PDA

View Full Version : Of the 7 "announced" candidates for GM, who's your pick?

GriffeyFan
02-01-2006, 12:45 AM
If you had to pick from this list, who would it be?

Wayne Krivsky, Minnesota assistant GM

Brad Kullman, Reds interim GM

Johnny Almaraz, Reds director of international scouting and player development

Leland Maddox, Reds scout and former scouting director

Jim Beattie, Special assistant for the Reds, former Baltimore GM

Mike Arbuckle, assistant GM with Philadelphia

John Mozeliak, assistant GM with St. Louis

TOBTTReds
02-01-2006, 01:09 AM
I like Arbuckle's past with the Braves. Don't think you can go wrong with someone who has seen it work like that. I like kullman, but im afraid he has seen too much of DanO and Bowden to be different and more successful.

Krusty
02-01-2006, 01:25 AM
I think the Reds will take someone who has previous experience as an assistant GM.

Jpup
02-01-2006, 02:47 AM
I think it's going to be Beattie. I also think that more people are going to interview than those on the list. I wonder if the Reds have contacted DePodesta at all? It would be interesting to find out. I guess, out of all those guys, I would go with Krivsky.

Your topic title and your poll question are not the same. To answer your poll question, my choice is not listed. DePodesta is my 1st choice, by far.

MartyFan
02-01-2006, 04:25 AM
I'm curious if the plan may be to keep Beattie around as a consultant and hire someone like Mozeliak and then keeping Kullman in the fold.

KronoRed
02-01-2006, 07:59 AM
I think it will be Beattie as well, his former GM experience coming into play.

I also think it will be a bad hire.

chicoruiz
02-01-2006, 08:22 AM
I'm OK with Mozeliak or Krivsky.

Secondary question: Since Mike Hill turned down an interview, will the Reds have to interview another minority candidate to show due diligence, or does Almarez fulfil that need?

missionhockey21
02-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Grr.... doesn't anyone from the Reds Front Office check my profile at Redszone to look at my avatar and username?

1. Mozeliak 2. Krivsky 3. Kullman

I seriously hope some other names are added though.

marcshoe
02-01-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm OK with Mozeliak or Krivsky.

Secondary question: Since Mike Hill turned down an interview, will the Reds have to interview another minority candidate to show due diligence, or does Almarez fulfil that need?

Leland Maddox does, I believe.

GAC
02-01-2006, 10:11 AM
DePodesta ain't got a chance. It'll come down to Krivsky or Beattie IMO. I just hope that doesn't mean that Kullman will then leave the organization that won't give him a shot.

rdiersin
02-01-2006, 10:20 AM
DePodesta ain't got a chance. It'll come down to Krivsky or Beattie IMO. I just hope that doesn't mean that Kullman will then leave the organization that won't give him a shot.

I believe he has already stated that if he doesn't get the gm position, he still hopes to remain with the organization.

Joseph
02-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Has Krivsky been a bridesmaid too many times to make a good bride, so to speak?

Puffy
02-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Can I have some better choices please?

Thanks.

CincyRedsFan30
02-01-2006, 12:27 PM
I still believe Krivsky or Kullman will be the GM, but I still don't count out Mozeliak.

I would be OK with any of those three, but after reading up on all of them, I think Mozeliak would be my first choice, followed by Kullman and then Krivsky.

TOBTTReds
02-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Isn't the question "who we want for the GM" not who will the Reds get???

I think the Reds will take someone who has previous experience as an assistant GM.

Your topic title and your poll question are not the same. To answer your poll question, my choice is not listed. DePodesta is my 1st choice, by far.

Those were the 7 listed. Of those 7, who do you want? That's like you saying you want Roger Clemens on the team when you have to choose from free agents, and you already know RC is not an option.

Caveat Emperor
02-01-2006, 01:24 PM
I think it's going to be Beattie. I also think that more people are going to interview than those on the list. I wonder if the Reds have contacted DePodesta at all? It would be interesting to find out. I guess, out of all those guys, I would go with Krivsky.

If Casty had already decided that Beattie was going to be the GM, there'd be no point in going through all of this process. They'd give Kullman a courtesy interview, bring in 1 or 2 guys, fulfill their minority interviewing quota (which is an absolute joke in both the NFL and MLB, but that's a topic for another thread some slow day), and then name Beattie as the GM. Casty doesn't strike me as a man who enjoys wasting time (see: firing DanO), and this would be a giant waste of time, time that Beattie could be using to run the ballclub.

I actually think Beattie is the least likely of the group to get the job permenantly. Kullman is riding a close 2nd (he's already been reigned in by Casty -- not a good sign if the boss isn't trusting him at this point) on the "least likely" list. I also think that Almarez and Maddox get axed for having connections to previously failed Reds regimes.

I think Arbuckle is a serious candidate, given his role in Atlanta. I think Mozeliak is a serious candidate, due to his familiarity with the type of front office that Casty likely wants to run and his success as part of the Cardinals organization. I think Krivsky is a serious candidate, given that he's still got that "highly regarded" tag attached to him and it does seem only a matter of time until someone gives him a shot at being a GM.

