PDA

View Full Version : Have a question for Brad Kullman?

GIK
02-02-2006, 10:28 PM
If so, ask it here. :)

Since I know this will be popular, I (along with Boss and the mods) will do our best to pick 10 or so questions to submit to Brad Kullman for his response. He has graciously accepted our invitation to communicate directly with RedsZone through this medium (thanks, Brad! :thumbup:).

Matt/GIK

KittyDuran
02-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Heard him on Lance's show today... Lance was trying to describe the interview - I had a word "refreshing"...:thumbup:

flyer85
02-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Heard him on Lance's show today... Lance was trying to describe the interview - I had a word "refreshing"...:thumbup:rather sad that just being upfront and open is described as refreshing. I really disliked DanO and his spin.

shredda2000
02-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Will there be any effort to acquire another starting pitcher before the 2006 season begins?

Patrick Bateman
02-02-2006, 10:49 PM
What kind of role do you envision Womack playing this season. If the answer is somewhat regularily, then based on all of his career statistics, then how is it going to help the Reds?

flyer85
02-02-2006, 10:58 PM
are the Reds working on signing Dunn to a LT deal before arbitration?

ghettochild
02-02-2006, 11:05 PM
First off Brad, thanks for taking the time to do this. Now for the question. With the Reds doing away with the "Take first pitch strike" in the minors, is this the first step really to reform the Reds farm system already struggling? Also, how do you see us drafting this year, are we going to get another highschool arm or are we going to go college this year? Thanks.

CincyRedsFan30
02-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Adam Dunn was among the league leaders in OPS and every other important offensive category(OBP/Runs Created,etc.) and led the team in terms of those same categories.

You mentioned today that the team was wanting to get even more out of the offense, despite the fact that it led the NL in Runs Scored last year. Making the most of a lineup involves putting the best hitters in the right places.

Thus, does the team plan on having Dunn bat 3rd this year as most team's best hitters do?

Red Heeler
02-02-2006, 11:11 PM
The Reds farm system is poorly stocked at the moment, especially at the higher levels. The trades and drafts of the last few years have largely failed to infuse talent into the system. How would you better evaluate the prospects you are looking to bring in through trade or drafting?

dougflynn23
02-02-2006, 11:41 PM
:) In a completely new role in 2005, Bubba Nelson posted the highest K/IP ratio in the upper levels of the organization (AA to MLB). He was the only pitcher at those levels to average over a strikeout per IP. Take away 2 brutal games, and his ERA was in the low 3.00's. He is only 24 years old. Rick White is 37, and posted one of the lowest K/IP (0.54) ratios in MLB last year, and had a 1.59 WHIP. When you just stated on 1450 HOMER yesterday that the most important stat a pitcher can post is K/IP ratio, and that the organization needs pitchers who have a strikeout pitch, how can you 1) justify the rationale of this decision, and 2) justify a Rick White bumping either a Matt Belisle, Luke Hudson, Brian Shackelford, or Jason Standridge out of the 2006 bullpen?

Mario-Rijo
02-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Since there now is a new ownership in place and the last ownership decided against it. Has any serious thought been given to moving the fences back or doing something structurally to combat the problem of keeping the ball in the ballpark to a lesser degree? Our offense can hit 'em anywhere so shouldn't we try to make the opposition earn their runs in our park?

Kc61
02-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Can you describe, generally, the matters discussed and questions asked at an interview for a major league GM position? How long do such interviews take; who generally attends; how detailed are the discussions? Are specific player moves discussed?

wheels
02-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Given the historical dearth of good third basemen over the history of the franchise, wouldn't it be wise to give the best prospect in years at that position every chance to fail before critical at bats are used by an aging vet with considerably less range and patience at the plate?

What is it about Edwin Encarnacion that made the previous regime so averse to taking the proverbial "leap" with him?

Shaknb8k
02-03-2006, 12:44 AM
Word it how ever you want but wheels question has got to be asked. Other than whose the front runner in GM race which clearly Kullman cant answer and probably doesnt know, this question about Encarnacion is right up there with any other questions we might have about the Reds in 2006. I have a feeling we will get an answer somewhat saying that Narron is in control of that but we need to atleast let Kullman know that we see it as rediculous that Encarnacion wont be at 3B every game until he plays himself out of it or plays himself into the everyday 3rd basemen that I as well as many other think he will be.

