PDA

View Full Version : Napoleon Dynamite

savafan
02-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Watched this film last night. By the end of the movie, I was fascinated at what a brilliant piece of filmmaking it was. The filmmakers (an MTV film by the way) have proven that you can still make an entertaining movie without using obscene language, violence and sex. I know some people are put off by this movie because of it's popularity, but it is an amazing remarkable film with a good message behind it, which is simply to be yourself. I hope in the future this movie is regarded as a classic. If you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend it.

max venable
02-01-2006, 11:58 AM
my two pennies...

I HATED IT! Two words: Bo and Ring.

I do, however appreciate the fact that it was violence and profanity-free. I watched it with my kids (10 and 7) and they hated it too. I kept waiting for it to get better but it never did.

When you talk to people about it, you'll find that they're either like savafan or me--they either love it or hate it. There's really no in-between.

To each his own.

GIK
02-01-2006, 12:03 PM
I liked it. Everyone said I'd hate it, or it would take a second viewing to appreciate it, but I guess it's just my type of humor. My Dad loved it as well.

Puffy
02-01-2006, 12:06 PM
I loved it - and I think it gets better the more times you watch it.

Johnny Footstool
02-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Count me among the "Love It" crowd.

Subtle comedy is becoming a lost art. The film relied almost entirely on interpersonal dialogue and performances for it's humor, and I think it paid off in spades.

I'll take this kind of film over a plot-heavy quagmire like "Rush Hour" any day.

And it WILL be recognized as a classic simply because of the quotability of the lines.

"It's awesome. It's...incredible!"

Chip R
02-01-2006, 12:08 PM
I liked it. I thought the opening credits were very creative. I thought Uncle Rico and Kip were hilarious.

bucksfan
02-01-2006, 12:13 PM
I surprised myself by liking it. My wife picked it up for <$5 the other day, so now it's part of our library. I doubt we'd have bought it for "regul;ar" price, but it was good enough to sacrifice 1 pint of Bass at our new favorite (prices not considered) restaurant.

LincolnparkRed
02-01-2006, 12:44 PM
I resisted seeing it for a while because all the hype and because I have not liked many of the MTV movies. But I watched it one HBO one day and I really enjoyed it.

gonelong
02-01-2006, 12:58 PM
This is one of those movies that if you haven't watched it at least 3 times ... you haven't really "seen" the movie yet.

GL

max venable
02-01-2006, 01:04 PM
This is one of those movies that if you haven't watched it at least 3 times ... you haven't really "seen" the movie yet.

GL
Unfortuneatly, I disliked the first time so much, I'm never going to get there. 2hrs. already down the drain...can't see makin' it 6.

Johnny Footstool
02-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Be sure to watch after the credits -- there is a wedding scene that is probably the funniest thing in the movie.

rdiersin
02-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Be sure to watch after the credits -- there is a wedding scene that is probably the funniest thing in the movie.

Yea, the wedding scene is very good. Similarly, I like the end scene in the 40 year old virgin. Different movies, but similar in the way that I didn't think I would like either, but loved both.

redsfan30
02-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Great movie. It is indeed one of those where you need to watch it mulitple times for it to reach its full hilarity level.

IowaRed
02-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Not since Beavis and Butthead Do America have I laughed so hard sitting in a movie theatre. That's all I really care about. There are a lot of lines that I will be quoting and laughing at for years to come.

Chip R
02-01-2006, 01:55 PM
Be sure to watch after the credits --

Well, maybe I will! Gosh! ;)

redsfan30
02-01-2006, 03:25 PM
There are a lot of lines that I will be quoting and laughing at for years to come.
Hey IowaRed, tell us what you did last summer again.....

15fan
02-01-2006, 03:38 PM
I've been too busy chatting on the internet with hot babes to see it.

;)

Roy Tucker
02-01-2006, 03:42 PM
My kids bought the DVD and watched it incessantly.

I understand it's charm, but I thought it was just mildly amusing. I guess I'm just outside of the age bracket its aimed at.

GIK
02-01-2006, 03:45 PM

I understand it's charm, but I thought it was just mildly amusing. I guess I'm just outside of the age bracket its aimed at.

My mid-50's Dad would disagree. ;)

redsfan30
02-01-2006, 03:47 PM
My mid-50's Dad would disagree. ;)
As would my mid-50's mom.

Roy Tucker
02-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Well then, I guess I'm just a boring old fart.

:mooner:

Red Leader
02-01-2006, 03:57 PM

It's ok Roy, we still have Grumpy Old Men, and Grumpier Old Men! :beerme:

RFS62
02-01-2006, 06:55 PM

I agree. And I'm all about subtle and intelligent humor.

A few funny moments, but after all I'd heard from people who loved it, I was surprised.

Chip R
02-01-2006, 06:58 PM
A few funny moments, but after all I'd heard from people who loved it, I was surprised.
Yeah, my grandparents didn't like it either. :evil:

RFS62
02-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Yeah, my grandparents didn't like it either. :evil:

Yeah, yeah.

I loved Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.

