PDA

View Full Version : "I was blocked into him

max venable
02-04-2006, 05:17 PM
I had to fall on his knee, ram my shoulder into it, and wrap it up to break my fall.
http://www.elporvenir.com.mx/upload/nota/palmer_0.JPG

And yes, it IS sour grapes DANGIT! The Bengals should be in the SuperBowl :bang:

RedsIn07
02-04-2006, 06:33 PM
There was already a multi-page disussion on this in the Palmer extension thread.

TeamBoone
02-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Yeah, but it still hurts.

KronoRed
02-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Might be hard to find, it broke out in the Palmer extension thread

Ahh here it is.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42016

max venable
02-04-2006, 06:54 PM
There was already a multi-page disussion on this in the Palmer extension thread.
Right...wasn't really looking to revisit the whole thing. It's just that the SuperBowl is tomorrow and I still grumpy about the whole thing.

KittyDuran
02-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Yeah, but it still hurts.Especially since Krusty started a "Rah, Rah, Let's Go Steelers" thread...:bang: ;)

max venable
02-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Especially since Krusty started a "Rah, Rah, Let's Go Steelers" thread...:bang: ;)
Yes! It just stirred up negative thoughts in me.

I HATE THE STEELERS! (But not as much as I hate Michigan) ;)

Krusty
02-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Let it go man. As the picture shows, Palmer was still standing in the pocket which makes him fair game.

alex trevino
02-04-2006, 10:33 PM
win or lose the steelers are a dirty team. Go Seahawks!

max venable
02-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Let it go man. As the picture shows, Palmer was still standing in the pocket which makes him fair game.
:bang:

Hap
02-04-2006, 11:21 PM

So hit him in the waist.................

:bang:

deltachi8
02-04-2006, 11:27 PM
yawwwwwwwn...you guys still talking about this?

dont you know about the second tackler in the grassy knoll?

look at his knee...back and to the left...back an dto the left...

alex trevino
02-04-2006, 11:32 PM
yawwwwwwwn...you guys still talking about this?

dont you know about the second tackler in the grassy knoll?

look at his knee...back and to the left...back an dto the left...

You are right instead let's discuss Jerome Bettis playing his final game in detriot...It's his hometown you know?

redsfan30
02-04-2006, 11:51 PM
It's his hometown you know?
Really?

That's an interesting fact...I wish the media would cover it.

:rolleyes:

GAC
02-05-2006, 04:08 AM
Bettis is from Detroit??

creek14
02-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Bettis is from Detroit??
Gosh I wonder if his parents have ever missed any of his games? :dunno: :bang:

max venable
02-05-2006, 08:56 AM

yes, I'm still stewing. Ya know Krusty, I'm guessing it's A LOT easier to make a statement like that when it's the other team's guy that suffered the career-threatening injury and your team is in the Super Bowl.

The LAST THING Bengals fans need is some Steelers fan making comments like that. Can you just let us gripe among ourselves? Please? :)

Thank you.

MartyFan
02-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Gosh I wonder if his parents have ever missed any of his games? :dunno: :bang:

Does he have a nickname? Maybe we can come up with one?:doh:

RFS62
02-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Does he have a nickname? Maybe we can come up with one?:doh:

Maybe something involving transportation?

Let's see.... the scooter, the moped.....

I got nothin'

ochre
02-05-2006, 09:05 AM
ahh. Kimo Fett. The bounty hunter.

Blimpie
02-05-2006, 11:55 AM
I think it would be just dreamy if Jerome's teammates could honor him in some way involving college replica jerseys. Say, does anybody remember which college he attended?

wheels
02-05-2006, 12:12 PM
I wonder what activity Jerome excells in other than football?

I remember someone mentioning that he rolls some kinda ball down a lane......

deltachi8
02-05-2006, 01:57 PM
:deleted: was not nice of me.

macro
02-05-2006, 11:04 PM
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060204/SPT03/602040388/1035/SPT

What good does it do to hate Steelers?
Column by The Post's Lonnie Wheeler

To Bengals fans, the difference between jealously and outright resentment goes about 300 pounds and wears No. 67 for the Pittsburgh Steelers. The line was crossed when Kimo von Oelhoffen's shoulder found its way into Carson Palmer's anchored knee.