Yachtzee
02-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Thanks for taking the time out of your schedule, Mr. Kullman. In the past, the Reds haven't exactly been successful at developing their own pitchers. What can the Reds do to improve their own system so that they can develop more pitching talent at all levels?

harangatang
02-03-2006, 01:06 AM
What is the reasoning behind signing Rick White when already have "veteran leadership" in the bullpen and young arms who are better? Did you get lucky when you traded for Aaron Harang and Brandon Claussen or was it that you knew what you were doing?

TeamBoone
02-03-2006, 01:08 AM
Does the team plan on having Dunn bat 3rd this year as most team's best hitters do?

I like this question, but I think you need to elaborate as to why you think he's the team's best hitter.... load it with the appropriate stats.

CincyRedsFan30
02-03-2006, 01:12 AM
You're right,TB. I changed it to add a bit of context for the question. Nice thinking.

kheidg-
02-03-2006, 01:16 AM
Questions that definitely need to be asked are the one about Encarnacion not starting over an aging veteran. Also I thought the Rick White question was the best one on here.. he doesn't bring all that much to the table besides veteran leadership which they already have in Mercker/Weathers/Hammond. Also, he WAS a Kullman signing afterall, unlike Womack/Aurilia.

BCubb2003
02-03-2006, 02:03 AM
With all the talk of manufacturing runs, do you detect a temptation in the organization to tinker with the already best offense in the league?

Will the organization be able to sign the best available player in the draft or will it go for signability?

Will it be a pitcher or will there be something too tempting at another position?

RedsManRick
02-03-2006, 02:11 AM
1.) The typical convesration regarding potential trade deadline moves centers around the idea of "being in the thick of it" or being "competetive." In light of the Astros and Athletics amazing 2nd halves the last two seasons, and the Reds crashing after a hot start, how do you measure "competetive" when it comes to deciding whether the Reds are sellers or buyers at the break.

Please avoid a response claiming that we're always buying & selling -- trying to improve the team. That much is obvious. But at what point do you know if you're looking to turning this year's expiring assests (Weathers, Aurilia, Merkcer) in to next year's?

2.) A number of defensive metrics have shown that Ken Griffey Jr. is not only no longer among the elite defensive CF's, but that his range has declined to the point where he is actually one of the (if not the) least effective in the game. Surely this problem will only become worse with age. Would you request Junior to move to LF if you felt the Reds had a better defensive option in CF, assuming this person has already justified his place in the lineup? If not this season, is it a legitimate possibility in the future.

3.) The word sabermetrics has been mentioned a few times recently by Reds management in the context of values they'd bring to the table. Do the Reds have staff who specifically are responsible for such analysis? What 3 non-traditional metrics (such as VORP) do you feel are most valuabe in evaluating talent and constructing an effective roster.

4.) Over the past 3 years, in 237 fewer plate appearances, Ryan Freel has reached base 37 more times than Tony Womack, hit 10 more extra base hits, and stole 16 more bases. Do you believe that either Tony Womack's defense, his veteran leadership or Ryan Freel's superior defensive flexibility justify Womack starting at 2B in his stead on a regular or semi-regular basis?

savafan
02-03-2006, 03:25 AM
What were the factors behind the pitching acquisitions before the 2005 baseball season (Milton, Ortiz, Weber, Merker, Weathers). With whom else did Dan O'Brien consult with on making the decisions to add those pitchers to a team that he has publicly acknowledged now wasn't realistically going to win in the near future.

SirFelixCat
02-03-2006, 04:16 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for getting this fellas! Also, I wanted to 2nd dougflynn and wheels questions.

Ron Madden
02-03-2006, 04:41 AM
Let me start by saying Thank You for agreeing to field questions from The Most Informed Reds Fans on the internet.

It seems that the local media are all for the Asst.GM. from the Twins and to be honest most of those opinions scare the hell outta me.

If you were named GM. what steps would you take in order to combine the value of both metrics and ol' school scouts?

chicoruiz
02-03-2006, 08:29 AM
The shortfall of top prospects in the Reds minor league system reflects poorly on both the scouting and the player development areas. My questions relate to player development; How would you as Reds GM improve player instruction in the minors? By what process are minor league instructors evaluated in the organization? Is there a "Reds way" of doing things that's taught throughout the system, and if so does that way need to be re-evaluated?

