PDA

View Full Version : Bubba Nelson DFA, LaCoss signed as instructor

Gallen5862
02-01-2006, 08:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions
Cincinnati Reds Designated pitcher Bubba Nelson for assignment; named Mile LaCoss roving minor league pitching instructor.
This makes room for Rick white on the 40 man roster. Hopefully Bubba Nelson clears waivers and we can send him to AAA.
Does anyone know anything about Mile Lacoss?

westofyou
02-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Does anyone know anything about Mile Lacross

Mike LaCoss, former Red and Giant.

wheels
02-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Mile Across?

Know nothing of him.:D

Gallen5862
02-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks. I edited the name.

Tony Cloninger
02-01-2006, 08:56 PM
This also just in........ any and all underachieving Reds pitchers from the late 70's through early 80's are invited to teach this pitching staff and all minor leaugers how to pitch.

Paul Moskau....Frank Pastore.... ... Bruce Walk a Man an Inning Bereyini (sic)

Heath
02-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Asking about Mike LaCoss usually involves some comment of Charlie Leibrandt as well.

captainmorgan07
02-01-2006, 09:03 PM
i hope he clears waivers 2 we shall see how mr.white performs and how long he stays

Tony Cloninger
02-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Charlie underperformed in Cincy.....he even blamed Bench for not letting him pitch to his strenghts. He obviously showed up better in KC and ATL.

Heck...the Reds had Jay Howell and Shane Rawley (traded for Dave Collins)

Sea Ray
02-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Charlie underperformed in Cincy.....he even blamed Bench for not letting him pitch to his strenghts. He obviously showed up better in KC and ATL.

Heck...the Reds had Jay Howell and Shane Rawley (traded for Dave Collins)

Junk balling lefties generally do need extra time. See Chris Hammond and Jamie Moyer.

The key is to acquire these guys at the right time. Bob Howsam did that to a T in the 70s by stealing Freddie Norman from the Padres.

marcshoe
02-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Buffy!!!

Hey, Joe Price was at RCast's press conference. :cool:

But I think every ex-Red except Tracy Jones was invited.

westofyou
02-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Bob Howsam did that to a T in the 70s by stealing Freddie Norman from the Padres.Another key to that was the Padres didn't want Norman to throw the screwball, the Reds encouraged it.

Norman and Billingham to aquired pitchers with not much stuff were #1 and #2 in IP for the Reds in the 70's

TheBigLebowski
02-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Any discussion of classic Reds hurlers is incomplete without mention of Bill Gullickson and Tim Birtsas.

A Tim Birtsas fastball could not break a wet paper towel.

More...Mo Sanford, who I always thought would be a star.

Scott Scudder - even though I was very young when he pitched, I knew he sucked, even though I remember the commentators always talking about what a great pitcher he was going to be.

Jack Armstrong - cut and paste the Scott Scudder description.

I think Scott "Boom Boom" Sullivan has earned his way into "Classic" status.

Mario Soto had one of the best changeups of all time. Definitely "classic" status.

Ron Robinson makes anyone's classic team. Same for Ted Power.

Ron Murphy!!!

Chip R
02-01-2006, 11:07 PM
This also just in........ any and all underachieving Reds pitchers from the late 70's through early 80's are invited to teach this pitching staff and all minor leaugers how to pitch.

Paul Moskau....Frank Pastore.... ... Bruce Walk a Man an Inning Bereyini (sic)

Hey, better them than the bunch we have pitching for us now. ;) I'd kill for these guys to have those guys' ERAs.

bucksfan
02-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Speaking of Frank Pastore.... I think I remember from someone here is that he is a DJ/radio personality out west somewhere. Well oddly enough, this very day on a central bulletin board in our plant , I saw a flyer for what appeared to be a rock band. Turns out it was a band that did "biblical parodies" of rock songs, one of whose members was a coworkers's son - anyways, I don't know why really that I read some of the details on the flyer, but one of the small quotes about the band, tucked away near the bottom, was from Frank Pastore from such-and-such a radio station.

