PDA

View Full Version : You're a class act Joe Montana

savafan
02-07-2006, 09:15 AM
I guess he needs to feed his kids gold puddin'? :rolleyes:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/02/06/SPG9QH3GD91.DTL

Detroit -- Joe Montana, the only three-time Super Bowl Most Valuable Player, was one of only three Super Bowl MVPs who turned down the NFL's invitation to take part in pregame ceremonies for Super Bowl XL.

Montana also declined the league's invitation for a news conference with all the MVPs after Commissioner Paul Tagliabue's Friday news conference.

"We were disappointed we weren't able to work it out with him," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president of public relations.

The former MVPs were guaranteed $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit. The NFL also provided each former Super Bowl MVP with two first-class airplane tickets, a hotel room, a Cadillac for the weekend, two tickets to the game, two tickets to the Friday night commissioner's party, two tickets to a Saturday night party and two tickets to a Sunday tailgate party. There also were opportunities for paid appearances arranged by the NFL.

Two sources close to the league said Montana refused to attend over money. One of the sources said Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 for appearances if he came here, and the league said it would not make that guarantee. Tom Brady, who has won the Super Bowl MVP award twice, handled the coin toss to start the game, making him the first active player to perform that chore.

MVPs representing 32 of the 39 previous Super Bowls were on hand. Besides the 49ers' Montana, the only ones missing were Pittsburgh's Terry Bradshaw (a two-time MVP), Jake Scott (a Miami defensive back who was MVP in SB VII) and the late Harvey Martin (a Dallas defensive lineman who was co-MVP in SB XII). The issue with Bradshaw also reportedly was money; Scott is on vacation in Australia.

registerthis
02-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Hey, they've gotta family to feed. Can't say I blame them.

Johnny Footstool
02-07-2006, 09:24 AM
When you've done as many dog-and-pony shows as Joe Montana, you get a little tired of it all. He has a number that would make the aggravation worth it -- the NFL just didn't meet that number.

Red Leader
02-07-2006, 09:26 AM
I've hated Joe Montana his whole career. Still unfortunate to hear that someone could take an opportunity like this and destroy it because of greed. Go walk into the sunset, Joe. You won't be missed.

deltachi8
02-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Didnt bother me at all what he chose to do. $1000 to Montana is like $10 to me. I wouldn't have missed Sunday with my son (even if he was wathcing the Simpsons Season V most of the game) for $10.

Was it about money? Overall, yes. The cost to him wasnt worth it.

KronoRed
02-07-2006, 10:28 AM
His reason rings better then Bradshaw's.

I read somewhere where Bradshaw still holds a grudge against Steeler fans for the way he was treated at the end of his career

deltachi8
02-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Bradshaw and the Steeler fans and team kissed and made up a couple years ago.

Bradshaw too wanted to be home with his family as he is on the road every weekend from Sept-Jan for his Fox job and is also not feeling well, he has surgery scheduled soon for his neck. He at least said he would have thought about it for $150K.

IowaRed
02-07-2006, 10:49 AM
I've heard conflicting reports about this "story" and what really happened. Some of what I have heard/read is that Montana wanted to be at his son's basketball game and feels like he has spent too much time away from his family. I'm not a Montana fan but if that's his reason (and not just the money) then good for him.

savafan
02-07-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm not a Montana fan but if that's his reason (and not just the money) then good for him.

I'd second that. I also wasn't a Montana fan, but I was always impressed with the way he played the game.

Roy Tucker
02-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Bradshaw too wanted to be home with his family as he is on the road every weekend from Sept-Jan for his Fox job and is also not feeling well, he has surgery scheduled soon for his neck.
Surgery because of this:

http://www.fanmonster.com/blogs/ace/public/images_upload/browns.jpg

westofyou
02-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Joe doesn't make a move without Jennifer's say so, I have a friend who produced a commercial that he was in and she said that not only was he "dumb" but he was the most whipped man on earth, defering every decision to her.

savafan
02-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Speaking of Bradshaw:

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/nfl/the-terry-bradshaw-bulimia-plan-149710.php

If you haven’t noticed from those gripping ads clearly aimed at sports fans, the new Matthew McConaughey-Sarah Jessica Parker “romantic” “comedy” Failure To Launch co-stars Fox Sports’ own Terry Bradshaw, playing (we think) the father of one of the two main characters. Yep, Bradshaw’s actually playing someone other than himself; we’re clearly sprinting to the theaters.

