "Austin Kearns" and then went on to say "in fact, i'm pretty much betting my job on it".

KronoRed
01-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Said specifically that Freel or Womack would bat leadoff with FeLo batting 2nd. Also said that EE and Aurilia would battle for the 3rd base position and probably split time there. The way it sounded there is a good chance Aurilia will see most of the playing time and said that he would put the team out there every night that gave him the best chance of winning.
Wonderful.

Woack should never lead off..ever...can't steal 1st.

and Aurilia over EE? well I think we all know that's guaranteed now

Thanks for the rundown :)

membengal
01-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Also said that EE and Aurilia would battle for the 3rd base position and probably split time there. The way it sounded there is a good chance Aurilia will see most of the playing time and said that he would put the team out there every night that gave him the best chance of winning.

And with that note, the chances of me running amuck in Memphis today increased by a factor of 1000.

I may need to order a kneecap hit on Aurilia.

RFS62
01-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Forgot to mention that when asked who he thought our "breakout player of the year" would be, he said pretty emphatically "Austin Kearns" and then went on to say "in fact, i'm pretty much betting my job on it".

If he's not just blowing smoke, this is an interesting comment.

If I was "betting my job" on Austin's rebound, I'd have read him the riot act about getting in top shape over the offseason. And I'd be checking up on him before spring training starts, to make sure he's got his mind right.

I wouldn't bet my job on Austin unless I had a pretty good feeling about his understanding of how precarious his position is if he doesn't start working harder.

cumberlandreds
01-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Very disappointing comments about EE and Aurilia. EE should play everyday until he is a miserable failure,if he ever is. I just don't understand what the fasination of Aurilia is. If they were going to keep Aurilia then why sign Womack?:bang:

flyer85
01-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Wonderful.

Woack should never lead off..ever...can't steal 1st.Womack should never start at any position ... ever.

RA = 3B(which was my fear, you can book it because no way EE will develop while having to look over his shoulder all the time)

Narron on a one year deal is stupid(I hope he will be let go before the season) because to keep his job he must win in 2006 but winning should not the focus for the upcoming season. The focus should be building for 2007 and beyond.

I really don't have a lot of confidence that "Bob" is going to get this right.

Unassisted
01-30-2006, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about this yet. Perhaps spring training or the first couple weeks of April will lead to Narron rethinking Womack and Aurilia's roles? He has to know that a lackluster performance will not be favorable for his continued employment.

westofyou
01-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Tony Womack 4088 at bats from the #1 slot.

.275/.321/.364/.685

Last season the Reds were 9th in MLB in OB% from the #1 slot.

.272/.352/.390/.742

31 points is HUGE.

flyer85
01-30-2006, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about this yet. Perhaps spring training or the first couple weeks of April will lead to Narron rethinking Womack and Aurilia's roles? He has to know that a lackluster performance will not be favorable for his continued employment.... but a shouldn't a smart person be able to see the train wreck coming and avoid it completely.

creek14
01-30-2006, 12:13 PM
I bet I, a 50 year old not slim gimpy woman, would have more range at 3rd than RA. :bang:

westofyou
01-30-2006, 12:17 PM
I bet I, a 50 year old not slim gimpy woman, would have more range at 3rd than RA. :bang:

Here's my take.

The Reds are afraid of EE's K rate too, this in turn makes Narron fall in love with RA and his bat on the ball approach.

With Casey gone the Reds are flush with 7 guys who could have 100 K's in the year, that scares the hell out of former backup catchers who played for Gene Mauch.

They like their outs to be hit.

StillFunkyB
01-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Here's my take.

The Reds are afraid of EE's K rate too, this in turn makes Narron fall in love with RA and his bat on the ball approach.

With Casey gone the Reds are flush with 7 guys who could have 100 K's in the year, that scares the hell out of former backup catchers who played for Gene Mauch.

They like their outs to be hit.

And, to an extent, I understand that mindset. You know there is a better chance of something happening on a ball in play then a whiff. I just don't understand why it is stressed so hard sometimes. It shouldn't matter when your young and developing, and it shouldn't matter when your Adam Freakin Dunn.

KronoRed
01-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Sign her.:D

RedsBaron
01-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Probably so. You'd be ranging all the way over to the Reds firstbaseman every chance you got.;)

Chip R
01-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Sign her.:D

No way. She'd be too busy staring across the diamond at Adam and she get a ball hit at her right in the choppers.

KittyDuran
01-30-2006, 01:16 PM
No way. She'd be too busy staring across the diamond at Adam and she get a ball hit at her right in the choppers.She'd be better playing first base for the opposing team - so everytime Dunn gets a walk, she'd have to hold him at first. :devil:

TeamBoone
01-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Last night on Sports of All Sorts, I came away with exactly the opposite regarding 3B.

I can't recite the comment word for word, but when asked about the situation, Narron pretty much said the job would be EE's unless he didn't play well during ST and that "Richie" would be his backup.

He also said the same thing about Freel as reported above. TW would probably be playing 2nd with Freel super subbing all over the place and getting plenty of playing time. When TW was in the order without FREEL, he would lead off ; when he was in the lineup with Freel, TW would probably bat 8th. Lopez would bat 2nd in both scenarios.

I've written to JP at Channel 9 to see if he plans on publishing a transcript.

BTW, I asked this on a similar thread on the other side... how did Austin look?

KronoRed
01-30-2006, 03:14 PM
A picture on cincy.com shows Austin and he looks slim to me :dunno:

IslandRed
01-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Last night on Sports of All Sorts, I came away with exactly the opposite regarding 3B.

