PDA

View Full Version : FeLo avoids arbitration

Red Rover
02-02-2006, 05:06 PM
The Reds and Felipe Lopez have agreed to terms on a $2.7 million contract for this season, avoiding an arbitration hearing that was scheduled for next Wednesday. Lopez had asked for $3 million in his arbitration filing and the Reds had offered $2.15 million.

Getting the All-Star shortstop in the fold leaves only Adam Dunn's case on the docket. His hearing is set for Feb. 17, and there is a $1.85 million gap between the two sides' filing figures. Per Marc's blog.

KronoRed
02-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Nice.

Red Leader
02-02-2006, 05:08 PM
C'mon two year deal (at least).

johngalt
02-02-2006, 05:19 PM
C'mon two year deal (at least).

Lopez's agent is Boras according to Lancaster, so I doubt he'd be willing to give any kind of long-term discount to the Reds if they tried.

Mario-Rijo
02-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Just a side note to the Felipe bit, that I got from let's just say "An Insider"! :thumbup:

Weaver beyond Reds' means
Feb 1 - Reds interim GM Brad Kullman and agent Scott Boras were discussing the contract status of Cincinnati shortstop Felipe Lopez earlier this week when the conversation briefly turned to another Boras client, free-agent pitcher Jeff Weaver.
Although the Reds could have interest in Weaver on a reasonably-priced one-year deal, they've been given indications that Weaver is well beyond their price range. "I don't see it happening at this point," Kullman told ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick.

The Reds have been mentioned as a potential Weaver suitor under the theory that new owner Robert Castellini might want to make a splash with a quick high-profile signing. But Weaver gave up 35 homers for the Dodgers in 2005, and the Reds have their doubts that his repertoire will translate well to the Great American Ball Park.

Weaver's destination remains a mystery to major-league executives. He declined the Dodgers' offer of salary arbitration, which would have allowed him to return to Los Angeles on a one-year deal in 2006.

Yeah it doesn't seem like a good fit but who on this staff is a good fit in this bandbox!

Red Leader
02-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Lopez's agent is Boras according to Lancaster, so I doubt he'd be willing to give any kind of long-term discount to the Reds if they tried.

I meant Dunn for that 2 yr (at least) contract.

vaticanplum
02-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Lopez's agent is Boras according to Lancaster

Man, when does Scott Boras sleep? Or did he eliminate the need for normal human bodily functions when he sold his soul to the devil?

reds44
02-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Very nice!

RFS62
02-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Man, when does Scott Boras sleep? Or did he eliminate the need for normal human bodily functions when he sold his soul to the devil?

I believe that's the deal.

BCubb2003
02-02-2006, 08:17 PM
I believe that's the deal.

With a mutual option in the final year.

Cyclone792
02-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Yeah it doesn't seem like a good fit but who on this staff is a good fit in this bandbox!

Just need a big time groundball pitcher, or (preferably) a pitcher with a tendency to miss bats.

captainmorgan07
02-02-2006, 09:02 PM
good to see felipe signed now on to dunn

Ibleedblue
02-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Man, I wish we could sign some of these arb guys to reasonable deals past one year. I just hate 1 year deals for a team like ours. We aren't gearing up for a playoff season, so why not try and sign up your young talent for the long haul? I know you have to bridge the gap sometimes to get to "Long Term Land", but it just seems like we NEVER get there with our good young talent.

Red Heeler
02-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Man, I wish we could sign some of these arb guys to reasonable deals past one year. I just hate 1 year deals for a team like ours. We aren't gearing up for a playoff season, so why not try and sign up your young talent for the long haul? I know you have to bridge the gap sometimes to get to "Long Term Land", but it just seems like we NEVER get there with our good young talent.

My preference would have been to go cheap this year by trading off guys like Larue, Valentine (both of whom should have solid trade value), Weathers, and Merker (both of whom could have brough back useful parts. I also would not have signed Aurillia nor traded for Womack. Then, use the money saved to front load contracts to Lopez, Dunn, Harang, and maybe Kearns and Pena. Yes, I said FRONT load. By doing so, it might be possible to get them to sign for a bit less overall money. Also, the team is not likely to be good this year. They simply need too many parts. Therefore, why not spend the bulk of your payroll on the few good players on the team. Then, you would have some money left over in the coming years to improve the team.

TeamBoone
02-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Wow! I think you nailed it, RH!