PDA

View Full Version : Academy Awards: Best Picture

savafan
01-31-2006, 10:06 AM
Here are the nominees.

RBA
01-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Is this who we would like to win or is it who do we think will win?

I haven't seen any of those movies. ;)

Danny Serafini
01-31-2006, 11:02 AM
I looked at the list of nominations, there was only one movie in any category that I've seen. So I will boldly predict that Star Wars will win the Oscar for best makeup. That's the only thing I can do.

savafan
01-31-2006, 11:28 AM

I haven't either RBA, so I went with who I think will win, Brokeback Mountain. I am somewhat curious to see this film, because part of me wonders if it really is that great of a film, or if it is only being honored because it is controversial.

MrCinatit
01-31-2006, 11:33 AM
the chances of Piqua's theaters carrying any of these movies is about as good as me being nominated for Best Spelling in an Original Written Drama. or something like that. which means i usually have to wait for the DVDs.
this leads up to the fact i have only seen one of these movies, in Crash - which i enjoyed quite a bit. for this, it gets my vote.
and i like Sandy Bullock.

westofyou
01-31-2006, 11:34 AM
I've seen 3 of them (not Crash nor Munich) in fact I've never seen a trailer or read a thing about Crash.

bucksfan
01-31-2006, 12:11 PM

Me either (probably more a reflection on me than anything else I guess).

Chip R
01-31-2006, 12:23 PM

As much buzz as there is for Brokeback Mountain lately, I think Crash has a very good chance of winning Best Picture. And not just because of the subject matter of BM. From what I've heard, Crash was really good and it's still generating a lot of buzz.

Reds Fanatic
01-31-2006, 12:26 PM
Crash is the only one I have seen and that was really good. I think Walk The Line should have been nominated. That was my favorite movie from last year.

Sweetstop
01-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Crash is an excellent film by Paul Haggis with a tremendous ensemble cast (that won Screen Actors Guild Award) from Don Cheadle and Matt Dillon to Thandie Newton, Terrence Howard, Ryan Phillipe...Sandra Bullock is also at her best.

I also thought Good Night and Good Luck was terrific and Capote may be the best of the three.

I have to see Brokeback Mountain and Munich before voting here though.

LvJ
02-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Good Night, and Good Luck.

I've seen them all besides Munich. :(

cincinnati chili
02-02-2006, 10:27 PM
I've seen 3 of them (not Crash nor Munich) in fact I've never seen a trailer or read a thing about Crash.

Personally, I thought "Crash" was vastly overrated. There were a few scenes that were quite touching or powerful. But for the most part, I thought it was a gross oversimplification of complex race issues. Sometimes laughably non-subtle.

I'd give the movie a tentative thumbs up at best, and am surprised that people like Roger Ebert are calling it the year's best film.

This guy (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060116/LETTERS/60126003) was a bit harsher than me, but I agree with a lot of his points.

it makes these people seem so nasty, so over-the-top racist, that we can say, “Yikes, I definitely don’t think like them!” Racism is one of the most complicated social issues we face today, and this is one of the least complicated “smart” movies I’ve seen in a long time.

SandyD
02-02-2006, 10:52 PM

Alfred really liked Crash. I haven't seen it, and I'm not really sure what it's about. I wanted to see Capote, but somehow missed it.

We both like Brokeback Mountain and Good Night and Good Luck. I'd give the nod to Brokeback Mountain I think if I had a vote. It really is a good movie, IMO.

I have no desire to see Munich at this point in my life. I catch it on DVD later, if I change my mind.

missionhockey21
02-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Good Night and Good Luck.... easily, tremendous flick. Although I have yet to see Capote so who knows if my vote would be different if I saw it.

pedro
02-03-2006, 02:21 PM
I really want to see "Good night, Good Luck". I'm just waiting for it to hit the brew pub theatres.

Chip R
02-03-2006, 02:47 PM
I really want to see "Good night, Good Luck". I'm just waiting for it to hit the brew pub theatres.

I'm debating whether to see that on Saturday or just wait for the DVD.

westofyou
02-03-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm debating whether to see that on Saturday or just wait for the DVD.
Go see it, it's very good.. plus it's not long and it's very engaging from begining to end.

Chip R
02-03-2006, 02:50 PM
You guys have brew pub theaters out there? That like the Cinema Grill?

Ravenlord
02-03-2006, 02:59 PM
i've only heard of two of those movies...and Munich simply because i saw a trailor of it in the theater many months ago.

westofyou
02-03-2006, 03:20 PM
You guys have brew pub theaters out there? That like the Cinema Grill?

Theaters with tables and pizza and beer... $3 admission.

Chip R
02-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Theaters with tables and pizza and beer... $3 admission.

That sounds like a pretty good deal.

savafan
02-08-2006, 01:55 AM
I looked at the list of nominations, there was only one movie in any category that I've seen. So I will boldly predict that Star Wars will win the Oscar for best makeup. That's the only thing I can do.

Which brings us to our first Oscar scandal of the year.

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2006-02-08/#3

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith hairdresser Annette Miles is smarting after her name mysteriously disappeared from the list of Oscar nominations last week. Despite the initial nominations press release naming Australian Miles alongside Dave Elsey for Achievement In Make-Up, Miles' name was later replaced in the category by fellow Australian Nikki Gooley. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) said the inclusion of Miles' name was a "an administrative error" after hearing the hairstylist had left the set of the George Lucas sci-fi epic before filming ended. AMPAS director of communications John Pavlik said the change had been made after the voting committee decided Gooley was more deserving of the nomination, but were open to reconsidering Miles' nod, should she submit further material. Miles claims she left the Star Wars set just 10 days before filming ending on "the same day Natalie Portman left."