Red Heeler
02-03-2006, 08:42 AM
At Team Boone's request:

Looking at the Reds roster, there is a solid core of young players, yet too many parts are still needed, especially pitching, for the Reds to compete for a championship this year. There are some hold-over veterans (Larue, Valentine, Mercker, and Weathers) who are not likely to be around by the time the team championship material. In addition, Tony Womack and Rich Aurillia were brought in. Do you think that the Reds would have been better served in the long run to trade the hold-overs (all of whom had value) for younger, less expensive replacements? Doing so would have given you the freedom to sign long term deals with guys like Dunn, Harang, Lopez, Kearns, or Pena. Has any thought been given to front loading contracts for players during down years so that there would be more payroll available in future, brighter years?

flyer85
02-03-2006, 10:00 AM
is consideration being given to allow Matt Belisle to compete for the 5th starter?

Kc61
02-03-2006, 10:02 AM
In light of Ryan Wagner's numbers for the last two seasons, how confident are you that he will start 2006 in the major leagues?

Chip R
02-03-2006, 10:05 AM
2.) A number of defensive metrics have shown that Ken Griffey Jr. is not only no longer among the elite defensive CF's, but that his range has declined to the point where he is actually one of the (if not the) least effective in the game. Surely this problem will only become worse with age. Would you request Junior to move to LF if you felt the Reds had a better defensive option in CF, assuming this person has already justified his place in the lineup? If not this season, is it a legitimate possibility in the future.

I actually asked him this question Saturday night. He basically said that there's a lot of movement a 1st baseman has to do and it's no day at the beach as far as keeping healthy goes. He also said that CF is easier to play and fi you play LF and RF you have to go in the corners and that isn't always good on your body either. Bottom line, they feel that it's most important to have Jr. healthy and they think CF is where he can stay the healthiest. Also they feel what he contributes to the team offensively is greater than what he lets in with his subpar defense.

RFS62
02-03-2006, 10:10 AM
I actually asked him this question Saturday night. He basically said that there's a lot of movement a 1st baseman has to do and it's no day at the beach as far as keeping healthy goes. He also said that CF is easier to play and fi you play LF and RF you have to go in the corners and that isn't always good on your body either. Bottom line, they feel that it's most important to have Jr. healthy and they think CF is where he can stay the healthiest. Also they feel what he contributes to the team offensively is greater than what he lets in with his subpar defense.

Yep. I've been saying this for a while. In centerfield, you can run out at the end of your sprint without a sudden stop, which puts more strain on the hammy. First base has a lot of quick starts and stops and stretches. You come out of your crouch on every play, and make short bursts to first to cover on the crack of the bat.

We give up range, no doubt. But I don't see the corner outfield positions or first base to be places where he'd be less injury prone.

REDREAD
02-03-2006, 10:22 AM
I want to thank Kullman for fielding questions to.

I'd like to ask one question:

In all your years of working in the Reds front office, what is the most important thing you've learned?

Ravenlord
02-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Carlos Guevara has been one of the best pitchers in the Reds’ system the last two years (2.67 ERA, 12.92 K/9, 0.67 HR/9 between Low A and High A), and he’s 23 years old. What is the logic behind the slow promotion of Guevara, especially in light of the accelerated promotion of Ryan Wagner, Josh Hall, Ty Howington, etc.?

Ravenlord
02-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Why was a pitcher with a history of shoulder problems, and at that time, known to have a frayed rotator cuff signed to a multi-year deal? As well, after 350 additional innings on that frayed shoulder, why was Paul Wilson given another multi-year deal with a fairly high amount of investment of guaranteed money? In other words, why was Paul Wilson with his frayed cuff being expected to pitch effectively over a combined 4-year contract?

Puffy
02-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Brad, can I have a job? I am Jim Coombs' biggest fan, so I got that going for me, which is nice. So I think I could help the organization. plus I make great coffee. Please give me a job! Thanks.

westofyou
02-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Well, since the Reds are "hiring" the new GM next week I'd wait until he either gets it or doesn't get it (and stays) before I'd submit the questions, some look as though they could be catagorized too.

It would be nice to try and cover different aspects of the job in the questions. I'd also assume that some of the questions (like lineup construction) could be seen as questions more directed at Narron than Kullman.

