PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Beattie likely Reds GM

savafan
02-07-2006, 11:01 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0208redsweb.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=29

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

There are strong indications that the Cincinnati Reds will name Jim Beattie as the team's general manager, The Dayton Daily News has learned.

Two reliable sources close to the situation said it was their understanding that Beattie, 50, is the choice to replace fired Dan O'Brien and that the Reds will announce the decision in the next few days.

Nine candidates were interviewed and several have been told they wouldn't get the job, including interim GM Brad Kullman, Reds special advisor Leland Maddox and Philadelphia assistant general manager Mike Arbuckle.

It would not be surprising.

Beattie was the first person new owner Bob Castellini hired, naming him a special advisor the same day he officially took over as the team's CEO. And he immediately named him as a candidate for the GM's chair.

In addition, Castellini has told friends he preferred a person who had been a general manager. Only Beattie and Atlanta assistant general manager Frank Wren have GM experience among the candidates.

Wren was general manager of the Baltimore Orioles for one year while Beattie has been general manager in Montreal and Baltimore.

In addition, Boston Red Sox executive Larry Lucchino is a confidante to Castellini and highly recommends Beattie.

Beattie returned a telephone call but preferred to make no comments. The Reds said they would make no further comments on the situation until the general manager is named.

Originally, Castellini said there might be a second round of interviews with two or three of the candidates, but that might not happen.

Wayne Krivsky, Minnesota assistant general manager and the No. 2 finisher when O'Brien was hired before the 2004 season, was a strong candidate this time around. He did not return phone calls Tuesday after returning all calls earlier in the process.

"I'm not surprised at all," said one source close to the situation. "Everybody thought it was curious that Beattle would be hired as a special advisor before a new GM was hired. Now we know why."

Until the end of this season, Beattie teamed in Baltimore with Mike Flanagan to run the Orioles baseball operations, a position they shared since December, 2002.

Before that, Beattie served as Expos general manager from 1995 through 2001.

Beattie also served six years as Seattle's Director of Player Development at the same time Lou Piniella was manager of the Mariners. Castellini would like nothing better than to bring Piniella in as Reds' manager, perhaps for the 2007 season.

One thing Beattle has in his favor that O'Brien didn't is that Beattie played the game. He was drafted and signed by the New York Yankees in 1975 and pitched nine major-league seasons with the Yankees and Mariners, going 52-87 with a 4.17 earned run average in 203 games.

CincyRedsFan30
02-07-2006, 11:14 PM
There is a lot of conflicting information out there. I'm not so sure about this whole situation at this point, as I've now heard different things from different individuals within the last several hours alone, including this published report.

If Beattie is hired, we could well have an unfolding disaster. How could Castellini possibly justify to the fans (who he claims to care about so much) the hiring of a guy who has shown little evidence of being a good MLB general manager?

It seems awfully strange to me that ESPN confirmed the idea that the team was leaning toward Krivsky, yet this makes it sound like it was likely going to be Beattie all along. Who is getting what information and from where?

KronoRed
02-07-2006, 11:19 PM
From all the named mentioned I will be very disappointed to end up with Beattie

Nugget
02-07-2006, 11:26 PM
The two leaks so far have come from the two most unreliable sources for REDS information Peter Gammons and Hal McCoy. Although McCoy tends to be closer to the truth than Gammons most times. If nothing it helps them sell papers or Insider subscriptions.

Reds Fanatic
02-07-2006, 11:28 PM
I really hope this is wrong. Here is a quote from Ken Rosenthal that says pretty much exactly what is wrong with Beattie.

The Reds need to do better than Beattie, whose low-key, deliberate style is too similar to that of Dan O'Brien's.

CincyRedsFan30
02-07-2006, 11:29 PM
If this information turns out to be correct, I apologize in advance for getting the hopes of the Krivsky supporters up. I really believed it was likely going to be given to him. :angry:

savafan
02-07-2006, 11:30 PM
I wonder if Beattie is a friend of Hal's?

CincyRedsFan30
02-07-2006, 11:41 PM
I don't think I've ever seen so much disagreement among various publications about what is going on. Usually you might see one jump out there and say that someone "likely" will be hired and the others seem to just sit tight and wait. Not so here:

Enquirer: Down to Krivsky and Beattie. Additional interviews are coming.
Post: No list released today. Will wait for announcement.
ESPN: Likely leaning toward Krivsky.
DDN: Beattie likely to get the job.

