PDA

View Full Version : Report: Jim Beattie Likely to be Named GM - or not

Crash Davis
02-08-2006, 01:07 AM
From rotoworld:

The Dayton Daily News reports that Jim Beattie will likely be named the Reds' general manager.
The work Beattie did in Baltimore hardly makes him appear worthy of another chance, though that team's record wasn't even close to being all his fault. Maybe it would be a short-term hire in case some better candidates became available next winter.

Crash Davis
02-08-2006, 01:08 AM
D'oh! I'm a day late on this news. Sorry about that.

Please close this thread. I should know better than to think I had actual news that Redszone hadn't previously unearthed.

Jpup
02-08-2006, 07:27 AM
D'oh! I'm a day late on this news. Sorry about that.

Please close this thread. I should know better than to think I had actual news that Redszone hadn't previously unearthed.

I hadn't seen it anywhere on ORG.

I said all along and still think that it will be Beattie. "Good ole boys, causin' no harm." :bang:

I hope Hal and co. is wrong about this one.

Jpup
02-08-2006, 07:57 AM
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060208/SPT05/602080324/1027

It appears an exhaustive first round of interviews may have been enough to determine the Reds' next general manager.

Indications are the team will name a replacement for Dan O'Brien by Thursday at the latest, with the list of contenders shrinking to the point that a second round of formal interviews may not be necessary.

Atop the list of those still in the mix is Reds special advisor Jim Beattie, who has by far the most experience as a GM of any of the nine known candidates for the job. Beattie said Tuesday he would prefer to reserve comment, but a source said the former Expos and Orioles general manager has met with those conducting the search at least once since his formal interview Friday.

One published report said Beattie was the choice to get the job, but that could not be confirmed Tuesday night.

Minnesota Twins assistant GM Wayne Krivsky and Atlanta Braves assistant GM Frank Wren were thought to be the two strongest candidates besides Beattie. Neither returned repeated phone calls seeking comment.

Earlier Tuesday, the Reds began informing some who had interviewed that they were no longer being considered for the job. Philadelphia Phillies assistant GM Mike Arbuckle said he was told he had been eliminated, and there were indications that Reds director of major league operations Brad Kullman and special assistant to the GM Leland Maddox were out as well. Neither Kullman nor Maddox returned calls.

Reds director of international scouting and player development Johnny Almaraz said Tuesday night that he had not heard anything from the search committee, but he is scheduled to be in Cincinnati for unrelated meetings today and may find out his status then. Almaraz is not expected to make the final cut.

The other two men known to have interviewed, Chicago White Sox director of player development David Wilder and St. Louis Cardinals assistant GM John Mozeliak, did not respond to messages.

A Reds spokesman said Tuesday night that the team would not release any more information about the search process until a hire is made.

I thought I would post this due to the Beattie rumors floating around. Marc is my most trusted member of the Cincinnati press, I'll stick with him and continue to hope that Krivsky and Wren are still possible replacements. Wilder was confirmed by a Chicago paper as not getting the job.

StillFunkyB
02-08-2006, 08:35 AM
6 of 1, half dozen of the other......

This is EXACTLY what I didn't want to hear.

creek14
02-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Reds should be looking at Dodgers assistant GM
Ng, who would be the sport's first female GM, is eventually going to make some organization look brilliant.
By Mike Waldner
Daily Breeze

Bob Castellini was approved as new owner of the Cincinnati Reds on the 19th day of January. Four days later, he fired his general manager.

Why?

What could Dan O'Brien, now the former Cincinnati GM, possibly have done in four days to get himself fired?

How could Castellini have nine candidates for the GM job without including Kim Ng, vice president and assistant GM of the Dodgers?

Bud Selig, lord high commissioner of baseball, needs to conduct seminars for new owners.

As it is, new guys are on their own. They take over, take stock for a couple of minutes and then take a leap of faith by firing the general manager and hiring the first suspect to catch their fancy.

That's what happened when the Fox people started running the Dodgers. Out went Fred Claire, a capable general manager with a solid track record. In came Kevin Malone, who won unanimous criticism.

It was the same when Frank McCourt went deep into debt to buy the Dodgers. He fired Dan Evans, another capable GM with a solid if short track record. He hired boy wonder Paul DePodesta, who quickly proved to be as overmatched as Evans.