If I were a betting man, I'd lay my money on Mozeliak. In any job interview, there's nothing quite like having a track record with the boss and nothing a boss likes more than a known commodity.

ochre
02-01-2006, 01:26 PM
I answered 'd', but only because I thought it was 'none of the above'. :)

Chip R
02-01-2006, 01:42 PM
I like Kullman but I'm afraid even with all the research he's done about pitching that he has the "Reds' stink" on him as would Maddox and Almaraz. I'm not positive these guys still aren't from the JimBo school of how to find starting pitching - especially Kullman. I don't care for Arbuckle since he has a Phillies pedigree. I think Krivsky would be OK. Possibly the fellow from StL. As WOY has said before, about every successful GM we've had has come by way of StL. Beattie wouldn't make me very confident although it would get the Reds back in the good graces of St. Peter over at ESPN. I would have liked to see Kim Ng at least get an interview here. Dan Jennings sounds promising but he isn't on the list either. I'd say it was between Krivsky, Kullman and Mozeliak. If I had to stake my job on it, I'd go with Krivsky by a hair over Mozeliak.

Big Donkey
02-01-2006, 03:40 PM
On Jim Beattie: I honestly don't believe he stands a great chance of getting the job, but that's just the vibes I get. I think Castellini really likes him in that "advisor's role" of his, so I wouldn't get to worked up over him for those afraid he gets it. He is very, very tentative, and it'd almost be Dan O'Brien all over again. So if he does get it, feel free to hunt me down.

In my opinion, of those listed so far, the three people most likely to get the job are at least the three most people seem to like on here - Krivsky, Kullman and Mozeliak. Even if Kullman doesn't get the regular gig, he is likely to stay on as the assistant GM himself. I think there's a very good chance of that, that he will still have responsibilities and have his hand involved in the grand scheme of turning this organization around.

I don't believe this to be the final list of candidates. They will probably add a few more people, and hopefully some more higher-end candidates emerge yet. They're looking to get more interviews in by the end of next week.

Sea Ray
02-01-2006, 05:06 PM
I don't know, I think 7 is plenty. I'm not so sure they want to deal with more than 7

Chip R
02-01-2006, 05:14 PM
I don't know, I think 7 is plenty. I'm not so sure they want to deal with more than 7

If they got 3 more then we could call them the "Gang of 10." Or is that already taken? ;)

Doc. Scott
02-01-2006, 06:05 PM
I've decided to root for Mozeliak. Sometimes unknown is better.

Buckeye33
02-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Marcs blog is stating that Frank Wren is going to get an interview.

I'd like to see someone who has been in the Atlanta organization get the GM spot. Wren is 2nd in charge in Atlanta. If he is interviewed, he'd be my choice.

So, I'm casting a write in vote for Frank Wren!

M2
02-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Now if they'd just interview DePo that would cover the Braves, A's, Twins, Cardinals gamut that interested me most.

Joseph
02-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Wasn't Wren a disaster in Baltimore though? Or was that perhaps more Angelos fault and less his?

M2
02-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Wasn't Wren a disaster in Baltimore though? Or was that perhaps more Angelos fault and less his?

It's hard to say. The Orioles were great in 1997, got old in 1998 and Angelos pulled a Steinbrenner after that.

It's hard to say if Wren was given control of anything in those days. Plus, Pat Gillick has a running history of leaving teams in a heap. He always walks away right before the franchise collapses. Wren inherited an expensive mess with a meddlesome owner.

Outside of that one year he's got a sweet track record ... or at least he's been in a lot right places at the right time.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/execdb/showperson.php?idx=WrenFr01&fname=Frank&lname=Wren

GAC
02-01-2006, 08:38 PM
If Casty had already decided that Beattie was going to be the GM, there'd be no point in going through all of this process.

Not really. Sure, he may be leaning towards Beattie (no one really knows); but he is still going to follow, in good faith anyway, MLB policy (interview a minority). And it is in his best interest to interview all likely candidates.

IslandRed
02-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Do I remember right that the GM reporting directly to Castellini is not the intended permanent arrangement? The "special adviser" deal makes me think that maybe Beattie, whose job titles suggest executive-suite experience in addition to GM duties, is being sized up for a Team President-type role instead. Could be wrong.

Sea Ray
02-01-2006, 09:10 PM
It's fun for us fans to pick our GM from a list like this but really, we'd have to hear these guys speak to really make a judgement. Case in point: DanO. Tell me, how did DanO ever impress anyone in an interview? How did he ever get that job?

The bottomline is, although these guys may come from good organizations (like DanO did with Houston) they may have personalities like O'Brien.

KronoRed
02-01-2006, 09:42 PM
How did he ever get that job?

Local guy who talked a lot about the past.

Caveat Emperor
02-02-2006, 02:03 AM
Case in point: DanO. Tell me, how did DanO ever impress anyone in an interview? How did he ever get that job?

Before his interview, he used this:
http://www.fobiopatel.com/dongles/archives/easy.jpg

jmcclain19
02-06-2006, 04:47 AM
I don't think we've heard enough about any of these guys save Kullman to make a sound judgement yet.

Color me uninformed at this point.

However, I'll cast my vote for any outsider. It's time to clean house, let's keep using that Castellini broom.

Still hoping Grady Fuson or Mike Rizzo makes a short list appearance before all is said and done.

KronoRed
02-06-2006, 11:11 AM
However, I'll cast my vote for any outsider. It's time to clean house, let's keep using that Castellini broom.

I agree, and I mean everyone should go..scouts, old assistant GM's..everyone.

RedRoser
02-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Cast my (write-in) vote for Wren also.

Sea Ray
02-08-2006, 06:10 PM
By the looks of this poll there should be a lot of happy Redszoners out there

KronoRed
02-08-2006, 07:01 PM
I wanna change my vote ;)