Caveat Emperor
02-07-2006, 11:42 PM
To quote one of my favorite movies...

"Rage....Taking....Over...."

savafan
02-07-2006, 11:43 PM
I don't think I've ever seen so much disagreement among various publications about what is going on. Usually you might see one jump out there and say that someone "likely" will be hired and the others seem to just sit tight and wait. Not so here:

Enquirer: Down to Krivsky and Beattie. Additional interviews are coming.
Post: No list released today. Will wait for announcement.
ESPN: Likely leaning toward Krivsky.
DDN: Beattie likely to get the job.

We'll all be surprised when Ron Oester sweeps in and gets offered the job.

NewEraReds
02-07-2006, 11:46 PM
if beattie gets the job, that will just about do it for me with this team. what another 30 years till cast will be selling the team? hey, i will still only be in my 50s, so there is still hope :) this would be THE WORST possible thing ever. why even fire dan obrien if this is who you are going to replace him with. cast will be hated more than lindner ever was before the reds even play one game with him as owner

CincyRedsFan30
02-07-2006, 11:46 PM

:eek:

This all has to be some sort of terrible, sick nightmare.

CincyRedsFan30
02-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Is the board undergoing "Beattie As GM Outcry Preperation" right now? :)

Shaknb8k
02-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Why is it that Im scared to go to sleep and wake up and this thread has a bold Sticky written in front of it?

kheidg-
02-08-2006, 12:16 AM
I really hope this is wrong. Here is a quote from Ken Rosenthal that says pretty much exactly what is wrong with Beattie.

The Reds need to do better than Beattie, whose low-key, deliberate style is too similar to that of Dan O'Brien's.

That quote made me cringe as well. I was pulling for either Krivsky or Kullman.

savafan
02-08-2006, 12:28 AM
Let's take a look at Beattie's work.

From 1990-1995 Beattie was either the Farm Director or Director of Player Development. During that time, the M's promoted the following players:

Tino Martinez, Dave Burba, Bret Boone, Mike Hampton, Alex Rodriguez and Ron Villone.

Noteable players drafted by Seattle during those years:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SEA/1990_trans.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SEA/1991_trans.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SEA/1992_trans.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SEA/1993_trans.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SEA/1994_trans.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SEA/1995_trans.shtml

From 1996 to 2000, Beattie was the general manager of the Montreal Expos. Here is what transpired under his watch there

1996, hired 10/27/95
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MON/1996_trans.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MON/1997_trans.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MON/1998_trans.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MON/2000_trans.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MON/2001_trans.shtml

2003-2005, Co-BM of the Baltimore Orioles

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2003_trans.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2004_trans.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2005_trans.shtml

cincinnati chili
02-08-2006, 12:29 AM
The two leaks so far have come from the two most unreliable sources for REDS information Peter Gammons and Hal McCoy. Although McCoy tends to be closer to the truth than Gammons most times. If nothing it helps them sell papers or Insider subscriptions.

Gammons is unreliable for the Reds? News to me.

westofyou
02-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Sure he's a hack... he only invented the style of newswriting he produces and has only been around as long as Hal (with twice as much insight and acceptance to the world outside once he got his press badge)

But other than that... pure hack.

Chip R
02-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Sava, do you think you could put a link to all that information? That's about as long as one of Red Storm's posts.

M2
02-08-2006, 12:33 AM
I actually don't have a problem with Beattie, though it sounds like I'm in a distinct minority. I don't think he's ever been allowed to run a major league baseball team. First he had the Expos when that franchise went into full divestiture mode and then he was part of that neutered two-headed monster in Baltimore.

I mentioned this before, but it's possible he could be what many hoped DanO would be - genial, prepared and bright.

Maybe he isn't. Mind you, he wouldn't be my pick. I'd be looking to lift a capo regime from Atlanta, St. Louis or Minnesota.

savafan
02-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Sava, do you think you could put a link to all that information? That's about as long as one of Red Storm's posts.

Give me a few minutes, it will be several links and I have to find them again.

Krusty
02-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Man, I thought it would come down to Krivsky and Wren since they have come from organizations that have built through solid farm systems.

westofyou
02-08-2006, 12:42 AM
I actually don't have a problem with Beattie, though it sounds like I'm in a distinct minority. I don't think he's ever been allowed to run a major league baseball team. First he had the Expos when that franchise went into full divestiture mode and then he was part of that neutered two-headed monster in Baltimore.