...now back to something interesting.... ;)

savafan
02-02-2006, 12:42 AM
Ron Murphy!!!

I think you mean Rob Murphy. Went to Boston along with Esasky in the Todd Benzinger trade.

BoydsOfSummer
02-02-2006, 05:00 AM
Mile Across?

Know nothing of him.:D

"How wide is the river momma...mile across and widening..."-Johnny Cash :D

KronoRed
02-02-2006, 07:20 AM
i hope he clears waivers 2 we shall see how mr.white performs and how long he stays
Too long.

wheels
02-02-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm sure Bill Scherer's floating around someplace.

Cant Touch This
02-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Don't forget about Doug Bair and other classics such as Brad Lesley and Tim Layana. In Nintendo RBI, you could bring in Layana for one inning if you needed a fresh arm to relieve Tom Browning before handing it over to one of the Nasty Boys. Mariano Duncan is a stud for the 1990 Reds in that game...

By the way, don't hate on Frank Pastore! He was my favorite player when I was growing up (partially because 35 was my lucky number.) At a "meet the Reds" banquet in Tampa one spring training, I sat at his table and he called my dad who stayed behind in Cincinnati from a hotel phone (no cell phones then) to demand a raise in my allowance. Good egg, that Frank.

traderumor
02-02-2006, 10:52 AM

Paul Moskau....Frank Pastore.... ... Bruce Walk a Man an Inning Bereyini (sic)Underachievers or overrated? Plus, a pitcher's physical abilities to pitch have little to nothing to do with being a good pitching coach, so maybe LaCoss can actually coach.

Tony Cloninger
02-02-2006, 11:17 AM
I agree Traderumor....about a status of a player not being a bearing on his ability to coach. It just seems like they have a call out to all old Reds hurlers.
I thought my sarcasm was telling. ;)

I liked Frank too....... but he just really disappointed after 1980.

I do not think Paul or Frank would have fared too well in GAB.
Frank would have let it get to his head and Paul always seemed to give up a HR on every start. I recall a lot of his starts against LA as tee time for DSodger hitters.

westofyou
02-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Paul always seemed to give up a HR on every start.

In 78 the Reds had 2 guys with under 620 batters faced and more than 15 HR's allowed.

Not good, not good at all

HOMERUNS HR BFP
1 Jim Colborn 25 630
2 Glenn Abbott 22 689
3 Jerry Garvin 20 656
T4 Paul Moskau 17 613
T4 Dave Roberts 17 627
T6 Jim Lonborg 16 505
T6 Mickey Mahler 16 597
T6 Balor Moore 16 635
T6 Catfish Hunter 16 477
T6 Manny Sarmiento 16 538
T6 Dave Lemanczyk 16 620
T6 Wayne Twitchell 16 510
T6 Dick Pole 16 451

savafan
02-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Don't forget about Doug Bair and other classics such as Brad Lesley and Tim Layana.

Unless you want to bring Layana to camp as a zombie instructor, I don't think that's going to happen.

Tony Cloninger
02-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Glad you brought that stat out WOY......... living in LA, i saw plenty of those Reds-Dodgers games starting in 1974....... Moskau was always good at giving up runs in bunches. Lopes seemed to hit him very well.

That 1978 bullpen of Borbon..Tomlin...Sarmiento.... as set up/long men (although those terms were not used) were overused and sometimes beyond terrible. I mean 2004-05 bullpen terrible. Ricky Stone bad.

Roy Tucker
02-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Only one Buffy mention in this thread. I'm shocked.

Heath
02-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Glad you brought that stat out WOY......... living in LA, i saw plenty of those Reds-Dodgers games starting in 1974....... Moskau was always good at giving up runs in bunches. Lopes seemed to hit him very well.

That 1978 bullpen of Borbon..Tomlin...Sarmiento.... as set up/long men (although those terms were not used) were overused and sometimes beyond terrible. I mean 2004-05 bullpen terrible. Ricky Stone bad.

I would almost wonder if '77's was worse. Joe Hoerner all 40 years old and Paul Moskau got called up.