Anyway, Bradshaw was on the Don Imus radio show this morning, and he started discussing his “close friendship with Kathy Bates,” who also stars in the film. We’ll break down the conversation as such.

Bradshaw: “I’ve got makeout scenes with Kathy. She and I do love scenes.”
(palpable pause)
Imus: “You sound out of breath. You’re not masturbating, are you?”

Excuse us, we’re going to go kill ourselves.
:eek:

macro
02-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Money and family issues aside, what about giving something back to the game and the fans that made you a multi-millionaire? Does everything have to come with a price tag?

deltachi8
02-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Macro...good point, and I'm sure the answer would be they gave at the office.

Honestly didnt know about this until the stories popped up, I didnt turn the game on until around 6:15, when the teams were introduced.

Johnny Footstool
02-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Money and family issues aside, what about giving something back to the game and the fans that made you a multi-millionaire? Does everything have to come with a price tag?

He gave a good portion of his life to that game. How about cutting him some slack for having other priorities, like his family?

macro
02-07-2006, 01:19 PM
They were only asking for one day, Johnny. There are very few of us that are able to be with our families 365 days a year. Besides, by putting a dollar figure on his participation, he proved that there was a point at which he would forsake that time with his family in favor of money. If being with the family on that particular day was so crucial, then he shouldn't have put the $100K price tag on it. He should've just said I'm not available because I want to be with my family and left it at that. It's the $100K asking price that I'm taking issue with, not how he spends his time.

macro
02-07-2006, 01:21 PM
I just reread the article. Where is the mention of Montana's family? Is that conjecture? The only reason I see cited in that article was that the price wasn't right.

savafan
02-07-2006, 01:28 PM
I just reread the article. Where is the mention of Montana's family? Is that conjecture? The only reason I see cited in that article was that the price wasn't right.

It wasn't in the article. IowaRed posted it.

macro
02-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Oh, sorry 'bout that. I overlooked that post.

IowaRed
02-07-2006, 01:41 PM

There isn't anything in this article about his family. I heard a clip from Montana's interview on Steven A. Smith's show where he was talking about the importance of attending his kids events and that he is at a point in his life where he can control his schedule. I didn't hear anything about the $100,000 in the interview

Johnny Footstool
02-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Even if it is about the money, that's still "taking care of his family" -- providing them the gold pudding savafan mentioned.

TeamBoone
02-07-2006, 03:39 PM
It's more than one day. He's gotta fly in/ fly home, etc. If he didn't want to do it, it was up to him. Does anyone really care that he didn't do it or why?

Chip R
02-07-2006, 03:49 PM
It's more than one day. He's gotta fly in/ fly home, etc. If he didn't want to do it, it was up to him. Does anyone really care that he didn't do it or why?

I suppose they do since there has been such an uproar about it. I don't really give a crap one way or the other but I'm guessing that he wanted to hold the NFL up for big time money and when they refused he said he wasn't going. But when that leaked out Montana said it was a family commitment so as not to look like a greedy bastard.

savafan
02-08-2006, 03:57 PM
I've heard conflicting reports about this "story" and what really happened. Some of what I have heard/read is that Montana wanted to be at his son's basketball game and feels like he has spent too much time away from his family. I'm not a Montana fan but if that's his reason (and not just the money) then good for him.

Wait a minute. This thought has been stuck in my head, and then it came to me. What school would schedule a basketball game on Superbowl Sunday?

Chip R
02-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Wait a minute. This thought has been stuck in my head, and then it came to me. What school would schedule a basketball game on Superbowl Sunday?

Perhaps it was scheduled for early in the afternoon on Sunday. Although I'll grant you Sunday is an odd day to have a game.

vaticanplum
02-08-2006, 04:14 PM
http://www.deadspin.com/sports/nfl/checking-in-on-our-man-joe-153577.php

GAC
02-08-2006, 05:36 PM

We need to get our facts straight. The expenses are standard practice by ther NFL. Montana or anyone else didn't put a "price tag" on appearing. It wasn't money being extorted. And that wasn't an issue with him to begin with.

As far as I'm concerned, Montana doesn't need to give back any more to the game or the fans. He did it on the field. While playing, he pretty much missed out on his daughters growing up due to his job. And made the decision he wasn't going to do the same with his sons now that he had the opportunity.

Making an appearance before your kids, and giving them the attention, is far more important in my book then giving it to fans who would probably never remember you were there in the first place.... "Hey Dad! Isn't that Joe Montana? I don't know son, let me se the binoculars."

