PDA

View Full Version : Reds interviewed Wilder

flyer85
02-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Reds interview White Sox exec for GM post

By Marc Lancaster
Post staff reporter

The Reds have publicly acknowledged eight candidates for their general manager opening, but at least one person not on that list has interviewed for the job.

David Wilder, director of player development for the World Series champion Chicago White Sox, confirmed this morning that he was in Cincinnati earlier this week for an interview. Wilder declined to comment any further.

Wilder, who has been in his current position for the last two seasons, oversees Chicago's minor league and Latin American operations.

Before joining the White Sox, he spent 2000-03 with the Milwaukee Brewers, first as vice president of player personnel and later as a special assignment scout. In 2000, he was a member of the USA Baseball selection committee which put together the team that won the gold medal at the Sydney Olympics.

Before his time in Milwaukee, Wilder served as the Chicago Cubs' farm director for three seasons (1996-98) and assistant general manager for one year (1999). He also worked in various capacities, mostly in scouting, for the Atlanta Braves from 1991-95.

Wilder interviewed last fall for the Boston Red Sox general manager job that eventually went back to Theo Epstein. Wilder also interviewed for the Reds' GM job the last time it was open, following the 2003 season.

Wilder also interviewed for the Reds' GM job the last time it was
open, following the 2003 season.

The eight acknowledged candidates for the Reds' vacancy are Reds director of international scouting and player development Johnny Almaraz, Philadelphia Phillies assistant GM Mike Arbuckle, Reds special adviser Jim Beattie, Minnesota Twins assistant GM Wayne Krivsky, Reds director of major league operations Brad Kullman, Reds special assistant to the GM Leland Maddox, St. Louis Cardinals assistant GM John Mozeliak and Atlanta Braves assistant GM Frank Wren.

Reds chief executive Bob Castellini has said he would like to have a general manager in place by the end of next week.

M2
02-03-2006, 01:49 PM
But have they interviewed Van Wilder?

http://www.nationallampoon.com/store/images/van_wilder_tee.jpg

Chip R
02-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Or Gene Wilder.

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/images/celebs/wildeg.jpg

MartyFan
02-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Is Billy Wilder still alive?
http://www.filmforum.org/comedyfilms/images/wilder.jpg

Guess not...

Danny Serafini
02-03-2006, 02:31 PM
I was always a big James Wilder fan.

http://media.tbo.com/photos/bucs/top25/bucs25wilder.jpg

Chip R
02-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Thorton Wilder could make Cincinnati "Our Town"

http://www.odysseetheater.com/wilder/bilder/thornton_wilder.jpg

Roy Tucker
02-03-2006, 03:03 PM
You never know what path a thread will take. This one is a good example.

Chip R
02-03-2006, 03:10 PM
You never know what path a thread will take. This one is a good example.

Sort of a wilder path, wouldn't you say? ;)

flyer85
02-03-2006, 03:28 PM
I guess as long as it isn't Honey Wilder.

Doc. Scott
02-03-2006, 04:04 PM
You know, I hate to head down this path, but Wilder is African-American. Since the Reds were under an obligation to interview a minority and Leland Maddox had to delay his interview because he had the flu, it's very possible that Castellini already knows who he wants and he's just doing due diligence.

No, I don't necessarily want to start a big discussion about this sort of thing, but it's one scenario to explain the way Wilder's candidacy wasn't really publicized.

KronoRed
02-03-2006, 04:14 PM
I guess as long as it isn't Honey Wilder.
What's wrong with that? :D

flyer85
02-03-2006, 04:21 PM
What's wrong with that? :Dcould distract from business at hand.:help:

Jaycint
02-03-2006, 06:08 PM
could distract from business at hand.:help:

If Honey would like an interview she can come over my place and I can give it to her. I know Mr. Castellini is a busy man, any way that I can help....

MartyFan
02-04-2006, 12:33 AM
You know, I hate to head down this path, but Wilder is African-American. Since the Reds were under an obligation to interview a minority and Leland Maddox had to delay his interview because he had the flu, it's very possible that Castellini already knows who he wants and he's just doing due diligence.

No, I don't necessarily want to start a big discussion about this sort of thing, but it's one scenario to explain the way Wilder's candidacy wasn't really publicized.

I for one would love for the Reds to be progressive enough to be part of the solution and not part of the problem...but only if the person IS the best candidate.

I like Wilder...I think he would be a very good GM based on his experiences...he is my first choice...then Krivsky...then pretty much all the rest.

Heath
02-04-2006, 04:09 AM
I was always a big James Wilder fan.

http://media.tbo.com/photos/bucs/top25/bucs25wilder.jpg

Wasn't thinking of James Wilder the football player. For some odd reason, I thought you meant James Wilder, the actor. :dunno:

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/bruce_almighty/james_wilder/brucepre.jpg

cincinnati chili
02-04-2006, 07:12 AM

You can't NOT bring this up. It's always going to be the suspicion, due to our society's racial context. However, considering the Reds are going to interview Maddox, and made a good faith effort to interview Mike Hill, I suspect that the Reds are truly looking for the candidate they think will be best for the team, rather than just interviewing people for show.

Krusty
02-04-2006, 08:55 AM

So Doc, who do you think it is?

Doc. Scott
02-04-2006, 03:30 PM
You can't NOT bring this up. It's always going to be the suspicion, due to our society's racial context. However, considering the Reds are going to interview Maddox, and made a good faith effort to interview Mike Hill, I suspect that the Reds are truly looking for the candidate they think will be best for the team, rather than just interviewing people for show.

I hope so and I hope Maddox's interview still happens.

Krusty, if you ask me, it's either Frank Wren or John Mozeliak. Of course, those are the two that I'm also sort of pulling for (new blood), but I do think it will be one of them.

jmcclain19
02-06-2006, 03:12 AM
The Reds.com Story

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060203&content_id=1306162&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Nothing new or earth shattering in that story.

I don't think has been brought up yet or not, but Wilder was Dean Taylor's right hand man in Milwaukee while Taylor was the GM.

Also, Wilder was the Farm Director for the Cubs in the late 90's which oversaw the likes of Kerry Wood get throttled thru the system in just a few short years.

I'm sure there is much more to his resume than that, but at first glance, I'm not a big fan of what I see.

Caveat Emperor
02-06-2006, 03:25 AM

I don't question that the Reds are making a good faith effort to find the best fit for their team, but it raises a large question in my mind about the effectiveness of programs designed to encourage minority involvement in professional sports. The current system of minority interviewing requirements used by the NFL and MLB is silly at best and downright offensive to minority groups at worst. How demeaning do you think it is to a guy like Mike Singletary in the NFL to look at the list of names interviewed for a job and realize he's the "Rooney Rule" candidate, there just to allow a team to check a box off prior to making a hire?

There's been progress in recent years with getting more minorities involved in sports coaching and management, but the fact of the matter is that the majority of the people who are doing the hiring in these situations are white male owners and white male general managers. In order for sports to take "the next step" on the path to diversity and gender equality (don't forget, as bad as professional sports are with the non-inclusion of minorities in the front office, they're 100 times worse with the inclusion of women in the front office) there will have to be more diverse faces in the rooms that make the decisions as opposed to chairs that the candidates are sitting in.