At least in '78 they had a good start. Even won 92 games.

Tony Cloninger
02-02-2006, 03:17 PM
It was bad...........but the SP was actually worse, while the bullpen was not as bad. Bottom line is .... they were in the bottom 3-4 of ERA pool both years, and the offense could not substain the 75-76 to help the team.

You always figured it was an abberation while you were sitting there watching it. Never realizing it was really the end.

westofyou
02-02-2006, 03:39 PM
You always figured it was an abberation while you were sitting there watching it. Never realizing it was really the end.

It was like watching your pet die, totally expected some day yet surprises and saddens the hell out of you.

Tony Cloninger
02-02-2006, 06:34 PM
I think we expected the system to keep bringing up players to replace the old ones. At least 1 guy? Steve Henderson was to be that guy, but he was traded for a better commodity. He never showed much though after 1980.

They had nothing though until the middle 80's.

I guess this has been covered before in the Reds dynasty book.
How they overlooked Mike Schimdt and Bell due to their lack of speed.

M2
02-03-2006, 11:09 AM
I think we expected the system to keep bringing up players to replace the old ones. At least 1 guy? Steve Henderson was to be that guy, but he was traded for a better commodity. He never showed much though after 1980.

They had nothing though until the middle 80's.

I guess this has been covered before in the Reds dynasty book.
How they overlooked Mike Schimdt and Bell due to their lack of speed.

For a 3B, Schmidt had some decent wheels. His season high for SB was 29, he topped 10 SB eight times and stole 174 for his career. If that's what scared the Reds away, then somebody deserves a spanking. My guess is they weren't high on picking from the college ranks.

To be fair to the system, it did produce Driessen, Knight and Oester to replace some of the big cogs from the BRM. Unfortunately there were no new Morgans, Fosters and Geronimos coming in via trade.

RANDY IN INDY
02-03-2006, 12:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions
Cincinnati Reds Designated pitcher Bubba Nelson for assignment; named Mile LaCoss roving minor league pitching instructor.
This makes room for Rick white on the 40 man roster. Hopefully Bubba Nelson clears waivers and we can send him to AAA.
Does anyone know anything about Mile Lacoss?

That Chris Reitsma trade was a real winner.
:rolleyes:

Doc. Scott
02-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Nelson has cleared waivers and been assigned to AAA, apparently.

KronoRed
02-03-2006, 04:13 PM
We still have the Bong jokes

Ravenlord
02-03-2006, 04:15 PM
not sure if there's a place to check this, but i seem to remember in mid-June Nelson had a slightly above 3.00 ERA and a 10+ K/9 rate...and then at the end of the year 4.61 ERA, 9.21 K/9 rate.

Tony Cloninger
02-03-2006, 09:27 PM
M2....you are right....it was more the aversion to college players, than his speed.
I wonder if they would have drafted Fred Lynn if they had the chance.

Well if they still have BN....then on one hand you say good and on the other you say....well something must be wrong with him or else someone would have picked him up.

deltachi8
02-05-2006, 10:52 PM

yes, Reitsma would have made the reds an even better 5th/6th place team.

KearnsyEars
02-09-2006, 12:41 PM
THANK LORD Bubba Nelson is gone!!!!

That kid couldn't have pitched his way out of a wet paper sack! Ugh.

I am just sorry we gave up a quality arm like Reitsma for a sack of seeds like Bubba "long ball" Nelson!

traderumor
02-09-2006, 12:51 PM

I am just sorry we gave up a quality arm like Reitsma for a sack of seeds like Bubba "long ball" Nelson!Doc Scott pointed out he cleared waivers. He's still ours. Maybe he'll either wake up or he was just overhyped.

deltachi8
02-09-2006, 12:54 PM

I am just sorry we gave up a quality arm like Reitsma for a sack of seeds like Bubba "long ball" Nelson!

Care to define your definition of wet paper sack? Have you seen him pitch?

KearnsyEars
02-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Care to define your definition of wet paper sack? Have you seen him pitch?