I mentioned this before, but it's possible he could be what many hoped DanO would be - genial, prepared and bright.

Maybe he isn't. Mind you, he wouldn't be my pick. I'd be looking to lift a capo regime from Atlanta, St. Louis or Minnesota.I don't really mind him either, he's not too young and he's not too old, he's just not sexy... but neither is Krivskey... who could be too toolsy if given the chance.

Either way Vonnegut speaks:

"The two prime movers in the Universe are Time and Luck."

savafan
02-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Previous post edited to include links

Nugget
02-08-2006, 02:05 AM

He also came up with the rumour about Dunn being traded to the Red Sox last season which was way out there.

MartyFan
02-08-2006, 02:51 AM
I could live with him being the GM...He may move as aslwo as DanO but when he does move there is usually some value in it. He has had a couple of great drafts...so that is encouraging. His FA signings and some trades really scare me...but like M2 said I am not sure he really ever RAN an organization but he was part of building the the farm system for Montreal.

Ron Madden
02-08-2006, 04:29 AM
I hope and pray this is a false report.

I might be a few fries short of a fun meal but this is my honest opinion ...

If any decissions Castellini makes are swayed by the ideas of Larry Lucchino we are in trouble.

Lucchino will ruin the Red Sox much in the same way Lasorda has held back the progress of the Dodgers.

RedLegSuperStar
02-08-2006, 04:44 AM
Why hire Beattie.. If he is already a special advisor? Why not get Wren or Krivsky and still have Beattie.. have both minds under your belt.

corkedbat
02-08-2006, 06:41 AM

He'll want a day to decide and Naeherring (sp?) will offer to do it for less. :D

cincinnati chili
02-08-2006, 07:26 AM
He also came up with the rumour about Dunn being traded to the Red Sox last season which was way out there.

Was it? I have not idea of how close this came to happening. But considering DanO was pondering flipping Dunn for some of the questionable Dodger prospects early on (e.g. Edwin Jackson), this wouldn't surprise me. The Red Sox definitely wanted him, and the DanO regime definitely undervalued him.

A lot of people laughed at the Griffey-to-the-Reds talk that Gammons championed long before anyone else... and I mean MONTHS before anyone else.

cincinnati chili
02-08-2006, 07:30 AM

Maybe he isn't. Mind you, he wouldn't be my pick. I'd be looking to lift a capo regime from Atlanta, St. Louis or Minnesota.

At least with Jim Beattie you don't have that scary unknown that you had with DanO, and that you'd have with Mozeilak and Krivsky. I don't recall any patently stupid moves that he made in Montreal.

My concern with him is that I never saw him exhibit any express creativity either, but perhaps he's never been given the chance like you say.

Another concern is that John Henry vetoed Larry Lucchino's desire to hire Beattie as Red Sox GM. This doesn't happen very often, from what I understand. Henry bit his tongue during the Grady Little hiring (Henry wasn't impressed during interviews and wanted Felipe Alou), the Josh Beckett trade (which he still doesn't like) and generally trusts the judgment of his baseball people.

traderumor
02-08-2006, 08:59 AM
http://www.birdsinthebelfry.com/beattie_Q&A.htm

Sorry if this has already been posted. Not much in there, but a few little nuggets I wanna touch on in an effort not to jump to judgment that he is DanO Lite. First, I'm not sure what this site is in the scheme of things, but I noticed Beattie took the initiative to meet with this roundtable, which appears to be internet media. That is something folks have been clamoring for around these parts--respect for new media. Also, some insight into the Javy Lopez signing. I'll keep looking to give some folks some background so they too might have an informed opinion about what type of GM Jim Beattie might be.

Here's another:
http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=115074&z=58%20class=

registerthis
02-08-2006, 09:17 AM
This GM search is really starting to sound disappointing. This organization really needs to look outside of its own for individuals with track records of success at other teams. Front office-types from the cards and Braves would certainly qualify. Jim Beattie, eh, not so much.

redsfan30
02-08-2006, 09:21 AM
I know nothing concrete about Beattie, but pleanty of people around here who are smarter than I am concerning the situation don't like him. That's enough for me (I've learned that over my 4 years here).

Beattie would get a :thumbdown from me. Krivski would get a :thumbup: from me.

LAReds
02-08-2006, 09:23 AM
This morning, ESPN Radio reported Beattie will be the GM, so now there are conflicting reports out of ESPN.

Kc61
02-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Fine. Whatever.

Castellini is no fool. I'm sure he took the time to focus on this decision and considered all options.

I would have preferred Krivsky based upon the third-hand reports, but Beattie is experienced in several organizations and should be fine. I don't think the owner will let this situation continue as is, regardless who he hires as GM.

lollipopcurve
02-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Beattie is a smart guy (Dartmouth) and was a starting pitcher for years in the bigs. He's got many years of FO experience in various roles. I'm giving the guy a chance, for sure.

Most interesting to me is his background as a pitcher. The fact that the Reds, forever a team heavy on offense and light on pitching, now are likely to have an ex-pitcher GM is a curious twist. When he came in a couple of weeks ago, his assignment was to evaluate the pitching. Clearly some expectations have been set in that regard. What will he say about developing pitching? Will he bring in a bunch of new pitching coaches? Will he demand college pitching at the top of the draft, and will he insinuate himself so far as to make a #1 pick himself? Will he promote live arms aggressively? You gotta figure he brings more to the table than the Little Book of Pitching Lemmas by D. O'Brien.

And will he start with strike #1 by getting Dunn signed? (Though I put that responsibility more on ownership stepping up, at this point.)

Falls City Beer
02-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Jim Beattie has had many, many years in baseball to accomplish something. He's not done it. Yes, he's had to deal with difficult payroll constraints and meddling owners, but that's not enough of an excuse; he's going to have a very, very difficult time walking into the Cincy job, too. I want a big time heavy-lifter. Beattie ain't it.

ochre
02-08-2006, 09:40 AM
To quote one of my favorite movies...

"Rage....Taking....Over...."
Dan O woulda made a great Sphinx.

vaticanplum
02-08-2006, 10:06 AM
http://www.birdsinthebelfry.com/beattie_Q&A.htm

I just want to put in another plug (it's about my third on this site) for Birds in the Belfry. It's one of the best sites out there, a treasure trove of little information.

I'm surrounded by several Orioles fans in my life and they all think Beattie is an idiot, so my opinion has been somewhat colored by theirs. I really liked the idea of Mozeliak.

KronoRed
02-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Jim Beattie has had many, many years in baseball to accomplish something. He's not done it. Yes, he's had to deal with difficult payroll constraints and meddling owners, but that's not enough of an excuse; he's going to have a very, very difficult time walking into the Cincy job, too. I want a big time heavy-lifter. Beattie ain't it.
Beattie is what we had before without the binders.

CincyRedsFan30
02-08-2006, 10:41 AM
ESPN.com is pretty funny right now with the DDN report of Beattie at the top of the MLB headlines and the "Leaning toward Krivsky" title at the bottom of the headlines. :laugh:

traderumor
02-08-2006, 10:42 AM
I just want to put in another plug (it's about my third on this site) for Birds in the Belfry. It's one of the best sites out there, a treasure trove of little information.

That's some plug. Little information, eh? :evil: :laugh:

vaticanplum
02-08-2006, 10:52 AM
That's some plug. Little information, eh? :evil: :laugh:

Oh dang, I hate it when I forget how to speak. I think I probably meant to say a little treasure trove of information, who knows really.

ochre
02-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Chris Antonetti worked for Beattie in Montreal. Might that explain why (inside info) he didn't even interview?

registerthis
02-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Beattie is what we had before without the binders.

Well, yes.

Why we hire people (DanO) who have not had success with teams that are comparable to the Reds, or who had higher payrolls, and expect them to do well in Cinci is beyond me.

savafan
02-08-2006, 11:06 AM
This is an old article from the University of Washington Alumni

http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/june99/beattie.html

http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/june99/images/beattie.jpg

After his nine-year major-league baseball career came to an end in 1986, the last thing Jim Beattie wanted was to be known as a "former ballplayer." An M.B.A. degree, the Seattle Mariner pitcher decided, would give him a better feel for areas of business he was interested in-and "more credibility than just [being] an ex-jock." So he enrolled at the UW School of Business.

His instincts were right on the money. After receiving his M.B.A. from the UW in 1989, Beattie (who also has a bachelor's degree from Dartmouth) rejoined the Mariners as their director of player development. He spent six years overseeing the Mariners' minor league system, playing a role in major league player acquisition, contract negotiation and scouting.

