PDA

View Full Version : Tom Browning interview

Redsfaithful
02-03-2006, 03:22 AM
Tom Browning is releasing a book entitled Tom Browning's Tales from the Reds Dugout the first week of March, and I was fortunate enough to do an interview with his writer Dann Stupp, and also an interview with Browning. Here's the link to the Stupp interview:

http://www.redreporter.com/story/2006/2/2/112731/5560

And the Browning interview:

http://www.redreporter.com/story/2006/2/3/21329/76687

Hope you guys find it interesting, getting to ask Browning a few questions was definitely the coolest thing that's happened to me as a result of Red Reporter to date.

Jaycint
02-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks RF, good stuff.

Cedric
02-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Awesome interviews. Sounds like some great stories from the 80's. Gotta buy that one.

ochre
02-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Will Charlie Sheen have his own chapter?

remdog
02-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Great job RF.

I would love it if Browning could instill a habit of working quickly with today's pitchers.

Rem

Johnny Footstool
02-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Tom seems like a nice guy, but I have to ask: is it wise to allow your young pitchers to be coached by a guy who broke his arm throwing a pitch?

Chip R
02-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Tom seems like a nice guy, but I have to ask: is it wise to allow your young pitchers to be coached by a guy who broke his arm throwing a pitch?

What does breaking your arm while pitching have anything to do with being able to be a good coach? :confused:

RFS62
02-03-2006, 01:39 PM

Hook him up with Milton, asap.

gm
02-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Hook him up with Milton, asap.

That's cold.

Why not bring in John Smiley and Dave Dravechy?:evil:

Redsland
02-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Nice work, RF!

:beerme:

Yachtzee
02-03-2006, 03:09 PM
I enjoyed your interviews, RF.

Team Clark
02-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Even though Tom makes it sound like everyone likes him I'll still buy the book. I thought it was funny how he talks baout letting that pitcher go in Forence. The first season he personally did not let any players go (I know this because I had to do it) and the second season he made Chris hook do it. LOL! Good 'ol Tom full of BS.

RedsBaron
02-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks RF. I envy your opportunity to interview Browning. I'll have to buy a copy of the book.

KronoRed
02-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks as always RF :)

Johnny Footstool
02-03-2006, 05:26 PM
What does breaking your arm while pitching have anything to do with being able to be a good coach?

I don't think I would want a guy like that teaching pitching mechanics to youngsters. It seems to me that if he had sound pitching mechanics, his arm never would have broken like it did.

But more importantly, it was an easy joke, so I jumped on it. :)

Team Clark
02-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Don't worry Johnny. You know I laughed. I really laughed in camp when he told a pitcher of ours to start throwing "ACROSS" his body. After two bullpen sessions and a solid case of tendinitis we had a rough time getting this particular pitcher on track the rest of the year. Tom's explanation, and I DO QUOTE "Never bothered me". Tom's remedy for tendinitis was to RUN more to get the "poison" out. I swear this is true.

Johnny Footstool
02-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Tom's remedy for tendinitis was to RUN more to get the "poison" out. I swear this is true.

Good Lord.

Did he also recommend leeches? Elixir to balance the body's humours?

Redsland
02-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Does Kullman like his braintype?

ochre
02-04-2006, 05:35 PM
I think he's still waiting on the results of his phrenology exam.

Team Clark
02-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Good Lord.

Did he also recommend leeches? Elixir to balance the body's humours?

I could go ON and ON. Like the time he ran our closer out 3 games in a row and 4 out of the last 5 games (None in tight games) and asked him before the game if he could go. Pitcher says "no, my arm is a little stiff I think I need some rest" OK. No problem. Who could blame him?

SO, wouldn't you know game is close, late innings 1 run game Tom gets our "closer" up. Everybody in the pen EXCEPT the closer is fresh. 1 runner ON BASE. Nobody out. "Closer" is a little bewildered that he is up but does his best to get loose. Starting pitcher struggles through an out. He's gassed and we know it. Here comes Tom to the mound and he calls for the "closer". Closer jogs in and Tom hands him the ball. Tom tells him to intentionally walk the next two batters. You should have seen the look on this poor kid's face. While the closer was walking to the mound Tom sends another reliver to get ready. Closer walks both batters as ordered and Tom comes to get him. Closer is furious now and flips Tom the Ball. Tom jaws at him and brings in the next reliever who gives up 4 if not 5 runs. 2 of which go on our best pitchers ERA. He lost complete respect of the pitching staff after this episode. Closer later wanted to know why Tom brought him in and Tom's reply was " I didn't want to waste another pitcher and I knew you could make it through eight pitches". So I am sitting there thinking to myself "I am sitting next to the dumbest person alive". Not only was the kid's arm sore from pitching too much to begin with, now it's WORSE because Tom hasn't figured in the fact that he threw 25-30 warm up pitches preparing to go into a game to get somebody OUT. WOW! I'll never forget this episode of genius as long as I live.

I have already told the story of him getting into a physical altercation with one of his pitchers during a game in Richmond. What an absolute jerk. Or all the times he wouldn't answer the door to his hotel room because he was too drunk or too high. Like his former teammates have repeatedly told me "worst thing that ever happened to Tom Browning was that perfect game". No kidding.