PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Starter?

penantboundreds
02-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Simple question: Is it Harang? Does it depend on ST?

Chip R
02-03-2006, 12:14 PM
If he doesn't get hurt then it's probably going to be Harang since Narron was telling Marty at one of the caravan stops that he was thinking about bringing Aaron back on Friday.

penantboundreds
02-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Ok, thanks Chip, I am in Dayton and for some reason can not get the radio in my dorm room...I miss all the info shared on the talk shows.

pedro
02-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Harang is definately the #1 starter on the Reds. He should get the nod on opening day.

Chip R
02-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Harang is definately the #1 starter on the Reds. He should get the nod on opening day.

Actually, he shouldn't if you believe my "Opening Day Starter Jinx" theory.

pedro
02-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Actually, he shouldn't if you believe my "Opening Day Starter Jinx" theory.

please elucidate. :)

Chip R
02-03-2006, 03:29 PM
please elucidate. :)

Look at the last several Opening Day starters we've had. Bad things happened to them. Some were injured, some were cut, some had bad years. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.

PuffyPig
02-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Look at the last several Opening Day starters we've had. Bad things happened to them. Some were injured, some were cut, some had bad years. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.

It's probably more of an inditement as to how bad our preceived #1 starter was than anything else. Bad things happen to bad starters.

I really believe that Harang can will 18+ games for us this year. But he'll have to get better run support than last year.

Marc D
02-03-2006, 04:35 PM
By coincidence here is a link (http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22179) to a post on this very same subject from another board. Warining R rated language used.

Matt700wlw
02-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Maybe our opening day starter isn't on the team yet... :D

KronoRed
02-03-2006, 05:14 PM
I think it's Milton..along with Womack and Aurilia

;)

FrenchD1
02-03-2006, 06:12 PM
i say it's gotta be harang unless somebody has a HUGE spring training.

Johnny Footstool
02-03-2006, 06:23 PM

PuffyPig said it: bad things happen to bad starters.

Who was the last real quality starter to pitch for the Reds on opening day? Pete Harnisch? Denny Neagle? Jose Rijo? Mario Soto?

RedRoser
02-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Well, since we traded our opening day starter, Dave Burba, for Sean Casey et al, and then traded Casey for Williams, doesn't it stand to reason in Reds World that the opening day starter be Williams? :thumbup:

Chip R
02-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Well, since we traded our opening day starter, Dave Burba, for Sean Casey et al, and then traded Casey for Williams, doesn't it stand to reason in Reds World that the opening day starter be Williams? :thumbup:

:lol:

max venable
02-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Harang as OD starter is not a given. When nobody on your staff is an ace, then it's wide open. I don't think you can just pencil Harang in. It'll be whoever's hot coming out of ST...could be Harang, could be anybody else.

Also it depends on how JN wants to set up the rotation. But I don't think anyone can assume it's going to start with Harang.

Also, I don't think the Reds are done making moves to try to bolster the starting rotation. Any move they make between now and OD will also be a factor.

jmcclain19
02-06-2006, 04:26 AM
I cast my vote for Milton.

Look at the recent list of the last five Reds opening day starters

05 - Wilson
04 - Lidle
03 - Haynes
02 - Hamilton
01 - Harnisch

By the next season at a minimum, each one was no longer on the team.

I've got Pick 'em odds that Wilson will be in the same boat by June, completing the circle.

Let's put Milton on the fast track out of town and keep this streak alive.

KronoRed
02-06-2006, 11:13 AM
When Dan O was here I was sure it would be Milton because he's we paid him to be our "ace" :explode:

Now..I'm not sure..I still have a funny feeling Milton will have a good spring, get the start and get rocked for 10 runs in 2 innings.

Slider
02-06-2006, 11:35 AM

Uncle Miltie !

:evil:

M2
02-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Harang as OD starter is not a given. When nobody on your staff is an ace, then it's wide open. I don't think you can just pencil Harang in. It'll be whoever's hot coming out of ST...could be Harang, could be anybody else.

Also it depends on how JN wants to set up the rotation. But I don't think anyone can assume it's going to start with Harang.

Also, I don't think the Reds are done making moves to try to bolster the starting rotation. Any move they make between now and OD will also be a factor.

Harang was the first Reds pitcher in seven seasons to pitch 200+ IP with a sub-4.00 ERA. The Reds aren't going to trade for anyone better than that between now and opening day.

Forget about pencilling in Harang as the OD starter, you chisel it in with a jackhammer.

RedsManRick
02-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Harang isn't a sure thing until you look at the other options...

Claussen? Younger and hasn't performed as well...
Milton? ERA above 6 as your OD starter...
Wilson? Will he even be healthy enough to start
Williams? Do I have to explain

Certainly Harang shouldn't be an opening day starter, generally speaking. But in the context of the Reds, there is no other reasonable choice.

Phil in BG
02-06-2006, 08:36 PM
It'll be Harang unless he's hurt or a trade is made for someone better.

StillFunkyB
02-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Maybe the new ownership nixed that jinx Chip! ;)

I don't see how it can't be Harang.

max venable
02-07-2006, 09:00 PM
All I'm sayin' is that while Harang is the most likely, it's not a done deal. What if he has a crappy spring?

I just think that JN will give the ball to the guy who has the most impressive ST. It might be Harang, it might not.

We'll have to revisit this thread when the OD starter is announced.