For years upon eras, in the matters of Pittsburgh and football, Cincinnati had grown glumly accustomed to a station of subordination. It had tolerated the Terrible Towels and held off the traditional hating of a regional rival that seemed to always have its way. This, our denizens did out of grudging respect for a team that was everything they wished theirs was.

All of that changed twice in a little more than a month. First, there was the Bengals' virtual division-clinching at Heinz Field, leaving the Steelers 7-5 and all but finished. I recall, after the game, Bill Cowher pointing out that the playoffs were still a mathematical possibility for his men, and thinking, yeah, sure. It seemed almost pathetically rhetorical.

Of course, they haven't lost since, which puts them in Sunday's Super Bowl against the Seattle Seahawks, which is the Steeler sort of thing that makes envious admirers out of the often-beaten. Besides that, how do you not like the Bus? Big Ben? Dick LeBeau? Polamalu? Hines Ward? The Rooneys? Even Cowher? How do you not appreciate what Pittsburgh brings to the AFC North and NFL In General?

"They show that, if you want to stay ahead, you can't be satisfied with where you're at," said Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, a Pittsburgher who pulled for the Steelers as a kid and coached for them as a young professional. "They're very proactive. They're not my favorite team, but they're in the top three."

Magnanimously, sportingly, Lewis is able to say this in spite of what von Oelhoffen did, unpunished, to his franchise quarterback. He is able to say it in spite of the sanguine belief that, with Palmer in the pocket, his Bengals - who led the Steelers by 10 points in both the first and second quarters of their playoff game - might well be in Pittsburgh's place right now.

The rest of our town, however, is not quite so generous. In another year, the local folks would be all for the former RedHawk quarterback, the gentle coordinator whose experience here engendered their empathy, the dancing-haired safety who roomed with Palmer at USC, the retiring tailback who nearly fumbled away this final chance, the Ickey Shuffler, the Jaw. They'd be a Steelers camp.

But not this time. Not in the new Carson City.

"I think everything turned with Palmer's injury," said WLW sportstalker Andy Furman, who has been dealing with the reconstituted wrath of Bengals fans. "I think Shaun Alexander (the Seattle superstar from Boone County) has really rallied the troops, but I think there's a definite hatred now toward the Steelers.

"You'd think that you've got to root for the team that would make you look better if it won, the team that's in your division, the team that beat your team, the team that has had to beat three good teams on the road to get where they are. But it's really turned. A guy downtown just got in my face and said, 'If Carson hadn't gotten hurt, we'd be in the Super Bowl.' ''

It's human nature; especially sports-fan nature. There, but for the lack of grace of a defensive lineman, go we.

But maybe it's time for a little Kimo-therapy.

Granted, the ex-Bengal's leg yank looked questionable at best, and gruesome regardless. There probably should have been a flag, if not a fine. But one debatable play, by one desperate player, does not define an organization. For their part, the Bengals profess no problem with either von Oelhoffen or Pittsburgh.

"You can't purposely go out and hurt somebody," Lewis said Friday. "I've never seen that happen in the NFL. So I don't think there needs to be any resentment."

What he would rather take out of all this - on top of the encouragement and vicarious confidence the Bengals should derive from winning a division that includes a Super Bowl team they led by 10 points without their starting quarterback - is a lasting lesson in seeing things through. A team like Pittsburgh can't be put away on paper. Lesser teams are left reading the paper.

"I think it's a great thing for our players to look at and understand that if you do things the right way and take care of business, good things will happen," remarked the Cincinnati mastermind, whose high regard for the Steelers will fall short of a rooting interest on Sunday. His rooting interest is in Monday.

"I can't spend emotions on other people. I'll just be glad when the season ends, we're all 0-0, and we start over."

Contact Lonnie Wheeler at lwheeler@cincypost.com.

macro
02-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Ya know Krusty, I'm guessing it's A LOT easier to make a statement like that when it's the other team's guy that suffered the career-threatening injury and your team is in the Super Bowl.