McCourt fired DePodesta following the disappointments of last summer. New hire Ned Colletti is doing a good job rebuilding for next season without gutting a farm system that promises to provide the foundation of a good team. This prompts speculation McCourt is learning.

Selig needs to sit down with each new owner and explain the need to take a year or so to evaluate front office personnel. The year or so will also provide time to get a feel of the business of baseball.

The commissioner is uniquely qualified to discuss mistakes. He made them all during his years as owner of the Milwaukee Brewers.

As a wealthy (he's identified as a produce magnate) former minority owner of the Rangers and Cardinals, Castellini sees himself as the exception. If he could push his ego aside, he would know all he really knew as minority owner was how to make sure he got good seats when he flew into town from his headquarters in Cincinnati.

What he really needs to know is he should be calling Dodger Stadium.

He should be calling Ng.

She started out in baseball with the White Sox, worked for the American League, moved to the Yankees and then the Dodgers. She's seen it done right, wrong and various degrees in the middle.

Her responses to questions in the wake of the hiring of Colletti made it clear she gets it.

She was a candidate for the job. Colletti was assistant general manager of the Giants.

"Do you recognize any difference in his resume and yours?" a reported asked.

"Yeah, he's got a lot more gray hair than I do," she joked.

A sense of humor helps cut the tension that comes with being GM.

"He's been in the game for 25 years," she said. "I've been in for 15. There's a lot of difference."

This ability to be specific is what Castellini is seeking in his GM.

Ng understands how the interview process with McCourt will help her down the line.

"He made me go through a self-analysis," she said. "What you've seen here, what you think it takes, what you think you have, what you think you need to work on. That's the process you need to go through to improve as a baseball executive."

It was a roller coaster week.

"I was really fired up," she said. "Of course, it was a disappointment at the end. But you just had to come back. We have a lot of work to do."

This bounce-back attitude is another plus point for a GM.

Did she wonder if Colletti, like Malone, and like so many owners, would clean house so he could bring in his own people?

"I don't deal with things like that," she said. "I wait for events to happen before I react. That serves me well, especially in this business. There is a lot of volatility. There is a lot of turnover. If I thought like that, I wouldn't sleep very much."

This ability to remain calm is yet another plus point for a GM.

The thought is circulated that a woman cannot be general manager of a Major League Baseball team for all the so-called obvious if incorrect reasons.

Ng's reaction?

"I think at one time people might have said that about PR guys," she said.

Can you imagine some of the crusty managers of yesteryear, from Ty Cobb to Leo Durocher, reporting to a public relations executive turned general manager?

"We've had Fred Claire and right now we've got Ned Colletti," she said. "And we had Ed Wade (with the Phillies), who started out as a PR intern.

"There are a lot of names out there that have never played professional baseball. So I'm not sure that we're outside of the realm of a woman doing the job."

She's correct. Contrary to what they seem to think in Cincinnati, a qualified woman can be a Major League Baseball general manager.

Kim Ng is qualified.

E-mail your thoughts to Mike Waldner at Mwsptcol@aol.com.

RFS62
02-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Bob Castellini was approved as new owner of the Cincinnati Reds on the 19th day of January. Four days later, he fired his general manager.

Why?

What could Dan O'Brien, now the former Cincinnati GM, possibly have done in four days to get himself fired?

Has this guy even been watching the Reds?

Bud Selig, lord high commissioner of baseball, needs to conduct seminars for new owners.

As it is, new guys are on their own. They take over, take stock for a couple of minutes and then take a leap of faith by firing the general manager and hiring the first suspect to catch their fancy.

Selig needs to sit down with each new owner and explain the need to take a year or so to evaluate front office personnel. The year or so will also provide time to get a feel of the business of baseball.

Good lord. Take a year or two to figure out how DanO was doing. Yep, that should go over well.

I agree with the writer that Ng is an outstanding candidate. The rest of this article is beyond naive.

registerthis
02-08-2006, 10:13 AM
The Reds have done a great job building a consistent winner and juggernaut of a team that will be competitive for years to come--they can practically count all of the WS trophies they'll be winning. I can see why they wanted to look inward for their new leader. After all, why mess with a good thing?