Ya, he can't pitch, thats my definition. The only one who still thinks he can pitch or will ever climb out of the minors is his daddy. Wait? Bubba Daddy? Is that you? :eek:

KearnsyEars
02-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Doc Scott pointed out he cleared waivers. He's still ours. Maybe he'll either wake up or he was just overhyped.

DOH!:bang:

TRF
02-09-2006, 01:56 PM

5HR in 68 IP last year, and he K'd 70. The kid turned a corner and embraced a new role as Chatt's closer. He isn't without his flaws, but they optioned him to L'ville, not Chatt. I think he can improve and have a major league career in relief.

KearnsyEars
02-09-2006, 01:58 PM
it may be in relief, but it'll be brief.

traderumor
02-09-2006, 02:01 PM
5HR in 68 IP last year, and he K'd 70. The kid turned a corner and embraced a new role as Chatt's closer. He isn't without his flaws, but they optioned him to L'ville, not Chatt. I think he can improve and have a major league career in relief.I also think that in those numbers was a short period of maybe a week or so where the wheels just fell off, but he recovered. It is interesting that he cleared waivers. Worthless stock around the league, but then the majors is littered with guys like that. He could be one, hopefully with the Reds.

deltachi8
02-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Ya, he can't pitch, thats my definition. The only one who still thinks he can pitch or will ever climb out of the minors is his daddy. Wait? Bubba Daddy? Is that you? :eek:

Have you seen him pitch?

Did you see what he did last year in his new role?

Do you know he is at the right level for his age?

Did he steal your girlfired or something?

Look, I know your not alone in your love for Reitsma (which I dont see the adoration for a middle relief pitcher who is average) but can you suport why you hammer on Nelson?

traderumor
02-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Ya, he can't pitch, thats my definition. The only one who still thinks he can pitch or will ever climb out of the minors is his daddy. Wait? Bubba Daddy? Is that you? :eek:I bet you call the banana phone with this type of brilliant commenatry, dontcha?

KearnsyEars
02-09-2006, 04:18 PM
I just don't see him as a guy who'll ever get big league outs for us. Then again who do we have other than Harang that consistently does. :(

TRF
02-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Guys that K a batter for every IP are worth keeping around. Bong was the guy that should have been DFA'd.

Sea Ray
02-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Have you seen him pitch?

Did you see what he did last year in his new role?

Do you know he is at the right level for his age?

Did he steal your girlfired or something?

Look, I know your not alone in your love for Reitsma (which I dont see the adoration for a middle relief pitcher who is average) but can you suport why you hammer on Nelson?

On this staff Reitsma would have been the most effective reliever. Average? I don't know. He's been an effective setup man on a first place team since the trade. If you don't have room for guys like that on your roster then you must have a pitching staff better than the Braves.

KronoRed
02-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Guys that K a batter for every IP are worth keeping around. Bong was the guy that should have been DFA'd.
But he's a leftie, so like Jimmy Anderson we'll hang on to him because being good with your right arm is no match for sucking with your left. ;)

Team Clark
02-09-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm sure Bill Scherer's floating around someplace.

Bill is a phenomenal scout. He has been a cross checker for years. I saw him on the road two years ago. I want to say he was with Boston or Baltimore. I'd have to look him up.

deltachi8
02-10-2006, 11:24 AM
On this staff Reitsma would have been the most effective reliever. Average? I don't know. He's been an effective setup man on a first place team since the trade. If you don't have room for guys like that on your roster then you must have a pitching staff better than the Braves.

But how much better does he make the Reds a couple years ago? What the Reds organization needed (and needs) is starting pitching...young starters. That trade brought in two - one, in Nelson, who was highly thought of.

Because the trade hasnt netted results yet, doesnt make it bad. It was a risk, as all young pitching is. What the Reds did was trade a part that didnt make a huge difference in their situation for two parts that could help them down the road. Additionally, the Reitsma role was imemdiately filled with Todd Jones who did as good a job, if not better.

I had no problem with the deal then, and no problem with it now.