Can we try to find something else to make an issue about on here. Like if he abuses his wife or beats his kids. :rolleyes:

Crash Davis
02-08-2006, 05:53 PM
He gave a good portion of his life to that game. How about cutting him some slack for having other priorities, like his family?

:thumbup:

Johnny: your making too much sense here.

Caveat Emperor
02-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Above and beyond all the other arguments made -- it was a stupid ceremony that added nothing but pomp and circumstance to an already overblown game.

Sure, it was "neat" to see all the old MVPs there, but I certainly didn't enjoy the game LESS because Joe Montana didn't show up. I don't blame him an iota for not wanting to be part of this three-ring circus.

RedsManRick
02-08-2006, 07:25 PM
I hate that crap about "giving back to the game". The money and fame Joe got from the game are the result of the value he added while he played. Every time people talk about the 49er dynasty of the 80's, they referencing what Montana gave back to the game. The money the NFL gets from advertising revenue at the SuperBowl is a direct result of fan interest because of the what Montana and his peers gave to the NFL.

They wanted him to spend his time walking out of a tunnel and waving to the camera and then stand next to the ref for a coin flip. It was stupid and added very little of value to the game. Athletes don't OWE their sport their time after they've retired. He'd rather spend his time with his family then be "honored" for seconds in an all expenses paid trip weekend in Detroit.

Good for him.

westofyou
02-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Personally I've seen Montana at enough Super Bowls to last a lifetime, if he wants to stay away then all the better for me.

RedsBaron
02-08-2006, 08:33 PM
I wish Montana had skipped Super Bowl XVI and Super Bowl XXIII rather than Super Bowl XL.

savafan
02-08-2006, 10:50 PM
He'd rather spend his time with his family then be "honored" for seconds in an all expenses paid trip weekend in Detroit.

Excellent point, I'd rather do just about anything than spend a weekend in Detroit. :mooner:

macro
02-09-2006, 12:43 AM
We need to get our facts straight. The expenses are standard practice by ther NFL. Montana or anyone else didn't put a "price tag" on appearing. It wasn't money being extorted. And that wasn't an issue with him to begin with.

Just goin' by what I read in the article, GAC...

Two sources close to the league said Montana refused to attend over money. One of the sources said Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 for appearances if he came here, and the league said it would not make that guarantee.

GAC
02-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Just goin' by what I read in the article, GAC...

I understand macro. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. It's just that I read where that $100,000 demand was nothing but rumor and bogus.

Maybe the NFL should have agreed, and then gave him one of these! :lol:

http://www.boomerweb.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/100_grand2.JPG

Chip R
02-09-2006, 10:19 AM
I don't think that anyone believes Montana should have attended the ceremonies if it meant taking time away from his family. But what I and others wonder is if there was a price that would have made Joe say, "Screw the family. I'm going to Detroit." It's like the old joke: A man walks up to a woman in a bar and asks if she'd sleep with him for $100,000. She gets all nice and lovey-dovey with him and agrees. Then he asks her if she'd sleep with him for $1. All of a sudden her attitude changes and she's not so nice. She says, "What do you think I am?!" He says, "I already know what you are. Now we're just negotiating a price." ;) Was Joe just negotiating a price?

macro
02-09-2006, 11:56 AM
GAC, that would be too funny. Kinda like the stunt the Lexington deejays tried to pull last year with their "100 grand giveaway".

Chip, that's what I was trying to get at. Your example makes it clearer. If it was all about the family, then don't set a price. Again, assuming the reports about the money were correct.

I'll admit that I sometimes take the "spoiled, greedy, rich athlete" stance on things when I haven't (and can't) put myself in that person's shoes. If the money stories were incorrect, then it's unfortunate that they were put out there. Me? I believe it, unless these "sources close to the league" had something against Montana to start with.

As for the earlier comment someone made about it being stupid and adding nothing of value to the game, well I guess that's a matter of opinion, and it's one I don't share. I thought it was really cool to see these guys again, especially some of the older ones. If the Reds bring some members of the BRM or the 1990 team back to GAB and recognize them in pregame ceremonies on the field, is that stupid?

GAC
02-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Which is is? - MasterCard or VISA that does those "priceless" commercials? Maybe they could capitalize on this and use Joe? ;)

People have told me that if I shaved my beard off that I look like Joe Montana. Maybe I can double for him next year. They don't even have to fly me 1st class. I'm cheap! :lol: