PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Tony to hit Prime Time....

Blimpie
02-08-2006, 12:52 PM
I hadn't seen this posted anywhere yet. Tirico is a solid PBP man and I am a huge Kornheiser fan, but is there anyway that I can mute JUST Joe Theismann?

Feb 8, 10:48 AM EST

ESPN Names Crew for Monday Night Football

BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) -- Former quarterback Joe Theismann, Washington Post columnist Tony Kornheiser and Mike Tirico will be the broadcast crew for "Monday Night Football" next season as the long-running show shifts to ESPN from ABC.

The moves leave Al Michaels free to switch to NBC, which takes over Sunday night games next season from ESPN. John Madden, Michaels' broadcast partner for the last four seasons, agreed in June to a six-year contract with NBC.

At a news conference in July, Michaels said he would remain with "Monday Night Football" when it switched to ESPN. He was to be paired with Theismann, who had broadcast Sunday night games on ESPN with Mike Patrick and Paul Maguire.

Mike Breen will replace Michaels as the lead NBA play-by-play announcer on ABC/ESPN. He will be joined by former NBA coach Hubie Brown, hired in December 2004 as the analyst.

Theismann was an NFL quarterback for 12 seasons and had worked on ESPN's Sunday night games since 1988. In addition to working for the Post, Kornheiser has co-hosted "Pardon the Interruption" on ESPN since September 2001 with Michael Wilbon, another Post writer.

Tirico has been a "SportsCenter" host for ESPN and handled play-by-play of the last Orange Bowl. He has worked for ESPN and ABC since 1991.

Michele Tafoya returns for her third season as a "Monday Night Football" sideline reporter, and Suzy Kolber replaces Sam Ryan.

KronoRed
02-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Al Michaels on NBC

Just doesn't seem right.

danforsman
02-08-2006, 12:59 PM
The question is how Mr. Tony's going to get all the way out to the West Coast for those games, knowing his incredible fear of flying. Maybe he'll voice in from his living room? Also, those games run awfully late knowing that he's usually asleep by 9:30. Maybe ESPN will push the start time up to about 6:00 Eastern.

Roy Tucker
02-08-2006, 01:01 PM
I read where the NBC Sunday night game with Michaels/Madden will be promoted by the NFL as THE premier prime-time game.

While the ESPN Monday night game will have the same status as the previous ESPN Sunday night game, i.e. second-tier.

Blimpie
02-08-2006, 01:07 PM
I read where the NBC Sunday night game with Michaels/Madden will be promoted by the NFL as THE premier prime-time game.

While the ESPN Monday night game will have the same status as the previous ESPN Sunday night game, i.e. second-tier.If true, I feel that would be a huge mistake for the league. I like things exactly the way that they are right now. MNF is the crown jewel for prime time games. How can a Sunday night game hold marquis value when there has already been 13-15 games played earlier in the same day?

savafan
02-08-2006, 01:17 PM

While the ESPN Monday night game will have the same status as the previous ESPN Sunday night game, i.e. second-tier.

I read this too

Danny Serafini
02-08-2006, 02:12 PM
As much as I like Tony Kornheiser, this stinks because the radio show will go on hiatus during the football season.

Red Leader
02-08-2006, 02:16 PM
I thought this thread was about someone (Tony Perez?) laying the smack down on Deion Sanders.

Reds Fanatic
02-08-2006, 02:16 PM

It is true. The Sunday night game is going to be the game in which they will change the schedule late in the year to always put an important game on in that time. The Monday night game they will not change the schedule. Whatever games they get will not be changed.

KronoRed
02-08-2006, 02:17 PM
I thought this thread was about someone (Tony Perez?) laying the smack down on Deion Sanders.
Saving that for mid season

RFS62
02-08-2006, 02:27 PM

I'd pay to see that.

pedro
02-08-2006, 02:29 PM
I thought it was about the "Tony Awards" and that MWM and Superbarry were going to be over here talking about their favorite stage actors.

cumberlandreds
02-08-2006, 02:32 PM
As much as I like Tony Kornheiser, this stinks because the radio show will go on hiatus during the football season.

Me too! I really like his radio show. But I think he will be good at this as long as he just stays his sarcastic self.

Crash Davis
02-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Love Mr. Tony...hate this news. What the hell does Mr. Tony know about football? Thiesmann is bad enough, Tirico is far from my 1st choice for play-by-play and Mr. Tony is not somebody I want in a football booth.

Much like his Jason Alexander sitcom, this has disaster written all over it. Why can't he just stick to what he does better than anybody else and stay with radio? It's disappointing that someone as smart as he gets so caught up in the less desirable aspects of fame.

redsfanmia
02-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Fat, bald, and orange Mr. Tony will do just fine on monday night football. He is smart, funny, and different. Lets not poo poo this before we see what kind of job he will do, I for one am looking forward to seeing and hearing Mr. Tony on the broadcasts.

IowaRed
02-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Fat, bald, and orange Mr. Tony will do just fine on monday night football. He is smart, funny, and different. Lets not poo poo this before we see what kind of job he will do, I for one am looking forward to seeing and hearing Mr. Tony on the broadcasts.

Amen. The great thing about Kornheiser is he doesn't care what anybody wants or expects him to be. He doesn't have athletes on his radio show because he doesn't want to. Once he gets comfortable he will be the same, critical, sarcastic, and self-deprecating Tony that some of us love already. Whether hard-core football fans will love it is another story

Cedric
02-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Tirico is the worst in my opinion. Kornheiser works though.

Sabo Fan
02-09-2006, 03:21 AM
Tirico? What's wrong with keeping Mike Patrick in the booth? He's one of my favorite play-by-play guys and I think he does a nice job broadcasting both football and basketball. I know Patrick did have some health problems last year, so maybe he's cutting back, but otherwise he's the guy I'd want in the booth.