Past events

Future events

Scouting/Player Development

On the field queries

Kc61
02-03-2006, 11:53 AM
The drafting of Chris Gruler was a pivotal moment for the Reds since he was their highest draft choice in years. What is his status?

rdiersin
02-03-2006, 12:17 PM
My question would be related to trades and acquisitions. We have seen what appeared to be a more passive approach to trades, and even free agent signings, from the Reds front office in the recent past. Do you take a more active approach, in which the Reds dictate who they think can improve their team and try to make a deal happen, or do you take the more passive stance in which other teams bring offers to you and you take the best offer? Obviously there are probably times and places for both, but generally how do you see yourself?

creek14
02-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Can I be the clubhouse towel girl? :devil:

Okay, so all my questions have already been addressed, I had to go with that one.

BTW, I think that it is very cool of Brad to do this.

traderumor
02-03-2006, 12:34 PM
What are the top three considerations in targeting picks that have driven the drafts in which you have been involved? Do you agree with those?

Red Rover
02-03-2006, 12:42 PM
If for some reason you are not choosen as the new GM, who would you like for the job and possibly work under?

LoganBuck
02-03-2006, 02:08 PM
In recent years many of the Reds top pitching prospects have been stricken by injury. I noticed that Bobby Basham returned to the mound last season. What lays ahead for Bobby and the rest of the rehabbing prospects?

savafan
02-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Why was a pitcher with a history of shoulder problems, and at that time, known to have a frayed rotator cuff signed to a multi-year deal? As well, after 350 additional innings on that frayed shoulder, why was Paul Wilson given another multi-year deal with a fairly high amount of investment of guaranteed money? In other words, why was Paul Wilson with his frayed cuff being expected to pitch effectively over a combined 4-year contract?

I believe that this too is an exceptional question, and could be combined with my above question about the pitching decisions made prior to the 2005 season.

Ron Madden
02-04-2006, 07:17 AM
Hi Brad,

Thanks again for taking time to field questions.

I listend to your interview with Lance. I think it was the best half hour of local radio sports talk I've heard in a long while.

I must question your double take on the issue of strikeouts.

Early on in the interview you said strikeouts are no different than any other out. You spoke on the importance of reaching base and the fact the more baserunners you have the greater chance of scoring runs. I stood and cheered...at last a GM with a brain!

After that you say this offense needs to improve in situational hitting and become more efficient.

IMO the Reds had the most efficient offense in the league in 2005. Why would you tinker with the offense? Isn't it the Pitching that must be improved?

Ravenlord
02-04-2006, 07:43 AM
Hi Brad,

I listend to your interview with Lance. I think it was the best half hour of local radio sports talk I've heard in a long while.

Early on in the interview you said strikeouts are no different than any other out. You spoke on the importance of reaching base and the fact the more baserunners you have the greater chance of scoring runs.
Like an idiot I stood and cheered...at last a GM with a brain!

And then I lost faith in you.

After a few questions about Casey and Randa you cave in.

You fail to stand your ground on your earlier statments and tell us you will challenge Chris Chamblis to make this offence more productive.

Do you have any idea what this club needs in order to win on a regular basis?

Or will you just be happy to get the job? And let the opinions from the broadcast booth, some beat writers, radio talk show callers and casual fans make decissions for you?

It wont work. Never has never will.that's a great question, but i think you need to make it a bit 'nicer' considering the incredible coolness of Kullman to do this...comes off more as insulting than the well thought out question that lies at the heart of it.

Ron Madden
02-04-2006, 07:52 AM
Sorry no harm intended,;)

SteelSD
02-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi Brad,

Early on in the interview you said strikeouts are no different than any other out. You spoke on the importance of reaching base and the fact the more baserunners you have the greater chance of scoring runs.
Like an idiot I stood and cheered...at last a GM with a brain!

And then I lost faith in you.

After a few questions about Casey and Randa you cave in.

You fail to stand your ground on your earlier statments and tell us you will challenge Chris Chamblis to make this offence more productive.

Do you have any idea what this club needs in order to win on a regular basis?

Or will you just be happy to get the job? And let the opinions from the broadcast booth, some beat writers, radio talk show callers and casual fans make decissions for you?

It wont work. Never has never will.

RM, definitely good questions if phrased the right way and I had the same raised eyebrow you did when I heard reports of Kullman on the LM show. Might I suggest...

Translation:

"Mr. Kullman,"

Previously, you've spoken about wanting the Reds to move in a direction more conducive to the proper integration and application of sabermetrics. However, recently while speaking with Lance McCallister, you spoke about things like 'situational' hitting, bringing up Adam Dunn's Strikeout numbers as a negative in his arbitration hearing, and asking Mr. Chambliss to make the offense more 'efficient'.