I can't recite the comment word for word, but when asked about the situation, Narron pretty much said the job would be EE's unless he didn't play well during ST and that "Richie" would be his backup.

He also said the same thing about Freel as reported above. TW would probably be playing 2nd with Freel super subbing all over the place and getting plenty of playing time. When TW was in the order without FREEL, he would lead off ; when he was in the lineup with Freel, TW would probably bat 8th. Lopez would bat 2nd in both scenarios.

OK, that's less annoying, although I hope Narron wises up and never bats him leadoff (or very much at all). But nonetheless, O'Brien stuck us with Womack, Narron has to manage him, and Narron doesn't know who his new boss will be or what that person will think of the personnel. Even if he agreed with the folks here on Womack's uselessness, he's not going to say so.

TylerScottDavis
01-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Maybe the vibe I got on the Aurilia thing was just paranoia, but that's the way he made it sound. He was kinda going around the diamond, saying who was going to play where, etc, and when he got to 2nd, I found it interesting that he didn't even say Aurilia. Then he got to 3rd and the first name out of his mouth was Aurilia's and although I don't remember exact quotes, it just sounded as if Aurilia was going to be his guy. He went on to say that nobody was going to come into spring training and win the job by default. He said guys would have to play their way onto the team regardless of any pre-conceived notions about who would be starting. I'm not sure who he was referring to about "winning a job by default", but in regards to 3rd base, I took it to mean that the job wasn't necessarily EE's, and that if Narron felt Rich gave us a better chance to win, that we could expect to see him out there over EE.

In regards to Austin, I too found his comment about betting his job on Austin's success this year to be interesting. He really talked Austin up, and mentioned all the trade rumors that had been going around about him. I kind of wonder if Narron didn't do his level best to talk DanO/Kullman out of any possible trade involving Kearns, and thus has put his job on the line. He really sounded confident that Austin was going to have a big year. TeamBoone, Austin didn't look overweight at all to me, but it was hard to tell since he never took his jacket off. In street clothes you'd never consider him overweight, but once he's in a baseball uniform, we'll be able to tell a little better what kind of shape he's in. My guess however is that he's coming into this season in much better shape than last.

He didn't mention where Womack would bat when him and Freel were both in the lineup, but I would assume 8th as well. I just don't like that fact that he said he's currently got Womack penciled into the leadoff spot when Freel's not playing. Blech.

TeamBoone
01-30-2006, 06:02 PM
I was surprised by what he said on SOAS last night. Obviously though, he's said two different things at two different venues. Guess we'll just have to wait and see which side of his mouth spoke the truth.

Reds1
01-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Very disappointing comments about EE and Aurilia. EE should play everyday until he is a miserable failure,if he ever is. I just don't understand what the fasination of Aurilia is. If they were going to keep Aurilia then why sign Womack?:bang:

There will be injuries. I like you want to see EE, but that being said I'll take Aurilia 2-3 times a week. I think it will all play out. I do like the competition factor. We will get to see what EE is made of. It will be pressure for him, but hey can he play or not! I liked the comments. We still need that pitching.

TylerScottDavis
01-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Just a thought, maybe it'll play out like last year. Aurilia gets the nod on opening day and starts every day for a couple of weeks while EE warms the bench and gets a few spare plate appearances here and there. Then, Aurilia goes down with an injury for 2 or 3 weeks and EE goes on a Feloesque offensive tear, while also demonstrating superior range at 3rd. Presto, history repeats itself and Aurilia loses his job to the young guy and spends the rest of the year complaining about playing time. We can hope, right?

KronoRed
01-30-2006, 06:26 PM
If Aurilia doesn't get hurt last year Lopez rots on the bench.

EE sat on the bench and got the occasional start last year, now is the time to see what he has as an everyday player.

Heath
01-30-2006, 06:37 PM
No Comment.

Especially if RA is being considered as the regular 3b.

[RANT]Why is a batted out better than strike out? How many different scenarios are there when a batted ball out is any different than a strike out? Sac Fly? Any batted ball hit to the right side of the infield with a runner on 3rd with one out? What's the % of that ever happening? Absurd judgement in my opinion. What Narron really means is that RA is a veteran and my job's at stake - I'm going with "sure-thing" instead of going with a rookie because he's going to fail. Take the road less traveled, Narron. It will make all the difference. [/ENDRANT]

EdE- if you lurk here - be advised that Reds fans do not share in the same viewpoints as your manager. Play like the All-Star that you are and beat the crap out of the veteran has-been in ST. We're in your corner, pal. :thumbup:

Go get'em!

Reds1
01-30-2006, 07:57 PM
No Comment.

Especially if RA is being considered as the regular 3b.

[RANT]Why is a batted out better than strike out? How many different scenarios are there when a batted ball out is any different than a strike out? Sac Fly? Any batted ball hit to the right side of the infield with a runner on 3rd with one out? What's the % of that ever happening? Absurd judgement in my opinion. What Narron really means is that RA is a veteran and my job's at stake - I'm going with "sure-thing" instead of going with a rookie because he's going to fail. Take the road less traveled, Narron. It will make all the difference. [/ENDRANT]

EdE- if you lurk here - be advised that Reds fans do not share in the same viewpoints as your manager. Play like the All-Star that you are and beat the crap out of the veteran has-been in ST. We're in your corner, pal. :thumbup:

Go get'em!

That's the longest "No Comment" I've ever seen! ;) :D