Today, the "ex-jock" tag is long gone. Instead, Beattie, 44, is known as the man with perhaps the least enviable management position in baseball. As the vice president and general manager of the Montreal Expos for the past four years, he has had to trade away his young stars year after year because the Expos-by virtue of their small market-have the lowest payroll in baseball at $9 million. (The Mariners, by comparison, are near the upper third of baseball's food chain with a $53 million payroll.)

Those payroll constraints could loosen up if the Expos get a new stadium in downtown Montreal. The highly controversial matter--which depends on significant funding from the government--has been debated for months and is still unsettled. Recent rumors have had the Expos moving to the Washington, D.C., area. If the Expos don't get a new stadium, they will relocate, owners state.

Amid the uncertainty, Beattie credits his time at the UW with giving him the foundation to run a major league franchise. "The University didn't take too many people right out of undergraduate school," says the balding, 6-foot-6 Beattie. "Most had three to five years working experience. So it was fun to get back in class with people who appreciated studying and learning."

A fair major league pitcher (lifetime 52-87 record with the Yankees and Mariners) who appeared in the 1978 World Series with New York, Beattie knows how to develop talent. Among his successes is Mariner shortstop Alex Rodriguez. But many of his youngsters were traded for veterans. A prime example: In 1995, the Mariners traded three No. 1 draft picks (pitchers Roger Salkeld and Ron Villone and first baseman Marc Newfield) to get veteran pitchers Andy Benes and Tim Belcher.

"That's all part of player development," Beattie said. "Your job is to develop guys and get them ready for the big leagues, whether they play for you or not."

Those trades helped in the short run, as the Mariners reached the American League Championship Series in 1995-their best finish ever. Now the heat on Beattie to turn the Expos into a winner. "This is what I am working for," he says. -Gary Libman

ochre
02-08-2006, 11:10 AM
What was his role in the draft as director of player development with the Mariners? I keep seeing him being touted for "developing" ARod. That's not any kind of endorsement of Beattie's abilities. A naked mole rat could have "developed" ARod.

osuceltic
02-08-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm more than willing to give Beattie a chance. He was in positions in Montreal and Baltimore where he had no money (Montreal) or no control (Baltimore). But I'll bet he learned a great deal from both stops. Experience is important. It's not everything, but it's important. He brings a wide range of experience to the table, and some legitimacy within the baseball community. That in and of itself is valuable. I'm not sure the Reds had that before. In fact, I'm pretty sure they didn't. I'm not sure this front office has been respected -- or earned a lot of respect, quite frankly -- since before Jim Bowden took over.

Bill Belichick was an abject failure as a head coach in Cleveland. But he learned from the experience, and the next time he got a chance he became perhaps the best coach in the history of the National Football League. Most of you here never would have hired him after the Browns' fiasco. You would have gone for the hot young assistant. Maybe it would have worked out. Maybe not.

ochre
02-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Marvin Lewis was once a hot young assistant.

Caveman Techie
02-08-2006, 11:24 AM
If Beattie is the choice, then Cast has already spent a large portion of my goodwill that he earned by firring DanO. I'll give Beattie a chance but in my opinion he is not the best cantidate.

Krivsky or bust. :)

redsfan30
02-08-2006, 11:30 AM
I too will give Beattie a chance if it is indeed he that gets the job. I would rather have Wayne Krivsky, but if Jim Beattie gets it, he gets it. I'm willing to give anyone a chance.

I was against the Eric Milton signing before it was announced but once he offically became a Red, I'm going to root for him every step of the way.

vaticanplum
02-08-2006, 11:35 AM
(The Mariners, by comparison, are near the upper third of baseball's food chain with a $53 million payroll.)

This article is only six or seven years old. That makes me kind of sad.

But many of his youngsters were traded for veterans. A prime example: In 1995, the Mariners traded three No. 1 draft picks (pitchers Roger Salkeld and Ron Villone and first baseman Marc Newfield) to get veteran pitchers Andy Benes and Tim Belcher.

This is my biggest fear with Beattie. It's true that it's hard to judge his tenure with the Orioles given the fact that he shared his position and worked under Angelos, who is a control freak. But he does seem to have a penchant for making big deals. Tejada worked out. Others did not -- Palmerio and Ponson come to mind. He's offered tremendous amounts of money to certain players who were probably not worth it, like Konerko, and yet of all of the big deals he has made/has tried to make, the one he let get away was Guerrero. (I feel like I've said this before so sorry if I'm repeating myself.)