First, could you please clarify what you mean by 'situational hitting' and 'more efficient offense'?

Secondly, if Strikeouts don't really matter, why would it be something you'd use as a negative in order to attempt to hold down player salaries?"

buckeyenut
02-04-2006, 11:20 AM
RM, definitely good questions if phrased the right way and I had the same raised eyebrow you did when I heard reports of Kullman on the LM show. Might I suggest...

Translation:

"Mr. Kullman,"

Previously, you've spoken about wanting the Reds to move in a direction more conducive to the proper integration and application of sabermetrics. However, recently while speaking with Lance McCallister, you spoke about things like 'situational' hitting, bringing up Adam Dunn's Strikeout numbers as a negative in his arbitration hearing, and asking Mr. Chambliss to make the offense more 'efficient'.

First, could you please clarify what you mean by 'situational hitting' and 'more efficient offense'?

Secondly, if Strikeouts don't really matter, why would it be something you'd use as a negative in order to attempt to hold down player salaries?"
Interestingly enough, I was right with Kullman on what he said during the interview regarding this. On the strikeouts thing, what he said was that they would bring that to arbitration as a negative of Dunn because in the process, you bring up every single negative regardless. He said they would bring up the strikeouts despite the fact that they have numbers that point to the strikeouts not being an issue at all. I read between the lines to say that the arbitrators would not necessarily understand enough about baseball to not know that strikeouts are low impact.

He also said that we had the best offense in the league, but that even the offense could and had to get better. To me, it was clear that he didn't mind the strikeouts, but did see the high number of strikeouts as an indicator of a lack of adjustments at the plate. I think this is the combination of big picture/small picture that a GM HAS TO understand and balance on a day to day basis. I don't think this was to suggest that you should have Adam Dunn bunt to move a runner over. I think it was to suggest that a batter has to be better at recognizing the situation and adjusting to what the pitcher might be doing. If you can do that while maintaining proper discipline at the plate and the proper approach appropriate for you, you can get better.

buckeyenut
02-04-2006, 11:28 AM
What kind of role do you envision Womack playing this season. If the answer is somewhat regularily, then based on all of his career statistics, then how is it going to help the Reds?

I believe he addressed this on Lance's show. Any way we could get a transcript of that interview on here and make sure that the questions stay away from the topics he has already discussed?

BTW, the answer I believe was #1) Womack was acquired prior to the resigning of Aurillia. I read between the lines to think that Womack would not have been brought in if Aurillia was already signed. #2) While he completely understands the sabr view and the numbers that Womack has put up in the past and understands the angst, Womack does bring some things to the table that were missing from this team. He brings an element of speed, versatility (I think he said this one) and experience on winning teams. This Reds team is relatively young and there are not a lot of guys who have been on consistently winning teams. Womack, with his time in NYY and STL, can provide some clubhouse influence on how to act like a winning team and organization, something that few guys on this team could really provide. #3) The cost of Womack was low enough that they could live with his downsides for the benefits he provided.

It really sounded like Womack would not get much playing time on his watch, but would serve as the 24th or 25th guy on the roster. But he also probably wasn't at risk of being cut or anything like that. And I can live with his position if I am reading it right.

SteelSD
02-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Interestingly enough, I was right with Kullman on what he said during the interview regarding this. On the strikeouts thing, what he said was that they would bring that to arbitration as a negative of Dunn because in the process, you bring up every single negative regardless. He said they would bring up the strikeouts despite the fact that they have numbers that point to the strikeouts not being an issue at all. I read between the lines to say that the arbitrators would not necessarily understand enough about baseball to not know that strikeouts are low impact.

And I'd just like his clarification on that point, because when I heard that he's going to bring them up anyway he lost a good deal of support for me. Why? Because the player is going to know that the Reds brought something up and tried to frame it as a negative just to try to keep some dollars out of a player's pocket.

That's a good way to get players to want to walk away from you.

He also said that we had the best offense in the league, but that even the offense could and had to get better. To me, it was clear that he didn't mind the strikeouts, but did see the high number of strikeouts as an indicator of a lack of adjustments at the plate. I think this is the combination of big picture/small picture that a GM HAS TO understand and balance on a day to day basis. I don't think this was to suggest that you should have Adam Dunn bunt to move a runner over. I think it was to suggest that a batter has to be better at recognizing the situation and adjusting to what the pitcher might be doing. If you can do that while maintaining proper discipline at the plate and the proper approach appropriate for you, you can get better.