KronoRed
02-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Force teams and fans to wait out GM's we knew on day 1 were bad?

No thanks.

Chip R
02-08-2006, 11:39 AM
I kinda hope Wren gets the job so I can watch the meltdown on draft day when he drafts a high school pitcher.

Joseph
02-08-2006, 01:30 PM
I wanted Ng to get the job too, but some of this stuff is beyond insane.

UKFlounder
02-08-2006, 03:18 PM
The Reds have done a great job building a consistent winner and juggernaut of a team that will be competitive for years to come--they can practically count all of the WS trophies they'll be winning. I can see why they wanted to look inward for their new leader. After all, why mess with a good thing?

Looking inward? Beattie has been here for what, 2 weeks? He's hardly a Reds insider who has been here through all the bad years.

That's not saying he's a good candidate, but to call him an insider seems strange to me.

cReds1
02-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Reds should be looking at Dodgers assistant GM
Ng, who would be the sport's first female GM, is eventually going to make some organization look brilliant.

I agree with you creek. I mentioned her before in another thread a while back. Once again, this sounds like the cheap way out instead of selecting one with a winning organizational background, like either ATL or STL.

Sea Ray
02-08-2006, 04:26 PM
The only thing that sets Ng apart from the other candidates is she is female and I'm not so sure that should give her a leg up. Thank goodness this isn't the U of Mich we're talking about here. Bob doesn't have to meet any affirmative action quotas in who he hires.

Castellini has had plenty of time to decide OB wasn't worthy of keeping his job.

Despite Hal's article, my gut feeling is they have not yet decided on who they want. Time will tell whether Hal's on the money or not but I would think if it's between Beattie and Krivsky then they'd give the GM job to Krivsky since Beattie is already under contract. Thus if they go that direction they can keep them both. Why not have your cake and eat it too? Sure Krivsky may have to look over his shoulder a bit but I think that's a good thing. He ought to feel his job is on the line everyday as his players should as well.

Matt700wlw
02-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Not very good reporting by the reporters....it's Krivsky

WAYNE KRIVSKY NAMED REDS GENERAL MANAGER

To Be Introduced At A Press Conference Tonight

CINCINNATI - Cincinnati Reds chief executive officer Bob Castellini today announced Wayne Krivsky as the club’s general manager. Krivsky signed a 2-year contract through the 2007 season with two 1-year mutual options.

Castellini will introduce Krivsky at a 6:00 p.m. ET press conference tonight in the field level interview room at Great American Ball Park.

Krivsky, 51, was selected from a field of eight announced candidates that also included Reds special advisor to the CEO Jim Beattie, Reds director of Major League operations Brad Kullman, Reds director of international scouting Johnny Almaraz, Reds special assistant to the GM Leland Maddox, Cardinals assistant general manager John Mozeliak, Phillies assistant general manager/scouting and player development Mike Arbuckle and Braves vice president/assistant general manager Frank Wren.

Krivsky is in his 30th season in a Major League Baseball front office. He has spent the last 27 years in baseball administration, including the last 25 as assistant or special assistant to general managers for the Texas Rangers and Minnesota Twins.

Krivsky brings to the organization 27 years of scouting and player evaluation experience at all levels of development. Since 1985 his duties have included extensive professional scouting.

In addition to his scouting experience, since 1981 Krivsky has been involved in the contract negotiations of Major League players and the preparation and resoluation of salary arbitration cases. He has a 25-year working knowledge of Major League Baseball’s rules and provisions of the Basic Agreement.

Krivsky began his baseball career in January 1977 in the ticket department of the Rangers. He joined the baseball operations department 2 years later as assistant director of player development and scouting.

In October 1980 Krivksy was promoted to assistant general manager and worked in that capacity for the Rangers until he was hired by the Twins in December 1994 as special assistant to general manager Terry Ryan. He was promoted to assistant general manager for the Twins on November 30, 1998 and spent more than 8 years in that position before he was hired by the Reds.

While with the Twins Krivsky assisted Ryan in negotiating contracts for Major League players, including salary arbitration cases and multi-year deals. He helped negotiate multi-year contracts for Twins stars Torii Hunter, Joe Mays, Corey Koskie, Jacque Jones and Shannon Stewart. Krivsky also worked on Brad Radke’s first multi-year deal.