The Reds do not have the payroll that the Orioles do so it remains to be seen if he'd adjust to that or if he'd just continue making the same big-money mistakes, which obviously would be even more catastrophic in Cincinnati than in Baltimore (and that was a pretty catastrophic team last year). So I'm wary. On the other hand, my impression is that the Orioles do have a stronger farm system than the Reds, and I don't know how much Beattie had to do with that.

Reds4Life
02-08-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm going to be very disappointed if Beattie is the GM, there are much better options out there and they didn't even bother to offer DePodesta an interview.

flyer85
02-08-2006, 11:46 AM
a note of Beattie from Olney at ESPN

Sources are telling Hal McCoy that Jim Beattie will be the Reds' next general manager. This is what is in the grapevine: Red Sox exec Larry Lucchino has the ear of the Reds' new owner and has highly recommended Beattie -- who Lucchino tried to hire last fall as a replacement for Theo Epstein.

lollipopcurve
02-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Red Sox exec Larry Lucchino has the ear of the Reds' new owner and has highly recommended Beattie -- who Lucchino tried to hire last fall as a replacement for Theo Epstein.

We kinda already knew that Castellini and Lucchino were friends of a sort. Big Bob better have a more independent strategy for building a winner than hitching his wagon to industry insiders who happen to field a product that competes with his.

Besides, I will be sick to my stomach if Beattie starts talking trade with Uncle Larry in Boston. He'll get fleeced.

westofyou
02-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Big Bob better have a more independent strategy for building a winner than hitching his wagon to industry insiders who happen to field a product that competes with his.

"Baseball is one of the only businesses where your partners are also your competition."

Phil Wrigley

Caveat Emperor
02-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Dan O woulda made a great Sphinx.

:obrien: "When you quote no developments in status, you develop the status quo."

Krusty
02-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Whoever is named the GM will have to deal with the people that are in the baseball operations. Assistant GM Dean Taylor has two years to go on his contract. Is ownership willing to eat another contract? What about scouting director Reynolds? Do the Reds eat his contract to bring in someone the new GM wants? What about Kullman and Maddox? Seems like it would be hard to work with someone who you lost out competing for the same job.

guttle11
02-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Give it time people. I really haven't been sold on any of the GM candidates, but we could do fr worse than Beattie.

westofyou
02-08-2006, 12:46 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

A report that Jim Beattie has been chosen as the new Reds general manager is "not true," a source close to the situation said today.

Joe Bride, a spokesman for Bob Castellini, said the process is still ongoing.

"There are interviews today," said Bride. "We're hopeful of winding this up by the end of the week."

A source confirmed that at least two finalists -- Beattie and Wayne Krivsky -- are going through a second round of interviews today in Cincinnati.

Jpup
02-08-2006, 12:47 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

:jump:

Nice find. I guess that clears that up.:thumbup:

CincyRedsFan30
02-08-2006, 12:52 PM
This makes more sense. Maybe they ARE still leaning toward Krivsky. ;)

savafan
02-08-2006, 01:16 PM
This makes more sense. Maybe they ARE still leaning toward Krivsky. ;)

Why not, if they hire Krivsky then they have Krivsky and Beattie...makes sense to me.

redsfan30
02-08-2006, 01:18 PM
This story has more twists and turns than a country road.

savafan
02-08-2006, 01:23 PM
You get the feeling, for whatever reason, that Hal McCoy is pulling for Jim Beattie. At least, based on his article, I get that feeling.

KronoRed
02-08-2006, 01:25 PM
You get the feeling, for whatever reason, that Hal McCoy is pulling for Jim Beattie. At least, based on his article, I get that feeling.
He's an old vet..of course Hal wants him on board

Chip R
02-08-2006, 01:32 PM

He better be. He'll have mucho egg on his face if Krivsky gets the job when he said Beattie had it.

traderumor
02-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Hal's sources are either constantly feeding him bad information or he just doesn't need much of a lead to run with it, but he is pretty far down on the credibility chain. He makes Peter Gammons look like a historical scholar who meticulously checks his facts in comparison.

redsfan30
02-08-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm a Hal supporter, but that being said.....it's been a rough winter for the old guy.

