PDA

View Full Version : Book report (Arbuckle)

chicoruiz
01-30-2006, 08:57 PM
I just picked up the book Scout's Honor, which was published last year. It focuses on the Atlanta Braves method of scouting and player development, and Mike Arbuckle is mentioned a good bit in it. I was wondering if anyone else had read it, and if so, how you thought Arbuckle came off.

If no one else has read it, I'll be happy to post a book report when I'm done. But it takes me a long time to read a book; my lips get tired ;).

RedsManRick
01-31-2006, 12:45 AM
I read it about 6 months ago. I don't remember much about Mike Arbuckle specifically. I thought it was a bit self-righteous, trying to the anti-moneyball. Unfortunately, it took the Joe Morgan approach to understanding Moneyball.

It was still a pretty good read, but did a bit to affirm my belief that most people who rip "moneyball" and sabermetrics do so because they don't understand it and think that their beliefs are being attacked.

Chip R
01-31-2006, 07:57 AM
I read it about 6 months ago. I don't remember much about Mike Arbuckle specifically. I thought it was a bit self-righteous, trying to the anti-moneyball. Unfortunately, it took the Joe Morgan approach to understanding Moneyball.

Same here. I really don't remember much about what he said about Arbuckle. I think your take on the book is spot on.

Jaycint
01-31-2006, 07:41 PM
I frequent the Braves Scout message board quite a bit and Shanks runs the board over there. Let me tell ya, when he gets on an anti-moneyball roll he makes Morgan look like a *****cat. The guys is so full of himself it's ridiculous.

Dom Heffner
01-31-2006, 07:53 PM
Unfortunately, it took the Joe Morgan approach to understanding Moneyball.

Always ironic when Morgan spouts off about Moneyball, since he was an on base machine himself.

Team Clark
02-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Read the book and loved it. Actually read it twice. Pretty good behind the scenes stuff. A lot of factors, truisms, and just plain sense that gives the "Moneyballers" a run for... well their Money. LOL! The best Baseball book I have ever read. Hands down.