Well put.

rdiersin
02-06-2006, 10:00 AM
I think it would be just dreamy if Jerome's teammates could honor him in some way involving college replica jerseys. Say, does anybody remember which college he attended?

I think it was a catholic school, Boston College maybe?:)

traderumor
02-06-2006, 10:07 AM
"You can't purposely go out and hurt somebody," Lewis said Friday. "I've never seen that happen in the NFL. So I don't think there needs to be any resentment."I love Marvin, but this is a ridiculous statement. While it is impossible to determine motives, I know Marvin is a few years older than me and Jack Tatum probably made a couple of plays a game where he was hoping to take a guy's head off. What about some of the oldtimers? Butkus? Never tried to hurt someone on purpose? Let's just say the BS meter's red siren is going off.

CrackerJack
02-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Hopefully Kim Von Kneechopper will leave as a UFA along with Bettis' retirement, and is the start of a Steelers' downfall - but they are still in very good shape with Ben, Hampton, Ward, Polamalu etc..,

GAC
02-06-2006, 10:18 AM
If you're waiting for another team's "downfall" via FA or age, then your approach is all wrong IMO. You can't, or should never, count on that.

savafan
02-06-2006, 10:24 AM
If you're waiting for another team's "downfall" via FA or age, then your approach is all wrong IMO. You can't, or should never, count on that.

Unless said team is the San Francisco 49ers.

Hap
02-06-2006, 12:10 PM
I love Marvin, but this is a ridiculous statement. While it is impossible to determine motives, I know Marvin is a few years older than me and Jack Tatum probably made a couple of plays a game where he was hoping to take a guy's head off. What about some of the oldtimers? Butkus? Never tried to hurt someone on purpose? Let's just say the BS meter's red siren is going off.

I think Buddy Ryan would agree with your post.

reds_fan29
02-06-2006, 01:52 PM
I believe Marvin resents what happens and deep down it bothers him, but as a coach and a face for the team, he really couldnt come out and say it, i think the press conference after the game when he was so mad, was his true feelings but he is trying to get the team to move on.

Tony Cloninger
02-06-2006, 03:08 PM
I think the "it costs us being in the SB" statement is a little too much.

Bengal fan since 1974.....even i know that this defense was no better than 1 win. They would have never survived DEN or INDY, IMO.

traderumor
02-06-2006, 04:11 PM
I think the "it costs us being in the SB" statement is a little too much.

Bengal fan since 1974.....even i know that this defense was no better than 1 win. They would have never survived DEN or INDY, IMO.It is safe to say it stole any chance, though. The D might have hit another turnover hot streak, you just never know.

max venable
02-06-2006, 04:30 PM
It is safe to say it stole any chance, though. The D might have hit another turnover hot streak, you just never know.
What still gets in my crawl is the Steelers fans around here saying that not having Carson in the game really made no difference...the result would have been the same. :bang: :bang:

R U kidding me?

deltachi8
02-06-2006, 04:34 PM
I think it would have made a difference....a different score, but the same team would have won. The Bengals simply didnt have a championship defense, or one close enough to it. Fix that, and the Bengals are a flipping great team.

max venable
02-06-2006, 04:43 PM
I think it would have made a difference....a different score, but the same team would have won. The Bengals simply didnt have a championship defense, or one close enough to it. Fix that, and the Bengals are a flipping great team.
If you'd have told me, going into the game, that the Steelers would score 31, I'd have said, "I like the Bengals' chances." Cripe, we scored 38 on you guys @ Pittsburgh.

Carson was 1 for 1 for 66 yards already.

He'd have gotten the boys into the endzone on that opening drive. That'd give us at least 20 in the first half alone.

The team was demoralized when CP went down...that had a huge effect. Plus it's a WHOLE LOT easier to defend Kitna than it is Palmer. Not sayin' a Bengals win would have been a slam dunk...but I liked our chances with CP in the game.

Tony Cloninger
02-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Even if BR goes down..... i would still be scared of Maddox, with this defense.

