PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Centerfielder??

11BarryLarkin11
02-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Who is our best defensive centerfielder?

Freel, Denorfia, Griffey, Wily Mo, or Kearns?

I'd say it has to be Freel. Right?

harangatang
02-05-2006, 11:23 PM
I'd say without a doubt it would be Freel but of course he is the most injury prone. I'd stick him out there and let him take his chances.

pedro
02-05-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm still not convinced that a really in shape Austin Kearns wouldn't be the Reds best option in CF. I'm just not confident that that player is ever going to exist, at least to the extent required to be a good CF.

Other than that, I'm all for putting WMP there if he can't be traded. I'd put Kearns in RF and Griffey in LF. I see no reason to contuniue with Griffey in CF. We know how that's going to end up IMO, and there really isn't an upside.

kbrake
02-05-2006, 11:33 PM
I think if Wily Mo had ever had the chance to play everyday in the minors he could have been a rather good CF or at least a real good corner OF, but since things unfolded the way they did......well you know how soon he will be winning a gold glove.

pedro
02-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Freel is intriguing in CF though. But not at the expense of playing RA everyday at 2B and letting WMP waste away. If we can't trade WMP, he has to play everyday IMO. The upside of WMP, no matter how unlikely to be realized, is too tantalizing to not take a chance on IMO. He's the kind of guy who could really help change the Reds fortunes quickly if it finally clicked, not that I'm confident that it ever will.

Chip R
02-05-2006, 11:58 PM
I think if Wily Mo had ever had the chance to play everyday in the minors he could have been a rather good CF or at least a real good corner OF, but since things unfolded the way they did......well you know how soon he will be winning a gold glove.

But he did have the chance. He played in the minors about 3-4 years and I'm sure that his instruction didn't stop once he made it to the major leagues. But he could be playing in the minor leagues for 10 years and that wouldn't necessarily make him a better outfielder. A lot of it is instincts and that is something you can't teach. Sometimes you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

deltachi8
02-06-2006, 12:31 AM
If Jearns is healthy and not fat, plays there regularly, he probably is.

Griffey should be on a corner or at 1b.

wheels
02-06-2006, 12:48 AM
From the looks of those recent pictures, Kearns seems to have shed some weight.

If that's truly the case, he'll be the best defensive player the Reds have.

Let's just hope he can regain his stroke. He had 48 walks in 387 AB's, sees alot of pitches and really grinds at the plate, fouling off pitches, and taking the ones that are tough to take.....But is his power gone because of injury? Everyone says he's healthy, so if we can believe that, we'll see him hit enough to justify his playing time, which will help the club offensively.

I've got a good feeling about Austin. He seems to have put the family affairs of last season to bed, and there will be no Dan O'Brien to mess with his head.

He's my pick to take his game to a higher level.

M2
02-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Denorfia

wheels
02-06-2006, 01:06 AM
Denorfia

I like Kearns' arm. Denorfia's got him in the range department, but Kearns' arm and polish puts him ahead of Deno in my mind.

11BarryLarkin11
02-06-2006, 01:53 AM
Denorfia

I haven't gotten to see enough of him yet. How does Denorfia stack up against Freel? What kind of defensive reputation did Denorfia earn in the minors?

pedro
02-06-2006, 02:21 AM
Denorfia

Probably right, although I really haven't seen him play that much. It's just more an assumption on my part that he'd have to be, look at the competition.

I left him off b/c until the Reds trade someone or have bigtime injuries, I don't figure Denorfria to actually play everyday. BP's pecota does have him getting 500+ ab's though, but with a vorp little over replacement level.

pedro
02-06-2006, 02:26 AM
If Kearns became a decent CF it would really increase his value as a player.

Danny Serafini
02-06-2006, 09:30 AM
What, no votes for Cruz?

OK, put me in the Kearns camp, if he actually got the chance to play there everyday I think he'd become a fine CF.

captainmorgan07
02-06-2006, 09:33 AM
kearns can be a fine center fielder freel is just nuts and well dive into wall jump into them do watever it takes denorfia is a good young outfielder

wheels
02-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Oh geesh....

I just noticed that the thread title is defensive CENTER fielder.

Please strike my above comments. I was not paying attention last night night.:pimp:

M2
02-06-2006, 10:46 AM
I haven't gotten to see enough of him yet. How does Denorfia stack up against Freel? What kind of defensive reputation did Denorfia earn in the minors?

BA rated Denorfia as having the system's best OF arm prior to 2005 (Jay Bruce copped that award this season).

I've only see him play live once, but he flashed some serious range when I did. That's something you can't fake. Even in televised viewing you can see that he's taking good routes and has excellent form. My take is he's the only guy the Reds could trot out there who brings both technique and speed to bear.

Nugget
02-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Junior in centre, Kearns at right and Freel in left. Hopefully WMP will improve and we will see out of ST. But in Junior you may not get the stats but he is able to direct the outfielders better as well. Centre is not just about reaching the balls its about meshing and directing with the corners and the middle IF.

M2
02-06-2006, 06:29 PM
But in Junior you may not get the stats but he is able to direct the outfielders better as well. Centre is not just about reaching the balls its about meshing and directing with the corners and the middle IF.

"Hey Austin, get that ball after it rolls to the wall while I hand signal for Felipe to take the relay!"

Yeah, I'd much rather have that than a catch.

Nugget
02-06-2006, 07:18 PM
"Hey Austin, get that ball after it rolls to the wall while I hand signal for Felipe to take the relay!"

Yeah, I'd much rather have that than a catch.

WMP: Hey has anyone seen the flyball that came out here? I could've sworn it was coming out here. I sprinted as fast as I could.

M2
02-06-2006, 10:21 PM
WMP: Hey has anyone seen the flyball that came out here? I could've sworn it was coming out here. I sprinted as fast as I could.

And yet his chances of getting a flyball in CF dwarf Jr.'s. Go figure.

Range trumps technique. Mind you, I'd rather have both.

Nugget
02-06-2006, 11:04 PM
And yet his chances of getting to a flyball in CF dwarf Jr.'s. Go figure.

Range trumps technique. Mind you, I'd rather have both.

Just a slight change to what WMP chances are. Granted rather have both but I'm saying that Junior's defensive ability in CF shouldn't be judged by stats only just like Beltran's shouldn't be judged by the highlight reel.

M2
02-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Just a slight change to what WMP chances are. Granted rather have both but I'm saying that Junior's defensive ability in CF shouldn't be judged by stats only just like Beltran's shouldn't be judged by the highlight reel.

I agree. Anyone who watches Jr. in the OF can see that he's running in slow motion these days. Stats alone don't tell the story, they only help to confirm it.

TC81190
02-07-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Milton. He gives em a work out out there....that is...when they actually stay within the confines.

Z-Fly
02-07-2006, 02:33 PM
I think it depends on how Grif's leg heals after his surgery. Without a doubt he isn't the same player that he was 10 years ago, but he still plays a better centerfield than CRASH Freel, WHERE AM I GOING Pena, or FATBOY Kearns.

Superdude
02-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Why don't we trade Griffey to the AL and make a CF tandem of Freel/Denorfia. That would...

a) dump salary
b) bring something decent in return
c) MAJORLY improve the defense
d) the tandem would help keep Freel healthy and ease Denorfia into the majors without benching him all the time.
e) we've still got seven other second basemen!