Kornheiser is a favorite of mine, so I like the move. As long as this in no way effects PTI, I'm happy.

Chip R
02-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Amen. The great thing about Kornheiser is he doesn't care what anybody wants or expects him to be. He doesn't have athletes on his radio show because he doesn't want to. Once he gets comfortable he will be the same, critical, sarcastic, and self-deprecating Tony that some of us love already. Whether hard-core football fans will love it is another story

The problem is he won't be allowed to be critical and sarcastic. If he is he'll get criticized for it. If he changes then he'll get criticized for not being critical and sarcastic. They will neuter him so fast it won't be funny or he'll do it himself. It's going to be difficult to translate what made him popular on his own talk show to a football game where you have a play by play guy and an analyst who both have to talk quite a bit.

Joseph
02-09-2006, 12:54 PM
I love TK. Mad man love. He's absolutely an idol of mine.

As for affecting PTI, on Mondays the show will be on location from wherever MNF is originating from. For those who still listen to him on the radio, he's pretty much going on hiatus during football season from the radio he's said.

IowaRed
02-09-2006, 01:45 PM
The problem is he won't be allowed to be critical and sarcastic. If he is he'll get criticized for it. If he changes then he'll get criticized for not being critical and sarcastic. They will neuter him so fast it won't be funny or he'll do it himself. It's going to be difficult to translate what made him popular on his own talk show to a football game where you have a play by play guy and an analyst who both have to talk quite a bit.

Understood and I agree to a point. The network has to know what they were getting when they hired him and to want to change that very much would be foolish. Foolish to hire him in the first place or foolish to think he will be good at being a "corporate" guy. So my hope is that they hired him for who he is and not who they want him to be-there are a lot more flexible announcers out there for them to mold, if that was their goal. I'm sure he will censor himself to a point and won't be talking about his dog or building his new fence.

Reds Fanatic
02-09-2006, 02:35 PM
With the new Monday night crew Al Michaels will move to NBC and do the Sunday night games with Madden.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2324417

In the deadly serious business of sports, a cartoon character from 1927 played a role in Al Michaels' hop from Monday Night Football to NBC.

The network traded rights to Ryder Cup matches, Olympics highlights, historic cartoon character Oswald the Rabbit and more to ESPN to acquire the services of Emmy-winner Michaels for its Sunday night games it was announced Thursday.

NBC takes over Sunday night next season from ESPN, which will broadcast Monday Night Football. John Madden, Michaels' partner for the last four seasons, agreed in June to a six-year contract with NBC.

Besides Madden and Michaels, NBC will have Bob Costas and Cris Collinsworth as co-hosts of the network's studio show.

"When we made the deal with the NFL this spring, there were four key stars I knew I wanted to build our football team around, but I wondered from the beginning, if I would be lucky enough to get them all," NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol said in a statement Thursday.

To get the final piece of Ebersol's team, NBC gave ESPN broader access to the Olympics, Ryder Cup golf, Notre Dame football, the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness.

NBC also returned Oswald the Rabbit to The Walt Disney Company almost 80 years after the character played a role in the development of Disney's signature icon.

Walt Disney produced 26 Oswald cartoons in 1927, but Universal distributed the series and owned the rights to the character, prompting Disney to develop Mickey Mouse.

Specifically, ESPN gets:

• Rights to broadcast live Friday coverage of the Ryder Cup golf championship between the United States and Europe in 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014, as well as the right to re-air NBC coverage and extended highlights.

• Expanded Olympics highlights from this year through 2012.

• Monday Night Football promotions during the NBC Sunday night through 2011.

• Expanded highlights from Notre Dame football, the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness through 2011.

When the Monday games move to ESPN next season, retired quarterback Joe Theismann, Washington Post columnist Tony Kornheiser and Mike Tirico will be in the ESPN booth.

Michaels had been with ABC since 1976 and had been the play-by-play voice of Monday Night Football since 1986, when he replaced Frank Gifford.

Chip R
02-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Understood and I agree to a point. The network has to know what they were getting when they hired him and to want to change that very much would be foolish. Foolish to hire him in the first place or foolish to think he will be good at being a "corporate" guy. So my hope is that they hired him for who he is and not who they want him to be-there are a lot more flexible announcers out there for them to mold, if that was their goal. I'm sure he will censor himself to a point and won't be talking about his dog or building his new fence.

Hopefully that won't be a problem and he can find a happy medium between being a wiseass and not ruffling too many feathers. It's different saying things behind a microphone inside a studio and saying it during a game where you actually talk to the athletes the day of and before the game.

That may not even be as much of a problem as his ****ick translating to people watching the game. Right now on his show and PTI, he can basically talk about a subject for however long it pleases him. Is he even going to be able to get a word in edgewise with Theismann in the booth? If he does, what is he going to say? This has all the earmarks of the suits at ESPN seeing that PTI and Tony's radio show are popular and Tony has a really good Q rating so naturally he should be able to be a good 3rd man in the broadcast booth. Dennis Miller was popular and he went over like a lead balloon on MNF. I'm sure that seemed like a good idea at the time. Would someone like Jim Rome be a good 3rd man in a booth? I mean how long would it take for viewers to get sick of him saying, "Man, that was awesome" after each play? It's not even a question of knowing football either. It'd be good if it worked out for him but he just might end up quitting after a year or two and going back to the show full time.

KronoRed
02-09-2006, 02:56 PM
I think NBC overpaid ;)

Danny Serafini
02-09-2006, 03:04 PM
NBC also returned Oswald the Rabbit to The Walt Disney Company almost 80 years after the character played a role in the development of Disney's signature icon.

I wonder how Al Michaels feels about being traded for this guy:

http://www.vitaphone.org/oswalddd.jpg