I mean....take out even half the TO's and this defense is just so prone giving up 3rd and long conversions. They overpursue.... and even on blitzes they seem to get blocked before anyone can touch the QB.

It amazes me the DL can do so much for PITT defense ..... but could do nothing with CIN defense, even during the middle to late 80's.

I think it shows how much better PITT scouting is. Even though both teams suffered from the small market problem of before/after FA. PITT actually hired scouts and people who know what they are doing...so that when they blew off FA...they could have ready replacements from the draft. Their after 3rd round picks starting when Cowher took over are what the bengals could never do. Since MB was too beyond DO incompetence to figure out that having your coaches do everything just did not work anymore.. they fell behind the curve of developing starters and depth.

The Bengals still have 4 less scouts than PITT now. That MB still has not learned from the way PITT does things...scares me. I still fear MB and his stubborn ways. I fear he will not let ML finish what he started and stunt the growth of this team. So when i hear about how Palmer and his gang have a long future ahead of them.... i do not buy it yet. This org. has too long a history of sabotaging itself.

ochre
02-06-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm as scared about the Bengals d as anybody, but Maddox doesn't put any fear into me. He was a prototype NFC North QB this year when Ben was out. The Bengals d would have feasted on him.

alex trevino
02-06-2006, 08:21 PM

The Bengals defense was good enough to beat the steelers in Pittsburg a few weeks before.

deltachi8
02-06-2006, 08:29 PM
31 points even after getting 3 turnovers, your point is well taken. However, the Bengals have to make the D better.

GAC
02-07-2006, 09:00 AM
If you'd have told me, going into the game, that the Steelers would score 31, I'd have said, "I like the Bengals' chances." Cripe, we scored 38 on you guys @ Pittsburgh.

But they lost to Pitt at home. ;)

But as already mentioned - I don't think the Bengal's "D" (or lack thereof) would have allowed then to escape Indy. Your only hope was that somehow/someway they returned to the form they showed during he first half of the season. But their "D" was atrocious in the second half.

And those losses at season's end didn;t help to boost their spirits either. Made people have alot of doubts.

savafan
02-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Even if the Bengals would have gotten past Pittsburgh with a healthy Carson Palmer, no way their defense stops the Colts.

Fil3232
02-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Even if the Bengals would have gotten past Pittsburgh with a healthy Carson Palmer, no way their defense stops the Colts.

They wouldn't have had to face the Colts necessarily. The Bengals would have travelled to Denver to face the Broncos while the Colts would have hosted the Patriots.

deltachi8
02-07-2006, 10:47 AM
They wouldn't have had to face the Colts necessarily. The Bengals would have travelled to Denver to face the Broncos while the Colts would have hosted the Patriots.

So the Broncos would have made the super bowl?

;)

traderumor
02-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Get Strat-O-Matic computer football when it comes out this summer and play the what-ifs :)

Fil3232
02-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Get Strat-O-Matic computer football when it comes out this summer and play the what-ifs :)

Don't get me wrong, I know the Bengals D was in trouble no matter who they faced, I was merely pointing out that the Bengals had a real chance of not having to face the vaunted Colts offense.

traderumor
02-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, I know the Bengals D was in trouble no matter who they faced, I was merely pointing out that the Bengals had a real chance of not having to face the vaunted Colts offense.I wasn't being smart alec, I was serious, so sorry if it came off that way. Its just hard to say what happens down the road.

TeamBoone
02-07-2006, 03:30 PM
The Bengals came very close to beating the Colts in regular season play. Who's to say what might have happened in the playoffs?

deltachi8
02-07-2006, 03:32 PM
No one knows team Boone...IMHO, if they had beat the Steelers, they never would have had the chance to face the colts, The Patriots would have taken care of them already.

alex trevino
02-07-2006, 09:40 PM
The Steelers beat the Colts, the colts beat the steelers, the Bengals beat the Steelers, Steelers beat the bengals...The truth is any team in the AFC play offs could have went all the way. Only Seattle and Carolina had a real shot from the NFC side.