PDA

View Full Version : Did Craig Morton throw the Superbowl?

alex trevino
02-04-2006, 11:14 PM
In 1977, The Dallas Cowboys defeated the Denver Broncos 27-10 in the Superbowl. Craig Morton was the quarterback for the Broncos. His line for the game? 4 for 15 for 39 yards and 4 interceptions (all in the first half). It was widely reported that Morton was deep in gambling debt to the mob. Morton now works for a sports betting service.

macro
02-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Where is this coming from? I had never heard that, and google turns up nothing whatsoever. If it was widely reported, I would think that there would be some traces of it somewhere on the Web.

:confused:

I agree that it looks suspicious, though.

EDIT: I did find this just now...

http://experts.about.com/q/Denver-Broncos-277/Super-Bowl-XII.htm

The BIG, BIG, BIG controversy right now is if Morton gave it his all on Super Bowl Sunday. Some say Craig Morton did not do his best in Super Bowl XII in order to ensure a "Cowboys cover" for forgiveness of gambling debts. He now works for a tout service, providing "guaranteed winners" to people who pay him. Hmmmmm??? I guess we'll never know. Although an injured Morton didn't fair much better during the regular season match up against Dallas that same year. Weese replaced Morton in that game as well, leading the Broncos to their only points of the game. The Cowboys won 14-6 in Dallas.

alex trevino
02-04-2006, 11:30 PM
I am sorry I should have said it was widely reported at the time....which is what makes me suscpious, I was not a broncos or cowboys fan...so I didn't have a dog in that fight. I just recently saw the replay on ESPN and some of Morton's passes would have made David Klinger look like a pro-bowler.

cumberlandreds
02-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Didn't Morton also throw a couple of interceptions late in Super Bowl V that allowed the Colts to come back to win that game? Hmmmmmmmmm

KronoRed
02-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Didn't Morton also throw a couple of interceptions late in Super Bowl V that allowed the Colts to come back to win that game? Hmmmmmmmmm
Yep

His numbers from Super Bowl 5
12-26 127 1 TD 3 INT

cumberlandreds
02-06-2006, 03:02 PM
I never knew those rumors about Morton. But now it does make you think something was up.

deltachi8
02-06-2006, 04:23 PM
That is the first Super Bowl (XII) I can really remember watching. I hoped Denver would win (I strongly disliked the cowboys) and even at 8 years old didnt understand how Morton could be so bad i that game.

alex trevino
02-06-2006, 10:19 PM
may be a story there for some aspiring young sports journalist.

TeamSelig
02-06-2006, 11:05 PM
maybe he just choked under pressure to keep the lead... I understand the reason to believe he did it, but I can't imagine buckling under pressure of a big game like the Super Bowl and then people blaming me for letting the other team win.

Hap
02-07-2006, 01:59 PM
The mafia coked up Stanley Wilson the night before Super Bowl XXIII, because they knew that the field was in bad shape and his straight-ahead running style would be difficult for the 49ers to stop and they wanted to make sure that the 49ers covered the spread, which they failed to do anyway.

gm
02-07-2006, 03:24 PM
The Vikings should've been in that Super Bowl, not the Cowboys. Except the ref didn't have the guts to call Drew Pearson's pushoff on Nate Wright.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...hate those Cowgirls

RedsBaron
02-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Hey, Craig Morton, after years of trying, finally won a Super Bowl for the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl XII---only problem was that he was no longer a member of the Cowboys by then-- he instead played for Denver; still, he made up for Super Bowl V.;)