PDA

View Full Version : Felipe Lopez avoids arb..1 year $2.7 million

FlyingPig
02-02-2006, 07:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=An_1K1p9u0rdJ2MUZEkh.Ps5nYcB?slug=ap-reds-lopez&prov=ap&type=lgns

Now get Dunn signed to a LTC.

penantboundreds
02-02-2006, 09:13 PM
now sign lopez to a 3+ year deal.

redsfan30
02-02-2006, 09:46 PM
now sign lopez to a 3+ year deal.
Why? Let him prove he can do it for more than one year before you commit to that kind of deal.

Johnny Footstool
02-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Why? Let him prove he can do it for more than one year before you commit to that kind of deal.

The earlier you sign him, the cheaper he will be. If he "proves it" for another year, he'll be demanding (and getting) $5 million per season next year.

KronoRed
02-02-2006, 10:09 PM
With Boras he's most likely already asking that.

Boss-Hog
02-03-2006, 08:35 AM
This type of thinking is a big reason why Adam Dunn still does not have a long term contract. You have to have the foresight to lock up your players before they price themselves out of your market.

lollipopcurve
02-03-2006, 09:01 AM
This type of thinking is a big reason why Adam Dunn still does not have a long term contract. You have to have the foresight to lock up your players before they price themselves out of your market.

Exactly. If he slumps, and you think 05 was a flash in the pan and want to unload him, there will likely still be suitors out there who will think Felipe can return to 05 form.

This team needs to step up and set a course for the medium term, not just by adding pitching, but by investing in a core of young offensive players (I'd start with Dunn and Felipe, and then consider Kearns or Pena). It's called executing a plan.

Johnny Footstool
02-03-2006, 09:23 AM
It's called executing a plan.

Yep. And locking up players at least through their arbitration years is a good one.

RFS62
02-03-2006, 09:49 AM
If we don't have faith in FeLo and Dunn to lock up, who will we have faith in?

I hope it's just a stopgap until the new GM is in place, to let him negotiate an extension.

Ravenlord
02-03-2006, 09:56 AM
i think if you end up with Kullman, Krivsky, or Mozeliak (sp) as GM, you'll probably see Lopez get a LTC before season end.

Chip R
02-03-2006, 10:17 AM

:aurilia:

TOBTTReds
02-03-2006, 11:11 AM

I think Dunn would be the last one to stay LT actually. He has voiced off about the organization not treating players well. He has mentioned things about playing for houston, if Kearns isn't here LT he doesn't want to be. He already said he wouldn't mind testing free agency.

As for Lopez, I think he would want to stay here LT, but I dont know.

KearnsyEars
02-03-2006, 11:16 AM

I agree, Dunn needs signed ASAP! :beerme:

Chip R
02-03-2006, 11:37 AM
I think Dunn would be the last one to stay LT actually. He has voiced off about the organization not treating players well. He has mentioned things about playing for houston, if Kearns isn't here LT he doesn't want to be. He already said he wouldn't mind testing free agency.

You may be right. However the grass isn't always necessarily greener on the other side of the fence. Look what HOU is going through now with Bagwell. I'm not saying they are a bad organization because of that situation but just that if he chooses to go there, everything may not be peaches and cream. Every organization has its warts.

GoReds
02-03-2006, 03:42 PM
I had a dream last night that the Reds signed Dunn to a three-year deal.

Seriously.

GAC
02-04-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm hoping that the new management, once settled in, will address this. Can't see them doing it though until they have settled the GM position.

TeamBoone
02-04-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't understand why people think he wouldn't sign LT because Austin Kearns hasn't. It's highly unlikely that the two will play together throughout their careers, therefore, I highly doubt this is a credible reason.

cincinnati chili
02-04-2006, 01:33 PM
There are some people on this very same thread who called for a long term deal for D'Angelo Jimenez.

For the record, PECOTA projects Felipe at .265/.337/.427 for this year.

That's very good for a shortstop, but make no mistake, Felipe is no Adam Dunn. His history is erratic, and he's playing a position in which defense is more crucial.

I wouldn't break the bank for this guy. Or Harang. Dunn is another matter.

KronoRed
02-04-2006, 02:49 PM
I'd trade Felo before Dunn, and now might not be such a bad time to do it.

He had a breakout yeah, he's cheap and he plays a position of need.

Trade him for some prospects, at least 1 of whom is a SS/2B and rebuild off that.

Just a thought.

TeamBoone
02-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Felipe is no Adam Dunn. His history is erratic, and he's playing a position in which defense is more crucial.

I wouldn't break the bank for this guy. Or Harang. Dunn is another matter.

Just because his history is erratic is no reason to write him off. Isn't it possible that he's starting to put it all together?

I wouldn't break the bank for him either, but if he has another good year, I'd be thinking about a reasonable 3-yr contract with incentives.

cincinnati chili
02-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Just because his history is erratic is no reason to write him off. Isn't it possible that he's starting to put it all together?

I wouldn't break the bank for him either, but if he has another good year, I'd be thinking about a reasonable 3-yr contract with incentives.

Oh, I agree with not writing him off. I just think there's a good chance... say 30-40% that he'll never ever have another year like last year, at least while playing shortstop. For that reason, let's not go crazy with the contract.

For Dunn... go crazy.

penantboundreds
03-09-2006, 03:36 AM
see jack wilsons contract, please lock felo up long term now

Red Thunder
03-09-2006, 05:49 AM
Good hitting shortstops are currently a rare breed.

How much would you pay for Lopez over a three or four year span?

The Pirates will pay Wilson so much money because he is the best NL defensive shortstop (maybe along with Furcal) and they also bank on an improved offensive production since he had an injury history the last years.

Here are some contracts of other shortstops:

E. Renteria, 29.....4 yrs./$40

R. Furcal, 28.....3 yrs./$39

O. Cabrera, 30.....4 yrs./$32

J. Wilson, 28.....4 yrs./$24.7

C. Guzman, 27.....4 yrs./$16.8

O. Vizquel, 38.....3 yrs./$12.25

D. Eckstein, 30.....3 yrs./$10.25

http://www.post-gazette.com/pirates/statsgeek.asp

KronoRed
03-09-2006, 12:31 PM
I'd expect Felo to wait for another big year then ask the moon, will the Reds pay it? I doubt it.

paulrichjr
03-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Felo is a Scott Boras client... Good luck