While at Minnesota Krivsky was involved in all professional scouting, including coverage of National League teams, the Twins’ minor league affiliates, the Arizona Fall League and special assignments.

He represented the Twins organization at all Labor Relations meetings related to salary arbitration and assisted in formulating cases with club counsel. Krivsky also advised the Twins’ baseball department on waiver rules, rosters and the basic agreement.

Falls City Beer
02-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Bob doesn't have to meet any affirmative action quotas in who he hires.

Yeah, you sure wouldn't want to see the Reds succeed to the degree U of M does in its line of business--you know, one of only a handful of public universities that regularly compete with Ivy League schools for Nobel Prize winners, endowment, and prestige.

Falls City Beer
02-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Phew. Count me pretty happy. Not delighted, but hopeful.

Thanks Bob; you saved us fans from a guaranteed disaster of a GM-ing tenure.

flyer85
02-08-2006, 04:42 PM
I guess Hal's inside source was more on the outside.

Can't help but chuckle.

Johnny Footstool
02-08-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm impressed that Castellini didn't just hire his good buddy Beattie. He actually appears to have put aside personal feelings and gone with who he feels is the better candidate. I really like that kind of thinking.

Doc. Scott
02-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Poor Hal. I say this out of genuine sympathy, friend- please just retire. It's been a good run.

Chip R
02-08-2006, 04:54 PM
I wanted Ng to get the job too, but some of this stuff is beyond insane.

Perhaps Ng didn't want to interview for the job. It's not like Cincinnati has a huge Asian community. Perhaps she didn't think she'd be comfortable here. Perhaps she wanted a better situation than what is here.

MWM
02-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Yeah, you sure wouldn't want to see the Reds succeed to the degree U of M does in its line of business--you know, one of only a handful of public universities that regularly compete with Ivy League schools for Nobel Prize winners, endowment, and prestige.

Seriously! I'm a student right now at the U of M and and the experience would be so much less than what it is without the policies they have in place to ensure a diverse student body. With few exceptions, the student population here fully endorses the practice.

And to echo your sentiments on the new GM, I'm relieved, but not jumping for joy. The only two from the list who scared me were Beattie and Arbuckle. Krivsky seems like a reasonable selection with the right qualifications.

The problem with this process is that all of the candidates are virtually unknown, so you're taking a risk no matter who is selected. Rarely are proven successful GMs available. And even if they were available, they'd be highly sought after and the Reds would be on the bottom of the list of where they'd want to go. I like the idea of giving it to a younger and hungrier up and comer.

MWM
02-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Poor Hal. I say this out of genuine sympathy, friend- please just retire. It's been a good run.

What Doc said.

Sea Ray
02-08-2006, 05:06 PM

I don't know how many Nobel Prize winners their Law School has produced but I'm sure it's not due to discriminating against white people.

Back on subject, I say hooray to Castellini on his hire and I'm glad he did it in a timely manner. Spring training doesn't start for another week. The fact that this was done so quickly was another point the press missed on while reporting this. I think they made a fine decision. Actually they get to "hire" about half the candidates because folks like Leland Maddox, Kullman and Beattie all get to stay on with the club.

Sea Ray
02-08-2006, 05:07 PM
What Doc said.

Ditto

KronoRed
02-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Triple ditto.

WebScorpion
02-08-2006, 08:54 PM
My only problem with Krivsky was that I hated that dorky looking mustache he was sporting...it appears that he's DX'ed the facial hair for a clean, mature look. I'm willing to keep an open mind about his abilities at this point. Minnesota has been successful during his tenure, but I'm not sure how much of that he's responsible for and how much he's absorbed from the others involved. For now, it looks like a better choice than most of the others available. Color me optimistic. :thumbup:

Sea Ray
02-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Minnesota has been successful during his tenure, but I'm not sure how much of that he's responsible for and how much he's absorbed from the others involved. For now, it looks like a better choice than most of the others available. Color me optimistic. :thumbup:

The only issue really is how much he learned from his experience at Minnesota and Texas. As an asst GM it's safe to say he was actually responsible for very little. The final say would always lie with a higher up. But did he learn from those organizations, both things they did well and things they screwed up.