And, again, I just want Kullman's clarification as to his exact meaning.

The reason I'm more on the fence with Kullman is that I've seen things from him that make me think he understands the basics of sabermetrics and statistical analysis but then he'll say something else that really doesn't mesh. My fear (like RM) isn't that Kullman won't be a GM who understands and applies statistical analysis. My fear is that he'll do a half-arsed job of it. In short, I'm worried that he only "kinda-sorta" understands.

paulrichjr
02-04-2006, 01:26 PM
You have worked with two GMs that could be called the most polar opposite people in baseball. I understand that no one wants to say anything bad about a former GM so sticking to the postives, what would you say impressed you the most about Jim Bowden and Dan O'Brien. If you get the job what positives of each would you implement?

buckeyenut
02-04-2006, 02:40 PM
And I'd just like his clarification on that point, because when I heard that he's going to bring them up anyway he lost a good deal of support for me. Why? Because the player is going to know that the Reds brought something up and tried to frame it as a negative just to try to keep some dollars out of a player's pocket.

That's a good way to get players to want to walk away from you.

And, again, I just want Kullman's clarification as to his exact meaning.

The reason I'm more on the fence with Kullman is that I've seen things from him that make me think he understands the basics of sabermetrics and statistical analysis but then he'll say something else that really doesn't mesh. My fear (like RM) isn't that Kullman won't be a GM who understands and applies statistical analysis. My fear is that he'll do a half-arsed job of it. In short, I'm worried that he only "kinda-sorta" understands.

You make excellent points. On the first one, I think he views it as the process. You go to arb to win so you bring up every bad point about the opposition possible. You don't go to arb and play nice. You play nice when you are getting a deal done ahead of arb. But I see your point. On the second one, I don't think clarification could hurt.

Redsland
02-04-2006, 04:39 PM
I read between the lines to think that Womack would not have been brought in if Aurillia was already signed.
That's my thinking, too.

Womack is to Aurilia as Bichette is to Griffey.

BCubb2003
02-04-2006, 04:39 PM
The Reds scored 820 runs last year, most in the league. Since 2000, only one National League champion has scored more. Wouldn't it be easier to upgrade the pitching to average than to top off an already excellent offense to something off the charts?

Are conversations going on in the organization that these are somehow not the right kind of runs? That the Reds would have won more games if they'd scored 820 "efficient" runs?

TeamBoone
02-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Ooooh, I like yours, BCubb.

M2
02-04-2006, 06:22 PM
1. Assuming you can keep the offense as an 800-run unit, you need shave roughly 150 runs off of what the team allowed last season in order to field a serious competitor (though it would be more like 200 if you wanted to boast that you have a club that pitches well). What sort of measures are needed to get there? Given the relative dearth of advanced pitching prospects in the organization, how long do you think it will take? And how much of the offense can be preserved in the pursuit of a pitching fix?

2. A lot of us watched in horror as Rich Aurilia was handed the SS job in spring training last year over Felipe Lopez (before the team even started its Grapefruit League schedule and despite the fact that Felipe then outplayed him in March). Please say the same basic thing isn't in the works for Aurilia and Edwin Encarnacion this season. Encarnacion's hit at every step on the way to the majors and acquitted himself fairly well as a 22-year-old after his callup last season. Jerry Narron seems to want to play the veteran. How committed is this organization to playing Encarnacion as the team's primary 3B in 2006?

Superdude
02-05-2006, 01:37 AM
Jerry Narron seems to want to play the veteran. How committed is this organization to playing Encarnacion as the team's primary 3B in 2006?

I'm not sure, but I do know that our organization is quite simply made up of the biggest Rich Aurilia fans in the world! :thumbdown

savafan
02-05-2006, 01:49 AM
I'm not sure, but I do know that our organization is quite simply made up of the biggest Rich Aurilia fans in the world! :thumbdown

He has to have compromising photos of someboday, that's all there is to it. Especially after the comment by Kullman that Womack was brought in before Aurilia was re-signed, and had Aurilia been re-signed, they wouldn't have traded for Womack. Well, that's all well and good, so why did Dan O'Brien feel the need to bring back Aurilia after trading for Womack?

ochre
02-05-2006, 02:12 PM
A simple one liner:

"would you please elucidate how the organization views Calvin Medlock"?

Betterread
02-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Your interaction and your candor are appreciated, Brad Kullman.

