PDA

View Full Version : DC council votes no on stadium lease

savafan
02-07-2006, 11:49 PM
http://andrewclem.com/Archives/Post.php?2006/02/07ba.html

FURTHER UPDATE: As of 9:00 PM, WTOP reports that the D.C. Council voted 8 to 5 against Mrs. Cropp's proposed emergency stadium finance bill, which may just deal a fatal blow to the future of baseball in Washington. Or maybe not. Some council members seem to think that Major League Baseball will recognize that they have no better alernative than to make even bigger concessions and keep the Nationals in Washington. Perhaps, but that is taking an enormous risk. I would expect Bud Selig to issue an immediate statement condemning the D.C. Council vote, beginning steps to relocate the Nationals elsewhere (possibly even this season*), and I would have to support him. How in the world can anyone make a long-term commercial agreement with a government that reneges so capriciously on its existing solemn commitments? I have criticized MLB's heavy-handed tactics many times in the past, and there is no doubt that both sides share some of the blame for this disgraceful turn of events, but from what I can tell, the action by the D.C. Council this evening seems completely unjustifiable. It reeks of short-sighted, self-destructive, crowd-pleasing spite. I've been prepared for a lot of bluffing and brinksmanship by both sides, but this outcome is astonishing even to me. It will be interesting to hear what the "no"-voting council members have to say...

* I have raised the probability of the Nats being relocated from 10 percent to 20 percent; there is an additional 10 percent probability of relocation from D.C. to Northern Virginia.

BrooklynRedz
02-08-2006, 12:06 AM
I don't think the future of baseball in DC is in any danger.

KronoRed
02-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Contract em.

Chip R
02-08-2006, 01:36 AM
I hear Montreal is looking for a team. ;)

MartyFan
02-08-2006, 04:03 AM
Bowden is GM until April...hmmm.

I think the team will stay there but the Mayor from LasVegas just sent some Show Girls to Mr. Selig.

cumberlandreds
02-08-2006, 09:22 AM
They did pass it later in the evening. MLB will be looking it over to see if they like it or not.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=126&sid=609875

registerthis
02-08-2006, 10:22 AM
This whole thing has just become such an embarassment. But, then again, it's hard to pick a time when D.C. politics HAVEN'T been an embarassment.

The thing that the D.C. council doesn't seem to realize is that they've been trying to bend over backwards to appease Major League Baseball, the whole time knowing that they possess all of the bargaining power. Washington proved itself last year to be a lucrative market, and showed that D.C. truly does deserve a M.L. team. There's isn't a chance in heck that MLB will move this team to another locale--Vegas, Portland, Charlotte, whatever--at this point. The team is staying in D.C., and it seems everyone knows that except for certain members of the D.C. council, who act as if armageddon will ensue if they don't pass a lease deal that makes the MLB fatcats smile with glee.