I got all the jokes and references in Napolean. I just didn't think they were all that funny.

dman
02-01-2006, 07:48 PM
And it WILL be recognized as a classic simply because of the quotability of the lines.
Vote For Pedro

redsfanmia
02-01-2006, 08:04 PM
I watched it twice just to see if I missed the funny parts the first time. I didnt miss them they were not there.

IowaRed
02-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey IowaRed, tell us what you did last summer again.....

I told you! I spent it with my uncle in Alaska hunting wolverines!

reds1869
02-01-2006, 09:31 PM
My wife and I loved it! we fully expectedto hate it because teh middle school kids we teach liked it. We were pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Yachtzee
02-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Why do you love me?
Why do you need me?
Always and forever...

We met in a chatroom,
now our love can fully bloom...
Sure the world wide web is great,
but you, you make my salivate...
I love technology,
but not as much as you, you see...
But I STILL love technology...
Always and forever.

Our love is like a flock of doves,
flying up to heaven above...
always and forever,
always and forever...

Why do you need me?
Why do you love me?
Always and forever...

Red in Chicago
02-01-2006, 11:06 PM
"are you having a killer time"

i love this movie...

Johnny Footstool
02-02-2006, 09:53 AM
But I STILL love technology...
Always and forever.

The hand gesture Kip makes when he sings those lines almost brings me to tears.

Chip R
02-02-2006, 09:57 AM
"Welcome to D-Qwon's dance grooves, are you ready to get your groove on?"

"Yes."
:lol:

redsfan30
02-02-2006, 10:00 AM
I told you! I spent it with my uncle in Alaska hunting wolverines!
Did you shoot any of them?

CrackerJack
02-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Watched this film last night. By the end of the movie, I was fascinated at what a brilliant piece of filmmaking it was. The filmmakers (an MTV film by the way) have proven that you can still make an entertaining movie without using obscene language, violence and sex. I know some people are put off by this movie because of it's popularity, but it is an amazing remarkable film with a good message behind it, which is simply to be yourself. I hope in the future this movie is regarded as a classic. If you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend it.

Loved it. I really miss the innocent humor in TV shows and movies these days. And yes it actually had a good message, go figure.

Sweetstop
02-02-2006, 10:31 AM
This 50-something mom and her almost-60 husband watched it on the enthusiastic recommendation of our almost-30 son. We both thought it was hysterical. I loved the old man and the cow and the schoolbus and moving the chickens. A warped sense of humor helps but, ultimately, it's a very sweet movie.

Johnny Footstool
02-02-2006, 10:56 AM
The old farmer (Lyle, I think) was hilarious -- eating that egg sandwich and talking about the Indian arrowhead he found. He also serves as the Justice of the Peace during the wedding.

IowaRed
02-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Did you shoot any of them?

Yes, like 50 of 'em! They kept trying to attack my cousins, what the heck would you do in a situation like that?

Sean_CaseyRules
02-02-2006, 12:39 PM
I actually had to watch it a 2nd time to appriciate it and get all the jokes of the movie, but after the second time, i loooove this movie, i thinks its hilarious, and my girlfriend and her sister love the movie so much they just call eachother out of the blue and do the "Can you bring me my chapstick" scene all of the time.

Crash Davis
02-02-2006, 12:52 PM
"Build her a cake or something."

:Kip: "That's what I'm talking about."

pedro
02-02-2006, 12:58 PM
I've never seen it.

TRF
02-02-2006, 02:26 PM
I've never seen it.

A lot of actors never see movies they are in. :)

KronoRed
02-02-2006, 02:50 PM
I've never seen it.
Same.

But I'm not mentioned in it so I guess I'm safe

redsfan30
02-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Yes, like 50 of 'em! They kept trying to attack my cousins, what the heck would you do in a situation like that?
What kind of gun did you use?

IowaRed
02-02-2006, 08:18 PM
What kind of gun did you use?

A freakin' 12-gauge, what do you think?

macro
06-21-2006, 12:40 AM
I finally got around to watching this a few weeks ago, but just now remembered to add my two cents to this thread. Put my wife and me in the "Loved It" category. It took me two viewings to really get into it, though. I find so many lines from this goofy movie going through my mind at odd times during the day. Our two-year-old sometimes says "Tina, come get some HAM!" because he knows that will get a laugh out of us.

As someone said earlier, I think this is going to be one of those like O Brother Where Art Though, that will get better each time it's watched. So many goofy characters. Good stuff!

deltachi8
06-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Tina you fat lard...

flyer85
06-21-2006, 09:16 AM

:mooner:who said you're boring

ManITellUWhut
06-21-2006, 09:16 AM
Great movie! Definitely one in which you "get" the more you watch it.

The scene where Uncle Rico sells the tupperware to the couple, promising them the miniature sailboat if they purchase a set, is subtle but classic! :lol:

Johnny Footstool
06-21-2006, 09:34 AM

The scene where Uncle Rico sells the tupperware to the couple, promising them the miniature sailboat if they purchase a set, is subtle but classic! :lol:

I can't. I can't rip it. [hangs head]

Unassisted
06-21-2006, 09:37 AM
I understand it's charm, but I thought it was just mildly amusing. I guess I'm just outside of the age bracket its aimed at.I'm right there with you, Roy. My kids think it's hilarious and I thought it was just OK.

I'm glad it's harmless and I'm glad I waited to see it on video.

Sweetstop
06-21-2006, 10:04 AM
I caught my 60-this-year husband watching it again on HBO last night.

RichRed
06-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Loved this movie! After my fiancee and I saw it the first time, our first reaction was kind of, "What did we just see?" We started telling people it was just ok, but then found ourselves quoting lines from the movie and cracking up.

We've seen it two more times since then and liked it more each time. I agree with those who think it will be a classic, or at least a cult classic.

"Your mom goes to college." - Kip

Falls City Beer
06-21-2006, 07:38 PM
"The wisdom of a man..."

WebScorpion
06-23-2006, 04:02 PM
"This is pretty much the worst video ever MADE." -Napoleon Dynamite

I'm amazed to see how many people can do the dance routine. It's scary, yet awe-inspiring, to see people who've never met do a perfect dance routine together. :eek:

LoganBuck
06-26-2006, 02:01 PM
How does Uncle Rico have cell phone service?

I find myself humming "Yes I love technology, but not as much as you, you see, but I still love technology" When my wife tells me to quit messing around on Redszone.

My wife ordered a Quesa-DILL-a the other day as a joke I our favorite local restraunt. I am sure they spit in her food.

StillFunkyB
06-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Anyone see when Jon Heder won the award for the movie and people were cheering for him he said "Shut up, Gosh!"

That was funny.

savafan
06-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Strange:

Vai Sikahema (born August 29, 1962 in Tonga ) was an NFL running back who played for 8 seasons from 1986 to 1993. Sikahema was a special teams standout for several teams, including the St. Louis Cardinals, Phoenix Cardinals, Green Bay Packers, and Philadelphia Eagles. He was named to the Pro Bowl twice (in 1986 and 1987). It was his stint with the Eagles that he came up with the famous "goalpost punching" stunt after scoring a kickoff return touchdown.

Sikahema is currently the Sports Director for WCAU, an NBC O & O, in Philadelphia, PA. His cousin, Reno Mahe, plays running back for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Sikahema is also the uncle of Jon Heder a.k.a. Napoleon Dynamite.

pedro
06-26-2006, 05:21 PM
A lot of actors never see movies they are in. :)

I'm a character not an actor, and certainly not a character actor.

Doc. Scott
06-26-2006, 06:07 PM
I think this film is especially popular in Ohio for some reason. Everyone I know that's still there is always making references, and I went to one of the Columbus Arena Football games last year and they had clips up on the scoreboard about every ten seconds.

RFS62
06-26-2006, 06:22 PM
I think this film is especially popular in Ohio for some reason. Everyone I know that's still there is always making references, and I went to one of the Columbus Arena Football games last year and they had clips up on the scoreboard about every ten seconds.

Probably because of their unusually high llama population.

macro
08-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Earlier this week I observed my two-year-old attempting to fill his pocket with tater tots.

Falls City Beer
08-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Earlier this week I observed my two-year-old attempting to fill his pocket with tater tots.

That's funny that you say that. My elder daughter, when she was two or three, would always try to stuff french fries in her pocket if she hadn't finished them.

Must be some primal hoarding behavior. :)

redsrule2500
08-07-2006, 12:11 AM

I agree completely. I liked it a lot when I first watched it, but since it's become so popular it really lost it's appeal for me.

On another note - it wans't made by MTV, they just did the licensing and got it into theatres. It was an award winning independent film they bought pretty much.

redsrule2500
08-07-2006, 12:13 AM

Was there something I missed here? How is it funny?

Caseyfan21
08-07-2006, 12:21 AM
I know I didn't think much of the previews but I heard a ton about it via word of mouth. That and the fact it is so quotable will keep it popular for a long time. I am almost sick of it getting quoted though.

Johnny Footstool
08-07-2006, 12:53 AM
Was there something I missed here? How is it funny?

The reactions of the married couple to the cheap plastic ship ("I want that!" declares the wife greedily) and to the husband's inability to rip the tupperware (his wife scowls, and he hangs his head as if he's just lost his manhood) were brilliant.

macro
08-07-2006, 11:17 AM
The reactions of the married couple to the cheap plastic ship ("I want that!" declares the wife greedily) and to the husband's inability to rip the tupperware (his wife scowls, and he hangs his head as if he's just lost his manhood) were brilliant.

Agreed! One of my favorite scenes! :lol:

dunn4life
08-10-2006, 08:38 PM
if you happen to see it again do so with the directors comments on.they talk about uncle rico,and how he eats steak in the entire movie but is really a vegiterian.In the scene where rico and kip are sitting on the porch and they are eating steak as he throws it he goes to his mouth as if to wipe it but he`s really spitting it out.

TeamBoone
08-11-2006, 12:45 PM
I really like Neopolitan Dynamite (Ben & Jerry's... excellent ice cream choice).