I have a question regarding the development of pitching in the minor leagues:

With the clear ML need for pitchers with above-average stuff and location, what is the organization specifically doing to identify and instruct young pitchers with the physical and mental potential to eventually become ML pitchers with the afore-mentioned qualities? (i.e. is there an emphasis on drafting and developing young men with certain physical abilities - big guys with a live fastball to begin with or guys with special coordination and flexibility to develop a deceptive delivery OR is there an emphasis on drafting and developing guys with a certain aptitude toward the game that helps them make adjustments to the opposition)

membengal
02-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Geez, these three questions are first rate:

From Reds Man Rick:

1. "Over the past 3 years, in 237 fewer plate appearances, Ryan Freel has reached base 37 more times than Tony Womack, hit 10 more extra base hits, and stole 16 more bases. Do you believe that either Tony Womack's defense, his veteran leadership or Ryan Freel's superior defensive flexibility justify Womack starting at 2B in his stead on a regular or semi-regular basis?

From M2:

A lot of us watched in horror as Rich Aurilia was handed the SS job in spring training last year over Felipe Lopez (before the team even started its Grapefruit League schedule and despite the fact that Felipe then outplayed him in March). Please say the same basic thing isn't in the works for Aurilia and Edwin Encarnacion this season. Encarnacion's hit at every step on the way to the majors and acquitted himself fairly well as a 22-year-old after his callup last season. Jerry Narron seems to want to play the veteran. How committed is this organization to playing Encarnacion as the team's primary 3B in 2006?

From BCubb:

The Reds scored 820 runs last year, most in the league. Since 2000, only one National League champion has scored more. Wouldn't it be easier to upgrade the pitching to average than to top off an already excellent offense to something off the charts? Are conversations going on in the organization that these are somehow not the right kind of runs? That the Reds would have won more games if they'd scored 820 "efficient" runs?

Good answers to those questions from Kullman would go a long way toward assuaging the worry that many of us natually feel as Reds fans about the direction of this club, even after OB's departure.

It is very cool that Kullman has agreed to this, though. That's one for him.

M2
02-05-2006, 05:13 PM
3. When you envision the core of the 2009 Cincinnati Reds (eight position players, four starters, top three relievers) where are they playing right now? In the Reds' organization? Outside it? In the majors? In the minors? If the minors, at what levels?

Shaggy Sanchez
02-06-2006, 01:36 AM
When J. Narron was on sports of all sorts a caller asked what his starting 8 would look like as of right now. He said that Womack would be leading off and playing 2B because he liked having his speed at the top of the order. In so many words he said that the job was Womack's because he liked Freel better as a super sub. I think that Freel can be a better super sub as well but even if he plays every day his OBP and SBs should both still be higher than Womack. As a GM who is into Sabermetrics how can you feel good about putting together a team that hits Womack in the leadoff spot?

For anyone interested his starting 8 was:
1. Womack 2b
2. Lopez SS
3. Griffey CF
4. Dunn 1B
5. Kearns RF
6. Pena Lf
7. LaRue C
8. Edwin 3B
He also said that 4-6 would rotate depending on the pitcher and how they decided to split the lefties that day. I assume then that Dunn will bat 4th, 5th, and 6th once again this season.

wheels
02-06-2006, 01:51 AM
Is there any way a GM can tactfully stress the importance of On Base Percentage guys at the top of the lineup?

Would you be someone that was willing to do that?

Caveat Emperor
02-06-2006, 03:20 AM
1. With the statements made by new owner Robert Castellini that he wants the club to win sooner, rather than later, and given the relative dearth of projectable talent in the organization's high minor leagues, will we be seeing a more aggressive approach to promotion for players currently at the lower level of the minor leagues? If so, what steps will be taken to prevent the kinds of major arm injuries that have derailed past Reds pitching prospects?

2. The Reds have, arguably, missed the boat with several players (notably: Paul Wilson, Danny Graves, Sean Casey and D'Angelo Jimenez) over the previous years by not trading them when they had reached their peak value. In the vast majority of these instances, the Reds were left holding the bill for a salary and getting very little or sometimes nothing in return. What is your philosophy surrounding player trading, getting maximum return out of players and the age old adage that it's better to trade a player a year early than a year late? Additionally, what factors do you use in determining whether or not a player has reached his peak value for obtaining a return?

GIK
02-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks for your questions, everyone. We will be sending over a few in the next couple of days. Watch for a response!