ochre
02-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Non authoritative look at the drafts of the Expos-Twins-Reds from the years that the concerned parties would have both been key cogs in that machine (level reached by players drafted by said team; could have later been drafted by someone else):

--99--
---Expos: ---Twins ---Reds
5 MLB 4 MLB 5 MLB
4 AAA 8 AAA 3 AAA
7 AA 6 AA 4 AA
7 A 10 A 13 A
0 Rookie 7 Rookie 11 Rookie

---Expos ---Twins ---Reds
5 MLB 3 MLB 3 MLB
3 AAA 5 AAA 6 AAA
3 AA 4 AA 4 AA
14 A 7 A 8 A
4 Rookie 11 Rookie 11 Rookie

---Expos ---Twins ---Reds
2 MLB 1 MLB 0 MLB
3 AAA 3 AAA 4 AAA
3 AA 8 AA 5 AA
11 A 16 A 13 A
2 Rookie 3 Rookie 5 Rookie

The Baseball Cube has some data normalization issues. They don't appear to use a seperate unique key for players in general, particularly for obscure players. This led to (at least) one player that had MLB time before he was born (same name as an older Major Leaguer). In general this is probably a useless study, but I was curious and had already built the spreadsheets, so...

redsfan30
02-08-2006, 02:10 PM
The Hal McCoy report just ran on the bottom line on ESPN2 saying that there are "strong indications" that Jim Beattie will be named General Manager.

markymark69
02-08-2006, 03:34 PM
1360 Homer just reported and said it was no joke that Wayne Krivsky will be announced at 6 p.m. tonight as the new Reds GM.

Z-Fly
02-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Wayne is in! I like this hire.

M2
02-08-2006, 03:40 PM
If Krivsky's announced tonight then Hal needs a benching.

Chip R
02-08-2006, 03:43 PM
If Krivsky's announced tonight then Hal needs a benching.

But he's a Hall of Famer. Or should I say Hall of Lamer?

tsj017
02-08-2006, 04:37 PM
So what's that style of sportswriting that Gammons invented again? Is it "Red Sox-centric" or just "usually wrong"?

No, wait: "self-impressed". Yeah, that's it!

M2
02-08-2006, 05:24 PM
So what's that style of sportswriting that Gammons invented again? Is it "Red Sox-centric" or just "usually wrong"?

No, wait: "self-impressed". Yeah, that's it!

You know that big, full-page column that takes a trip around a given pro sport you see in Sunday sports sections? Peter Gammons invented that for all intensive purposes. Before Gammons what you got was local team coverage and barely a mention of what's going on in other cities or with the game in general. Gammons was the first guy to reach out to scouts and the numbers community and give them a mass market platform.

Prior to Gammons, jock sniffers ruled the sports page analysis roost and Gammons basically put those types out to pasture by daring to go beyond the players and manager to get his information. He didn't just change the way baseball's covered. Sports coverage in every other sport has followed suit.

He also changed game coverage by interspersing a far greater amount of historical and statistical detail into his game stories. Before Gammons you'd rarely read that the RHB who K'd against an RHP to end the game has been struggling against RHPs all year long. Gammons paved that road too.

Though thanks for emptying out the Gammons complaint drool cup. Why so many people can't figure out that just because two teams are talking about a deal doesn't mean it's going to happen eludes me, but clearly they can't.

Puffy
02-08-2006, 07:31 PM
You know that big, full-page column that takes a trip around a given pro sport you see in Sunday sports sections? Peter Gammons invented that for all intensive purposes. Before Gammons what you got was local team coverage and barely a mention of what's going on in other cities or with the game in general. Gammons was the first guy to reach out to scouts and the numbers community and give them a mass market platform.

Prior to Gammons, jock sniffers ruled the sports page analysis roost and Gammons basically put those types out to pasture by daring to go beyond the players and manager to get his information. He didn't just change the way baseball's covered. Sports coverage in every other sport has followed suit.

He also changed game coverage by interspersing a far greater amount of historical and statistical detail into his game stories. Before Gammons you'd rarely read that the RHB who K'd against an RHP to end the game has been struggling against RHPs all year long. Gammons paved that road too.

Though thanks for emptying out the Gammons complaint drool cup. Why so many people can't figure out that just because two teams are talking about a deal doesn't mean it's going to happen eludes me, but clearly they can't.

:clap: :clap: :clap: